Apple creates iPad AdLib framework to join TuneKit, PastryKit

Comments

• Reply 21 of 50
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    It looks like apple is using their dominance in mobile space to move the web in a more open and standards compliant way, making it much better in the prorcess. I am very happy to see this go on and I hope at least some of this transitions to regular web as well.
  • Reply 22 of 50
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Are you sure it's per year, and not a one time fee?

Yes, it is $99 per year to maintain Developer status and access to the all the Tools, Betas, etc.

In my case, I will renew in June.
  • Reply 23 of 50
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

Don't you have to pay the $99 a year to be able to release applications as well?

I have not been clear on this, but it seems to discourage casual development or developing free apps.

And that also, but in this case since it is a web framework, you should have no problem publishing it yourself as a web app.

And it is $99 a year, not a one time deal.
  • Reply 24 of 50
    lowededwookielowededwookie Posts: 1,143member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ihxo View Post

The iPhone SDK is always free.

You only need to pay $99 a year if you want early beta releases.

That is true, I do have the iPhone SDK but I can't get hold of the iPad kit though because I'm not a developer.

That being said though I'm thinking of paying for the fee even though I'm not a developer as such. I have a few plans but I just need to workout a few things first.
  • Reply 25 of 50
    jdoylejdoyle Posts: 4member
    Hi,

Just had a play trying to view this on my Mac. If you go to the URL, apple bumps you back to the main Apple Manuals page. To "Trick" Apple's website into thinking you are on and iPad, do the following

1. Switch on Develop Menu under Advanced settings

3. Under the Development dropdown, go to User Agent/other

4. Paste in the following string

"Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU iPad OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16"

5. Try again to load the URL for iPad help, "http://help.apple.com/ipad/mobile/interface/";

6. Apple's site thinks you're on an iPad!!
  • Reply 26 of 50
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

That is true, I do have the iPhone SDK but I can't get hold of the iPad kit though because I'm not a developer.

That being said though I'm thinking of paying for the fee even though I'm not a developer as such. I have a few plans but I just need to workout a few things first.

That's ONLY while it's in Beta. The GM version of iPhone OS 3.2.2 SDK is out and available for DL without paying a $99 developer fee.
  • Reply 27 of 50
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdoyle View Post

Hi,

Just had a play trying to view this on my Mac. If you go to the URL, apple bumps you back to the main Apple Manuals page. To "Trick" Apple's website into thinking you are on and iPad, do the following

"Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU iPad OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16"

5. Try again to load the URL for iPad help, "http://help.apple.com/ipad/mobile/interface/";

Oooh! Tricky!
  • Reply 28 of 50
    It would be great if there was an easy way for those of use without programming experience to develop content for the iPad. I would like to develop a chemistry "textbook" for my student, but the ePub format is not rich enough and so I need an App similar to Elements. However, I do not know how to program such an App.
  • Reply 29 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That's ONLY while it's in Beta. The GM version of iPhone OS 3.2.2 SDK is out and available for DL without paying a $99 developer fee.

Hey thanks for the heads up. The last time I looked the SDK was still only beta but I looked at it again and sure enough it's available to all.
  • Reply 30 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

It would be great if there was an easy way for those of use without programming experience to develop content for the iPad. I would like to develop a chemistry "textbook" for my student, but the ePub format is not rich enough and so I need an App similar to Elements. However, I do not know how to program such an App.

Actually it kind of is because it's all based on XHTML so it's really up to the reader to support the layouts but if you're interested here's a brilliant app that might interest you:

http://code.google.com/p/sigil/

It's a WYSIWYG EBook creator that exports to the EPUB format. You can even hand code if you desire so the layouts are up to you. I'm using it for a documentation tool in order to make documents we need to access at work readable in the likes of Stanza and other EBook readers.
  • Reply 31 of 50
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I didn't see much mention of it on line. At least not in the Mac forums I frequent. Actually I think I first saw the news on Reddit.

All this stuff coming to light does make you wonder what Apple is up to. Maybe it is a distillation process where they are trying to figure out what works best.

What is even more interesting is that the new release of Sproutcore ought to lead to a redo of Mobile Me. One can hope anyways.

Dave
  • Reply 32 of 50
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

It would be great if there was an easy way for those of use without programming experience to develop content for the iPad.

Don't forget you have Safari on the iPad. It wouldn't be that difficult to put together a very usable text book with static HTML pages. Getting the document on to the iPads might be an issue if you don't want to serve it up on a web server. It looks like the issue of getting documents onto the iPad will be addressed soon. Apples dog and pony show ought to clear up the issues around that tomorrow.

In any event it looks like the only alternative programming environment outside of Objective C is JavaScript which is sad if you ask me. I'd love to see Python or MacRuby on iPad. Of course for what you want to do you really want to target something common to most platforms, that would be web browsers.

Quote:

I would like to develop a chemistry "textbook" for my student, but the ePub format is not rich enough and so I need an App similar to Elements.

Chemistry would be tough on any platform as you need so many diagrams and formulas. This may push you away from HTML to PDF. Considering it is Chemistry have you considered installing TeX on you Mac to aid in typsetting? TeX could also generate files in png and other formats to allow inclusion into HTML.

Quote:

However, I do not know how to program such an App.

The question is does a text book have to be an app? There are advantages certainly but they are balanced by the effort required. Actually effort is a relative term here as writing a book of this nature is a lot of work no matter how you do it!!!

Post some extra details.

Dave
  • Reply 33 of 50
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Actually it kind of is because it's all based on XHTML so it's really up to the reader to support the layouts but if you're interested here's a brilliant app that might interest you:

It's a WYSIWYG EBook creator that exports to the EPUB format. You can even hand code if you desire so the layouts are up to you. I'm using it for a documentation tool in order to make documents we need to access at work readable in the likes of Stanza and other EBook readers.

Checking out the app. My biggest complain with the iPad presentation was the lack of an open multimedia format to make textbooks, comic books, magazine et al. available from their iBookstore. i thought the Tunes LP and iTunes Extra felt like a trial for multimedia publications adn had hoped they'd have a great app for publishers to use. Oh well, maybe next year, after all the App Store didn't come right away. If not Apple, someone will get on this as EPUB definitely won't cut it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I didn't see much mention of it on line. At least not in the Mac forums I frequent. Actually I think I first saw the news on Reddit.

All this stuff coming to light does make you wonder what Apple is up to. Maybe it is a distillation process where they are trying to figure out what works best.

What is even more interesting is that the new release of Sproutcore ought to lead to a redo of Mobile Me. One can hope anyways.

There was also news of the iPhone sales being phenomenal in S. Korea but they didn't cover that either. Oh well, busy week I guess.
  • Reply 34 of 50
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdoyle View Post

Hi,

Hahah! Are you sure your not from around Cupertino someplace?

Another discussion on another thread has a site link that's tracking iPads across the internet, just so happens California has a very high amount of iPads hitting the internet.

http://labs.chitika.com/ipad/

Then of course, you pop up as a first time poster with this neat trick.

No offense, it's just....suspicious...
  • Reply 35 of 50
    socratessocrates Posts: 261member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

You only have to pay the $99 if you apply for publication. Otherwise it's free. I think that if your app is free, Apple waives the fee.

It's really not a good idea to talk with authority about subjects you aren't familiar with. There are enough iPhone developers on these forums (myself included) that you don't need to speculate about this stuff.

The SDK and developer tools are free. The free tools will let you develop an app and test it on the simulator. To test your apps on a real iPhone or iPad, or release apps for the app store, the fee is $99 per year. You have to pay it even if you only release free apps.
  • Reply 36 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Socrates View Post

It's really not a good idea to talk with authority about subjects you aren't familiar with. There are enough iPhone developers on these forums (myself included) that you don't need to speculate about this stuff.

The SDK and developer tools are free. The free tools will let you develop an app and test it on the simulator. To test your apps on a real iPhone or iPad, or release apps for the app store, the fee is $99 per year. You have to pay it even if you only release free apps.

Ditto. Unfortunately some like to 'speculate' as a sign of their knowledge.
  • Reply 37 of 50
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Ok guys, you don't have to be wiseasses
  • Reply 38 of 50
    Quote:

EBook readers.

Thanks. I'll give it a try.
  • Reply 40 of 50
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) I hope this gets applied to MobileMe quickly (as well as their other sites).

2) I hope Google updates their Gmail app to work better and feel more natural on the iPad....

When I switch users on the iPad Gmail web page I can still see messages belonging to the previously signed-in user. Don't like that.