Apple approves Opera Mini app for iPhone

Comments

• Reply 41 of 77
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Youtube is useless.

There seem to be only two zoom settings, pinching in or out jumps from one to the other as does a double tap.

I couldn't log in on this site, you also can't tick the checkbox to save login.

There are no application settings in the iPhone's settings menus.

Page loading starts fast but then slows down dramatically, especially on more complex pages.

There is no spell checking on the keyboard and no "next" button either you have to manually jump from field to field in forms.

I can access My Opera from Safari along with all my old bookmarks, so there's no real advantage.

You can download and save images to your photo roll, that works quite well.

Interesting, zdnet seems to identify my iPhone as a Blackberry, it comes up with a link to download their mobile reader App for Blackberry.

Tabs works quite well I've opened 11 and they seem to load in the background.

The speed dial is not too bad either.

I'll keep this for if I ever travel outside a 3G zone.
  • Reply 42 of 77
    Solid app. Thank you Apple for approving it. Hopefully small steps like this can lead to a more accepting atmosphere in the future.
  • Reply 43 of 77
    Tried it. Deleted it. 2 stars. Quality first effort and it will find it's niche, but for power mobile browsing like we iPhone owners expect, it won't suffice. I do like its tabbed browsing however...

However for you users in Manhattan and SF, your browsing experience will be much faster since AT&T can't get the job done for you.
  • Reply 44 of 77
    I can't argue that it is fast. IT IS BLAZING FAST.

Everything else though sucks. Look at yahoo.com- not happening. There is no pinch to zoom- just tap to zoom, and it's not very good. In terms of user experience, I would rate it as very weak. The speed factor is sweet, but a few extra seconds I can wait. Safari is just so much better in how it has smart tap to zoom, and pinching can zoom at continuous increments. It's the first go around, so I am sure there will be much improvement in short time.
  • Reply 45 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Mozilla, the developer of Firefox, had similarly complained that Apple would probably not approve of its alternative web browser on the iPhone, so it simply did not try to submit one.

Firefox could've been first, but they defeated themselves before even asking Apple. Let that be life lesson for everyone, better to try and fail then to never try at all.

As a fan of FF I hope they now put out a mobile browser for iPhone/touch with SSL. Without SSL Opera may be great for basic use, but greatly limited and not very safe for personal and financial data input.
  • Reply 46 of 77
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    the fact that it uses a proxy between the phone and the target web site is a show stopper for me.

any secure requests are decrypted at the opera proxy and then re-encrypted before being sent out to the target sites; ditto on on the return. so there is a moment, albeit briefly, when a secure request is available for inspection by the opera proxy. and i don't trust opera enough to handle that.
  • Reply 47 of 77
    insikeinsike Posts: 188member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

I have a feeling they're going to pull it.

Why would they approve it, only to pull it again?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

Hehe, sorry, but since these Opera guys were creating such a ballyhoo around this junk, including an original blackmail countdown timer... I figured it deserves some space

Just because you think it's junk doesn't mean that everyone else does. Reading the comments around the web it looks like a lot of people are absolutely loving it.
  • Reply 48 of 77
    Quote:

Then it is even worse (must have interpreted my pinching as tapping)... it does not detect containers properly and without a manual pinch to zoom capability the user can't even get the desired part of the page at a proper magnification at all. Complete junk.

Opera Mini automatically adjusts paragraph widths do that you won't have to scroll horizontally or mess around with zoom levels. That's a definite plus for me.
  • Reply 49 of 77
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    I think it's great for casual browsing.

don't expect it to do anything complex.
  • Reply 50 of 77
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by merlinw View Post

Hate to break it to you, and others, but there is very little security when using any wireless method. Sure the website might be secured, but your over-the-air transmission of data can be tapped into. You are after all using a radio. For banking and such, you should never use Wi-Fi or Cell towers.

Please don't pass incorrect information like (above) as 'fact'... It doesn't help anyone and some poor sap may actually believe what you are saying.

Are you trying to say that an SSL/TSL (locked or secured) web connection is in some way 'less secure' because it's being transmitted thru the air? If so then you might wanna reread the actual technology that is taking place _behind_ that web browser lock icon. Wifi is no less 'secure' than a campus network or an employers network all have lots of people than can and DO packet sniff for fun and profit AND was the main reasons SSL/TSL came to be in the first place.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by merlinw View Post

Also, what is the difference whether it goes through Opera's servers, your web traffic goes through AT&T servers also.

The difference is this...

Safari speaks DIRECTLY TO each and every web server so you can connect 'unsecured' as well as 'secured' (provided the server you are speaking to offers SSL/TSL secure connections.

Opera send all of your web browsing requests to a 'middle man server' that they operate.. This does not allow for any form of 'secure connections' to be made... If I am trying to talk to my bank over a secure connection the packet would get to Operas servers and then be UNREADABLE (since Opera isn't allowed to be 'part of' a secure web conversation.

The ENTIRE foundation of SSL/TSL is a PRIVATE scrambled communication between a SINGLE browser and a SINGLE web server.

And this simply can't happen with Operas mobile web browser.

Again Opera for the desktop, Mac, Windows, etc... Does NOT behave in this way and SECURE connections with 'Desktop Opera' are just as secure as what you'd get with Safari or IE or any other browser.
  • Reply 51 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Opera send all of your web browsing requests to a 'middle man server' that they operate.. This does not allow for any form of 'secure connections' to be made...

Actually, the communication between the Opera client and server is encrypted as well. So it does provide a secure connection. However, you shouldn't use Opera Mini for "sensitive" stuff unless you trust Opera.
  • Reply 52 of 77
    tawilsontawilson Posts: 484member
    Quote:

Downloaded it.

Installed it.

Opened appleinsider.com.

Cringed.

Tried some more complex sites.

Almost fainted.

Deleted it.

Rated it 1 star.

Rendition is terrible. Pinch to zoom is like sawing a marshmallow. Makes Mobile Safari look like the greatest browser ever.

What crack are you smoking?

Opera Mini is nice, very good job and lightning fast.

Yes Mobile Safari is better because it's a full browser, but Opera Mini is by no means a 1-star rating.

I'd say 4-star at the worst.
  • Reply 53 of 77
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    Here's a quick explanation for those that don't understand why Opera Mini is faster.

Unlike the desktop version of Opera, when you submit a URL in Opera mini, Opera's remote server actually render the website for you, then send you what equates to an image with links on it. Mobile Safari behaves like a desktop browser; loading the actual page on the iPhone or iPod touch directly. This doesn't change the speed fact, but thought I might shed some light for those that don't know.

As a side note, this is why Opera Mini was approved. There is no local interpreter, which means it doesn't violate the SDK terms. It's all server-side.
  • Reply 54 of 77
    jaypresjaypres Posts: 16member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

I use it on the Blackberry as it is the best Blackberry browser.

If opera mini is the best browser for your blackberry, then you seriously need to get an iPhone or Android and try webkit browsers. Just a screen capture on a website doesn't say anything about the browser. This mini is bad.
  • Reply 55 of 77
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    I find that it's not really that much faster that may be a geographic issue as I'm located in Australia which, depending on where Opera's servers are located contributes to long load times, i.e. my request goes from here to Opera's servers, from there to Appleinsider in the US, back to the Opera servers and then back to my iPhone.

I wonder what the ping time is?

You can turn images off in the settings when you have a webpage open.

It also doesn't remember your open tabs when you close it like Safari does.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by foad View Post

Here's a quick explanation for those that don't understand why Opera Mini is faster.

Unlike the desktop version of Opera, when you submit a URL in Opera mini, Opera's remote server actually render the website for you, then send you what equates to an image with links on it. Mobile Safari behaves like a desktop browser; loading the actual page on the iPhone or iPod touch directly. This doesn't change the speed fact, but thought I might shed some light for those that don't know.

As a side note, this is why Opera Mini was approved. There is no local interpreter, which means it doesn't violate the SDK terms. It's all server-side.

• Reply 56 of 77
    reliasonreliason Posts: 135member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by payeco View Post

2) Sigh... please don't start a trend of calling it iOS... Not to mention it's called iPhone OS. Do you call "Mac OS X" "MOSX"?

Actually, no I don't call Macintosh OS X Snow Leopard MOSX, I DO call it OS X often.

As for the 'iPhone' OS, that doesn't really make sense anymore, as the iPhone is one of three devices that run it.

I would LOVE a better short cut name than iOS if you can give me one. Apple Mobile OS = AMOS ? :-D

• Reply 57 of 77
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Wow, that is fast. I like the search on page feature too, which I wish Apple would bring to Mobile Safari. Still rough around the edges, especially with formatting.

I didn't expect this would become my default browser, and it won't. It will be nice when I am away from wifi or dealing with Rogers very spotty 3G coverage.
  • Reply 58 of 77
    ilogicilogic Posts: 298member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

Maybe this was sarcasm and it's just lost on me, but I don't see how approving a third-party browser is a move against Flash. Windows supports any browser written for it and Flash is used on almost 100% of those computers. Again, maybe I'm just a little dense and didn't get the joke.

We are not talking about Windows, we are talking about a highly successful mobile platform that bans flash. To sign up 3rd party browsers on that platform (that bans flash) is to help adopt change away from flash. Google Chrome, just incorporated Flash into its browser without the need of the plugin - will it jump on Apple's platform? If it does, guess what, no flash. Which would make development on Chrome desktop / mobile, somewhat a disparity.

These are all part of the games these companies play, its not a matter of density, just that some of us have different takes, those are allowed right? I don't want to "joke" around.
  • Reply 59 of 77
    ilogicilogic Posts: 298member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by reliason View Post

Actually, no I don't call Macintosh OS X Snow Leopard MOSX, I DO call it OS X often.

As for the 'iPhone' OS, that doesn't really make sense anymore, as the iPhone is one of three devices that run it.

I would LOVE a better short cut name than iOS if you can give me one. Apple Mobile OS = AMOS ? :-D

You mean like the Hebrew prophet? You do know what prophets do, don't you?

What's wrong wrong with iOS? I think "OS Xm" (m=mobile) could work except, it might mess up the roman numerals.
  • Reply 60 of 77
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    I am, as I predicted, shocked that they approved this, for the security concerns alone, but also because the approval is in direct contradiction of the direction they've gone in the SDK licensing (i.e., Opera Mini undermines the iPhone web app platform). I think Apple should force them to include a Black Box warning in their app description that this browser should not be used for secure transactions, because it doesn't provide them.