Confirmed next-gen Apple iPhone seen in person, disassembled

Comments

• Reply 81 of 394
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post

Why would Apple want to play into the Droid's masculine aesthetic shtick? Will Steve proudly proclaim that the iPhone is no longer a "beauty queen", at the behest of Motorola's sexist advertising?

Are there any real complaints that the iPhone currently looks feminine? Would Apple really go for a "masculine" look, thereby making the device less appealing to half (or more) of their target demographic?

My guess is that Apple would never release something which looked like this.

I'm not sure where the furor comes from on the squareness.

This isn't Apple following Droid or HP, its simply bringing consistency to their entire line.

This looks exactly like the iPad and all of the Macbook line.

They've converted the lost space from the rounded edges into usable space.

Not exactly a big stretch.

My first impression was not positive, but now that I look at it more, it looks just fine to me.
  • Reply 82 of 394
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

To be entirely honest, this looks strikingly similar to a shrunken version of the soon to be released Hp Slate... Interesting Indeed.

Or a shrunken version of the iPad, if the iPad had a flat back.

Apple has a history of using the same design themes across their products. e.g. the white iMac resembled an iPod, and current iMac resembles an iPhone.
  • Reply 83 of 394
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by masternav View Post

You have what looks like an iPhone, that when removed from the case looks like no other iPhone out there. So the first thing you do is video it then TAKE IT APART??????

What kind of morons are working over at Gizmodo anyway?? They've already tried to piss in Apple's Wheaties over Job's medical leave, now this? If it truly was an accidental leave-behind and not a plant, Jason Chen's backside will be sued into next Tuesday for taking apart a device he doesn't own and is reported as missing by Apple (allegedly). Unless it was a def plant and this was all staged to make it look "accidental". That is the only way that Jason Chen is off the hook for being foolish enough to crack the case. While I have seen some rather pathetic stuff ooze out of Gizmodo from time to time, I simply cannot believe Jason is THAT stupid.

So you have a choice I guess. Either a plant for the press to get their grubby little hands on a pre-release model to generate mindshare, and Jason Chen is simply a tool following directions about building awareness/speculation prior to the launch announcement.

OR

It was truly an accidental leave-behind, in which case someone from Apple is getting charred by Jobs for being careless and compromising Apple security around advance device work. Therefore Giz and Jason, are now in receipt of missing (reported stolen?) goods and in a fit of abject idiocy decide to blog it, take the thing apart AND take pictures. Something I would have expected my son to do (for example) when he was like 12 maybe. Not the behaviors of responsible adult journalist types (go with me on this one here). Which, for all my criticism of Giz, just doesn't make sense.

So, then you have the police report that it was stolen or even missing? If so, you should post it here, as you would have the scoop of the year. Imagine being able to confirm this is authentic...you should post it now.

Without that, while common sense says the Giz guys know it belongs to Apple, it could just as easily belong to you. Have they called you to ask if you are missing a phone?

What exactly do you think Apple will sue Giz over? taking it apart? I'd like to rad the legal precedent for that suit. They could sue them for posting the pics, whether disassembled or not...but again, that would confirm the authenticity, so unlikely for now. And that suit would only stick if Apple first informed Giz though a cease and desist...that will again confirm.
  • Reply 84 of 394
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    I thought this had been debunked already as a Chinese iPhone clone?
  • Reply 85 of 394
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

I'm not sure where the furor comes from on the squareness.

This isn't Apple following Droid or HP, its simply bringing consistency to their entire line.

This looks exactly like the iPad and all of the Macbook line.

They've converted the lost space from the rounded edges into usable space.

Not exactly a big stretch.

My first impression was not positive, but now that I look at it more, it looks just fine to me.

I'm not seeing how this looks 'exactly like the iPad' in the least. \

My iPad looks like little more than the display portion of my MacBook Pro separated from the keyboard, yet this 'device' has a completely different aesthetic in that it's effectively two similarly styled (protruding/flat) glass-like panels sandwiching a metallic band, all very reminiscent of Hp's recently revealed Slate computer.

• Reply 86 of 394
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Again, this looks good, but where are the internal shots showing the logic board? Why no mention of even trying to get into DFU mode? Why not Pwnage Team or GeoHot to work on something to get something running on this device to see the specs.
  • Reply 87 of 394
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

The report that it was a chinese knock-off was false.
  • Reply 88 of 394
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    They bought this from someone who claimed to have "found" it when they both obviously knew who it belonged to. No attempt was made to return it to the known owner. How is that not buying stolen goods?
  • Reply 89 of 394
    reliasonreliason Posts: 135member
    How about this chain of events?

Gizmodo is approached by a 'third party' (well, Apple, actually)

with the opportunity to get a pre-release look at one of the final set of design prototypes.

They are told what cover story to use 'found in a bar'.

They are told what pictures they can take, both assembled and disassembled.

And they have to sign a NDA the length of all US Case law....

BUT they get to generate a huge number of page hits.

During the SAME WEEK that the next generation Droid and the Microsoft KIN hit the news cycles.

Cases for: Quality of pix, device itself, limited exposure (no OS, no pic of CPU), timing.

Cases against: ?
  • Reply 90 of 394
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

The debunking was debunked.
  • Reply 91 of 394
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by poke View Post

They bought this from someone who claimed to have "found" it when they both obviously knew who it belonged to. No attempt was made to return it to the known owner. How is that not buying stolen goods?

How about that to buy stolen goods, the goods need to be stolen?
  • Reply 92 of 394
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Or a shrunken version of the iPad, if the iPad had a flat back.

Apple has a history of using the same design themes across their products. e.g. the white iMac resembled an iPod, and current iMac resembles an iPhone.

Who's to say that this design doesn't serve as the introduction to Apple's new aesthetic?

Personally, a change is long over-due...
  • Reply 93 of 394
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Google need not hire industrial espionage agents just use the Apple Rumor sites for their needs. Sad Apple is so betrayed at every turn these days.

Nah! Nothing here that competitors shouldn't have already figured out for themselves. If they haven't, there is not enough time to reverse engineer and get a competitive product to market before end of year... and by that time this year's game will be over and all the talk will be about next year's season.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinney57 View Post

Let the paranoid conspiracy theories abound!

Its clearly real and somebody's fucked up.

It's made a buying decision easy for me but I always feel a little sad when these things leak. Steve so loves his reveals.

Exactly!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Or was it an Apple drop? It is hard to imagine Apple letting people run around with the new model. Even JI or SJ would probably not use one in the wild. Now they have guaranteed page up and page down with free advertising, yet no-one is able to run the thing, so the important element (OS) are still hidden.

Exactly!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FormerARSgm View Post

If there is one thing we all know Apple excels at, it's controlling leakage. Sure, you could argue that Apple is known for occasional 'controlled leaks', but this would be well above that.

My primary doubt comes from the fact that it's highly unlikely someone could get a phone off of the Cupertino campus without setting off bells and whistles. Clearly, there are a few top-level executives that would have a functioning phone for testing purposes and would be allowed to leave campus, but the theory that they might lose on seems extremely unlikely.

One thing is for sure - whether this really is a leaked phone or it's the greatest hoax ever - there's a great story coming.

Exactly!

This is like an elegant, classy striptease from the likes of Lilli St. Cyr or Gypsy Rose Lee.

Show'em what you have... not too much, but just enough that they keep thinking about you and coming back for more.

Imagine the buzz created by this!

Surely, questions will be asked (and answered: "No Comment") at Apple's earnings meeting tomorrow.

I suspect there will be a series of additional revelations, say, for a month or so, leading up to the new iPhone announcement.

And fodder for some great [non-technical] rumors.... Is the new iPhone multi-carrier in the US... will a new PayGo plan be offered...

If you were at the end of a carrier contract, or in the market for a new phone... what would you do?

• Reply 94 of 394
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by reliason View Post

with the opportunity to get a pre-release look at one of the final set of design prototypes.

During the SAME WEEK that the next generation Droid and the Microsoft KIN hit the news cycles.

Cases for: Quality of pix, device itself, limited exposure (no OS, no pic of CPU), timing.

Then why was it FIRST reported by Engadget this weekend as an Exclusive?
  • Reply 95 of 394
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Speaking from designer's perspective, there is no Ive's signature in that design so I call it fake.
  • Reply 96 of 394
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by reliason View Post

This sounds plausible..."lost in a bar" is just pretty ridiculous. If they do out in the wild testing, it won't be in a bar filled with people. If Gizmodo doesn't post pics of the CPU you can bet this is the real story.
  • Reply 97 of 394
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Voltaic View Post

It could very easily be a drop.

They'd just make damned sure it got into the hands of exactly who they wanted it to....say, a technology blog...like, um....I dunno....Gizmodo.

Beaten to it... post deleted
  • Reply 98 of 394
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

Speaking from designer's perspective, there is no Ive's signature in that design so I call it fake.

Define - Fake?

Naysay all you want, but there's little room for doubt regarding from where this 'device' originated, and that's directly from Apple.
  • Reply 99 of 394
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Sorry. Someone slipped something into my drink.
  • Reply 100 of 394
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    The design wasn't my fav in the beginning but it's warming up to me.

I like the thinner design and the forward facing camera and the Flash (camera flash that is hyuck)

They say the battery is 16% larger which, if/when coupled with more energy efficient display and electronics) could yield in a plus 20% battery life improvement.

The display is higher rez and hopefully OLED.