Apple's Wi-Fi + 3G iPad models available in US on April 30

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple announced on Tuesday that its 3G-capable iPads will be delivered to U.S. customers who have preordered on Friday, April 30. The device will also be available in the company's retail stores the same day, starting at 5 p.m.

The 3G iPad models carry a $130 premium over their Wi-Fi-only counterparts. The 16GB model starts at $629, the 32GB capacity is $729, and the high-end 64GB offering is $829.

Apple also revealed that users of the 3G model will see an estimated 9 hours of battery life when surfing the Web using a 3G data network. Surfing the Web on Wi-Fi offers a slightly longer estimated capacity of 10 hours.

As with the Wi-Fi iPad launch, Apple retail stores will offer free personal setup service to every customer who buys the device in-store. U.S. retail stores are also hosting iPad workshops to help customers learn more about the product.

Some users this week began seeing charges on their credit card for preordered 3G iPads. Apple also began sending e-mails to customers to assure them that their purchase was still on track for its late-April release date. But beginning this week, new preorders for the device had an estimated ship date of May 7.

Though the U.S. launch remains on track, last week Apple revealed that it was forced to delay the international launch of the iPad due to high demand stateside. Customers overseas will be able to get their hands on an iPad -- both the Wi-Fi and 3G models -- at the end of May. The Wi-Fi-only version of the iPad sold more than a half-million units in its first week of availability.

In its press release Tuesday, Apple reiterated that the iPad will be available at the end of May in Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Spain, Switzerland, and the U.K. International pricing will be announced when the company begins taking online preorders on May 10.

Though the 3G-capable iPad is not locked to any specific carrier, its internal radio is only compatible with AT&T's high-speed 3G wireless network in the U.S. AT&T is offering no-contract data plans for the iPad that run $15 per month for 250MB of bandwidth, or $30 a month for unlimited access.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 55
    isamdcisamdc Posts: 4member
    Now THAT'S what I'm talkin' about!
  • Reply 2 of 55
    Finally an answer to when I'll see that brown box from heaven show up to my door!
  • Reply 3 of 55
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    D'oh! I was hoping they would be delivered on the 24th.
  • Reply 4 of 55
    Hopefully UK pricing will be announced by carriers on 10th May as well.. O2, Orange etc.
  • Reply 5 of 55
    finally an update that does make it sound like the sky is falling. The media drive me nuts on anything with apple. It seems like some of them are always looking for hidden messages and always have to jump the gun to make conclusions ... and go all doomsday on the world about apple.

SO THANK YOU Apple Insider Team for the coverage. Its refreshing to read your updates. You do an awesome job.

Ok so enough of the belly aching...

I had pre-ordered my Ipad 3G 64GB about 4 weeks ago and I just received the following email on Monday at 7:15AM CST.

To Our Valued Apple Customer:

Thank you for your recent order of the magical and revolutionary

iPad 3G.

We would like to confirm that your order will be shipped in late

April as communicated at the time you placed your order. You will

receive a confirmation notice when your order has shipped.

You can get up-to-date information about your order, including

shipping status and tracking number, at http://www.apple.com/orderstatus

Thank you for choosing Apple.

Sincerely,

The Apple Store Team
  • Reply 6 of 55
    macdadmacdad Posts: 16member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Though the 3G-capable iPad is not locked to any specific carrier, its internal radio is only compatible with AT&T's high-speed 3G wireless network in the U.S.

Huh? does this mean the US ipad 3G will not be able to run on cellular networks outside the US?? or does it mean it will only run on 3G networks worldwide?? never really heard of such restrictions on a cellular device...
  • Reply 7 of 55
    leptonlepton Posts: 111member
    This is the longest 27 days of my life!
  • Reply 8 of 55
    dotcomctodotcomcto Posts: 130member
    I wouldn't call April 30th "late-April"...that's "end-April".

I really hoped it would arrive this week. I'm starting a new job on 5/3 and wanted more than a couple of days to set up my iPad.

Good to have an official date, but this stinks.

\

--DotComCTO
  • Reply 9 of 55
    I'll be on line at 4.
  • Reply 10 of 55
    Not locked to a carrier but the radio doesn't work with any other carrier?!?!?!?! What the hell? Can someone further elaborate on this?

Apple's iPad 3G tech specs say:

UMTS/HSDPA (850, 1900, 2100 MHz)

GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

and the 3G detail page says access to 3G networks around the world. Is there really no other US carrier that uses any of these 3G technologies???

These specs are the same as the iPhone 3GS. What I'm not liking is that this probably doesn't match up with the networks used for my emobile usb stick in japan. I was hoping to copy the SIM data to a micro sim card...
  • Reply 11 of 55
    This is the first time I've seen anything about the AT&T radio restriction! I'm Europe based and have ordered a product which now appears not to work on the 3G networks originally advertised on the product listing. HELP!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by urbansprawl View Post

Not locked to a carrier but the radio doesn't work with any other carrier?!?!?!?! What the hell? Can someone further elaborate on this?

and the 3G detail page says access to 3G networks around the world. Is there really no other US carrier that uses any of these 3G technologies???

These specs are the same as the iPhone 3GS. What I'm not liking is that this probably doesn't match up with the networks used for my emobile usb stick in japan. I was hoping to copy the SIM data to a micro sim card...

• Reply 12 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macdad View Post

Huh? does this mean the US ipad 3G will not be able to run on cellular networks outside the US?? or does it mean it will only run on 3G networks worldwide?? never really heard of such restrictions on a cellular device...

No this is only saying that in the US only AT&T can provide service for the iPad because of the 3G frequency used. This is the same issue we have here with people running an iPhone on T-Mobile, you can only run at EDGE speeds I believe. All other countries that use these frequencies and can get G3 service for iPhone are OK.
  • Reply 13 of 55
    So lucky who can buy it..............
  • Reply 14 of 55
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Aaah... to cancel yesterday's order for a 16GB WiFi and hope for luck at the Apple Store for a 64/3G? I'm sure I can find some use for two... depending on how the earnings report today goes...
  • Reply 15 of 55
    huzzahhuzzah Posts: 6member
    Just curious what the shipping time is for the iPad 3g? Any guesses, or better yet, facts?

I am trying to find the initial shipping time for the wi-fi launch to use as a proxy. I admit I'm anxious...I've downloaded my apps and am tired of hearing about the great time the wi-fi folks are having.

It would suck to have the thing arrive during the week because of work, but whatever. I'll keep my fingers crossed we'll get it on Sat...

Edit: Just found the wi-fi only shipping timeline for the April 3rd launch, and it looks like Apple started shipping to pre-order folks on March 29th. So....that was 5 business days as a proxy for shipping time....

Also, I just noticed that the above article states they will be delivered on April 30th. I have read many other articles stating that it is shipping on April 30th. There's a HUGE difference between the two. Anyone have any clarification on this?
  • Reply 16 of 55
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macdad View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by urbansprawl View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mikehackett View Post

This is the first time I've seen anything about the AT&T radio restriction! I'm Europe based and have ordered a product which now appears not to work on the 3G networks originally advertised on the product listing. HELP!

Dear AI staff,

This is not the first time you've used ambiguous phrasing on this topic. Please make it more clear as this is obviously not understood by many readers.

A suggestion...
    Quote:

Though the 3G-capable iPad is not locked to any specific carrier, in the US, its internal radio is only compatible with AT&T's 3G network

Additionally, to be more clear you can append...
    Quote:

However, 2G EDGE and GPRS will still work as expected on T-Mobile USA.

• Reply 17 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Huzzah View Post

Also, I just noticed that the above article states they will be delivered on April 30th. I have read many other articles stating that it is shipping on April 30th. There's a HUGE difference between the two. Anyone have any clarification on this?

We do need specific clarification - will pre-orders arrive on the 30th? Many of us ship to the office to avoid having to wait around at home to provide signature. But, if the product is going to arrive Saturday, we need to change the ship address back to our homes.

IMHO - Apple should reward pre-orders with delivery on Friday - giving those folks a few hours of fun before the store launch at 5pm.
  • Reply 18 of 55
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple announced on Tuesday that its 3G-capable iPads will be delivered to U.S. customers who have preordered on Friday, April 30. The device will also be available in the company's retail stores the same day, starting at 5 p.m.

Gah, when's it going to be at non-Apple retail stores? I got a bunch of Best Buy vouchers through my credit card points and need the iPad 3G to turn up there!
  • Reply 19 of 55
    milkmagemilkmage Posts: 152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Huzzah View Post

Just curious what the shipping time is for the iPad 3g? Any guesses, or better yet, facts?

i was in the second round of WiFi orders. the ones that were supposed to arrive 4/12 (Monday).

-destination west coast.

4/8 pickup request sent to fedex

picked up 4/9* - AM

depart Alaska - 4/10

arrive regional distribution hub 4/11

arrive local distribution hub 4/12 - AM

unboxing.. my house - 4/12 afternoon.

*note - it missed the pickup on 4/9 and the estimated delivery slipped from 4/12 to 4/14.. but they managed to meet the advertised date anyway. YMMV if you don't live on the same side of the country as me
  • Reply 20 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by getrusty View Post

Ok so enough of the belly aching...

Bwaaa...... I can't wait for another 10 days! (Where's our Canadian friend from WAAA?)

Btw, Apple is doomed!™