So who here WON'T Jailbreak when it is Multitasking at stake?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A new YouTube video (found via Boy Genius Report) shows that with a small mod, multitasking is enabled on the iPhone 3G.



While I fully look forward the the next version of the iPhone and have my money to plunk down on it, if I could just hit this hack and anyone who has my older iPhone be it as a phone or as an iPod touch, can enjoy multitasking, why shouldn't they?



Apple is sort of infamous for such "you will give us the cash to upgrade" moves so I have no problem working around them, especially because in this instance, the 3g is still being sold as we speak. It's clear in some matters it will be a memory issue but clearly the new services being offered are meant to allow backgrounding of that one small task (audio for instance) without the need to keep updating all parts of the program so as to save battery and processing power.



I look forward to activating this on my older iPhone and I look forward to the 4G which will hopefully pop open my wallet as well. In the meantime though, I want my background Pandora with foreground web browsing and I really want to see if I can have fun killing my battery with background Pandora and foreground GPS run tracking app.



Go jailbreakers, go!
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 27
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,341member
    For multitasking ...no. If I had a 3G I wouldn't jailbreak.
  • Reply 2 of 27
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    I am looking forward to the end of my contract in July and the prospect of new hardware.



    Your argument is stupid of course you pay money for new hardware why stay stuck in the past, I'm not driving the car I first bought in 1979 either, I have a new house, oh noes they took my money.



    Besides iTunes audio already backgrounds on the 3G.
  • Reply 3 of 27
    Gonna be shawshank redemption all over this place!
  • Reply 4 of 27
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 833member
    Looks like Apple is about to sell a record amount of hardware on the release of the new IPHONE (and in a record amount of time).

    While the features touted in OS 4.0 aren't spectacular, they're still better than past hardware. And lets be real, I think that if APPLE was to release an ULTRA IPHONE MODEL at a premium price there would still be alot of takers.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    I won't. Multitasking will be nice, but I prefer a more stable, better performing device. I can definitely get by until OS 4.0 comes out.



    Just curious... do you still have to connect the iPhone/iPod to the computer every time you reset it or turn it off if it's jailbroken?
  • Reply 6 of 27
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,291member
    I will gladly jailbreak for a wifi hotspot. So far, no jailbreak is available for a fully updated 3GS.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post


    I won't. Multitasking will be nice, but I prefer a more stable, better performing device. I can definitely get by until OS 4.0 comes out.



    Just curious... do you still have to connect the iPhone/iPod to the computer every time you reset it or turn it off if it's jailbroken?



    I know the tethered jailbreak was for the latest 3gs and I've seen it demonstrated without it, but I'm not sure since I only have the 3g.



    On my 3g, no for the tethering at all. It is just like using the regular iPhone. I have no problems of any kind and I couldn't tolerate owning the iPhone without iRealSMS. I do a ton of texting and if I had to close the forward app and reopen the messaging app everytime I got a text, I'd be screwed.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post


    I am looking forward to the end of my contract in July and the prospect of new hardware.



    Your argument is stupid of course you pay money for new hardware why stay stuck in the past, I'm not driving the car I first bought in 1979 either, I have a new house, oh noes they took my money.



    Besides iTunes audio already backgrounds on the 3G.



    You don't have to act like a rude jerk. I stated clearly that even if I am enjoying the new hardware, that doesn't mean I can't improve my older hardware for WHOEVER is using it.



    iTunes does work in the background, and with an app called Music Controls, so does Pandora.



    What are you going to be the Dad that passes down the family car to the kid and then declares the tires ought to last forever?



    Think Different, even if it means thinking it against Apple.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,756member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post


    I am looking forward to the end of my contract in July and the prospect of new hardware.



    Your argument is stupid of course you pay money for new hardware why stay stuck in the past, I'm not driving the car I first bought in 1979 either, I have a new house, oh noes they took my money.



    Besides iTunes audio already backgrounds on the 3G.







    We really need a facepalm smiley soon.



    Not everyone can or wants to spend money on the latest and greatest. Sometimes, people will actually try to get more from their devices than the manufacturer allows.



    What would be stupid would be to upgrade whenever Apple or any other corporation tells you. Since you are so free with your cash, I will assume you have never done any home improvement upgrades. That, after all, would be stupid. You should of course buy a new house instead. You probably have never upgraded you computer with extra memory or a faster CPU or bigger harddrive. That too would be stupid, right? Again, better to simply buy a new one because Apple wants to too.
  • Reply 9 of 27
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,756member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post


    I am looking forward to the end of my contract in July and the prospect of new hardware.



    Your argument is stupid of course you pay money for new hardware why stay stuck in the past, I'm not driving the car I first bought in 1979 either, I have a new house, oh noes they took my money.



    Besides iTunes audio already backgrounds on the 3G.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trumptman View Post


    You don't have to act like a rude jerk. I stated clearly that even if I am enjoying the new hardware, that doesn't mean I can't improve my older hardware for WHOEVER is using it.



    iTunes does work in the background, and with an app called Music Controls, so does Pandora.



    What are you going to be the Dad that passes down the family car to the kid and then declares the tires ought to last forever?



    Think Different, even if it means thinking it against Apple.



    This must be your first encounter with our Aussie friend.
  • Reply 10 of 27
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,756member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post


    I won't. Multitasking will be nice, but I prefer a more stable, better performing device. I can definitely get by until OS 4.0 comes out.



    Just curious... do you still have to connect the iPhone/iPod to the computer every time you reset it or turn it off if it's jailbroken?



    I assume you have the 3GS then. If you had the 3G, would you jailbreak to get multitasking?



    I don't think I will. I am leaning towards getting the new iPhone this year anyway and from what I understand the jailbreak of OS4 on a 3G really makes it a sluggish pig.
  • Reply 11 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post


    I assume you have the 3GS then. If you had the 3G, would you jailbreak to get multitasking?



    I don't think I will. I am leaning towards getting the new iPhone this year anyway and from what I understand the jailbreak of OS4 on a 3G really makes it a sluggish pig.



    Actually I've got a Touch 3. I prefer candy bar phones. I also text a lot, and I hate typing on the Touch/iPhone. T9 rules.



    There are plenty of people who can text on T9 faster than most people can type on a miniaturized QWERTY. I think I'm one of them. I know I certainly text faster on T9 than I can type on my Touch, and with better accuracy.



    If I had the 3G or a Touch 2, I'd get an iPhone 4 or new Touch when it comes out, and not upgrade the 3G to OS 4 at all.
  • Reply 12 of 27
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    No way am I going to jailbreak my 1G Touch for something as useless as multitasking. I'm gonna do it for the iAds.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post


    This must be your first encounter with our Aussie friend.



    Hey I thought you guys out in the regular forums had actual moderation. I never thought I'd go to PO to get treated better than here.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post


    Actually I've got a Touch 3. I prefer candy bar phones. I also text a lot, and I hate typing on the Touch/iPhone. T9 rules.



    There are plenty of people who can text on T9 faster than most people can type on a miniaturized QWERTY. I think I'm one of them. I know I certainly text faster on T9 than I can type on my Touch, and with better accuracy.



    If I had the 3G or a Touch 2, I'd get an iPhone 4 or new Touch when it comes out, and not upgrade the 3G to OS 4 at all.



    I felt the same way and sometimes still feel the same way. I've very torn, especially now that my wife has the Touch 3 with 32 gigs of luvin. I used to use the Nike+ with my iPod Nano. Now I've been using the GPS apps but tried them both and found the Nike+ was within .03 miles of the GPS app on most days. It is two devices, phone plus iTouch, but the battery life would be sooooo much better. Like most folks, if I could get the iPhone without the phone, it would be a done deal. As it is, the new Nike+ support has me seriously swooning.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post


    No way am I going to jailbreak my 1G Touch for something as useless as multitasking. I'm gonna do it for the iAds.



    I think in certain cultures jokes that bad are grounds for death by stoning.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    I want to install Windows 7 on the 486 that's lying around in my garage with Win98 SE installed, I want to install OSX on my Mac plus.



    Hardware improves and software goes with it such is the inescapable advance of technology.



    Now in that video the person who made it showed some fairly light Apps, what happens if you open a game or a phonecall comes in, will it crash the phone?



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post






    We really need a facepalm smiley soon.



    Not everyone can or wants to spend money on the latest and greatest. Sometimes, people will actually try to get more from their devices than the manufacturer allows.



    What would be stupid would be to upgrade whenever Apple or any other corporation tells you. Since you are so free with your cash, I will assume you have never done any home improvement upgrades. That, after all, would be stupid. You should of course buy a new house instead. You probably have never upgraded you computer with extra memory or a faster CPU or bigger harddrive. That too would be stupid, right? Again, better to simply buy a new one because Apple wants to too.



  • Reply 15 of 27
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,756member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post


    I want to install Windows 7 on the 486 that's lying around in my garage with Win98 SE installed, I want to install OSX on my Mac plus.



    Hardware improves and software goes with it such is the inescapable advance of technology.



    Now in that video the person who made it showed some fairly light Apps, what happens if you open a game or a phonecall comes in, will it crash the phone?



    Or (and this is just to keep the analogies close to some semblance or reality) you want to install Windows 7 on your 3 year old XP machine. I guess if Dell and MS say you need to upgrade to a brand new computer, you should. I wouldn't unless I decided it was time, but that is just me thinking for myself. Or if you got all wild and crazy and thought to try installing Snow Leopard on your Core2Duo MBP, just to be a real rebel. Oh wait, Apple has new hardware, so you shouldn't even consider installing SL...just buy a new MBP.



    Would OS4 run well on a 3G? No. Would I try it, personally? No. But to say someone's decision to try this is just stupid because there is new hardware available... well, one could throw the same adjective back.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,756member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trumptman View Post


    Hey I thought you guys out in the regular forums had actual moderation. I never thought I'd go to PO to get treated better than here.



    I think that's what all the old timers from PO experience. I started posting in the regular forums and learned quickly that PO is down right civil compared to some of the posters out here. If anyone, even longtime Apple enthusiasts, have even the smallest complaint about Apple, you are branded a heretic, a troll, stupid, whiner, complainer, anti-Apple or just dumb.



    I think a lot of the nouveau Apple fans are trying to prove their loyalty to Apple by being as reactionary and fanatical as possible.



    Over a decade posting mainly in PO and nearly 30 years using Apple products never prepared me for the enthusiasm of the new breed of Apple fans in the regular forums. I almost never post in PO anymore...much more interesting here these days.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    "infamous for such "you will give us the cash to upgrade" moves" = stupid argument.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post


    I think that's what all the old timers from PO experience. I started posting in the regular forums and learned quickly that PO is down right civil compared to some of the posters out here. If anyone, even longtime Apple enthusiasts, have even the smallest complaint about Apple, you are branded a heretic, a troll, stupid, whiner, complainer, anti-Apple or just dumb.



    I think a lot of the nouveau Apple fans are trying to prove their loyalty to Apple by being as reactionary and fanatical as possible.



    Over a decade posting mainly in PO and nearly 30 years using Apple products never prepared me for the enthusiasm of the new breed of Apple fans in the regular forums. I almost never post in PO anymore...much more interesting here these days.



  • Reply 18 of 27
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    I think the most tempting reason to Jailbreak is the MyWi app.

    Which turns the iPhone into a 3G-Driven WiFi base station.



    For those about to iPad. We salute thee.



    C.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post


    Or (and this is just to keep the analogies close to some semblance or reality) you want to install Windows 7 on your 3 year old XP machine. I guess if Dell and MS say you need to upgrade to a brand new computer, you should. I wouldn't unless I decided it was time, but that is just me thinking for myself. Or if you got all wild and crazy and thought to try installing Snow Leopard on your Core2Duo MBP, just to be a real rebel. Oh wait, Apple has new hardware, so you shouldn't even consider installing SL...just buy a new MBP.



    Would OS4 run well on a 3G? No. Would I try it, personally? No. But to say someone's decision to try this is just stupid because there is new hardware available... well, one could throw the same adjective back.



    I'd see the point of claiming the 3G is going to suck and chug outright if not for how Apple is implementing these features. Apps have to be rewritten to take advantage of them and to me that means what they are doing, from my limited understanding is having the program hand over what it is doing to a very efficient system service called via API and then having the program basically go into a frozen state. So I'd see the point if full apps were running full speed in the background but if Pandora, when moved to the background hands the streaming over to the same type of system service that allows the iPod to work in the background right now, how does that harm the performance of the 3G relative to what it is now? I mean the 3G already feels "chuggy" compared to the newer stuff on 3.1.3. The system service is what is multitasking, the apps themselves really aren't but instead are in a frozen state or perhaps even fully closed. When they are moved to the foreground, they again take control of the audio from the background service.



    While others have mentioned the memory, I'm going to suggest it has as much to do with or even more to do with how quick loading everything is on the 3GS compared to the 3G. It really looks like these apps going into a save state similar but perhaps slightly different from what they do now when they close. The difference is in their ability to request a background system call to continuing running or monitoring some small subset of what they normally do, in skype's case, monitoring for calls, in Pandora's running an audio stream. The issue has to do with reloading the app quickly in order for it to gain control of the background service and begin allowing manipulation of it again. Apps load much more slowly on the 3G than on the 3GS. We are talking about factors much higher than the 50% difference (from 400-600) in CPU speed.



    One of the main reasons people used to contend that they didn't need multitasking with the 3GS was that with push notifications and save state, it amounted to almost the same thing since everything loads so fast. I'm suggesting this is still mostly true and the real reason the 3G is being cast off on the multitasking in terms of user experience. But to most of us, the difference won't be any different for multitasking than it is for closing and switching between apps now to address push notifications. We wait that extra two or three seconds now and will then as well.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,756member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post


    "infamous for such "you will give us the cash to upgrade" moves" = stupid argument.



    OK.



    AFK...the New Home Warranty just expired on my house. So, I need to go buy a new house. My realtor says so.
Sign In or Register to comment.