Adobe introduces Creative Suite 5.0

Comments

• Reply 41 of 73
    gmcalpingmcalpin Posts: 266member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Do you have Illustrator files that are over 4 Gigs in size? I doubt it.

32-bit apps like Illustrator CS4 and… apparently CS5, too… are limited to addressing 2 cores and 2GB of RAM under 10.5 or 4GB of RAM under 10.6.

Rendering and re-rendering a hefty AI file with lots of effects and transparency would definitely benefit from more than that.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Yes. Given the appropriate OS and hardware.

The press release only stats that "Native 64-bit support in Photoshop, Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects enables customers to work more fluidly on high resolution projects."

Until I get some kind of confirmation otherwise (I've asked Adobe via about half a dozen channels so far), I think that indicates none of the other applications are 64-bit native.
  • Reply 42 of 73
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:

You can also "upgrade" from pretty much any old copy of PSE for Mac going back to version 4.0 for $599.

Yes, I know. I'll be upgrading my CS4 to CS5 for $200.
  • Reply 43 of 73
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Yes, I know. I'll be upgrading my CS4 to CS5 for $200.

I was (pleasantly) surprised that Adobe will allow the $200 upgrade price for older versions of Ps going back to Photoshop CS2.

But pretty much anyone should be able to scrounge up an old copy of PSE somewhere and save a benjamin for their trouble...
  • Reply 44 of 73
    Quote:

I was (pleasantly) surprised that Adobe will allow the $200 upgrade price for older versions of Ps going back to Photoshop CS2.

But pretty much anyone should be able to scrounge up an old copy of PSE somewhere and save a benjamin for their trouble...

Got my copy of CS4 at the upgrade price when I bought my Wacom tablet. It came bundled with Ps-LE if I recall.
  • Reply 45 of 73
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jwyatt View Post

No 64 bit Illustrator no upgrades for my firm, guess we'll stay on CS3 for another 2 years. Can't stand these bundles either, we end up paying for a bunch of apps we never use, what a waste. I hate the monopoly Adobe has become in the creative biz.

I guess you don't do much collaboration. We can't seem to go a month after a new CS release before somebody sends is a file we can't open. That is usually what prompts us to upgrade. Furthermore once there is one upgraded version in the office the compatibility issues just worsen so everyone in our group has to upgrade.

Seriously I'm considering one master collection and then going back to upgrading the individual apps as necessary on the other machines.
  • Reply 46 of 73
    jwyattjwyatt Posts: 93member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Do you have Illustrator files that are over 4 Gigs in size? I doubt it.

I don't think believe update is all that bad. $600 for all apps is a steal in my opinion.

As for the monopoly issue, I agree Freehand had some great features and Adobe seems too arrogant to implement them into Illustrator.

Actually yes. We build enormous multiple page tiled documents of technical drawings. We import a lot of CAD files and place some images. Not always above 4 gig's but frequently large files. We're not drawing logos, I'll put it that way. If I had a dime for every hour I've lost to Illustrator crashes I'd be retired. I wish they would take the time to create a stable, fast array of app's (particularly Illustrator) and quit with all the crap upgrades that only introduce a few new tools, tricks, whatever.
  • Reply 47 of 73
    josh.b.josh.b. Posts: 353member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jwyatt View Post

I wish they would take the time to create a stable, fast array of app's (particularly Illustrator) and quit with all the crap upgrades that only introduce a few new tools, tricks, whatever.

Have you evaluated the Windows versions of Adobe software? Some people claim that they are better than the Mac versions.
  • Reply 48 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

If you think these prices are high, you should see the European pricing. Ouch!

Still, some of the features do look amazing.

Yes, some people are complaining about Adobe's price but what about the shameful european politic prices:

USA: Adobe CS5 Premium: 1697 $

France or Europe: Adobe CS5 Premium: the equivalent of: 3000 $

I won't pay this price !!!!!!!

Please Apple could you buy Adobe !!!!
  • Reply 49 of 73
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Wait a minute... is this a paid advertisement? There are affiliate links. There is no review. There is what amounts to a press release from Adobe... yet I don't see the words "ADVERTISEMENT" anywhere.
  • Reply 50 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gin_tonic View Post

The analogue of Apple Aperture is Adobe Lightroom not Photoshop. And it costs $299 for regular customer and $99 for students

If you read his comments again, he never compares Aperture with Photoshop. He says that he stills needs something like photoshop to really edit his pictures.
  • Reply 51 of 73
    I'm unclear on what the minimum requirements are to run CS5. It apparently requires a "multicore" Mac? About how old a Mac can you have that CS5 will install on?
  • Reply 52 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by austinspace View Post

I'm unclear on what the minimum requirements are to run CS5. It apparently requires a "multicore" Mac? About how old a Mac can you have that CS5 will install on?

If you check the system requirements of the individual apps, you'll be able to figure out what the minimum requirements are for any of the suites. Photoshop CS5, for example, requires a dual-core Intel Mac with 1GB of RAM and 2GB of disc space. Check out the link. I can only assume, based on the lack of any further information, that it'll work on older iMacs, MacBook Pros and Mac Pros as long as they meet the graphics requirements.
  • Reply 53 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

If you check the system requirements of the individual apps, you'll be able to figure out what the minimum requirements are for any of the suites. Photoshop CS5, for example, requires a dual-core Intel Mac with 1GB of RAM and 2GB of disc space. Check out the link.

Yes, thank you! However, that continues to confuse me...when did dual-core Macs first appear? I work with a variety of Macs of different ages so I'm trying to determine which ones we'll be able to install it on. Were the very first Intel Macs dual core? So you could say "any Intel-based Mac" can handle it?

Ah, found the info in the FAQ--yes, any Intel Mac will accommodate CS5. PowerPC users are out of luck.
  • Reply 54 of 73
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icyfog View Post

Bloated software, bloated prices. I'll pass.

Yeah, Adobe's pricing and suites is a pain in the arse.

The only way to buy Photoshop and After Effects is to buy a "suite" with Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash, Premiere, After Effects, Soundbooth, Onlocation and Encore at the cost of $1699. Then they say "heyyy buddyyy, look at how much you get for the moneyyy! Yeey!"

Why not give us the opportunity to buy the software we want at decent prices to start with? I hate bundles. Bundles is a way to push unwanted things onto people.

For instance Apple bundles Motion with Final Cut, because they know Motion isn't what they hoped for. It's the only way to place it in the customers' hands. Then, they can say "Hey, we sold millions of copies of Motion making it the most used post production software" blablabla.. Same goes with the Adobe CS bundles.. just that it's really expensive.

• Reply 55 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by austinspace View Post

Yes, thank you! However, that continues to confuse me...when did dual-core Macs first appear? I work with a variety of Macs of different ages so I'm trying to determine which ones we'll be able to install it on. Were the very first Intel Macs dual core? So you could say "any Intel-based Mac" can handle it?

Ah, found the info in the FAQ--yes, any Intel Mac will accommodate CS5. PowerPC users are out of luck.

Which apps specifically are you interested in using? Even though the FAQ may state that "any Intel Mac" will be able to handle it, the program in question will make a difference. For example, you'll have much better luck running Photoshop CS5 on an '06 or '07 CoreDuo MBP than you would trying to run PremierePro CS5. It's also still going to boil down to how much RAM your system(s) are capable of. The 1st Intel-based MBPs will be limited to a maximum of 2GB of RAM. As for PowerPC users, they've been out of luck for a while now. They can't even upgrade to SL.
  • Reply 56 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

Yeah, Adobe's pricing and suites is a pain in the arse.

The only way to buy Photoshop and After Effects is to buy a "suite" with Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash, Premiere, After Effects, Soundbooth, Onlocation and Encore at the cost of $1699. Then they say "heyyy buddyyy, look at how much you get for the moneyyy! Yeey!"

Technically, because the individual pricing is so outrageous for Photoshop and AfterEffects, you'd end up paying $1,998 for the two programs if purchased individually. Though you'd be getting a few programs you don't really need, the Production Premium suite is really the better deal because you get the two programs you want (and then some) for $1,699. Not a huge savings, but it's something.
  • Reply 57 of 73
    Is it just me or is this the most boring product release ever?

I like how the most expensive package you can get includes everything except the one product people actually use Adobe for.

I've always considered Adobe's products to be over priced and this just confirms it. I think there was more feature releases in Pixelmator and Flux than in this entire package put together. I've found my creative suite:

Pixelmator

Flux

Coda

Aperture 3

Total Price: $698.85(NZ)

That's $987.94(NZ) LESS than the cheapest bundle and gives you a really good web development kit as opposed to ANY of those bundles because there is no bundle that includes DreamWeaver AND Photoshop.
  • Reply 58 of 73
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    That's a lot of $$ for Content-Aware Fill, but all the same, that's an awesome feature.
  • Reply 59 of 73
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

That's $987.94(NZ) LESS than the cheapest bundle and gives you a really good web development kit as opposed to ANY of those bundles because there is no bundle that includes DreamWeaver AND Photoshop.

You seem to have all of your software requirements set, however just for information, the Adobe Design Premium edition does include Photoshop (Extended) and Dreamweaver.
  • Reply 60 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

You seem to have all of your software requirements set, however just for information, the Adobe Design Premium edition does include Photoshop (Extended) and Dreamweaver.

Sorry I missed that. Is this better or worse than the normal Photoshop? I'm picking being Extended it is supposedly better.

That being said I can add Blender for 3D for free to my package. Hell, I could add Kinemac for an extra $388.26 and still be $599.68 better off.

Of course my package for me is less because I got Aperture 3 as an upgrade price and I got Kinemac as part of the MacHeist bundle.