Apple releases new MacBook Pros with Intel Core i7, i5 processors

Comments

• Reply 241 of 366
    josh.b.josh.b. Posts: 353member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solarein View Post

What's the point of saying "none with the same elegance and build quality" when you've already established that no one else runs OS X? Any property is trivially true for a null set.

"Oh, the food there is terrible! And such small servings!"
  • Reply 242 of 366
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grking View Post

And you tout Bose as a positive example? Bose is the quintessential company that sells overpriced items to people more interested in "name", looks, and convenience and NOT sound quality.

I do not tout Bose as a company which makes good sounding stuff. Read my post.

I compared Bose to Apple in that they are after the same customer.
  • Reply 243 of 366
    meshopemeshope Posts: 14member
    I don't care about a few milli seconds of speed improvement to open and store a Pages document but I care about ergonomics and as such I'm disappointed about the missing matte feature for the 13"MBP. Phil, no good, no good at all.
  • Reply 244 of 366
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bruce Young View Post

I think Apple really made a mis-step when they stopped being friendly with the MUGs.

The last thing Apple wants at this point is to be associated with some kind of a geeky club.

They are going mainstream. Think middle America soccer mom. Think every high school kiddy with a birthday coming up. Think Jason Long in his first real apartment out of the dorms.

That is now Apple's target demographic. Not the enthusiasts. They've outgrown the niche markets.
  • Reply 245 of 366
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

The continued use of Core 2 Duos in the 13" is a bit dissapointed, but overall a pretty good update, bordering on great for the 15 and 17 inch models. I would have also preferred 16:9 displays, but they did just update the form factor.

Why would you want a computer at 16:9? It just takes away vertical workspace - you can't get an entire document page on the screen.

Is it that big a deal to watch video that's a little shorter than the screen?
  • Reply 246 of 366
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RageX View Post

Really surprised the 13 inch didn't get a resolution update. That baseline 15 inch is looking pretty good. Solid updates.

I'm pretty undecided about the higher resolution - it makes menus awfully small. Good that you have a choice on the 15", but the anti-glare screen is available only in the higher resolution.
  • Reply 247 of 366
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1984 View Post

He's full of it. Why is it not a "bag of hurt" for any other manufacturers? The ONLY reason they don't offer it is because they don't want anything to compete with their "HD Lite" digital downloads.

That's totally not true, and a bit paranoid on your part. Did you see the presentation of iPhone 4.0? Jobs highlighted the Netflix app, talking about how great it is. In the video distribution market, Netflix is kicking Apple's butt. If your theory is true, why is Apple pumping up their competitor Netflix?
  • Reply 248 of 366
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

That's totally not true, and a bit paranoid on your part. Did you see the presentation of iPhone 4.0? Jobs highlighted the Netflix app, talking about how great it is. In the video distribution market, Netflix is kicking Apple's butt. If your theory is true, why is Apple pumping up their competitor Netflix?

Yeah, I agree. Blu-Ray isn't really "competing" with iTunes-downloads anyway, since the difference in quality is so striking. Blu-Ray is about quality, iTunes is about convenience. These two things do not necessarily compete, but they do complement each other. As of now, Apple is offering its American customers convenience, but not quality. The rest of the world (movies can only be bought in the US-ITMS) gets neither.
  • Reply 249 of 366
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

I'm pretty undecided about the higher resolution - it makes menus awfully small. Good that you have a choice on the 15", but the anti-glare screen is available only in the higher resolution.

I can't wait until RI comes to OS X so that Apple can increase dot pitch without affecting the readability of their displays. This is one area that MS has done a better job. They don't have RI either but they do have Windows Presentation Foundation which is a good intermediate solution.
  • Reply 250 of 366
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Bingo. The only reason there's no BR on any Macs to date is because that's the way SJ wants it.

Yeah, but it's not because BD (Blue-Ray is abbreviated BD) is competing with iTunes. It's more likely because only about 10% of people care about having it. It would be nice if there were more options for a lot of things with Apple, but that's not their business model..
  • Reply 251 of 366
    ozexigeozexige Posts: 215member
    Quote:

Why would you want a computer at 16:9? It just takes away vertical workspace - you can't get an entire document page on the screen.

Is it that big a deal to watch video that's a little shorter than the screen?

It never ceases to amaze me that anyone would purchase a Mac to use as a video player?

No Blue Ray and no 16:9 ???

They were never going to buy a Mac in the first place.

To those of you still complaining about these 'serious' drawbacks please STFU
  • Reply 252 of 366
    masternavmasternav Posts: 442member
    Quote:

Yeah because something basic like Blu-Ray, which EVERY OTHER MAJOR PC MANUFACTURER OFFERS is unobtainable "pixie dust" when it comes to Apple. If they ever do offer it I'm sure it will be described as "magical"

Just buy a bloody external BluRay drive. Easy-schmeezy. $382USD at Newegg.
  • Reply 253 of 366
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macbuff View Post

Anyone notice the "antiglare" option on the high res 15" display? It's not advertised at "matte" - so what is it?

I was worried about that too, but I was just in an Apple Store that still had the older MacBook Pros on display - even on the older ones it was called "anti-glare" and not matte, at least on their signs.

They didn't have any new ones out yet, so I couldn't actually look at it to see if it was the same.
  • Reply 254 of 366
    masternavmasternav Posts: 442member
    Quote:

He's full of it. Why is it not a "bag of hurt" for any other manufacturers? The ONLY reason they don't offer it is because they don't want anything to compete with their "HD Lite" digital downloads.

over a lot of processors. By running on fully commoditized hardware systems they can still charge you what look like nice low prices on even cheaper components, which is why the average person trades out a PC every two years nowadays. The darn things just simply stop working. How do you think PC makers are able to keep sales up in a rapidly saturated market (US)?

Seriously you really don't get the market do you. People have already purchased boatloads of content on DVD, the market for Blu-Ray is mostly in combo packs for current titles. They aren't seeing any demand for Blu-Ray legacy content - which is where a lot of the format-change market is. Folks are still buying DVDs of their old VHS titles fer friggin' sakes.
  • Reply 255 of 366
    Automatic switch between GPU's and audio through Mini DisplayPort - finally!

Those two things should never have been missing on the unibody, but I'm glad they finally fixed it. I guess that means I will still have to stick to the faster GPU on my first-gen unibody MBP and just deal with the shorter battery time - I doubt that will come as a software upgrade, sadly.

I want one! ;-)
  • Reply 256 of 366
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by masternav View Post

Because they are able to spread the licensing out over a lot of processors. By running on fully commoditized hardware systems they can still charge you what look like nice low prices on even cheaper components, which is why the average person trades out a PC every two years nowadays. The darn things just simply stop working. How do you think PC makers are able to keep sales up in a rapidly saturated market (US)?

Licensing aside, is it really worth it for Apple to offer a $500 Blu-ray drive when their most popular product are 13" with 800 horizontal lines and 15" with 900 horizontal lines? Who in their right mind would pay that just to watch movies? Each year it seems less likely yet the desire becomes more rampant. Reports show that digital streaming/downloading brings in more profit than Blu-ray.
  • Reply 257 of 366
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,701member
    The prices they are asking are insane for what they are offering. Factor in the poor (but necessary AppleCare) and things get ridiculous.

I'm staying away from this line until 200 euros gets chopped off across the board or they start to bundle AppleCare with them at no extra cost.
  • Reply 258 of 366
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Licensing aside, is it really worth it for Apple to offer a $500 Blu-ray drive when their most popular product are 13" with 800 horizontal lines and 15" with 900 horizontal lines?

Two reasons:

1.) MacBooks have DVI output. So if you don't already have a blu-ray player, you could use the MacBook as your main blu-ray source, hooking it up to your HDTV.

2.) If you have a collection of titles on blu-ray, it might be nice to be able to watch them "on the move", even if you can't benefit from the full resolution.
  • Reply 259 of 366
    Is the apple care essential? How long is the guarantee over here in the states? (just moved here)
  • Reply 260 of 366
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Two reasons:

1.) MacBooks have DVI output. So if you don't already have a blu-ray player, you could use the MacBook as your main blu-ray source, hooking it up to your HDTV.

2.) If you have a collection of titles on blu-ray, it might be nice to be able to watch them "on the move", even if you can't benefit from the full resolution.

I can see how it would be nice for the people that want to use their MBs as HTPC or carry with them a stack of encrypted BRDs, but I can't see how that would be something Apple would cater to since the market for that is so small. Apple doesn't even market the Mac Mini as an HTPC by adding HDMI or allowing for it to boot into the AppleTV OS.