iPad teardown reveals a 'gorgeous,' symmetrical interior

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 65
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Samsung is only acting as chip fab for Apple... Apple owns the A4 chip design and nobody else can use it without their permission and unlike a shady 'software vendor' in Taiwan, Samsung isn't gonna just start knocking off their own supply on a whim.

As for Samsung doing a tablet 'knockoff' sure they could... but as with all Apple products, the design (as elegant as it is) is only part of the equation...

Samsung don't need Apples A4 chip, they have their own Hummingbird processor, which has significantly better graphics performance than the Snapdragon.

The Hummingbird runs at 1 Ghz and the graphics section can render 90 M triangles a second, by comparison, the processor in the iPhone 3gs processor can render 28 M.

All this tends to confirm my belief that Apple did not name Samsung in it's recent patent dispute with other smartphone manufacturers because they know which side of their bread the butters on. They simply can't afford to annoy Samsung.
  • Reply 62 of 65
    campercamper Posts: 30member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You don't think engineering can be gorgeous? By my reckoning, the very definition of good enginnering includes gorgeous designs.

I was referring to the ridiculous amount of hype being thrown around here.
  • Reply 63 of 65
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

Yes, miss my Dino... :cry:

Did it get repossessed?
  • Reply 64 of 65
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You don't think engineering can be gorgeous? By my reckoning, the very definition of good enginnering includes gorgeous designs.

I think it was James D. Watson that stated they knew when they got DNA right because it was an elegant design, not in spite of.

No disagreement from me, but I wouldn't include natural structures and phenomena (DNA) in the category of engineering.
  • Reply 65 of 65
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

No disagreement from me, but I wouldn't include natural structures and phenomena (DNA) in the category of engineering.

I think that solipsism's use of the DNA molecule is appropriate because sometimes we draw our inspirations from nature. Golden ratio or mean ratio in Geometry for example and the nautilus cephalopod and the double helix of a DNA molecule