Apple releases new MacBook Pros with Intel Core i7, i5 processors

Comments

• Reply 180 of 366
    hmayeshmayes Posts: 29member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Exactly..... let me pre-empt the whiners: No Blu Ray, matte, touch screen, USB3, pixie dust, 20-hour battery, user-removable battery..... moan moan.......

Get on with it, folks!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

So because you don't want these things, no one else should have them? And if you do you are a whiner? How intolerant of you.

I have a feeling that what they're implying at is that you can get all of the features you want from other manufacturers. If they are so important to you, why hang around the manufacturer that clearly has a very specific vision and is never going to implement certain technologies (like blu-ray).

At least that's my guess.

-Mayes
  • Reply 182 of 366
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by svnipp View Post

The one question I have is concerning upgrading the memory...

Basically, can I add 4GB of RAM to the 15" MBP later, or would this be a replacement of the base 4GB RAM? Are there empty memory slots? I just don't know that I need 8GB of RAM, but it would be nice to know I can upgrade without throwing away the 4GB that it comes with.

I was wondering the same thing, so I checked ramseeker.com and the price of an 8GB RAM upgrade makes simply buying the 8GB upgrade through Apple a reasonable deal.

Tossing or trying to sell RAM is a waste and a pain, IMO. I have a RAM museum in a drawer somewhere... "leftover" RAM from I have no idea how many Macs over the years. I used to just give the leftovers to friends to see it get some use.
  • Reply 183 of 366
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zindako View Post

Fact: There are more stupid people in the world than there are smart ones, there is far more quantity than there is quality in the universe.

Ah, what did I tell you......

Case closed.
  • Reply 184 of 366
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

My impression of Belkin is similar - cool stuff, too high-priced for a frugal geek like me. But it's also my impression that Belkin sells zillions of accessories at huge margins.

Having also handled the PureA/V line of Belkin products with that previously mentioned A/V integration firm, I can confirm that the margins are substantial.
  • Reply 185 of 366
    josh.b.josh.b. Posts: 353member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a Martin View Post

I don't really understand you.

Apple have the MacBook and entry models of iMac for these people.

The MacBook Pro and Mac Pro are machines that's supposed to be used by people who work with their computer - pro stands for professional, right?

I'm baffled with the choice of 256 MB VRAM not only the entry model of the 15", but also for the mid. This is the same amount that was available in MacBook Pro's three years ago. The entry level MacBook Pro 15" should have 512 MB and the more expensive ones 1 GB.

I'm not sure that the benefits of big iron are tangible to most people. There are a lot of improvements over last year's models, and the improvements are stuff that people can relate to.

If performance is ever asked about, the salesperson can assure the buyer that the new MBPs are amazingly fast, with much improved speed over last year's stuff.

VRAM is not important to most people. So long as it can handle a decent resolution with lots of colors and few artifacts, and so long as the sturrering is minimal while watching DVDs, it is plenty good enough.
  • Reply 186 of 366
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zindako View Post

My only complaint is on how Apple marginalizes the product refresh, I mean seriously, how many versions of a laptop do we need? They should just sell maybe two versions of their laptops and call it a day, going from 2.4GHZ to 2.53GHZ is just stupid.

Have you not looked at Dell or HP lately? They have way more laptop models. This is partially why you see Apple laptops beating all other models of laptops. You can modify a 17" MBP and it still sells as a 17" MBP. There are several versions of laptop from other companies that you can build basically the same machine, but they have different SKUs.
  • Reply 187 of 366
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

Hi All,

Quick question before I order a 15" -- I am thinking of getting the hi-res display. But is it going to make everything look really small???

Yes. It takes some getting used to, or good eyes, or some custom configurations to get everything the way you like it.

For some stuff it is great. Opening two apps or docs or web pages side by side is great.

For stuff which is rigidly portrait oriented however, the "small" aspect might bother you until you adjust stuff.
  • Reply 188 of 366
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

Yes, I bike to clients' offices with my MBP. Yep, in Manhattan. In traffic.

There's no machine gun mount that fits my bike frame, either.

I think that you have a couple of choices: Settle for LCD performance or look at another brand of laptop. Gamers have looked elsewhere for years.
  • Reply 189 of 366
    So what are the differences between the various i7 processors out there? Is the one in the new macbook a quad core? Are there actual quad-core i7s?
  • Reply 190 of 366
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

I would love to read your CV. Perhaps I am missing something by not accepting your suggestions. However, without knowing just how much of an expert you are, I remain open-minded.

I would recommend that you focus on what is said, and evaluate it, test it, and assign some level (high or low) of significance to it. Accept it completely, reject it wholesale, or try to pick out the truth between the mistakes.

What is said is very important. Who said it is irrelevant.
  • Reply 191 of 366
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RabidRabbit View Post

So what are the differences between the various i7 processors out there? Is the one in the new macbook a quad core? Are there actual quad-core i7s?

The only quad core i7 is a Clarksfield, which is 45nm instead of 35 and 45-55W instead of 35W. Too hot for Apple to put it in the MBP. All the i5 and i7 Arrandale chips (like in the new MBP) are hyper-threading enabled, so they have 2 real and 2 virtual cores.
  • Reply 192 of 366
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonnyboy View Post

i need to stop reading US-based news sites, seeing as it reminds me that the US prices are TWENTY-EIGHT PER CENT lower than those in the UK

*sigh*

Yes I feel your pain, but don't forget that the UK prices are inclusive of VAT while the US ones are ex of sales tax. Even so, Apple doesn't treat us fair over the exchange rate.
  • Reply 193 of 366
    Extremeskater,

Hey no i7 in the new update, you should really stick with you day job, it is a IBM programmer, if I remember (maybe wrong) and leave the commentary to us.

Btw see your exact comment below #31 from previous day in news on shortest of MBP at retail shops

A Core i7 in a Macbook Pro. Unlikely at best. Tell me the last time Apple used the lastest chip offering by intel? They just put quad cores in their iMacs. I would doubt we will even see the Arrandle in the Macbook Pros.

P.S. I suppose your taking a break from this site
  • Reply 194 of 366
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Philotech View Post

No. There is no discrete video RAM any more

That's not correct. See Apple's tech specs for the new MacBook Pros:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple

NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M graphics processor with 256MB of GDDR3 memory on 2.4GHz and 2.53GHz configurations

So, the question remains, can you permanently switch to the discrete graphics to maximise available system memory?
  • Reply 195 of 366
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    13" with 10 hour battery life? Oh yeah. I bought one this morning to replace my old MB Al. Unibody mac book.

I am going to be happy except I lost the ability to open the bottom and replace the hdd and ram very easily. The 10 hour battery life makes up for it though.
  • Reply 196 of 366
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

The only quad core i7 is a Clarksfield, which is 45nm instead of 35 and 45-55W instead of 35W. Too hot for Apple to put it in the MBP. All the i5 and i7 Arrandale chips (like in the new MBP) are hyper-threading enabled, so they have 2 real and 2 virtual cores.

The i7 quad core has hyperthreading too. So it has 4 real and 4 virtual cores.

In Task Manager 8 separate graphs and stats are shown.
  • Reply 197 of 366
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

So, the question remains, can you permanently switch to the discrete graphics to maximise available system memory?

Yep. See AI's latest article.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

I am going to be happy except I lost the ability to open the bottom and replace the hdd and ram very easily. The 10 hour battery life makes up for it though.

You'd need a screwdriver for the RAM and HDD anyway. It's only a handful of additional screws and doesn't add anymore time if it's adding RAM and only a minute or two if it's changing the HDD. I'll take that over a previous battery duration any day. The only thing I'd hope they include are screws that stay in the case bottom after they are unscrewed, like the older MB had when the HDD and RAM access via the removed battery. That was a nice touch.
  • Reply 198 of 366
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

13" with 10 hour battery life? Oh yeah. I bought one this morning to replace my old MB Al. Unibody mac book.

Better battery life AND a faster processor. It should work well.
  • Reply 199 of 366
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by svnipp View Post

Thanks for the great information here. Based on this, I'm looking to save $300 by getting the base 15" rather than the top-end 15" (student discount makes the $300 rather than $400).

The one item of difference I didn't mention before is the 256MB vs 512MB of video ram. I noticed that on the 15" MBP later. The 17" MBP comes with 512MB even for the i5. Makes me lean more toward the 17" now.

Quote:

The one question I have is concerning upgrading the memory...

Basically, can I add 4GB of RAM to the 15" MBP later, or would this be a replacement of the base 4GB RAM? Are there empty memory slots? I just don't know that I need 8GB of RAM, but it would be nice to know I can upgrade without throwing away the 4GB that it comes with.

Crucial says 2 slots. You'll have to do something else with your 2GB sticks later. Upgrade when 4GB prices drop further and you need the RAM.

Wow...and the Apple prices don't suck either. The 8GB kit (2x4GB) is $499 from Crucial and $433 from NewEgg (for Crucial).
  • Reply 200 of 366
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

The i7 quad core has hyperthreading too. So it has 4 real and 4 virtual cores.

In Task Manager 8 separate graphs and stats are shown.

I never said it wasn't. I was just trying to explain why they likely didn'tcall out the fact that their i5 and i7 processors are all dual core. All of them are Arrandale and all Arrandale are dual core. Clarksfield is quad