Google to pit Android-based tablet against Apple's iPad

Comments

• Reply 21 of 158
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    BRING IT ON!

(are these movie/show references doing anything for ya?)
  • Reply 22 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aesamattki View Post

So Apple invented the tablet? I didn't know that. I can't believe all the "omg Google sucks because they're copying Apple" comments.

We know the following: Google is probably making a tablet computer. Are they not allowed to do this? Apple did not invent the tablet computer, or the idea of mobile apps, or even an app store.

apple probably invented the first successful tablet computer

all previous attempts failed because they just focused on the form factor and had no ecosystem behind them...

a tablet running windows?? that's crazy

now with apple's ideas, everyone joins the tablet frenzy which is okay i guess...

some people don't like to see google copying apple because it's so obvious
  • Reply 23 of 158
    Quote:

So Apple invented the tablet? I didn't know that. I can't believe all the "omg Google sucks because they're copying Apple" comments.

We know the following: Google is probably making a tablet computer. Are they not allowed to do this? Apple did not invent the tablet computer, or the idea of mobile apps, or even an app store.

I think the point is that Google takes little risk and lacks balls to bring an innovative product to market FIRST. So the reference to CTRL-C is pretty fair in my opinion.

There were phones before the iPhone and there were tablets before the iPad but none of them were trend setters. Google sucks because they proclaim to be good and promote open source when the truth is that their search platform is closed.

And they screwed Apple
  • Reply 24 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by replicant View Post

I think the point is that Google takes little risk and lacks balls to bring an innovative product to market FIRST. So the reference to CTRL-C is pretty fair in my opinion.

There were phones before the iPhone and there were tablets before the iPad but none of them were trend setters. Google sucks because they proclaim to be good and promote open source when the truth is that their search platform is closed.

And they screwed Apple

Google takes little risk? Have you ever heard of the Chrome OS? 7 second start up time, mainly cloud-based? No... that's not risky or a first at ALLLLL. But yeah, any GOOD OS that isn't Windows running on a tablet is a ripoff of Apple.
  • Reply 25 of 158
    iq78iq78 Posts: 256member
    Quote:

Apple didn't invent the computer... they just made the 1st usable computer

Apple didn't invent the GUI... they just made the 1st usable GUI

Apple didn't invent the MP3 player... they just invented the 1st usable MP3

Apple didn't invent the Smart-Phone... they just invented the 1st usable smart phone

Apple didn't invent the tablet....

usable = best for the rest...

Yeah, Apple wasn't the first in raw technologies, but they have been the typically the first to create the best way to interface with the latest technologies. They (typically) do not introduce a new technology until they've figured out a way to make it work with minimal effort to the consumer.

This is what they do, and with Job's in control, they do it better than anyone.

Companies look like they are copying Apple because they are copying Apple. They aren't necessarily copying the basic technology that Apple is using (because that technology likely has been around for a bit...) They copy Apple's implementation of the technology, which turns out to be more important than the technology itself. Because without it, you have a crappy product.

Apple is an innovator in implementation... combining hardware and software for a final usable appliance.
  • Reply 26 of 158
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Nope. These guys know the growth curve is in mobile. These new devices will eventually sub-plant traditional PCs. Just like the telecom land line business is dying a slow death because of mobile so will the traditional PC over time.

No they won't.

And it's "supplant", not "sub-plant". You're not in school anymore. Learn how to spell correctly, not just "how it sounds."

The iPad at least is its own new category of device which fits BETWEEN laptops and phones. It won't supplant either.

Other tablet computers have no new guarantee of success merely because of the iPad.
  • Reply 27 of 158
    josh.b.josh.b. Posts: 353member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IQ78 View Post

Apple didn't invent the Smart-Phone... they just invented the 1st usable smart phone

That sounds like the strategy that the Japanese had starting in the 1960's.

They didn't innovate anything - they took other people's ideas and tweaked them.
  • Reply 28 of 158
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

BRING IT ON!

(are these movie/show references doing anything for ya?)

• Reply 29 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

The iPad at least is its own new category of device which fits BETWEEN laptops and phones. It won't supplant either.

All in good time. All in good time . . .
  • Reply 30 of 158
    jdsonicejdsonice Posts: 156member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by replicant View Post

Big surprise ! Google, your reputation of being innovative is wearing thin.

Google Maps was the last thing that made me go "wow" and that as an acquisition and many moons ago ! Marketers could categorize you in the "me too" segment now. Of course, make sure to use your legions of open source developers to catch up and copy Apple, the true innovator.

What Steve Jobs said about Microsoft could be applied to Google:

"The only problem with Microsoft is they just have no taste, they have absolutely no taste, and what that means is - I don't mean that in a small way I mean that in a big way. In the sense that they they don't think of original ideas and they don't bring much culture into their product ..."

How true. Maybe it is time to sell of google shares. The price seems high given that they are slowly loosing their edge.
  • Reply 31 of 158
    foobarfoobar Posts: 107member
    I guess the real news here is that it won't be running Chrome OS. The web browser turned operating system has apparently reached its limits even before being completed. I mean, what's its market beyond this?

Anyway, can we please stop calling these things "slates"? I mean it was funny seeing all those manufacturers prematurely positioning themselves close to the mythical "iSlate". But it should be clear now that without Apple's marketing force the name won't catch on. And it's silly for observers trying to participate in an attempted rebranding of the tablet computer genre.
  • Reply 32 of 158
    Pali Alto start your copiers. What next Eric - gonna start wearing turtle necks???
  • Reply 33 of 158

• Reply 34 of 158
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

its great when people allow marketing to tell them what to believe
  • Reply 35 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IQ78 View Post

I think you forgot the most important thing.

Apple is the first to sell more then 300.000 internet devices without anyone seeing the device. That is pretty good for a device that doesn't play half of the internet content.

Now that is a 1st.

Don't get me wrong I think the Ipad is cute, and I like Apple products but all this gushing, give me a break it's just a company.
  • Reply 36 of 158
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:

Since the Newton, Apple has been the thought leaders in this field. It's true they had a dry spell for awhile in there between the death of the Newton and eMate and the birth of the iPhone, but Apple has a pretty long history in the space.
  • Reply 37 of 158
    freddychfreddych Posts: 266member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

We all know what happens to Apple device "killers."

If Android is any indication, exponential growth is what happens.

If Google can match the processing power and 10 hour battery life, this device will take off.

Android is open source and the Android market is an open market. This all leads to higher competition, which leads to better products.
  • Reply 38 of 158
    daveswdavesw Posts: 406member
    Mountain View - start your copiers.
  • Reply 39 of 158
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

actually, the Google OS for desktop was announced several months ago;

http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/200...ng-system.html

Which should actually worry Microsoft more than Apple.
  • Reply 40 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DiscoNomad View Post

Steve Jobs isn't going to be happy....

Google shareholders are not going to be happy, either. Ever since the introduction of the Nexus One, GOOG shares have been down a lot. In terms of sales, the Nexus One has been a flop !! Google is not a hardware company. Why are they bothering with developing hardware products?

Google knows how to do desktop search. Unfortunately, there is no evidence that they know how to do anything else.