First look: Opera Mini for iPhone

Comments

• Reply 41 of 85
    peteopeteo Posts: 402member
    Wow, not sure why there is such Negative comments about this app.

I love it! Sure it has issues with videos, and i don't like the fact you cant zoom at different levels.

But man it is way faster on my 3GS than safari at rendering pages. scrolling around a page is WAY faster (don't have to wait for the annoying checker board to catch up) also it CATCHES pages!!! it can go back around 6 pages with out it having to reload the dam page and waste more time. Tabs work GREAT and keep the pages LOADED. Contrary to what some one else posted You can copy and paste in it (hold down your finger on text).

I'm not sure why this is so horrible to every one, but this is going to be my default browser from now on.
  • Reply 42 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xStatiCa View Post

Keep in mind that the price you pay for the increased speed by compression is that all your internet browsing goes through Opera servers. The question you have to ask is do you trust them? I am sure they use the statistics from all that data to make money somehow.

All your app (and maybe music, video) purchases go through apple. Also all your push notifications go through apple. Better yet, ALL your cell phone data use goes through AT&T which has already been proven to let the government spy on it with out warrants. So I guess there's not much you can do now a days.
  • Reply 43 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lewisburgess View Post

I believe the odd behaviour of the pinch and zoom in Opera is because Apple do not allow 3rd party Apps to use the pinch and zoom method we are used to in their own applications.

Just to clarify (If someone else has not already done so) you can by all means use the pinch to zoom feature in the iPhone OS in your applications. MANY apps do this.

What you cannot use and many people seem to be confused about is the Pinch to Expand/Peek (Which is the feature related to the iPad Photo app, where you pull your fingers apart over a photo album and you can see the pictures in the album without actually opening it first.)

Many photo apps and games, etc. in the app store use the pinch to zoom feature.
  • Reply 44 of 85
    Instead of thinking of Opera as an either / or replacement for Safari, think of it as an extra and use both. When you've got a decent 3G or WiFi connection it can't compare with Safari, but if you've got poor 3G coverage, or worse, only EDGE or GPRS, then Opera's speed advantage makes it really useful. Was reading the BBC News site at lunchtime with a very poor signal and with Opera it was a breeze, whereas with Safari it was painfully slow (so slow as to be unusable). Ok, it has a slightly quirky UI but you get used to it.

In short, there's no way it will replace Safari as my browser on iPhone, but it's great to have it around when you have a slow network.
  • Reply 45 of 85
    Peteo, With apple you are buying something directly from them so in that situation there is little you can do. The cell phone data sure is a sticky point but why give all your browsing information to yet another company? I am sure most don't care but at least a few do .
  • Reply 46 of 85
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,950member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by peteo View Post

All your app (and maybe music, video) purchases go through apple. Also all your push notifications go through apple. Better yet, ALL your cell phone data use goes through AT&T which has already been proven to let the government spy on it with out warrants. So I guess there's not much you can do now a days.

According to your logic, you might as well post your Social Security number, bank account number, credit cards (with security codes and your mothers maiden name), and all your account login info (including that to your employer's systems) on your facebook page.
  • Reply 47 of 85
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,822member
    It stated on the download page iPad and iPhone so assuming a real iPad version I got it. It is only an iPhone app thus sucks on an iPad. My bad, I know I should have checked first.
  • Reply 48 of 85
    bartfatbartfat Posts: 434member
    Finally. A browser I don't have to wait 30 seconds for on my 2G iPhone w/ T-Mobile EDGE.
  • Reply 49 of 85
    Quote:

Plus they share this data with Martians. Also they have to check on all those guys making free energy with brown gas devices in the back of their pick up trucks that defy the first two laws of thermodynamics. The government has to know who they are!
  • Reply 50 of 85
    The first thing I noticed is that Opera flips indefinitely from horizontal to vertical position. Safari only flips on 3 sides, so if you're lying on the side and want to use it, you let it flip a maximum of 2 times until it stays. Opera doesn't do this, which mean you can't use it lying down on the side.

Next!
  • Reply 51 of 85
    After hearing about this Safari-killer for weeks, I was happy to try it out.

EPIC FAIL!

I went to my favorite web site and Opera Mini forced me to the mobile version of the page. On Safari, I can choose between the regular web version and the mobile. For this site, the mobile version is useless, so I choose to wait for the full page.

Opera Mini gives me no choice, so it goes on Page 8 and if it weren't so small, I'd give it the boot.
  • Reply 52 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Myaushka View Post

The first thing I noticed is that Opera flips indefinitely from horizontal to vertical position. Safari only flips on 3 sides, so if you're lying on the side and want to use it, you let it flip a maximum of 2 times until it stays. Opera doesn't do this, which mean you can't use it lying down on the side.

Next!

I must try that, can you go over that agan slowly ...?
  • Reply 53 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

According to your logic, you might as well post your Social Security number, bank account number, credit cards (with security codes and your mothers maiden name), and all your account login info (including that to your employer's systems) on your facebook page.

NO, i am stating a fact that Opera is not the ONLY company that is recording what you do online and you have to be smart about your sensitive data whether you are using safari, fire fox, IE, opera or any other browser. If you are smart about your sensitive data than it shouldn't be a big deal that Opera uses a proxy because you will already be doing things in all browsers to keep your sensitive data safe and no I wouldn't use opera to do online banking or anything that involves data that I believe is sensitive to me.
  • Reply 54 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Plus they share this data with Martians. Also they have to check on all those guys making free energy with brown gas devices in the back of their pick up trucks that defy the first two laws of thermodynamics. The government has to know who they are!

Is this supposed to make me seem like I'm a nut or something?

Do you even READ? This has already been proven to be TRUE. Ill just let the facts make you look like a moron:

http://www.eff.org/issues/nsa-spying

http://www.phoneplusmag.com/hotnews/...g-illegal.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSA_war...ce_controversy

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/0...ows-about-you/
  • Reply 55 of 85
    Quote:

NO, i am stating a fact that Opera is not the ONLY company that is recording what you do online and you have to be smart about your sensitive data whether you are using safari, fire fox, IE, opera or any other browser. If you are smart about your sensitive data than it should be a big deal that Opera uses a proxy because you will already be doing things in all browsers to keep your sensitive data safe and no I wouldn't use opera to do online banking or anything that involves data that I believe is sensitive to me.

Ok , point taken, I take back my joke
  • Reply 56 of 85
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:

Wow, not sure why there is such Negative comments about this app.

I love it! Sure it has issues with videos, and i don't like the fact you cant zoom at different levels.

But man it is way faster on my 3GS than safari at rendering pages. scrolling around a page is WAY faster (don't have to wait for the annoying checker board to catch up) also it CATCHES pages!!! it can go back around 6 pages with out it having to reload the dam page and waste more time. Tabs work GREAT and keep the pages LOADED. Contrary to what some one else posted You can copy and paste in it (hold down your finger on text).

I'm not sure why this is so horrible to every one, but this is going to be my default browser from now on.

Opera has done two things with this program.

One of them is very clever - the other is very dumb.

The clever idea is use an external server to compress and optimise websites to reduce the amount of data being sent to the client - and the amount of work the client has to do.

The dumb idea is to completely bypass Cocoa Touch and come up with their own UI conventions.

This results in an app with poor-navigation, non-standard controls and really odd scrolling.

I am not sure why they went to all the trouble to bypass Cocoa Touch when it is one of the best things about the iPhone. It's like going to Niagra and not bothering to see the waterfalls.

C.
  • Reply 57 of 85
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

After hearing about this Safari-killer for weeks, I was happy to try it out.

EPIC FAIL!

I went to my favorite web site and Opera Mini forced me to the mobile version of the page. On Safari, I can choose between the regular web version and the mobile. For this site, the mobile version is useless, so I choose to wait for the full page.

Opera Mini gives me no choice, so it goes on Page 8 and if it weren't so small, I'd give it the boot.

Actually, in the settings you can specify if you want to see the 'full' or 'mobile' versions of a page. In any case, I agree, this app is crap for the sites I use, making them unreadable, or a scrolling nightmare.
  • Reply 58 of 85
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SaltWater View Post

Opera phone browser has being around for years, there's even a browser SkyFire that can automatically and on the fly transcode all videos to a phone compatible format so you can see a web page completely with flash, wmv, avi, mov, etc, etc

I CAD DO THIS IN A 1/4 the price phone, Nokia 5800, Apple is selling the iPhone juts because of Apple Brand, and people are really blind, I have several macs for years, but Iphone just isn't a great phone, YOU SHOULD TRY THE COMPETITION!!

• Reply 59 of 85
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Glockpop View Post

WebKit is pretty much the only mobile browser engine anyone uses. Firefox has Fennec, but its pretty scarce. Pocket IE is absolutely terrible. Opera has a small share and renders pretty roughly, as the photos show.

WebKit also has about 16% of the desktop market, while Opera's engine has about 2% share. FF is around 46% and IE is now at 32% according to http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

Wow! I didn't realize how much ground IE has lost in the last year or so. That is an interesting stat.
  • Reply 60 of 85
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,950member
    Quote:

NO, i am stating a fact that Opera is not the ONLY company that is recording what you do online and you have to be smart about your sensitive data whether you are using safari, fire fox, IE, opera or any other browser. If you are smart about your sensitive data than it shouldn't be a big deal that Opera uses a proxy because you will already be doing things in all browsers to keep your sensitive data safe and no I wouldn't use opera to do online banking or anything that involves data that I believe is sensitive to me.

I'm glad you clarified that, that no one should use Opera for what are supposed to be "secure" transactions. Before, it sounded like you were saying the examples you gave were basically the same thing.