Apple adds seven major features, 100 minor features in iPhone 4.0

Comments

• Reply 181 of 219
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    What about synchronizing notes and tasks with Exchange server? "Full Activesync support" should mean that a device supports all available features of Activesync, not just the features that Apple chooses to support.
  • Reply 182 of 219
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

What is 'radio'?

Something I use every day. It's kind of nice. It's actually built into the chips inside iPhones. Apple is just being a dick as usual and crippling hardware. Like they have for decades. So you have to buy their "special" headphone or some crap.

This update is a joke. I have been waiting for either new iPhone hardware and OS 4 and/or VZ iPhone. I'm seriously considering Android now and just sticking with my VZW. Basically the next iPhone handset has to have some really good stuff for me to get iPhone otherwise I'm going Android.
  • Reply 183 of 219
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,731member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

Something I use every day. It's kind of nice. It's actually built into the chips inside iPhones. Apple is just being a dick as usual and crippling hardware. Like they have for decades. So you have to buy their "special" headphone or some crap.

This update is a joke. I have been waiting for either new iPhone hardware and OS 4 and/or VZ iPhone. I'm seriously considering Android now and just sticking with my VZW. Basically the next iPhone handset has to have some really good stuff for me to get iPhone otherwise I'm going Android.

It is a nice incremental update what's not to like? As to new phone I am reliably told that is coming this summer. Having used Apple for over three decades I don't follow the crippling remark. For most of that time other than the first few and last few years Apple was deliberately sidelined by strategic maneuvering by Microsoft. Personally I find it pleasant to see the tide turn so far in the other direction of late. Innovation, design and brilliance are in fashion again ... Yeah
  • Reply 184 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

What about synchronizing notes and tasks with Exchange server? "Full Activesync support" should mean that a device supports all available features of Activesync, not just the features that Apple chooses to support.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think I my request ambiguous. To be clear, by "robust system notifications" I am referring to the popover for a single notification that can't display long messages or multiple messages, can't be retrieved again and requires the user to remember what app it came from if you ever want to read it within the app.

I sounds like the question is regarding lock screen info, which would also be great and hopefully give us access to a rich notification system history.

I agree that Jobs is vague but much can be inferred from his canned replies. He was a firm "No" to Flash and Java with an "Anything can happen" response to another question.

I don't understand the Twitter/IM question. The PNS is perfect for these apps. If you access the app after getting notified the app will have the timelines. Am I missing something?

PS: Asking about Flash and Java? What a waste of a question!

Flash & Java will never be allowed on Apple mobile devices... iAd is the reason.

With the potential for 1 billion highly-effective, targeted hits per day to qualified buyers, Apple has a lot of ad leverage.

• Reply 185 of 219
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

I think I my request ambiguous. To be clear, by "robust system notifications" I am referring to the popover for a single notification that can't display long messages or multiple messages, can't be retrieved again and requires the user to remember what app it came from if you ever want to read it within the app.

I sounds like the question is regarding lock screen info, which would also be great and hopefully give us access to a rich notification system history.

Right. I generally think of the big problem with notifications is the dismiss and forget model, which could be solved with a persistent list. And then I generally assume the best place for that list would be a new style home screen that included such a list plus widgets or customizable links to apps, documents or contacts. I know there are other ways of handling the original notification part (menu bar alerts, hardware LEDs, less intrusive in-app behaviors) but to me a persistent list on a customizable home screen is pretty much the last stuff on my wish list.

Quote:

I agree that Jobs is vague but much can be inferred from his canned replies. He was a firm "No" to Flash and Java with an "Anything can happen" response to another question.

Right, which is why his non-response response suggests to me they're at least considering something.

Quote:

I don't understand the Twitter/IM question. The PNS is perfect for these apps. If you access the app after getting notified the app will have the timelines. Am I missing something?

I think it's a matter of increasing the sense that the convo is running continuously while you do other things, so that you can sort of pop over from time to time with little to no lag.

Quote:

PS: Asking about Flash and Java? What a waste of a question!

Wasn't that an Engadget dude, looking to score smirk points?
  • Reply 186 of 219
    Quote:

For me, folders was the 2nd most needed feature. The most needed feature, a robust system notification system, didn't even make an appearance.

WebKit was updated. What exactly are you referring to?

I am finding this to be an amazingly stable Beta 1 using even less RAM than 3.1.3.

The problems I've noticed so far are:
    • Mail not organizing by thread

• iPod not display album covers until after a restart

• Notes only copy works not paste

• Disabling Localizations in Maps and you click on the GPS symbol or get directions by Current Location there is no reminder that it's off. This isn't a bug, just an user friendly issue which may not get resolved until after a bunch of calls to Apple Support.

Really, that's it for me so far. I can't even get an app to crash.

I've been reluctant to upgrade my only 3GS... Is that what you're using?

• Reply 187 of 219
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Right. I generally think of the big problem with notifications is the dismiss and forget model, which could be solved with a persistent list. And then I generally assume the best place for that list would be a new style home screen that included such a list plus widgets or customizable links to apps, documents or contacts. I know there are other ways of handling the original notification part (menu bar alerts, hardware LEDs, less intrusive in-app behaviors) but to me a persistent list on a customizable home screen is pretty much the last stuff on my wish list.

Even an app on the Home Screen would be a huge improvement over the current system. I find it so odd that after WebOS and Android that this wasn't added. Am I foolish for hoping this finds its way into a future v4.0 beta?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I've been reluctant to upgrade my only 3GS... Is that what you're using?

Yes. I am finding many niggling issues but for the first public Beta I can't express ow please I am with it. I've moved all my apps to the first page with folders. So far I'm enjoying that, but we'll see if just a novelty.

Oh yeah, another issue: backup to iTunes isn't working on v4.0.
  • Reply 188 of 219
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by idanceapps View Post

I'm psyched that Multitasking is coming. iPhone looking better. But now that iPad (4.0 available on the Fall) is out, even more people will rush to get them. All that it would be missing will be a front facing camera for chatting and hopefully the ability to make skype video calls

Indeed. Exciting time. Still no some sort of file management though. I'm not a fan of FLASH but no ability for simple task like posting pictures in forum for iPad? C'mon!

Anybody has a good workaround for that?
  • Reply 189 of 219
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:

No, it's far from perfect. An IM app needs to be logged in to receive messages. When not running/frozen it will push messages with those tiny, annoying pop ups, but nothing more. If you want to read the entire message, or post something yourself, you have to log in to the IM client and let it refresh. That generally takes 30 seconds or so, which if you do a lot, gets very, very tedious.
  • Reply 190 of 219
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:

Here's the thing, though: as much as some folks want the iPhone/Android story to be a repeat of the Mac/PC trajectory (and they certainly are using exactly the same arguments, caveats and rationalizations) there's a huge difference. There isn't a commodity cheap place for Android phones to go.

As long as the vast majority of cell phone cost is tied up in the service plan, TCO of the iPhone and any Android handset is going to be roughly the same. Even for the impulse "this one's cheaper" shopper, there is almost certainly going to be an iPhone 3Gs for $99 available this summer, which can run the latest OS.

So it's going to come down to ease of use and ecosystem. Yes, Android has been growing rapidly, but Apple's in it for the long haul.

There's another key reason iPhone/Android/Win 7 Phone Series 7 (or whatever it's called) won't be a re-run of Macs/vs PC's.

PC's began as a hobbyist phenomenon, and the Apple II (along with the Commodore 64 and others) made them popular and demonstrated their usefulness. Apple had this market. But the EXPLOSION in PC's came not because the tiny Microsoft corporation developed its operating system (or rather bought and somewhat recoded it) - but because the then Monster of the Midway, IBM, dominant in ways at the time in business computing that MS has never achieved, decided to jump in and bring PC's into IT before some of the Apples, etc., that individual employees were sneaking into the job could gain a foothold, and in their haste quickly picked MS as a tool for getting something out within 18 months.

To IBM's customers, shops like Apple still looked mostly like two unproven hippies in a garage - not a major corporation who could supply them reliably in bulk and provide support. And once IBM bulled PC's in companies across the land, people knew how to use PC's and DOS, and it's what they began to buy for themselves.

This was greatly aided and abetted by the emergence of the IBM PC-Clone industry which was better suited to serve retail customers than IBM itself. MS thus had a huge mind and market share - supported by the sales efforts of the world's largest digital corporation even before the first Mac saw the light of day with its tiny b&w screen mouse-equipped baby - which the corp world didn't grasp at all at first, and gave MS plenty of time to build the backward compatible Win 3.1 and then fully appropriate most of the Mac's feature advantages for Win 95.

Apple meanwhile for years had its limited resources bifurcated between the Mac and the Apple II line which it was still supporting and even developing new models of and which was not backward compatible.

The wonder is Apple was still around for the second coming of Jobs to rescue.

This time the whole equation has changed. Consider the Enterprise and SMB business markets: 1) Apple is now a large, admired multi-national with tons of resources, 2) an amazing eco-system which can be leveraged into new devices, 3) strong early market share, 4) plenty of access to enterprise buyers (though their marketing and service channels in this area aren't deep or strong yet), 6) hordes of workers who actively want their companies to allow Apple mobile products through the doors - 6) there is no giant in a position to simply stomp them - they're one of the big dogs too, and 7) a diminishing perception that Apple doesn't have the heft, service and organizational skills to serve them.

Then consider that all business markets combined (including government and education) don't make up nearly the share of personal and mobile computing going on they did back in round one of this war - personal consumers and independent professionals are a huge share and a huge factor driving the development of these technologies. And these segments of the market are the areas of Apple's greatest strength by far.

And finally over the last several years, Apple has been able to execute design, marketing, sales and service in the top echelons over and over again.

So in no way shape or form will Apple be driven to the edge again simply by a new army of clone makers with Google reprising the role of Redmond. This time they're playing with a lead and long-term assets and advantages. Similarly though, the iPod's dominance will not be exactly repeated in the new mobile social computing appliance paradigm. Android and Win 7 phone both have some chops and plenty of resources to throw into the fray. Additionally having dozens of non-stupid, no-slouch companies building multiple form factors of devices running their systems and being offered by every cellco in the country (and world, eventually) is also a proven strategy for success. And there will be great, if somewhat varying, app and function ecosystems on all of them (along with whatever post-App era innovations come along).

The odds favor at least two (or three) OS companies with great big market chunks - and three to five with viable businesses for a number of years at least (and don't expect other countries to cede the OS business to the US forever). Which will be great for competition spurring rapid and continuing progress. I certainly see no reason, though, to suspect that Apple won't be one of the top two for a good long time, with a reasonable shot at staying number one, again for a good run at least.

However things play out though, it's gonna be fun. That's for damn sure.
  • Reply 191 of 219
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Quote:

Wasn't that an Engadget dude, looking to score smirk points?

I followed the event on Engadget's site in one window, but was put off by some of their extraneous comments. Almost wish Safari had a filter for such things...

---

Overall, 4.0 looks nice to me.

On my phone, I likely will never use multi-tasking, but my iPad is another story, especially since I'll be using it more for work. The short wait until fall: not a big deal.

Folders are a welcome addition.

iBooks: I'd love to have it, but Japan's publishing world is a messy thing so it could be years before that arrives here. I wish Apple would open iBooks to the world for free books.

iAd looks cool. As I said in another thread, I might actually click on an ad now (something I have avoided like a plague).

5x camera and video tap to focus: awesome.
  • Reply 192 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

No, it's far from perfect. An IM app needs to be logged in to receive messages. When not running/frozen it will push messages with those tiny, annoying pop ups, but nothing more. If you want to read the entire message, or post something yourself, you have to log in to the IM client and let it refresh. That generally takes 30 seconds or so, which if you do a lot, gets very, very tedious.

The are other multitasking APIs that addresss this making accessing the app fast. Even nkw with Tweetie 2 and Beejive I probably only lose 2seconds that could be saved by the fast app switching.

The PNS is genius. The real issue here is a need for a between system notification system and log.

PS: What app do you use that takes 30 seconds to load?
  • Reply 193 of 219
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    I have a 3g, not a 3gs, so other than multitasking, what do I miss out on, steve jobs said that some features are not in the 3g version of 4.0, what exactly do I not get lest I upgrade?
  • Reply 194 of 219
    Quote:

The are other multitasking APIs that addresss this making accessing the app fast. Even nkw with Tweetie 2 and Beejive I probably only lose 2seconds that could be saved by the fast app switching.

The PNS is genius. The real issue here is a need for a between system notification system and log.

PS: What app do you use that takes 30 seconds to load?

I put in a feature request a while back, where:

Pre-approved apps would be allowed to start silently (PNS with no alert) if no user app were running.

In light of the 4.0 multitasking enhancements, this could be implemented to start silently in the background.

Would that resolve IM refresh issue?

• Reply 195 of 219
    arlomediaarlomedia Posts: 271member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A third feature, Unified Inbox, lets users view all of their mail accounts in one inbox just like Mail.app in Mac OS X.

I hope this is an optional feature that I can turn off. I don't want to be distracted by work email when I'm at home, or vice-versa.
  • Reply 196 of 219
    Quote:

Even an app on the Home Screen would be a huge improvement over the current system. I find it so odd that after WebOS and Android that this wasn't added. Am I foolish for hoping this finds its way into a future v4.0 beta?

Yes. I am finding many niggling issues but for the first public Beta I can't express ow please I am with it. I've moved all my apps to the first page with folders. So far I'm enjoying that, but we'll see if just a novelty.

Oh yeah, another issue: backup to iTunes isn't working on v4.0.

Well, I did it... Even though I feared it was jumping the shark....

So far, multitasking looks really nice!

• Reply 197 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Well, I did it... Even though I feared it was jumping the shark....

So far, multitasking looks really nice!

One thing I'm not understanding is the double-tap of the Home Button. Jobs clearly stated that it shows you all apps that are running (just watched that segment again to verify) yet every app I open ends up in the icon scroll list.

This included 3rd-party apps that have not updated for v4.0 multitasking and that clearly have to start back up again when you click them.

Right now it seems to just be fast app switching, only showing your most recently opened apps.

How is it running for you? So far I've had no issues that make me reject the install or attempt to go back to v3.x.

PS: I haven't seen anyone mention that devs can give access to SMS without leaving the app. While this is nice, I think it's important that this is available as a global function.
  • Reply 198 of 219
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by arlomedia View Post

I hope this is an optional feature that I can turn off. I don't want to be distracted by work email when I'm at home, or vice-versa.

You have the option of viewing the inboxes individually or Unified. Very nice in practice. I like the way Apple implemented it. That, and threaded messages.
  • Reply 199 of 219
    Well...

After playing around with multitasking for a bit... a usability enhancement becomes apparent.

There is a class of apps, such as Safari, that are not tied to any particular content. For example, on a Mac, I usually have a window with multiple tabs for the Apple forums (such as AI). This is great for rapid switching between content in a single app. Then, as needed, I open and close other Safari windows.

It would be great if iPhone multitasking and apps could cooperate so that you could keep several "pages" of an app's content open, concurrently.

This would apply to apps like Mail, Safari, iBooks, Pages... and even a few that I've written.

It would be useful when copy/pasting between content pages within the same app, e.g. posting a link to another web site in a forum post; or preparing a composite of several emails, documents, etc.

It's a subtle difference... you'd be multitasking content as well as applications. And, isn't content what the user is really after?

To be successful, this would have to be done in a natural and intuitive way.

• Reply 200 of 219
    arlomediaarlomedia Posts: 271member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

You have the option of viewing the inboxes individually or Unified. Very nice in practice. I like the way Apple implemented it.

Great, thanks!