Confirmed next-gen Apple iPhone seen in person, disassembled

Comments

• Reply 121 of 394
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    Nobody lost it.

If it is real (I say it's not) then it wasn't even supposed to be off of the campus. Whatever this is. (if it was really actually found on a bar floor) it was planted there.

Anybody speak to any rep from the bar yet? What is the name of the bar? Who "found" it?
  • Reply 122 of 394
    bcodebcode Posts: 141member
    People are really playing up the possibility of a leak - keep in mind:
    1. If you so much as send a txt msg to a friend about an unreleased product while working at Apple - you're fired.

2. If you leave your work station without covering up the secret hardware you're working on, with the secret black blanket - you're fired (some projects are to be worked on, only while under the blanket, never to be exposed to the eyes of another employee).

3. If you go through a secured door without swiping your card (ride along on someone else's swipe) - you're fired.

4. If you refused to relinquish all your digital belongings, including private cell phone, laptop, email credentials, etc - when suspected of sending a txt about an unreleased product - you're fired!

Not to mention, functional prototypes of unreleased devices are kept in the level 4 security, R&D section of the Apple campus. You cannot take anything inside the level 4 doors - no usb drives, no cell phones, no laptops - nothing. If you require information or data, you send it electronically through approved channels so that it can monitored. You cannot exit level 4 with anything other than the clothes you brought in, having to pass through metal detectors and empty ones pockets.

Top-level executives are given restricted access to only the sectors required to effectively do their job - if your job doesn't entail top-level R&D, you'll never see the secured R&D sector - period.

Do you honestly believe that a prototype device got out from under the secret blanket, out of the secured doors, through the metal detectors and security tag detectors (yes, Apple is known to add security tags to prototype hardware), through 3 more levels of security, off the campus and then in a simple bit of drunken stupidity, was left unattended for even a split second?!?

Not just improbable - so improbable that it borders on impossible. When was the last time a completed, operational Apple product was leaked (all hardware and software together)? If I recall correctly, it was never.

Indeed, if it's actually an Apple device, it was planted. If it's not, it sure did get everyone talking - what can be said for sure is, it's certainly not the top-secret device that will be making waves this June.
  • Reply 123 of 394
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tasslehawf View Post

This is an intentional leak. It's probably a design they decided not to go with. When has a prototype even been "lost"? They've been stolen from Macworld displays.

A prototype 4th gen iPhone went missing leading to the suicide of a worker after interrogation and I don't believe it was recovered. Of course, the iPad was photographed a couple of days before it was launched and this iPhone is shown in that picture so it could have been the person who snapped the iPad took one of the new iPhones too.

I don't think it's important that the design is leaked. We knew what the 1st iPhone was going to be like 6 months before it was available for sale.

I like the features noted and some parts of the design. It does look a lot like other phones now though. The iPhone had a uniqueness that this design lacks somewhat.

I prefer flat sides for holding though and the edges shouldn't be as sharp when you hold it up to your ear. The flat surface on the back with the glass reference reminds me of the patent to use the back of the device as a trackpad but I still don't see how it would be practical.

A better camera is good and it appears it might go up to 80GB storage. At this stage, there's little they need to do to the device itself, it's the software they need to focus on. That's really the purpose of the iPhone design - to make the device irrelevant.

It should be a worthwhile upgrade.
  • Reply 124 of 394
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Again people, if you read Gizmodo's report you would realize there's no denying this new iPhone's authenticity.

Gizmodo is no Steve Job.
  • Reply 125 of 394
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Now these pics look good and give a lot of credence to it being real.

What I don't understand is why there are so few internal pics. Show us the NAND and the CPU.

And the radio/WiFi/BT and other wireless chip(s).

• Reply 126 of 394
    bilbo63bilbo63 Posts: 285member
    I tend to think that this was an intentional plant to throw everyone off. I cannot see this being an accident.

Also whenever something real pops up, Apple's legal team goes into high gear. I don't think that Gizmodo has been served a cease and desist order yet. What's that tell you?

To quote Elain Bennis: "fake, fake, fake, fake".

B
  • Reply 127 of 394
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

True. I was simply maintaing that we can't be categorical about it either way without knowing what was communicated between all the various parties over the last week. If it's indeed an open secret that Gizmodo has had it for a week I'm sure Apple knows it too. I'm assuming that at some point Apple would have asked for it's return but we don't know if they have, or if they did at what point they did.

If Apple asked for it back from the original finders before it was sold to Gizmodo, that puts Gizmodo in a bad spot, but there's no way of knowing at this point. It's possible that Apple hasn't asked for it back at all yet.

The one fact that would argue against this is that Giz has not claimed to have received a request from Apple. As soon as they do, you know that would trumpet that as the final proof of authenticity.

If they original finder was told by Apple to return it, then either they didn't tell Giz this (otherwise Giz would benefit by saying so) and Giz is not responsible, or the told Giz and Giz ignored this so they could get their hands on it for examination. Even then, I would expect Giz would have included this in their analysis as to why they feel it is real.

Apple isn't dumb. They know that as soon as they discuss this, it becomes real. As long as they do not formally request its return, then there is still doubt, at least as far as it being a final design.
  • Reply 128 of 394
    stuffestuffe Posts: 394member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msantti View Post

Um, is there an A4 chip in this thing?

+1

This is the one thing that I'm holding back on. They dissasembled it - wherefore the CPU pics? This would be a no-brainer.
  • Reply 129 of 394
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

Gizmodo is no Steve Job.

or even Steve Jobs... for that matter
  • Reply 130 of 394
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bilbo63 View Post

I tend to think that this was an intentional plant to throw everyone off. I cannot see this being an accident.

Also whenever something real pops up, Apple's legal team goes into high gear. I don't think that Gizmodo has been served a cease and desist order yet. What's that tell you?

To quote Elain Bennis: "fake, fake, fake, fake".

B

Could be a plant, but that doesn't mean it is fake. Apple could sent a cease and desist, but that would confirm authenticity.
  • Reply 131 of 394
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

And the radio/WiFi/BT and other wireless chip(s).

Word! Show us the Infineon X-Gold chip used. Are they moving to 14.4Mbps with HSUPA? How about a 4th 3GSM radio band for T-Mobile USA's wonky 1700MHz spectrum? Seems odd that these things easily found on any iFixit tesrdown aren't even mentioned.

Will this be known as PiltdownPhone?
  • Reply 132 of 394
    patranuspatranus Posts: 366member
    Quote:

Again people, if you read Gizmodo's report you would realize there's no denying this new iPhone's authenticity.

Picts of an Apple branded CPU or it is a fake.

Those pictures do not exist.
  • Reply 133 of 394
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Or a shrunken version of the iPad, if the iPad had a flat back.

Apple has a history of using the same design themes across their products. e.g. the white iMac resembled an iPod, and current iMac resembles an iPhone.

Yeah, I don't get those saying that this can't be real because it doesn't follow Apple's design aesthetic or because it doesn't have Ive's "signature."
    • It's a patented unibody design (despite the seams), that looks just like Apple's most recent products

• It has the (also patented), annular metal ring to hold the glass on.

• It's made from brushed aluminium and glass.

• It's thinner than last years model.

The thing looks pretty much exactly like what you'd get if you applied all of Apple's recent patented design elements to a phone. The only reason the glass isn't flush is that it would pop off when you dropped the phone. The only reason it has a glass back is because of the radio signal issue. Otherwise it would look almost exactly like a tiny iMac or an iPad.

Personally, I didn't like it so much on first sight, so I can understand a little revulsion and shock, but to suggest that it doesn't look like an Apple design or that it was made by Jonathan Ive is to be deliberately blind IMO.
  • Reply 134 of 394
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

or even Steve Jobs... for that matter

Sorry. Never own a single Apple product so I'm no expert on names.

I studied Ive's works though.
  • Reply 135 of 394
    naboozlenaboozle Posts: 213member
    Quote:

I'm not prepared to accept Gizmodo's integrity or infallibility as axioms.
  • Reply 136 of 394
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    C'mon folks, wise up. This is a viral campaign by Apple Marketing to promote the new iPhone HD. It leads me to suspect the phone will be released in June, as rumored, not July as customary.

I like the looks but the design is very retro. Perhaps Apple ironed out its "glass" panel issues now that the 27" iMac is in production but the exposed glass edge look vulnerable.

I have an i7 iMac getting delivered tomorrow and will pick up a new iPhone.

PS: My 16GB iPhone 3G will be for sale in June... PM me if you're interested.
  • Reply 137 of 394
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by morani View Post

Let's hope nobody wll die because of it..

One would certainly hope not, but if something untoward were to suddenly occur, it definitely won't be second page news given that it happened here in America, and the legal ramifications/consequences would likely be severe for Apple regarding the manner in which they treat/the pressure under which they place their employees etc.

Again: Let's Hope Nothing Happens
  • Reply 138 of 394
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Patranus View Post

That doesn't soun like an unreasonable request.
  • Reply 139 of 394
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Good to see a higher res screen and camera. The flash, if implemented well, would be a boon too.

However, using micro-SIMs is utter, utter fail. Like many large companies, the company I work for sources its business phones and SIM card separately. If the new iPhone uses a different standard, it won't be stocked. SIM cards are standardised for a reason!

EDIT: Why does it say XXGB on the back? Surely it's got more than 20GB of memory.
  • Reply 140 of 394
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Patranus View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Naboozle View Post

I'm not prepared to accept Gizmodo's integrity or infallibility as axioms.

Besides the fact that no chinese knock-off would come even remotely close to the internal build quality and external finish of this iPhone, there's this:

Quote:

Xcode and iTunes both see this as an iPhone. Mac OS X's System Profiler also reports this as an iPhone in restore mode, which is a natural consequence of remotely wiping the phone, but report different product identifiers (both CPID and CPRV) than either the 3G or the 3GS.