iPad: The fact that I can't save PDF files from safari is a deal breaker

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iEatApple View Post

So you have to PAY MONEY to Apple for contents.

No you don't. You can buy a CD and rip it with iTunes and transfer it to the iPhone. Apple don't sell CDs, so in that case you haven't paid Apple for content. You can buy a DVD and rip it with VLC+Handbrake with suitable iPhone settings, and transfer it to the iPhone. Apple don't sell DVDs so in that case you haven't paid Apple for content. You can buy a Blu-ray disk and rip it with MakeMKV, then convert with handbrake to suitable iPhone settings, and transfer it to the iPhone. Apple don't sell Blu-rays so in that case you haven't paid Apple for content.

Quote:

Why Apple does NOT support Flash on iPad? So you can NOT watch a clip free via a browser.

Obviously you haven't heard that

a.) The hardware-accelerated version of Flash for mobile devices isn't even available yet, even if Apple did want to put it in the iPhone.

b.) The iPhone has a YouTube app for watching YouTube content.

Quote:

If you want to watch a movie, you must pay for it!

The bastards won't help you to steal? Damn them!

Quote:

BTW, did you ever wonder why you could not change battery on your iPhone or iPod yourself?

You can change the battery yourself. The reason it's difficult is to minimise the size of the device without sacrificing battery capacity. To have a removable battery, either the iPhone would stay the same size and the battery would have to be smaller, or the battery would stay the same size and the iPhone would have to be bigger.

Quote:

Is this model wasting resources? Absolutely! Just think about all the hardware you had to throw away!

They don't throw stuff away. They reuse and recycle. I believe the iPhones with dead batteries are sent to a central processing plant to be refurbished, including having their batteries replaced.

Quote:

And just think about all the environment problems related to manufacturing your next GREAT Apple CREATION!

I eat apple, not use one.

And what of the environmental impact of the computer you used to access AppleInsider? Did you think about that?
  • Reply 22 of 53
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    The real lesson to be learned is that SJ should be taken at his word when he says that the iPad sits between a smartphone and a laptop, and is not intended to replace either. Most of the complaints that start with what the iPad won't do, are trying too hard to prove that the iPad is not a Macbook replacement. Well, save yourself some trouble; it isn't. I have a Macbook Pro. My iPad will keep my notebook in the bag more often than before, but it cannot fully replace it. I understood that when I bought the iPad. This is one of those RTFM situations. Please stop complaining that the iPad is not a notebook replacement. Guess what; it is also not a toaster. Get over it!
  • Reply 23 of 53
    guinnessguinness Posts: 473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

The real lesson to be learned is that SJ should be taken at his word when he says that the iPad sits between a smartphone and a laptop, and is not intended to replace either. Most of the complaints that start with what the iPad won't do, are trying too hard to prove that the iPad is not a Macbook replacement. Well, save yourself some trouble; it isn't. I have a Macbook Pro. My iPad will keep my notebook in the bag more often than before, but it cannot fully replace it. I understood that when I bought the iPad. This is one of those RTFM situations. Please stop complaining that the iPad is not a notebook replacement. Guess what; it is also not a toaster. Get over it!

All the OP is trying to do, is save a PDF in a web browser...should it really be that difficult?

While uses that Goodreader app works well enough, C&Ping PDF links sounds like a PITA, especially since it's quite easy to save dozens of articles while doing research.

Maybe with OS 4.0, Apple will just add a save file option in Safari...
  • Reply 24 of 53
    Well, that's just stupid. You shouldn't need workarounds or other apps to make something so basic work. Any file that the OS can open and display, it should be able to save off the web through the browser and drag-and-drop transfer from a computer.
  • Reply 25 of 53
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

Well, that's just stupid. You shouldn't need workarounds or other apps to make something so basic work. Any file that the OS can open and display, it should be able to save off the web through the browser and drag-and-drop transfer from a computer.

this isn't a computer. people don't get the paradigm switch.
  • Reply 26 of 53
    guinnessguinness Posts: 473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

Wow, by your logic, that makes my Pre Plus a computer, because it can save and launch PDFs from its browser (altough technically, it is since it has CPU/GPU, RAM, storage, an OS, and allows user I/O, all of which the iPad has too).

Still doesn't explain away why a $500+ device can't do something a mundane as save a PDF in web browser. Must be that magical Apple experience I don't always understand.
  • Reply 27 of 53
    Quote:

That's the same excuse I hear everytime someone obvious is missing until Apple decides to grace us with it's presence. MMS? Who uses that? Cut and Paste? It isn't a computer.
  • Reply 28 of 53
    Quote:

That's the same excuse I hear everytime something obvious is missing. MMS? Who uses that? Cut and Paste? It isn't a computer. Multitasking? It can't be done without being a clusterfuck! That is, until Apple decides to grace us with its presence and it suddenly becomes the best thing ever.
  • Reply 29 of 53
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    The iPad is a "computer" on the basis of the actual definition of the word. Just because it doesn't do every single thing every person thinks a computer ought to do, doesn't make it something other than a computer. It also doesn't make it automatically deficient. If you don't accept the limitations, then by all means, do not buy it.
  • Reply 30 of 53
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    I just made a test and was able to saved several pdf files with Offline Pages. It looks like this app is able to read and saved pdf from the web

edit: I just saved a complex 174 pages guide in pdf format from the western digital website. So this works perfectly.
  • Reply 31 of 53
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:

Apple intentionally disabled these functions. So you have to use iTune. So you have to PAY MONEY to Apple for contents. Why Apple does NOT support Flash on iPad? So you can NOT watch a clip free via a browser. If you want to watch a movie, you must pay for it! This is their business model.

for crying out loud get a clue... how about ABC app, Yahoo app, Netflix app, youtube app, Hulu app, ... you dont have to buy from itune at all.

and you can convert pretty much any video with handbrake (free), tag the file with identify2 (shareware), then drag it in itunes for sync with any mobile device or appletv.
  • Reply 32 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Dump the files into what though? They have to go somewhere on the iPad in one of two locations: either an application dependent or independent space. If it's specific to one app then it's hard to open one file in multiple apps. If the files are shared, the files alone should be managed so you can free up space without using a computer.

Opening the PDF in iBooks, then synching my iPhone to my MBP, works for me. (I realize iBooks wasn't around at the time you posted this.)

I'm thinking to get an iPad, and put lots of PDFs in iTunes, and synching them over, (reverse process); as I need offline access to the PDFs. (Yes, I know, I can pay more to AT&T and always be online. I already have an iPhone since they first came out.)

Sunny Guy
  • Reply 33 of 53
    Actually I am not an Iphone man and never have had an Iphone. When the Ipad came out, I wanted to give Apple products a try. I bought a 3G+Wifi 64G one and started to play with it. Playing means, to setup, to try what can I do with this thing and how to combine this tool into my working equipments.

As Result, you can not. Just to name a few:

Safary won't let you save any webcontents to have it offline later, was one of the greatest annoyance. PDF must be downloaded and opened in an separate App and also save there.

No general file management. Library is only good friend with Itunes. So PDF files have to be downloaded first into a Desktop or Laptop and then transferred to Ipad.

So what is the sense to have on travel Laptop and also Ipad with you?

Ok, Ipad for entertainment.

No Flash, no mpgs, no rmbv only to because Apple wants their own formats and also control over the "freedom" of all Apple User (and of course their money spend on apps and media). you can convert the medias into apple formats, but if you have a collection and library of 200 movies and shows.....

After jailbreaking the Ipad, some of the used to use formats are available again, but with restrictions and unconveniences.

All in all, a dissapointment and an annoyance. I gave the 3 month purchased Ipad to my 4years old son to play and I am going to buy maybe the coming blackberry pad or the galaxy. At least they know what users like me need.
  • Reply 34 of 53
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Saiber View Post

Ok, Ipad for entertainment.

No Flash, no mpgs, no rmbv only to because Apple wants their own formats and also control over the "freedom" of all Apple User (and of course their money spend on apps and media). you can convert the medias into apple formats, but if you have a collection and library of 200 movies and shows.....

The reason you have the movies in the formats you have chosen is because other companies want you to store them in their formats. The formats Apple supports are not 'Apple formats' but open standard formats, which support hardware-accelerated decoding.

Mpg1 and 2 are legacy formats with limitations. They are stored as multiplexed video and audio which makes them tricky to edit.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Saiber View Post

All in all, a dissapointment and an annoyance. I gave the 3 month purchased Ipad to my 4years old son to play and I am going to buy maybe the coming blackberry pad or the galaxy. At least they know what users like me need.

Sure they do. The Playbook SDK is based on Adobe Air:

http://devblog.blackberry.com/2010/1...playbook-apps/

So you will see a raft of sluggish apps with jittery scrolling. Check out the unresponsive pinch-zoom in the video above.

3D support in Air will come in 2011 with Molehill but for now it will be a mix of different SDKs:

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flash/molehill/

Dual 1GHz CPUs is good but they still can't make the interface smooth even with that performance.

The playbook screen is also 7" and likely not an IPS panel and lower resolution than the first iPad.

They also have a pre-approval App Store so apps that violate licenses won't be allowed into the store. Their developer community will be much smaller as Blackberry isn't known to target consumers.

It won't affect the iPad market at all.
  • Reply 35 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Algol View Post

I learned the other day at the Apple store that I can't save PDF files from safari.

I'll stick to my MacBook Pro.

Algol

Open PDF in Safari.

Tap top of screen.

Press Open in iBooks (or select any PDF reading app).

Deal breaker broken.

C.
  • Reply 36 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

Open PDF in Safari.

Tap top of screen.

Press Open in iBooks (or select any PDF reading app).

Deal breaker broken.

C.

You'll notice that this was posted in April.
  • Reply 37 of 53
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You'll notice that this was posted in April.

You'll notice it also addresses Saiber's first complaint written yesterday which resurrected this dead thread

"As Result, you can not. Just to name a few:

Safary won't let you save any webcontents to have it offline later, was one of the greatest annoyance. PDF must be downloaded and opened in an separate App and also save there."
  • Reply 38 of 53
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    You can always just get a 11" MacBook Air and be able to do anything you like.
  • Reply 39 of 53
    this is really very very disgusting...I tried some applications but none of them was able to do a simple thing like saving so I can read it offline...specially PDF's ......
  • Reply 40 of 53
    cyloncylon Posts: 126member
    You can try downloading GoodReader. When you click a PDF file in Safari then, it will ask if you want to download it to GoodReader. Download the file into it and you can open it and look at it anytime you like.