Comments

• Reply 21 of 219
    gin_tonicgin_tonic Posts: 163member
    By the way, radio still not available
  • Reply 22 of 219
    josh.b.josh.b. Posts: 353member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

Was there anything about printing? I think this has to be there.

Nope. But the presentation was not a complete list of every new thing.

Lots of stuff was not mentioned, but Voice Recognition and built-in turn-by-turn navigation come to mind as some of the most glaring omissions. Baked-in search functionality is missing too.

The interface improvements are welcome. The folders thing is long overdue.

But it looked like all the folders icons will be basically the same, with no ability to make them look like, for example, a "Games" folder or a "Documents" folder. Needing to read the caption below the icon in order to distinguish them from one another easily pretty much makes the icon superfluous. I don't get it.

Pretty meh offerings overall. Surprising, given the competitive climate in the cellphone OS space these days.
  • Reply 23 of 219
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Dear Apple,

In pop-up alerts, I'd like to see each app's icon displayed at least in miniature just to the left of the app's name. One's brain could then simultaneously recognize the icon and read the message in the pop-up, which I think would be faster and less tedious than having to check out the name of the app first.
  • Reply 24 of 219
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sacrilegend View Post

No new hardware? Discouraging...

No, because it was a software event. They announce software at software announcements, the clue is in the title.
  • Reply 25 of 219
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sacrilegend View Post

Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't expecting new hardware to be unveiled, per se, but I was hoping for it. I'm aware that Apple marches to the beat of their own drum and all, but the EVO is looking incredibly tempting.

Bravo on multi-tasking and folders, though.

Don't get me wrong, I would have loved to hear about the next-gen iPhone today too, but apparently they wanted to stick to iOS 4 with this event. However, a segue into a sneak peek at the new iPhone would have been a great wrap-up to today's event. Perhaps we'll hear something after the iPad 3G ships later this month.
  • Reply 26 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Broncsx3 View Post

Why? I don't see anything here that those phones didn't already do.

That's what amazed me most. This isn't even coming out for a few months, and already it leaves Android in the lead.

Palm has been dead for months. This will have no affect on Palm one way or the other.

But I expect Google to use this opportunity to pull further ahead by June. And then again in the fall. And again next spring.

Damn. I expected to be wowed, and all I saw was the inclusion of previously-missing basic stuff, some of which not even implemented very well.
  • Reply 27 of 219
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gin_tonic View Post

iPhone OS is becoming more similar to Android OS...

let us know when all android phones have a decent touch interface. It's ok (on the ones that support it) but sucks in certain apps, like maps. very inconsistent. ick.
  • Reply 28 of 219
    inoodlesinoodles Posts: 17member
    ...for giving me all this stuff that my Jailbroken iPhone already does! On a 3G nonetheless!
  • Reply 29 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

let us know when all android phones have a decent touch interface. It's ok (on the ones that support it) but sucks in certain apps, like maps. very inconsistent. ick.

He was talking about the OS. But the response is about hardware.

But WRT hardware, there are both very nice Android phones and low-end Android phones. Expect to see lots and lots of them as time rolls on.
  • Reply 30 of 219
    I'm psyched that Multitasking is coming. iPhone looking better. But now that iPad (4.0 available on the Fall) is out, even more people will rush to get them. All that it would be missing will be a front facing camera for chatting and hopefully the ability to make skype video calls
  • Reply 31 of 219
    orlandoorlando Posts: 601member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnnash View Post

2. They are adding AD support, which might be great for the App vendors, but's really not great for the end users, unless we can disable them.

Many apps already have adverts.

They are an important source of revenue for developers which attracts developers to the platform, helps keep app prices down and even enables dev's to release free apps.
  • Reply 32 of 219
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    the only thing i see here that's unique is iAd, and it's something i REALLY don't want. Everything else is just apple playing catch-up...

i do see folders being very useful, esp. on the iPad.

lastly, i'd like to know what the limitations on the multitasking are - they were very very short on details there. something's got to give to preserve battery & processor usage...
  • Reply 33 of 219
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

They are an important source of revenue for developers which attracts developers to the platform, helps keep app prices down and even enables dev's to release free apps.

Devs have always been getting revenue from ads, iAd is designed for APPLE to get 40% of the ad revenue.
  • Reply 34 of 219
    bkerkaybkerkay Posts: 139member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

But it looked like all the folders icons will be basically the same, with no ability to make them look like, for example, a "Games" folder or a "Documents" folder. Needing to read the caption below the icon in order to distinguish them from one another easily pretty much makes the icon superfluous. I don't get it.

Don't know about you, but I leave Apps (and Folders in the future) in the same place all the time. So I automatically know where my Apps are, without needing to read the caption (or icon) for it. So if your "Games" folder is on the first page bottom right, you will know that's where it is always and don't have to read anything. Just tap on it.
  • Reply 35 of 219
    benicebenice Posts: 382member
    Given they again haven't included glanceable information (notifications) on the lock screen, does anyone think that there's a hardware limitation that prevents it from working? Do you need two set of screen layers to achieve it the way other phones seem to do it?

Switcheable, configurable lock-screen notification is still something I really, really think they should do as everyone has to flick their phone multiple times a day just to check for missed calls etc.

Do IT Apple!
  • Reply 36 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by idanceapps View Post

I'm psyched that Multitasking is coming. iPhone looking better. But now that iPad (4.0 available on the Fall) is out, even more people will rush to get them. All that it would be missing will be a front facing camera for chatting and hopefully the ability to make skype video calls

The multitasking looks good.

It is somewhat surprising that iAds was not included in the multitasking section, given that it is basically a website embedded into an app. The main difference I saw between iAds and the current "change to a website" paradigm is that the main app keeps running while you access the advertising website (I know that a iAd is not a site on the web, but rather, a set of HTML pages hosted on your phone). So instead of using a separate Safari session, you multitask a Safari-like HTML ad presentation.

I hope that it can be turned off.
  • Reply 37 of 219
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

Yes, and again: developers can and do already include ads in their aps. It's not like iAd suddenly ushers in a new era of ad supported content that evil Apple forced on you. It just gives devs a different way to implement them.
  • Reply 38 of 219
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

the only thing i see here that's unique is iAd, and it's something i REALLY don't want. Everything else is just apple playing catch-up...

Catch-up with who? Have you been drinking?
  • Reply 39 of 219
    inoodlesinoodles Posts: 17member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benice View Post

Given they again haven't included glanceable information (notifications) on the lock screen, does anyone think that there's a hardware limitation that prevents it from working? Do you need two set of screen layers to achieve it the way other phones seem to do it?

Switcheable, configurable lock-screen notification is still something I really, really think they should do as everyone has to flick their phone multiple times a day just to check for missed calls etc.

Do IT Apple!

No, look at the JB app, LockInfo. Awesome app. One of the large reasons I stayed with my iPhone.
  • Reply 40 of 219
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,278member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

i do see folders being very useful, esp. on the iPad.

lastly, i'd like to know what the limitations on the multitasking are - they were very very short on details there. something's got to give to preserve battery & processor usage...

I think it's pretty clear... there are 7 modes of "multitasking", and different modes will involve different levels of battery drain. I'm sure they will encourage developers through the app review process to use the mode that gets the job done for a specific app and no more. For example, they will probably encourage the vast majority of developers to use rapid app switching rather than full multitasking.