The 4th Generation iPhone. Beauty or Beast?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 55
    momusmomus Posts: 54member
    I really like it, I was starting to get sick of the over-simplistic design of current Apple hardware (the unibodies in particular) and this makes me nostalgic for more modular designs such as the TiBook's.
  • Reply 22 of 55
    edubedub Posts: 37member
    By all accounts this is a prototype. The final version will likely not be identical, so it seems pointless to get all hysterical about various details, like the volume button.

Overall, I think it's showing a logical progression of Apple's design language, and I couldn't imagine that they would be able to evolve otherwise.
  • Reply 23 of 55
    c64c64 Posts: 33member
    i'm wondering if they do release a cdma for china cand it be jail broken to work on verizon?
  • Reply 24 of 55
    cu10cu10 Posts: 294member
    Tim Burton could've designed this model, I call it the Dark Knight iPhone
  • Reply 25 of 55
    ngmapplengmapple Posts: 117member
    I have to say they are doing some great work by continuing to phase out more wear prone components like plastic. It makes their products last longer cosmetically and thus puts more pressure on Apple to innovate if they want their customers to upgrade, since their existing devices can last quite a while. I have a feeling my 3G S is going to last at least as long as my first couple of Nokia phones when they were build like tanks rather then disposable commodities. Apple did a great job of introducing a phone that actually increased the average price and margin, breaking a trend for simply making phones cheaper that preceded the introduction of the iPhone. I just hope they don't use LG for the 4G battery.
  • Reply 26 of 55
    shrikeshrike Posts: 494member
    Put me down for beauty and beast. I think the design language is awesome, especially if the glass-like or ceramic-like back holds up to scratches. If it has a 1 GHz A4 with 512 MB RAM and a 960x640 TFT LCD screen with front facing cam and 5 MP w/LED flash cam, it's a beast. I think it'll be the best triangulation of hardware features, software and price of any cell phone that'll hit the market in the next 6 months.

Doesn't mean that everyone and their brother will buy a case and screen protector to protect it though. People like to protect their beautiful stuff, even though it's great to look at.
  • Reply 27 of 55
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 972member
    The seams on the side are bugging the hell out of me. I just can't imagine that Steve or Jonny would approve of a design that is an obsessive compulsive's worst nightware...seemingly needless and unwarranted breaks in the aluminium bezel. It goes against the trend of every latest product they've released and the unibody process they've invested in, be they ever more minimalistic iMacs to unibody (seemless exceept for one piece on the bottom to get the internals in) MacBook Pros.

I'm still overwhelmingly in favour that this is a giant stunt to throw off Apple's competitors, but only time will tell.
  • Reply 28 of 55
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s.metcalf View Post

The seams on the side are bugging the hell out of me. I just can't imagine that Steve or Jonny would approve of a design that is an obsessive compulsive's worst nightware...seemingly needless and unwarranted breaks in the aluminium bezel. It goes against the trend of every latest product they've released, be they ever more minimalistic iMacs to unibody (seemless exceept for one piece on the bottom to get the internals in) MacBook Pros.

I'm still overwhelmingly in favour that this is a giant stunt to throw off Apple's competitors, but only time will tell.

If you look at the teardowns, these are not manufacturing defects, or some inexplicable ability to create a continuous aluminum piece.

These seams are an intentional part of the design. They are not gaps, but filled with about a 1MM of a black solid non-metal material. This same piece expands out inside the case and wraps round some components.

My guess is that these are shock absorber parts. Designed to allow the case to flex and deform on being dropped.

C.
  • Reply 29 of 55
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 972member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

If you look at the teardowns, these are not manufacturing defects, or some inexplicable ability to create a continuous aluminum piece.

These seams are an intentional part of the design. They are not gaps, but filled with about a 1MM of a black solid non-metal material. This same piece expands out inside the case and wraps round some components.

My guess is that these are shock absorber parts. Designed to allow the case to flex and deform on being dropped.

C.

Interesting! In that case you have me sold! I can't wait to upgrade my 3G. It's still awesome but some apps are a tad sluggish.
  • Reply 30 of 55
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

C.

That was my final conclusion too. A solid ring of metal, dropped, would cause severe damage to internal components. Having some gap between them would absorb most of it.
  • Reply 31 of 55
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    I'm still waiting for the APPLE SURPRISE. I would really be disappointed to see Steve Jobs come out and say that what we saw is the 4G model.

I'm expecting a 4G phone with better productivity & connectivity. Anything less would be disappointing.
  • Reply 32 of 55
    The design won't be that significant once we get to see the real deal of its awesome

applications (hopefully apps on my expectations).

I would be really looking forward to its apps since for its the thing that makes the iPhone

different than any other phones out there.

Either way, I still like how it looks though the lesser sleek look.
  • Reply 33 of 55
    zurielzuriel Posts: 53member
    Great design. Both in terms of looks and functionality. The features is whats going to make this thing insane.
  • Reply 34 of 55
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

I'm still waiting for the APPLE SURPRISE. I would really be disappointed to see Steve Jobs come out and say that what we saw is the 4G model.

I'm expecting a 4G phone with better productivity & connectivity. Anything less would be disappointing.

... like ...?
  • Reply 35 of 55
    mr. kmr. k Posts: 115member
    The "4G" iPhone looks pretty professional, solid design and features. Now if only they would improve battery life over the 3GS.
  • Reply 36 of 55
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Well, as I've said before (and been laughed off the boards), if you want to see where Apple's design language is going you need look no further than the design of the EVE character from WALL-E.

A certain Mr. Ives had a large hand in EVE's design and he's a great believer in minimalism, with controls/features being hidden until they are required. If you study EVE closely, you'll see that her arms and fingers remain hidden until required, as do the various status indicators and compartments etc.

I think Apple products will become even more minimal, with the controls only revealing themselves when they are actually useful. It's interesting to see the 'hidden' power light on the Apple Wireless Keyboard, and the sleep light on the likes of the unibody MacBook Pros. You'd never know that those lights were there, until they are required.
  • Reply 37 of 55
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

Well, as I've said before (and been laughed off the boards), if you want to see where Apple's design language is going you need look no further than the design of the EVE character from WALL-E.

Ives is not obsessed with any specific design direction. But rather a set of design principles - which seem to be close to Deiter Rams.

Here are Rams' 10 commandments

1. Good Design is innovative

It does not copy existing product forms, nor does it produce any kind of novelty for the sake of it. The essence of innovation must be clearly seen in all functions of a product. The possibilities in this respect are by no means exhausted. Technological development keeps offering new chances for innovative solutions.

2. Good Design makes a product useful

A product is bought in order to be used. It must serve a defined purpose ? in both primary and additional functions. The most important task of design is to optimise the utility of a product.

3. Good Design is aesthetic

The aesthetic quality of a product ? and the fascination it inspires ? is an integral part of the its utility. Without doubt, it is uncomfortable and tiring to have to put up with products that are confusing, that get on your nerves, that you are unable to relate to. However, it has always been a hard task to argue about aesthetic quality, for two reasons.

Firstly, it is difficult to talk about anything visual, since words have a different meaning for different people.

Secondly, aesthetic quality deals with details, subtle shades, harmony and the equilibrium of a whole variety of visual elements. A good eye is required, schooled by years and years of experience, in order to be able to draw the right conclusion.

4. Good Design helps a product be understood

It clarifies the structure of the product. Better still, it can make the product talk. At best, it is self-explanatory and saves you the long, tedious perusal of the operating manual.

5. Good Design is unobtrusive

Products that satisfy this criterion are tools. They are neither decorative objects nor works of art. Their design should therefore be both neutral and restrained leaving room for the user?s self-expression.

6. Good Design is honest

An honestly-designed product must not claim features it does not have ? being more innovative, more efficient, of higher value. It must not influence or manipulate buyers and users.

7. Good Design is durable

It is nothing trendy that might be out-of-date tomorrow. This is one of the major differences between well-designed products and trivial objects for a waste-producing society. Waste must no longer be tolerated.

8. Good Design is thorough to the last detail

Thoroughness and accuracy of design are synonymous with the product and its functions, as seen through the eyes of the user

9. Good Design is concerned with environment

Design must contribute towards a stable environment and a sensible use of raw materials. This means considering not only actual pollution, but also the visual pollution and destruction of our environment.

10. Good Design is as little design as possible

Back to purity, back to simplicity.

Simplicity and aesthetics are some of Ives' goals.

But these should not over-ride other objectives like durability or honesty.

C.
  • Reply 38 of 55
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    If the 4G has:
    • Better Battery Life

• Good Connectivity

• A phone with clarity and more features

Then I'll agree IT Is a WINNER anything else is just candy

One more thing, Don't be surprised if the 4G is different from the pictures you are seeing.
  • Reply 39 of 55
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Everything is nice, except the volume buttons look too big and the seams are still bugging me after a few weeks.
  • Reply 40 of 55
    pheydpheyd Posts: 4member
    Does anyone have any solid inside information on whether AT&T will be carrying the new iPhone? After some poor experiences with other smartphones, I'll finally make the conversion to iPhone in June. Of course, I won't be if Verizon becomes the only provider. I can't stand Verizon. I think Apple would be making a huge mistake by teaming up with them.

The only thing about the new iPhone that would concern me is the battery life. A better screen generally means higher power consumption.