Apple adds seven major features, 100 minor features in iPhone 4.0

Comments

• Reply 41 of 219
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

Devs have always been getting revenue from ads, iAd is designed for APPLE to get 40% of the ad revenue.

It also appears to increase the relevance of ads, increasing their value for advertisers, users, and developers (more revenue, fewer ads.)
  • Reply 42 of 219
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member
    Apple spends its effort in implementing features right so that even the average Joe can use it. They are not pandering to the tech-heads that feel the need to control every single facet of their device.

I believe Apple will make Android's implementation of said features look archaic in comparison. That is, at least until the time it takes for Google to get their photocopy machines warmed up.

Great job Apple. Take the time to get it done right!
  • Reply 43 of 219
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,290member
    So the thing that seems to be missing from my perspective is document management. But maybe this is already there with 3.2? I might be confused.

What I would really like to see is a common directory for document storage that all apps can access so that each individual app doesn't have to roll its own solution to document storage and transfer. I guess I've heard that Pages, Numbers, and Keynote use something like this, but I haven't bought those apps for my iPad, so I don't know how it works or if other developers can access it. I also don't know how robust it is -- is this common storage area an HFS+ file system with folders and metadata? Or is it something significantly less sophisticated?

I would really like to be able to put 500 PDFs on my iPad and be able to easily organize them and access them from multiple apps. I really hope this is possible...
  • Reply 44 of 219
    fabsgwufabsgwu Posts: 78member
    NOTIFICATIONS

I *hope* they have a new system for notifications, I was disappointed that they didn't touch on that in the keynote. The current one-at-a-time, in your face popup window notification system is outmoded and outstripped by the sheer number of services which rely on it.

Even Palm is still ahead on this one...
  • Reply 45 of 219
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benice View Post

Given they again haven't included glanceable information (notifications) on the lock screen, does anyone think that there's a hardware limitation that prevents it from working? Do you need two set of screen layers to achieve it the way other phones seem to do it?

Switcheable, configurable lock-screen notification is still something I really, really think they should do as everyone has to flick their phone multiple times a day just to check for missed calls etc.

Do IT Apple!

They said today that the lock screen image would be changeable. They didn't say whether apps themselves would be allowed to change it...
  • Reply 46 of 219
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,243member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sofabutt View Post

Wow, advertising is considered not only a feature, but a major feature. Sure am glad they're not gonna charge me for such a wonderful feature.

That's actually a good point. Advertise a new version of their OS with Advertising as a major feature and then charge people for that new OS.

On that note, I think "iBooks for iPhone/iPod" to be a lousy "major feature" of the OS... that should just be a separate app....
  • Reply 47 of 219
    benicebenice Posts: 382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

But it looked like all the folders icons will be basically the same, with no ability to make them look like, for example, a "Games" folder or a "Documents" folder. Needing to read the caption below the icon in order to distinguish them from one another easily pretty much makes the icon superfluous. I don't get it.

Pretty meh offerings overall. Surprising, given the competitive climate in the cellphone OS space these days.

It looks like the folder icons will reflect the apps within it. So if you have Moto X, Sudoku and Bejeweled then the games icon will show mini icons of them inside the box.
  • Reply 48 of 219
    josh.b.josh.b. Posts: 353member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bkerkay View Post

Don't know about you, but I leave Apps (and Folders in the future) in the same place all the time. So I automatically know where my Apps are, without needing to read the caption (or icon) for it. So if your "Games" folder is on the first page bottom right, you will know that's where it is always and don't have to read anything. Just tap on it.

I do that with most of the apps on the home page. I can't memorize the other pages easily. My page 2 is all location-based/GPS/mapping stuff, like Where? I can easily poke the most-used ones, but I also appreciate the ones with distinctive icons. By the time I get to page 3, with eReaders and radio and movie and TV stuff, I dunno where anything is anymore.

And every time I add an app, Springboard screws things up anyways, starting on page 2.
  • Reply 49 of 219
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    iAds is a feature for developers, a fairly big one. It is an API to make it easier for developers to provide ad supported applications, if they so choose.

As an ad-hating user you can choose to turn them off by not downloading the application or by purchasing the "regular" version.

Yes, we all hate advertisements, especially intrusive ones. But some developers would like to make some money at writing applications.

Grow the f*ck up and stop all the whining.

From a user perspective, it is also beneficial in that it doesn't drag you completely away from what you were doing as they currently do. If you see a product that interests you, you can get much more information from within the application.
  • Reply 50 of 219
    I'm psyched about the

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

5x digital zoom

Just what photographers have been clamoring for. Woohoo! (not)
  • Reply 51 of 219
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sofabutt View Post

Wow, advertising is considered not only a feature, but a major feature. Sure am glad they're not gonna charge me for such a wonderful feature.

Likely, it will give you greater choice:

-- get a free version of the full app, with ads (which you don't need to watch)

-- get a paid version of the full app, without ads

And, if Apple meets its usual high-quality bar, the ads will be targeted, interesting and even fun!

• Reply 52 of 219
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:

This isn't even coming out for a few months, and already it leaves Android in the lead.

Yes, with Android's batteries dead first.
  • Reply 53 of 219
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

the only thing i see here that's unique is iAd, and it's something i REALLY don't want. Everything else is just apple playing catch-up...

[sigh]

Some people live in the real world, while other just seem to visit from time to time, and only when their meds are working properly.
  • Reply 54 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

Catch-up with who?

Android is likely who he is thinking of. Most of this stuff has been standard on Android for a long time.
  • Reply 55 of 219
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Apple spends its effort in implementing features right so that even the average Joe can use it. They are not pandering to the tech-heads that feel the need to control every single facet of their device.

I believe Apple will make Android's implementation of said features look archaic in comparison. That is, at least until the time it takes for Google to get their photocopy machines warmed up.

Great job Apple. Take the time to get it done right!

I read the Ars feed and my favorite quote was when Jobs said something like, "If you see a stylus, they blew it. If you see a task manager, they blew it." This is something I've been thinking all along, that the user shouldn't even know about or be exposed to multi-tasking. It just happens in the background. I'm glad they took their time.
  • Reply 56 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

It also appears to increase the relevance of ads, increasing their value for advertisers, users, and developers (more revenue, fewer ads.)

That claim was made during the presentation, but if anything was said to back up the contention, I must have missed it.

How does iAds increase the relevance of ads?
  • Reply 57 of 219
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    most importantly FREE WINNIE THE POOH!
  • Reply 58 of 219
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:

Android is likely who he is thinking of. Most of this stuff has been standard on Android for a long time.

Apple has never been about checking off the features. The iPod lacks features that other MP3 players have had since the beginning and it's wildly popular. If all you want to do is reference a list of features and check them off, by all means buy an Android. Or Windows Mobile-- that has many of these features as well.
  • Reply 59 of 219
    Pretty much every thing I cared about is in there: unified mailbox being a huge one for me. Folders, and Enterprise data protection (we've just had to start encrypting all Blackberry devices, so this is good news)

Multi-tasking much less so (if I need to multitask, I have a computer), but I'll take it for those odd moments that it might be useful.

Yay!
  • Reply 60 of 219
    Quote:

That claim was made during the presentation, but if anything was said to back up the contention, I must have missed it.

How does iAds increase the relevance of ads?

They didn't spell it out.

I guess it works the same way as on Android (since "its been standard on Android for a long time.")