Apple releases new MacBook Pros with Intel Core i7, i5 processors

Comments

• Reply 161 of 366
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Very nice laptops (save the lack of BD, media card readers, and i3 processors)... Absolutely Horrendous Pricing
  • Reply 162 of 366
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    If anyone buys one or looks at them in the stores today can you check System Profiler » Serial-ATA » Link Speed. With SSDs getting 6Gbps is pretty important if I were to consider an SSD.
  • Reply 163 of 366
    ff11ff11 Posts: 5member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

You missed the difference in the size of the hard drive.
    $1799: 15-inch Intel Core i5
    • 2.4GHz

• 320GB hard drive

$1999: 15-inch Intel Core i5
    • 2.53GHz

• 500GB hard drive

Sorry about the confusion, my question wasn't about hard drives but the performance difference between core i5 and core i7.
  • Reply 164 of 366
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zindako View Post

Its funny, despite all the complaints about Apples macbook products, they're selling extremely well compared to their pc counterparts. I wonder why that is.

Fact: Windows (based) laptops sell in exponentially greater numbers than Apple laptops, if for no other reason than their exponentially more models/manufacturers from which to choose.
  • Reply 165 of 366
    josh.b.josh.b. Posts: 353member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Tell me about. The custom integration firm I worked for became a Bose dealer in 2004 (for only 2 years) and I was sent to one of the kool-aid sessions. "Good enough" was their mantra. But then, that's where all the money is. I can't tell you how many people I've talked to over the years that thought Bose was "high-end" stuff. They're all marketing.

Well, not all marketing. Like Apple, they make cool gadgets aimed at middle America, and they do an excellent job of it.

Given how few companies are in that market, I imagine that it is not easy, but if you can pull it off, it is incredibly profitable.

My impression of Belkin is similar - cool stuff, too high-priced for a frugal geek like me. But it's also my impression that Belkin sells zillions of accessories at huge margins.
  • Reply 166 of 366
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ff11 View Post

Sorry about the confusion, my question wasn't about hard drives but the performance difference between core i5 and core i7.

My only complaint is on how Apple marginalizes the product refresh, I mean seriously, how many versions of a laptop do we need? They should just sell maybe two versions of their laptops and call it a day, going from 2.4GHZ to 2.53GHZ is just stupid.
  • Reply 167 of 366
    4miler4miler Posts: 24member
    Why no antiglare (matte) option for 13" MBP? Looks like Apple is sticking to their guns - it'd be just a heart break if Apple insists on their current glossy policy, i.e. no antiglare for 13" and all iMacs. If any of you simply need matte/antiglare on the 13" and the iMac, please protest at http://macmatte.wordpress.com - close to 1,000 petitions already.
  • Reply 168 of 366
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Fact: Windows (based) laptops sell in exponentially greater numbers than Apple laptops, if for no other reason than their exponentially more models/manufacturers from which to choose.

Fact: There are more stupid people in the world than there are smart ones, there is far more quantity than there is quality in the universe.
  • Reply 169 of 366
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Tell me about. The custom integration firm I worked for became a Bose dealer in 2004 (for only 2 years) and I was sent to one of the kool-aid sessions. "Good enough" was their mantra. But then, that's where all the money is. I can't tell you how many people I've talked to over the years that thought Bose was "high-end" stuff. They're all marketing.

It's a shame that the perception still exists. Their products and brand image seem to be opposing each other. The "high end" people think they're getting comes from visibility in large retailers and deception, like powering 1000 dollar home theatre speakers (built like 200 dollar ones) with 30000 dollars worth of amplification equiptment.
  • Reply 170 of 366
    jonnyboyjonnyboy Posts: 525member
    i need to stop reading US-based news sites, seeing as it reminds me that the US prices are TWENTY-EIGHT PER CENT lower than those in the UK

*sigh*
  • Reply 171 of 366
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Hi All,

Quick question before I order a 15" -- I am thinking of getting the hi-res display. But is it going to make everything look really small??? I know OS X won't have resolution independence until 10.7 I assume. On some very hi-res PC laptops I've seen stuff is simply to small. It's almost unusable. And I am wondering, if I get the hi-res, would I be able to ramp it down to the medium setting say 1440x900 or something and have it "native" and still look good? Is that 1440 also a native res on the hi-res option? Because usually when LCDs go down in resolution they look like complete garbage. Thoughts?

I'm stoked!

Also anyone know whether the SD reader is that new faster SDXC or whatever? And with SD I/O? That'd be icing on the cake. Also the prices are bit steep but I'm going to fork it over and like it. Hah.
  • Reply 172 of 366
    hmayeshmayes Posts: 29member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

Faster backups is a plenty good reason.

What does the MBP that will allow backups as fast as eSata?

I said Apple doesn't have a reason. I didn't say we don't have a reason. eSATA pales in popularity compared to USB. I suspect it just doesn't make sense for Apple.
  • Reply 173 of 366
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    Ok, it's time for Apple to embrace an external SATA port or get going on USB 3. Firewire just doesn't cut it anymore.
  • Reply 174 of 366
    Quote:

Very few Apple customers have your needs. The light weight and the battery life are the most important things in a Mobile Device. Everything else is secondary.

If you need raw performance, there are desktop solutions for you for the time being. It is unknown whether Apple will ever make more high-powered machines, now that they are a mobile device company.

Agreed, but it's a bitch trying to bike around with a MacPro strapped to my back. It makes weaving through traffic and avoiding cell phone yapping peds especially treacherous.

Yes, I bike to clients' offices with my MBP. Yep, in Manhattan. In traffic.

There's no machine gun mount that fits my bike frame, either.
  • Reply 175 of 366
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

In general Apple does not surf the crest of the performance wave. Their systems never have leading edge components or performance. It is not their design philosophy or marketing strategy to release new products merely to brag about speed gains etc. No doubt a Quad core MBP would be nice, but I bet it would have terrible battery life and be hot and heavy. All three of those conditions are non-starters for Apple.

Apple is stressing the tangible value propositions - nice looks, light weight, long batter life. And in addition, they can rightly say that the CPUs are much better than the old ones. And the video.

Few people care to go much further than that, especially while fondling a brand-new MBP.
  • Reply 176 of 366
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

You missed the difference in the size of the hard drive.
    $1799: 15-inch Intel Core i5
    • 2.4GHz

• 320GB hard drive

$1999: 15-inch Intel Core i5
    • 2.53GHz

• 500GB hard drive

In the real world, that difference in capacity would cost almost nothing.

The best bet is to get the smaller drive and plan on putting in something bigger someday. The $200 could be used at any time to get more capacity - maybe MUCH more than 500 even.

In the meantime, 320 is really not so small, and easy external drives are plentiful (altho I'm not sure why Apple decided against incuding an eSATA port...)
  • Reply 177 of 366
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:

My only complaint is on how Apple marginalizes the product refresh, I mean seriously, how many versions of a laptop do we need? They should just sell maybe two versions of their laptops and call it a day, going from 2.4GHZ to 2.53GHZ is just stupid.

Unless you can prove to me that you are more than capable of defining definitively the difference, I will wait for the expert testing and reviews.

I would be stupid not to.
  • Reply 178 of 366
    Quote:

Fact: There are more stupid people in the world than there are smart ones, there is far more quantity than there is quality in the universe.

We're not talking about the iPhone here
  • Reply 179 of 366
    Quote:

Its funny, despite all the complaints about Apples macbook products, they're selling extremely well compared to their pc counterparts. I wonder why that is.

Because they are uninformed fools, you see. But only the complainers and whiners can have that view without being accused of being arrogant.
  • Reply 180 of 366
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:

In the real world, that difference in capacity would cost almost nothing.

The best bet is to get the smaller drive and plan on putting in something bigger someday. The $200 could be used at any time to get more capacity - maybe MUCH more than 500 even.

In the meantime, 320 is really not so small, and easy external drives are plentiful (altho I'm not sure why Apple decided against incuding an eSATA port...)

I would love to read your CV. Perhaps I am missing something by not accepting your suggestions. However, without knowing just how much of an expert you are, I remain open-minded.