Apple removes Google branding from iPhone OS 4 search

Comments

• Reply 21 of 58
    It would be nice to see apple insider ignore the ad bait news for a change.
  • Reply 22 of 58
    As long as it NEVER says Bing or MSN, I don't care what they call it!!
  • Reply 23 of 58
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) It still states the search engine name in the search engine text field so any conspiracy that is Apple taking a stand against Google is a nonstarter.

Exactly...

Not to mention... THIS IS HOW GOOGLE WANTS IT!!!

The long and short of it has to do with Genericized trademark and it's not something Google wasn't to have happen to them. While one might think it's "COOL" to have people refer to 'searching" as "GOOGLING" or "GOOGLED" as in "I googled that movie title last night..." it actually is or will possibly cause Google to loose their TM name...
  • Reply 24 of 58
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Exactly...

Not to mention... THIS IS HOW GOOGLE WANTS IT!!!

The long and short of it has to do with Genericized trademark and it's not something Google wasn't to have happen to them. While one might think it's "COOL" to have people refer to 'searching" as "GOOGLING" or "GOOGLED" as in "I googled that movie title last night..." it actually is or will possibly cause Google to loose their TM name...

From my experience, that is a hard concept for many people to understand. They either seem to get it or no amount of explanation will work.
  • Reply 25 of 58
    jerseymacjerseymac Posts: 408member
    Quote:

From my experience, that is a hard concept for many people to understand. They either seem to get it or no amount of explanation will work.

Condescending.
  • Reply 26 of 58
    You have choice. I changed mine to Bing. Hate the name but

it is so much faster.
  • Reply 27 of 58
    nitronitro Posts: 91member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

Nice to see Apple giving everyone a choice of search engines. Choice is good.

Now if they would only let me choose my phone provider.

ho do you know this is the case. someone pointed out that BING might be a default SE
  • Reply 28 of 58
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

I am honestly surprised Apple hasn't launched their own search engine yet.

I'm not.

It would be difficult for Apple to run a general-purpose search engine to drive sales of their high-margin hardware. The world has plenty of unloved search engines (Yahoo, Cuil, Ask, etc.). Apple's tack is to address the mobile ad market instead, rather than build the search engine.
  • Reply 29 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

The consumer market changes fast. Overnight sometimes. It would be wise for Apple to tread carefully with their quixotic approach of late, and play a little nicer... lest history repeat itself.

... or are they strong enough to be an island?

They are strong enough to kill every windmill. Dead.
  • Reply 30 of 58
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    I have OS4 and I can confirm that the Google/Yahoo branding is there.

This report is absolute BS.
  • Reply 31 of 58
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ihxo View Post

The article isn't BS. The search FIELD states Google or Yahoo but the BUTTON now states Search, instead of the respective search engines.
  • Reply 32 of 58
    masternavmasternav Posts: 442member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

Apple is starting to flex.

Alienating MS, Google, Adobe, AT&T, MPAA, countless other developers...

Are they strong enough to be an island?

This is what happened to Apple in the late 80's/early 90's with desktop computing and allowed MS to clobber them - reducing their Market share to 1%.

This time, however, there is no printing/design/creative industry to support them through tough times. They made sure to piss them all off. (glossy displays anyone? )

The consumer market changes fast. Overnight sometimes. It would be wise for Apple to tread carefully with their quixotic approach of late, and play a little nicer... lest history repeat itself.

... or are they strong enough to be an island?

This is nothing like what happened in the 80's/early 90's - what kind of revisionist silliness are you reading that would lead you to even equate the two circumstances as even being remotely alike? Were you even sentient back then?? *grin*

Seriously , I really would like to hear what about this has any resemblance at all with the 80's & 90's (settles back into his easy chair). Go on son, I'm all ears....

(bear in mind I was out of college by then and working as a paid professional technologist. I also was walking with the very players that shaped how that part of the Electronic Age played out so be truthful and accurate)
  • Reply 33 of 58
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

It would be difficult for Apple to run a general-purpose search engine to drive sales of their high-margin hardware. The world has plenty of unloved search engines (Yahoo, Cuil, Ask, etc.). Apple's tack is to address the mobile ad market instead, rather than build the search engine.

I think that's probably the smartest way to go. Google doesn't make their money from search anyways, not directly. Their money comes from ads.
  • Reply 34 of 58
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

The article isn't BS. The search FIELD states Google or Yahoo but the BUTTON now states Search, instead of the respective search engines.

EXACTLY...

The issue at hand was calling the Action of the button "Google" when as the link above shows is NOT something Google wants anyone doing. As 'cute' as it sounds to have people saying...

"I'll google that for you right after lunch..."

It's actually causing a problem for them.
  • Reply 35 of 58
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyok View Post

You have choice. I changed mine to Bing. Hate the name but

it is so much faster.

Unless I'm missing something, you can use the Bing search app but you can't make it the default search engine in Mobile Safari.
  • Reply 36 of 58
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ihxo View Post

There is a big difference from the Mobile Safari search field (to the right of the address bar) showing which search engine you are configured for, and naming the bright blue search button (on the bottom right) with the name of the search service.
  • Reply 37 of 58
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I think that's probably the smartest way to go. Google doesn't make their money from search anyways, not directly. Their money comes from ads.

That's right.

Many people are simply unaware (or unwilling to admit) that Google's revenue stream is based on a closed-source, highly proprietary system known as AdWords. They claim that Google is the champion of open-source, the guardian of the little people, etc. That's B.S. Google is the world's largest Internet ad agency. That's what puts money in Google's coffers.

I'm a GOOG shareholder. It's right there in their SEC filings and quarterly earnings statements.
  • Reply 38 of 58
    On iPhone OS 4. The google name is still there.

Apple should not drop Google as the default search engine. Google is the best search engine and I believe they are pay Apple 100 Million a year for the for the privilege of being the default. It would be outright foolish to drop them.

I could see Apple offering their own Map backend behind the iPhone Maps application in addition to the Google backend if they have some unique features.

Google search is simply the best!
  • Reply 39 of 58
    Folks, this isn't a big deal. I've installed 4.0. Yes the button now says "search" (as it should) but it still says google up in the search field. It also gives you google suggestions. If anything, that shows there isn't a break in Google/Apple relations but possibly them working more together.
  • Reply 40 of 58
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

Nice to see Apple giving everyone a choice of search engines. Choice is good.

Now if they would only let me choose my phone provider.

You are free to choose any phone provider you want.