Apple removes Google branding from iPhone OS 4 search

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 58
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Hopefully this will mean the same for Safari on OSX. Maybe I want to use another search provider other than Google there.

Or maybe Apple has decided to get into the search field. Now that's a whopper of a rumor.
  • Reply 42 of 58
    eacummeacumm Posts: 93member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

Nice to see Apple giving everyone a choice of search engines. Choice is good.

Now if they would only let me choose my phone provider.

You already have a choice of Google or Yahoo on the 3gs iPhone
  • Reply 43 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

It would be difficult for Apple to run a general-purpose search engine to drive sales of their high-margin hardware. The world has plenty of unloved search engines (Yahoo, Cuil, Ask, etc.). Apple's tack is to address the mobile ad market instead, rather than build the search engine.

Is it about driving sales? I was thinking more in terms of extending "controlling the whole widget" to searches.

Giving Google a big f-you while giving Apple even more user-experience control via an Disneyfied search engine would be a tempting move. Plus, how unloved would an Apple search engine be if was THE search engine in every Apple product? (We don't really think Apple's controlling grip will stop at the App Store, do we?)
  • Reply 44 of 58
    istudistud Posts: 193member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

Shhhhh.

Something else that I recently found out is that the word"gullible" is a made up word that has simply been learned through word of mouth, and it doesn't even exist in any dictionary.

Brilliant!
  • Reply 45 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

It should be labeled "Search" anyway.

you took the words right out of my mouth. i don't see this as a slap in google's face at all. apple is constantly refining the OS -- and i see this simply as a refinement. the button should have been labeled "search" all along, regardless of the engine being used.

of course i'm aware of the recent tension between apple and google, but i don't believe this change is necessarily related to it. i think people are reading more into this than is actually there.
  • Reply 46 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

I am honestly surprised Apple hasn't launched their own search engine yet.

They don't need to enter that market, especially with the anti-trust suites that would inevitably arise.
  • Reply 47 of 58
    They don't need to in the 3rd Great Age of Computing.

If people own own Apple devices, and are using iAd, Apple are going to rake in 'in-app' advertising.

They aren't searching the internet. They're using Apps. It's a more direct way of 'searching' for the functionality they desire.

As for Google. They've still got desktop search for now. But mobile search is being sidelined somewhat on the iPhone/iPad. They better hope their Android mobile OS takes off.

It's going to be very interesting to see where the Mac OS X goes from here...

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 48 of 58
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    Quote:

Out of curiosity, I went to Google, entered the word "Apple." and the result that I got said, "Your search - Apple - did not match any documents."

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...=&oq=&gs_rfai=

Nice try! But, when I tried to verify your allegation, Google search still provides the correct site.

Quote:

Shhhhh.

It's Google's way to get even with Apple for taking the Google name from the search window.

I like the way that people were checking Google to see if what I said was true.

Something else that I recently found out is that the word"gullible" is a made up word that has simply been learned through word of mouth, and it doesn't even exist in any dictionary.

There are also people who stoke fire. This is worse than being "gullible".

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iStud View Post

Brilliant!

And people who applaud anyone that agrees with their perspective.

There is nothing wrong with people checking your claim.
    After all, Google is not beyond reproach. Didn't they censor their Search algorithm to comply with China? Of course, if I am not mistaken, others search engines, and internet companies did the same.

CGC
  • Reply 49 of 58
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    this is definitely a huge blow to google!
  • Reply 50 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

They don't need to enter that market, especially with the anti-trust suites that would inevitably arise.

This is not a correct understanding of US anti-trust laws. To begin with. Apple is not imposing its will on other systems and gadgets.

CGC
  • Reply 51 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

Nice to see Apple giving everyone a choice of search engines. Choice is good.

Now if they would only let me choose my phone provider.

I do now. I just do not have to use the iPhone.

When we make choices, that requires us also to consider what it entails to lead to that decision. It forces us to decide what matters.

CGC
  • Reply 52 of 58
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    Awesome news ... as long as I can keep Google my default search engine.
  • Reply 53 of 58
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icyfog View Post

Awesome news ... as long as I can keep Google my default search engine.

You can keep Google as your search engine, whether or not it's the default. It's easy to change: Settings -> Safari -> Search Engine
  • Reply 54 of 58
    rkevwillrkevwill Posts: 224member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iancass79 View Post

Folks, this isn't a big deal. I've installed 4.0. Yes the button now says "search" (as it should) but it still says google up in the search field. It also gives you google suggestions. If anything, that shows there isn't a break in Google/Apple relations but possibly them working more together.

Its really not gonna be a big deal, unless they ONLY allow a default search from bing etc. If they give you any choice for the search engine, np. Right now, at least on my touch, I only have google and yahoo. If they delete the google search, then I guess I have to put in a google search page on my favorites. Thats kinda inconvenient
  • Reply 55 of 58
    bigmikebigmike Posts: 266member
    I used to be all about Google until they started getting too much control. I guess that's the game now. Now I could care less who runs the search engines and maps. As long as it works well then I'm good.

BTW, LOOSE does not equal LOSE. Google it, er, um, search it.
  • Reply 56 of 58
    bigmikebigmike Posts: 266member
    I hope we don't see MSN Maps or some shit like that. Ugh.
  • Reply 57 of 58
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member
    I was praying to iPad the other day, and He said unto me that Google is not holy unto Him anymore.
  • Reply 58 of 58
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmike View Post

I hope we don't see MSN Maps or some shit like that. Ugh.

I'd at least like the option of MSN maps and Bing.

"If you have something that you don't want anyone to know, maybe you shouldn't be doing it in the first place." -- Google Privacymeister, Eric Schmidt