Comments

• Reply 101 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Arthur_Klok is AppleRulz is iGenius

My name is Legion: for we are many.

--Mark 5:9
  • Reply 102 of 113
    I sometimes wonder whether 68K is around here sometimes...
  • Reply 103 of 113
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

That is what I was thinking, hence my deleted reply above.

Arthur_Klok is AppleRulz is iGenius

I think about someone who would bother to keep reregistering under new names just to play at being a fanboy, and all I keep seeing is this:

• Reply 104 of 113
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Guys, for the umpteenth time, please do not make off-topic posts accusing someone of being a troll. Just report the posts. Arthur Klok has been banned and off-topic posts concerning him have been deleted.
  • Reply 105 of 113
    nasdarqnasdarq Posts: 137member
    Quote:

I would like to think so, but it's not just a "glitchy" feeling, it's not even being able to open up two Safari pages while using iPod and having the RAM usage be much higher than the iPhone, which is quite expected for the display they are using. If they work it out, I'll gladly buy another one, and I was more than willing to deal with some bugs*— I'm running V4.0 on the 3GS and loving that — but if I can't even type up this post, check my email or another Safari page without risk of losing everything I've just typed out, then it's a product I won't use.

Thanks for sharing the experience, soli, I will wait for the 'Fall '10' version then. Hopefully they will double the RAM and create proper tabs on Safari by then.
  • Reply 106 of 113
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

And you can't? Funny, I can. In fact, I can pick and Share on my iPhone up to 5 pics from my Camera Roll at a time via email or MMS or I can pick and Copy as many as I like and using Mail send them all at the same time.

I guess I can do it because I can read, or better yet, I can read and have an iPhone.

By the way, your review was full of crap. However, I can give you the benefit of the doubt. As previously pointed out, i.e., post #51,

and you fit the bill perfectly.

The problem is, it's very clunky at the moment to do this. If I want to attach multiple pictures on my iPhone, I have to go into Photos, copy the photo, hit the Home button, then go to Mail, and then finally paste the photo, then hit the Home button, then go to Photos again. I have to do this for EVERY PHOTO. That is a pain in the ass.

However, having an "attach" button opens up the file system I guess, and Apple doesn't want to do that.
  • Reply 107 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nasdarq View Post

Thanks for sharing the experience, soli, I will wait for the 'Fall '10' version then. Hopefully they will double the RAM and create proper tabs on Safari by then.

I doubt there'll will be another hardware revision until this next year.
  • Reply 108 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

The problem is, it's very clunky at the moment to do this. If I want to attach multiple pictures on my iPhone, I have to go into Photos, copy the photo, hit the Home button, then go to Mail, and then finally paste the photo, then hit the Home button, then go to Photos again. I have to do this for EVERY PHOTO. That is a pain in the ass.

However, having an "attach" button opens up the file system I guess, and Apple doesn't want to do that.

No, as Onhka has pointed out, you can copy as many as you like, all at once. You don't have to do them one by one. I've never had reason to do this from my iPod Touch, but I just tested it and it works fine.

Here's how.

1. Open Photos and open the album which contains the photos you want.

2. Before clicking on any photos, click on the icon at the bottom left that looks like a rounded box with an arrow coming out of it.

3. Click on all the photos you want to select. Photos will get a check mark (tick for you Brits) as you select them.

4. Now click on "Copy (#)" where the number of photos you're copying is equal to "#", exit Photos and open Mail. Start a new message if you're not already composing the message you want to send.

5. Paste.
  • Reply 109 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

No, as Onhka has pointed out, you can copy as many as you like, all at once. You don't have to do them one by one.

Oh sh*t! Haha, what do you know. I feel like an idiot now! And it was staring me right in the face the whole time
  • Reply 110 of 113
    nasdarqnasdarq Posts: 137member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

I doubt there'll will be another hardware revision until this next year.

I think it will depend on how the sales of the 1.0 version are progressing. I wouldn't bet against an upgrade towards November, which would include a camera, among other things.
  • Reply 111 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

l

7. Drawing. I KNOW THERE ARE TONS OF 3rd PARTY SKETCHING APPS FOR THIS. But, you still can't use a stylus. WHY NOT be able to scribble in the Native Notes app like a real notepad? Of course i'm an architect and i'm precices about my drawing, for good reason, but sketching with my finger is like the difference between drawing with a pencil and a sharpie. you just can't get precice enough without zooming and it's tough to draw precicely when you finger is covering up lines you need to see. But that's just me. For an architect, this would be the perfect device to take on construction administration, the problem is you have to take notes on your drawings. Handwriting recognition would be so much better in that scinario. and a full version of Acrobat on the device.

I have two stylus options on the way. I am a web working geek and artist who likes to use a Wacom tab and pen (and also work with photography) and I am very interested in seeing how the stylus will work with iPhone and iPad using various sketch and draw applications. Pogo Sketch will also support handwriting and signatures (Check out their Autograph option).

Check out the Pogo sticks (also useful for those with accessibility challenges and/or cold hands) - doubtful they have full sensitivity ranges for touch, but they should mimic drawing with a tool instead of a finger, and some of the art I have seen coming from iPhone apps is quite good. While not full photoshop or paint software, some of the art apps available have layers(with options), tool options, etc.

Pogo Stylus (For iPhone 3G, 3GS & iPod touch)

http://tenonedesign.com/stylus.php

Pogo Sketch (For trackpads & touch screens)

http://tenonedesign.com/sketch.php

Autograph (http://tenonedesign.com/autograph.php)

Simple Signature Capture for MacBooks and drawing tablets (features including doodling and working with Wacom tablets)
  • Reply 112 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thomaspin View Post

As regards iBooks, it is superb in every way. Shipping Winnie the Pooh with the iPad could not have made our 8 year old happier as he rediscovers the magic of this classic book which we take turns at reading when he goes to bed. The fun of racing him to mess with the page turning magic makes book reading so much more fun - for both of us!

I have not yet tried other portable book readers, however, I find iBooks on the iPad to rate in the just OK range. Reading outside is nearly impossible if you have any ambient light hitting the screen and glare is a big factor. Maybe some ingenious soul will design an iPad overlay screen (probably matte surface, and screen light) to cut that out and it will greatly improve the iPad's iBook readability. we REALLY need one! I even tried adjusting the brightness in the options but that did not help much at all.

Under the Day 6 subheading of "Why the iPad isn't for me" at MacWorld by Ben Long, he comments on his experience using iPad as a reader. http://www.macworld.com/article/1504..._everyone.html

I was not upset by his review and his own personal needs or uses as it does seem to point out some areas which may bother others. I did get an iPad (mostly for my daughter who is disabled and can use a very nice application to communicate or talk: Proloquo2go) and who does not need access to a full range of computer features she cannot use or be confused with -- I am very surprised by what she can access and use with her limitations. Netflix, YouTube, Pandora for music, some games, drawing apps, and others. The iPad would be great for some accessibility challenged users: Cerebral Palsy, Autism, Stroke victims, and more). It is also a great device for those less familiar with computers and computing including aging populations. Still it is also a nice extra device for those with web savvy or geek abilities who do not want to lug around a laptop or use a full featured computer all the time. I really like the iPad, though I am not sure reading on it would be as good as reading on another device unless I took a look at those.

PDFs, on the other hand, work really great in the iPad, and are much smoother to view and read than on a computer, except outside in some lighting conditions.
  • Reply 113 of 113
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CurtisTheGeek View Post

The iPod/iPhone 5 watt chargers charge the iPad just fine, they just take about twice as long as the 10 watt charger that comes with the iPad.

So the only way for an iPad user to get a video cable is to buy it with a charger that works half as well as the one it's supposed to use? Will the 5 watt charger even give enough power to keep up with video playback?

That's pretty lame, they should either switch the charger to 10 watt or offer a separate version for iPad. Or better yet, just unbundle the charger.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Arthur_Klok View Post

You need to evaluate it based upon what it CAN do, rather than what it is NOT DESIGNED to do.

It is designed to browse the web. If it can only have a couple pages loaded at once without reloading, that's a deal breaker for me.