Confirmed next-gen Apple iPhone seen in person, disassembled

Comments

• Reply 181 of 394
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Just because it's a leak (planned or unplanned) and just because it is a real Apple device (as everyone assumes it is)... doesn't mean that this is the next iPhone!.

I suspect that Apple has several alternative designs of new products, showing different esthetics and features. At some point, in the development process they have to actually make a few "real" models to see how they look and feel.

This could be the real thing, an also ran, or a red herring!

I believe that this is a carefully orchestrated publicity stunt, designed to lead the tech media on a wild goose chase.

Those Apple guys are crafty.
  • Reply 182 of 394
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post

Believe me, the axe has fallen on the offending employees neck already. I imagine that Steve himself has tried to get that phone back if it's real. This could be the biggest blunder or scoop if it's a prototype. I have to admit that I would have asked if there was a reward for it's return before posting pictures online...

Apparently, Giz paid that "reward".

What I don't buy is the shady "found in a bar" story. I think this iPhone prototype was lifted, and if that's true, then Giz is in possession of stolen property.
  • Reply 183 of 394
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by masternav View Post

So yer kinda funny. Dense but funny. Almost a pity to have to ignore you now. Oh well.

My loss, I am sure.

hey, I lost a phone at a bar...anyone seen one? I wonder if Giz called me at home and I missed the call. Damn thieves.

• Reply 184 of 394
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Again, this looks good, but where are the internal shots showing the logic board? Why no mention of even trying to get into DFU mode? Why not Pwnage Team or GeoHot to work on something to get something running on this device to see the specs.

because if you release all the info all at once, who's going to come back for more tomorrow? and the day after that. and the day after that....
  • Reply 185 of 394
    If this were real, I would have expected to hear a lot more details about what they found when they "took it apart".

Blank (secret) chips?... Branded chips? (Apple A4?, Samsung?, etc)

Any rumor-mill poster worth listening to would have had WAY more information to share after disassembling that thing.

I read 80GB somewhere. How does that happen?... if it's flash memory, it'd have to be a factor of 2 to make any sense.

Interesting... but hardly "rock-solid" at this point.
  • Reply 186 of 394
    why isnt there a picture with it on????
  • Reply 187 of 394
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Doesn't really matter what Apple considers it. If it was truly lost, as in misplaced accidently, then it was, by definition, lost. Once Apple informs the party that currently has it, that it is Apple's property and requests that it be returned, then they can consider it stolen or misappropriated. Of course, that also would confirm it authenticity, so really, it is Apple that has to walk the fine line.

If this is the real thing and it was taken off the Apple property without permission, it is stealing. All Apple has to do is say so.

If that were the case, the person buying the declared 'stolen' property best get a lawyer. Surely, the folks a Gizmodo are well aware of Apple's position on 'trade secrets'. As such, it would have been prudent to check with Apple immediately after acquiring the item.

Not that Gizmodo would ever be found guilty, but the process of someone coming in off the street and saying, "Look, I just found this on a bar floor. Give me a couple of bucks and it is yours," could be as suspicious as someone saying, Gizmodo hired hired somebody to steal it in the first place.

As we see here, there are a lot of opinions on whether it is real, stolen, planted, lost, etc. Surely, anybody that has any ethics at all would inquire which was the case before they sold or bought it. But hey, this is the age of the internet. And as we know, unfortunately ethics went out the window a long time ago.
  • Reply 188 of 394
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

Nice.

+1

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

How does tht make sense? Between MBPs, iPhone OS v4.0 and the iPad Apple has plenty of products in play.

Since when does Apple need to leak a full product in this why? Why not just a photo? What is the point in all that secrecy just to take all the thunder out of Jobs iPhone event months ahead of time?

How does it benefit them to give their competion 2 extra months to play follow the leader. It doesn't make sense.

Besides quashing interest in competitive releases like the HTC Droid Incredible, I have no real answer to your question. I'm not privy to Apple's marketing strategy but as a veteran of Madison Avenue I recognize the hallmarks of a controlled leak. The incident is too contrived to make it accidental or coincidental.
  • Reply 189 of 394
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    I don't want to get into the story of real or not real. But what ever it is it does match Apple's current design style. They are going for very industrial look. new iMac and ipad are the latest designs, and they are pretty close to this iPhone.

• Reply 190 of 394
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

because if you release all the info all at once, who's going to come back for more tomorrow? and the day after that. and the day after that....

They sure released a lot of info at once, especially after sitting on it for an entire week. The only thing they didn't release are the parts that prove this is from Apple.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

I read 80GB somewhere. How does that happen?... if it's flash memory, it'd have to be a factor of 2 to make any sense.

Check out Intel's SSDs. Just think back to a decade ago when adding RAM to a PC. If you had 2x 32MB sticks and a 16MB stick you'd get 80MB yet each stick and each chip still conforms to a factor of 2. I'm not saying they will do that, but there is no law of computing tat prevents them from doing it an much evidence that it's possible.
  • Reply 191 of 394
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Haha holy crap, this is real isn't it?

Gizmodo's pictures are a lot better and I gotta say, it's a slick looking piece of hardware. No border, all glass, and a flat glass or something back. The seams are a little :/ but perhaps the final model won't look like that. Either way, higher res display and better camera with flash. Count me in.

Don't care about the ffcamera but oh well, that and multi tasking can shut the world up.
  • Reply 192 of 394
    stop thinking about it so much
  • Reply 193 of 394
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

If this is the real thing and it was taken off the Apple property without permission, it is stealing. All Apple has to do is say so.

If that were the case, the person buying the declared 'stolen' property best get a lawyer. Surely, the folks a Gizmodo are well aware of Apple's position on 'trade secrets'. As such, it would have been prudent to check with Apple immediately after acquiring the item.

Not that Gizmodo would ever be found guilty, but the process of someone coming in off the street and saying, "Look, I just found this on a bar floor. Give me a couple of bucks and it is yours," could be as suspicious as someone saying, Gizmodo hired hired somebody to steal it in the first place.

As we see here, there are a lot of opinions on whether it is real, stolen, planted, lost, etc. Surely, anybody that has any ethics at all would inquire which was the case before they sold or bought it. But hey, this is the age of the internet. And as we know, unfortunately ethics went out the window a long time ago.

Yes, if it was removed from Apple property then it was stolen. If it was found, it was found.
  • Reply 194 of 394
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    For The Curious - Here's The Original Craigslisting:

"So I did it again this last week, consumed way too much straight vodka within perhaps an hour. The party started at 7, I had to be removed by 10pm because I was biting/attacking/wanting/insulting people and in the process lost my employers iPhone 4G prototype model. It was lost at Fahrenheit Ultra Lounge & Restaurant downtown San Jose. The phone was hidden inside of an iPhone 3G case. The device has a front facing camera, 80GB of storage. The device, when found was probably running a newer version of iPhone OS but my employer bricked it remotely within a few hours. Pretty sure i'm going to lose my job over this so if you find the phone please email me. Thanks"

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/laf/1698812779.html
  • Reply 195 of 394
    originalgoriginalg Posts: 383member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

For The Curious - Here'sOoriginal Craigslisting:

"So I did it again this last week, consumed way too much straight vodka within perhaps an hour. The party started at 7, I had to be removed by 10pm because I was biting/attacking/wanting/insulting people and in the process lost my employers iPhone 4G prototype model. It was lost at Fahrenheit Ultra Lounge & Restaurant downtown San Jose. The phone was hidden inside of an iPhone 3G case. The device has a front facing camera, 80GB of storage. The device, when found was probably running a newer version of iPhone OS but my employer bricked it remotely within a few hours. Pretty sure i'm going to lose my job over this so if you find the phone please email me. Thanks"

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/laf/1698812779.html

I don't think the date of the post lines up with what Gizmodo is saying happened

EDIT: re-read it, yeah it might line up, but posting about it a whole week later? Don't think so..
  • Reply 196 of 394
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post

That thing is way too FUGLY to be authentic.

You just wanted to say "FUGLY"
  • Reply 197 of 394
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

I don't think the date of the post lines up with what Gizmodo is saying happened

EDIT: re-read it, yeah it might line up, but posting about it a whole week later? Don't think so..

Quite Possibly, but it was still interestingly funny -
  • Reply 198 of 394
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    Nope.

Been through the whole Giz thing.

There isn't one single thing shown, mentioned, or discussed that proves (or even strongly suggests) that this is an actual piece of Apple property. Not a single confirming picture; and only just a bunch of... "some dude said blah, blah, blah..."

That's it.

If it's real, Mr. Lam, then put up something, ANYTHING, that PROVES it.

I'm waiting. But until then; FAKE
  • Reply 199 of 394
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

Nope.

Been through the whole Giz thing.

There isn't one single thing shown, mentioned, or discussed that proves (or even strongly suggests) that this is an actual piece of Apple property. Not a single confirming picture; and only just a bunch of... "some dude said blah, blah, blah..."

That's it.

If it's real, Mr. Lam, then put up something, ANYTHING, that PROVES it.

I'm waiting. But until then; FAKE

• Reply 200 of 394
    .mac.mac Posts: 44member
    if this is the next gen iphone.. gonna got this too i just love the design