Canadian wireless carrier claims next-gen iPhone to arrive in June

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 60
    mclokimcloki Posts: 86member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rrabu View Post

This rumour is completely false and fabricated. I'm in Saskatchewan and Sasktel will NOT have an upgraded network by the June time frame. Maybe they mean June 2011?

http://www.cellphones.ca/news/post0011228/

The first rule of iPhone launch is

THERE IS NO iPHONE LAUNCH.
  • Reply 42 of 60
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcloki View Post

The first rule of iPhone launch is

THERE IS NO iPHONE LAUNCH.

Isn't that the second rule too?
  • Reply 43 of 60
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

if the new iPhone is as thin as an iPod touch, I'll trade in my 3gs and take the $ hit. But only if it's thinner!

If it's thinner you can say goodbye to the autofocus camera. Do you really want to lose that?
  • Reply 44 of 60
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

If it's thinner you can say goodbye to the autofocus camera. Do you really want to lose that?

Having a 3G myself, I can tell you that I miss not having a better camera in the phone. I didn't think I'd care at first, but I've snapped enough pics with my iPhone that I could definitely use a better camera. I certainly wouldn't be willing to give up a better camera for the sake of thinness.
  • Reply 45 of 60
    joelsaltjoelsalt Posts: 827member
    Quote:

This rumour is completely false and fabricated. I'm in Saskatchewan and Sasktel will NOT have an upgraded network by the June time frame. Maybe they mean June 2011?

from the source:

Quote:

This agreement will start mid-2010 with a targeted completion date of 2011 and ensure 98% of Saskatchewan residents will have access to the UMTS/HSPA network.

perhaps they will roll it out in Saskatoon and Regina first, and then go from there? My friend has a Bell 3GS from Albert and it seemed to work here already. Unless it was somehow on Rogers network ... ?
  • Reply 46 of 60
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Good news...if not new. I will be within a month of my upgrade by the time the thing hits the shelves, so I'm pleased.

I'm actually having second thoughts about the Verizon thing. I had previously said I would jump ship (or jump BACK onto the ship as I was a previous customer) as soon as the iPhone came to Verizon. But I don't know. I'm leaning towards staying with AT&T now. As much as I've slammed their crappy service, $18 "upgrade fee", coverage, etc I have to take the following into consideration:

1. Fewer dropped calls, improvement in voice service in past year. I dropped a call yesterday...and I can't remember that last time it happened before that. At the outset I was dropping 5 calls a day. A year later I was dropping at least 2 a day, with times that I couldn't even make a call. Seems greatly improved.

2. I'm worried about Verizon's ability to handle an influx of potentially hundreds of thousands of iPhone customers. At least initially.

3. Is Verizon's network even technically capable of allowing simultaneous voice and data...or are they just choosing not to allow it?

4. I think that AT&T is going to lose tens of thousands of iPhone customers, which can only help the network. More for me!

5. I don't want to wait until September.

6. Seems to me that AT&T is going to go into "Oh Crap We Don't Want To Lose You" mode and might offer me a cheaper plan or various give-a-ways as incentive to stay. Hmmm.

What do you think? Can't wait to upgrade my 3G.
  • Reply 47 of 60
    drizzxdrizzx Posts: 6member
    Quote:

This is no rumor and your source website is incorrect. I assure you that if SaskTel's president and CEO is announcing to the world that their 3G network will be up and running on July 1st, it will be. Similar to how Telus and Bell did, they will launch in key centres and will work out over the remainder of the year.

Now whether they truly get the iPhone by this date only a select few people know, and likely will until Apple has the opportunity to make an official announcement.

Telco's work on Apples time table, not the other way around.
  • Reply 48 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

Well his "JOKE" is now listed on Google as if it really happened. I couldn't tell he was joking. How can you?

I *was* joking. I doubt a real news story would speak of a foot fitting in a mouth. But, I made Google - that's awesome. Wasn't intended - but makes the story even funnier. Sorry for any confusion (if any).
  • Reply 49 of 60
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Drizzx View Post

This is no rumor and your source website is incorrect. I assure you that if SaskTel's president and CEO is announcing to the world that their 3G network will be up and running on July 1st, it will be. Similar to how Telus and Bell did, they will launch in key centres and will work out over the remainder of the year.

Now whether they truly get the iPhone by this date only a select few people know, and likely will until Apple has the opportunity to make an official announcement.

Telco's work on Apples time table, not the other way around.

That's the thing...it's Saskatchewan, there are no "key centres" and it is flatlike a frying pan.

Put up a tower, and pretty much everyone is covered
  • Reply 50 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

I'm actually having second thoughts about the Verizon thing. I had previously said I would jump ship (or jump BACK onto the ship as I was a previous customer) as soon as the iPhone came to Verizon. But I don't know. I'm leaning towards staying with AT&T now. As much as I've slammed their crappy service, $18 "upgrade fee", coverage, etc I have to take the following into consideration:

I switched from Verizon in February or last year after being with them for over ten years. They didn't offer me squat when I told them why I was switching. They knew there wasn't anything they could do to keep me as a customer. I, for one, will be staying with AT&T if/when the iPhone is available on Verizon.

Quote:

2. I'm worried about Verizon's ability to handle an influx of potentially hundreds of thousands of iPhone customers. At least initially.

I can't wait to see how their network handles the influx. Let's see them put their money where their mouth is.

Quote:

4. I think that AT&T is going to lose tens of thousands of iPhone customers, which can only help the network. More for me!

No doubt. Many hate AT&T and can't wait to jump ship. What will be interesting to see is how many (if any) come back because of dissatisfaction with Verizon.

Quote:

The rumored release of the Verizon iPhone? Remains to be seen.

Quote:

6. Seems to me that AT&T is going to go into "Oh Crap We Don't Want To Lose You" mode and might offer me a cheaper plan or various give-a-ways as incentive to stay. Hmmm.

Unlike in my situation where Verizon couldn't counter my reason for leaving their network, AT&T should be able to offer something to those wanting to jump ship. The trick will be fore them to convince those people that their network will improve (as they've already demonstrated).

Quote:

Me too.
  • Reply 51 of 60
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:

Good news...if not new. I will be within a month of my upgrade by the time the thing hits the shelves, so I'm pleased.

1. Fewer dropped calls, improvement in voice service in past year. I dropped a call yesterday...and I can't remember that last time it happened before that. At the outset I was dropping 5 calls a day. A year later I was dropping at least 2 a day, with times that I couldn't even make a call. Seems greatly improved.

3. Is Verizon's network even technically capable of allowing simultaneous voice and data...or are they just choosing not to allow it?

Maybe Bell and Telus customers up here in Canada can answer, but what happens when an iPhone on those networks can't get a 3G signal? With Rogers and AT&T we go to edge network when there is no 3G, but since Bell/Telus (and Verizon) were CDMA for their older networks, do iPhones just lose connectivity all together?

If so, might be a reason not to switch to Verizon.
  • Reply 52 of 60
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

SaskTel currently has a CDMA 3G network, but the company is switching to the GSM standard used by Apple's iPhone.

I saw CDMA and I thought an entirely new phone as in CDMA version. That is until the end of the sentence, where they said they were switching to GSM.

I know I'll be slammed for saying this, but there was the usual posting of Verizon getting the iPhone... Verizon CEO says we are ready for the iPhone, it's in Apples hand...

Has anyone seen the latest versions of Verizons ads? It seems both AT&T and Verizon have grown tired of their tit for tat ad war and showed a little more civility. Remember when Verizon use to play on Apple's tag line, "There's an app for that" and would have some iPhone looking phone in the mix like the Christmas ad about the Island of Misfit Toys, etc. and compare AT&T's map to their own.

But now the ads don't compare AT&T's Blue Map to Verizon's Red Map. Verizon no longer uses the tagline "There's a map for that!" and they don't have an iPhone-esque phone being mocked.

Now Verizon touts "Which service do you depend on to run... for your child locator app at the mall and their Red Map pops up, as in, choice made. Another ad seemed to tout the app and highlight the phone itself. It just seems that Verizon is no longer putting out digs to the iPhone and is only quietly subverting AT&T's map coverage...

I wonder if they might know a little something we don't or is there advertising just going in another direction? Hhmmmm.

Begin flaming in 3,2,1...
  • Reply 53 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

I know I'll be slammed for saying this, but there was the usual posting of Verizon getting the iPhone... Verizon CEO says we are ready for the iPhone, it's in Apples hand...

No flaming you, but of course Verizon is ready for the iPhone. They're ready for a CDMA iPhone and that's why it's in Apple's hands. It's entirely up to them if they want to make a CDMA iPhone (which I doubt).

Peace
  • Reply 54 of 60
    applebookapplebook Posts: 350member
    "In other news...Apple doesn't know who SaskTel is."
  • Reply 55 of 60
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Larry767 View Post

Yah, way to go Watson. Do you have any idea how much this leak has probably infuriated the Steve?

Not sure why. There are only two things that apply to the given headline, that a certain carrier claims they are getting iPhone, and that there going to be a new iPhone around June. And the second can be easily deduced just by paying attention to the iPhone release pattern.
  • Reply 56 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Bring it on! I'll be one of the first in line to get one. My wife has been begging for my 3GS, so this will work out perfectly.

That being said, how did AT&T handle 3G upgraders last year with the 3GS launch? Didn't they cave in and offer the discounted upgrade rate to those that had purchased the 3G a year earlier?

It took a few weeks, but yes, they did. I did that.
  • Reply 57 of 60
    I'm from Saskatchewan.

Huge facepalm as I read the quote from the guy from Sasktel saying they'd have the next generation iPhone on July 1. Obviously doesn't really know who he's dealing with here. Unless the info was purposely leaked, which is a solid possibility. Nobody pays attention to Sasktel on a global basis anyway.

If it does turn out to be true, with half-decent data rates, I'll be the first to sign up! Even if it is only available in Saskatoon and Regina and the major highways. I can keep a pay-as-you-go phone for use at the lake until they roll the 3G coverage out there.

--mAc
  • Reply 58 of 60
    Sasktel is stupid for saying that. But if you're going to violate the confidentiality agreement, as least make it WORTHWHILE. who the fuck doesn't know it'll be released around the "June timeframe"?
  • Reply 59 of 60
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    Sasktel probably holds APPLE STOCK in their employee pension plan and might want to boost the price on a rumor (LOL)

Why would this carrier make a statement like that knowing how tight lipped APPLE is about everything.

I don't buy the story, even though as previously mentioned, its just deductive reasoning that the new IPHONE will be out in JUNE.
  • Reply 60 of 60
    In 2009, SaskTel announced the construction of a new $172 million Universal Mobile Telecommunications System (UMTS)/High Speed Packet Access (HSPA) wireless network. The first phase of the new network build, which will provide coverage in the major Saskatchewan centers, is expected to be available mid- 2010. Full coverage, similar to today?s digital cellular coverage, is anticipated to be available by the end of 2010.

At this time, SaskTel is currently working with cellular device vendors and partners, both current and new, to offer our customers a wide variety of devices to meet our customers? individual needs, including the iPhone.

The comments made by the SaskTel President and CEO in a news article on April 15, 2010 were not a confirmation of a release of a new version of the iPhone. The President was commenting on information that has been reported publicly and on the Internet for several months, which has speculated on the timing of a new release.

SaskTel Corporate Communications