Apple warns iPhone OS users of jailbreaking risks

Comments

• Reply 21 of 69
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Chill out folks. Apple's performing a public service here and covering their ass. It's expected. You're essentially hacking your phone with unauthorized and unsupported software. OBVIOUSLY they're going to put out a little notice about it.

Whether YOU have experienced it is beside the point. Try thinking outside of your little personal space.

LOL @ people screaming "1984!"
  • Reply 22 of 69
    It is, worse even is that not only is the jail break awesome, its beneficial to Apple, when I first got my iPhone I didnt even know that I could JB it, when I did, I loved it even more, so ill now be a repeat customer iffff I can JB the next iPhone, if not, then ill probably go blackberry.
  • Reply 23 of 69
    jblongzjblongz Posts: 167member
    Deep down inside, Apple is only concerned with its AppStore security. I'm sure they spy 3rd part apps and jailbreak technologies to perfect their own proprietary ideas.

I bet Apple DOES have a spy team consisting of some of the top unix reversers
  • Reply 24 of 69
    Just thinking out loud here...

I know that iPhone OS 4.0 has been JailBroken...

But, I wonder if there is something in the A4 chip on the iPad and whatever chip Apple uses on the next iPhone and iPad Touch that will deter or prevent running a JailBroken OS....

...Possible?

• Reply 25 of 69
    jglavinjglavin Posts: 93member
    That article was posted a long time ago on Apple's site. I think they just updated it to include iPad in the "Products affected" line. I remember reading it after having bought a new 3G and was thinking about jailbreaking.
  • Reply 26 of 69
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Can't say that I've run into any of those problems, and I've actually increased my battery life by having quick access to turn off power-robbing features like Wi-Fi, 3G, Bluetooth, and Location Services (GPS) when I don't need them.

These observations may be true, but still anecdotal. Your experiences may be because you have the technical knowhow to navigate the potential pitfalls, and know how to deal with the repercussions, if something goes awry.

As far as I m concerned, users like myself, who are not tech-savvy enough have no business tinkering the innards of complex electronic gadgets.

But, consider the scenario involving clueless users who jailbreak and actually "break" their phones, for one reason or another. Are these possible? Can they happen? You can safely bet they can and do happen.

Then the clueless users complain to Apple, about their phone not working, being sluggish or whatever.

Should Apple be obligated to fix such jailbroken phones that malfuntioned at no cost to the culprit?

If you honestly can say NO, Apple is not obligated, then there is no issue.

Quote:

But go ahead AI, keep spreading Apple's fear-mongering!!

Is there any solid evidence to suggest that all these potential consequences of "jailbreaking" are "Apple's fear-mongering"?

Quote:

I'll stick to my jailbroken 3GS complete with tethering and UI modifications.

Provided users take the consequences of your action, there should be no problem.

CGC
  • Reply 27 of 69
    bartfatbartfat Posts: 434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Wow! Can't believe you get better T-Mobile 2G coverage than even AT&T's 2G coverage.

Same with me. AT&T can't get a signal here. Meanwhile T-Mobile coverage is rock solid.
  • Reply 28 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freddych View Post

Hmmm. I haven't had any of these problems on my jailbroken iPhone.

Funny, neither have I. If Apple and AT&T would live up to their promises, such as tethering, then I wouldn't feel the need to jailbreak. But the fact that neither company will live up to their advertising promises tends to promote jailbreaking. Jailbreaking does none of the things Apple is warning people of. Some apps may indeed cause some instability, but none of the apps I have downloaded from Cydia have caused any instability, etc. Jailbreakers do need to change the default SSH password. Once you do this, the jailbroken iPhone is just as secure as a non-jailbroken one.
  • Reply 29 of 69
    shavexshavex Posts: 34member
    Yes! #3 you are totally right! My battery life has increased and crashing apps? My in-laws don't believe in jailbreaking and they have had MORE app crashes than I ever have!
  • Reply 30 of 69
    I am probably in the minority, but I did start to have problems with my jailbroken phone that caused me to revert back to normal.

At first I figured it was just ATT being screwy, but my phone started missing calls, not ringing or even giving a missed call message at all, sometimes going straight to voice mail, some texts not being sent.. It had never happened in the year and a half since I got the phone, and then started happening all of a sudden for a few weeks until i got rid of the jailbreak. And since then I've had no problems.
  • Reply 31 of 69
    I'm happyily jailbroken and obviously smart about what I've installed.

Was anything that Apple just said not true though, NO.

To deny that there are, can be or has been issues with some jailbroken apps is foolish because we all know it has happened. Whether we are experiencing them now, the odds of problems caused by modify core system files, or private APIs is higher. Its just come sense.

Now some of us are willing to take that chance because the benefits outweigh the possible costs and/or we are willing to work through those issues.

Joe public gets his/her iPhone jailbroken and has problems isn't gonna say, damn app X from Cydia. They're gonna just blame the iPhone and Apple.

Nothing wrong with Apple making the GP aware of this.
  • Reply 32 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Any person who jailbreaks a phone knows the risks. Nothing to see here, just Apple covering their ass.

Actually I know that's not true. I've been in the Apple Store on more than one occasion when someone brought in a jailbroken phone trying to get it fixed. It's funny to watch the look of disbelief on the genius folk's faces when the person hands it over. They sort of do a double take & you can tell they are thinking, "are you serious, you really think we don't recognize jailbreaking when we see it?" I got a lot of respect for them, they are always very polite as they calmly explain that jailbreaking is not supported nor allowed by Apple & that doing so voids the warranty. Funny but the person bringing it in always acts irate, like they didn't see that coming?!

Some people.
  • Reply 33 of 69
    zc456zc456 Posts: 96member
    Quote:

Apple strongly cautions against installing any software that hacks the iPhone OS. It is also important to note that unauthorized modification of the iPhone OS is a violation of the iPhone end-user license agreement and because of this, Apple may deny service for an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch that has installed any unauthorized software.

Its funny how some people think a company can't cover their ass because users think its okay to violent the terms of service. I don't care how controlling Apple is over their own hardware. Jailbreaking obviously has its consequences. Denying that it does is just foolish.
  • Reply 34 of 69
    popspops Posts: 15member
    it is weird though that when I spoke to some upper level Apple helpdesk people in both the Netherlands and the US last week (trying to get my ATT iPhone that I paid $700 for unlocked for use in Europe) that they both told me to Jailbreak my iPhone to be able to use it with other carriers.
  • Reply 35 of 69
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:

Can't say that I've run into any of those problems, and I've actually increased my battery life by having quick access to turn off power-robbing features like Wi-Fi, 3G, Bluetooth, and Location Services (GPS) when I don't need them.

But go ahead AI, keep spreading Apple's fear-mongering!! I'll stick to my jailbroken 3GS complete with tethering and UI modifications.

It?s not fear-mongering: it?s true.

Jailbreaking CAN be harmless, but it also CAN cause problems. Running more stuff at once (even Springboard mods) is typically going to use more RAM (and sometimes more power). There?s no free lunch. And RAM is tight (VERY tight prior to the 3GS) in iPhone OS, which does not page to virtual memory.

We?ve all seen apps suddenly exit due to low RAM. Modding your system makes that more likely UNLESS your mods don?t use any RAM (which is probably not the case!) or unless you simply don?t run apps that gobble RAM. YMMV... many games are RAM hogs, for example. Or, if you manually manage your RAM (which you may, but not everyone does) then that helps.

The worst is what I?ve heard from developers of apps/games that really need RAM: jailbreakers (maybe not all of them, maybe not you personally) have lower RAM and see crashes as a result. They then rate the app lower and write bad reviews. All the while THEY caused the problem, not the developer, and the developer has no way to respond! Sounds pretty frustrating. I bet some of those developers will gladly?and quite truthfully?point to this tech note.

So yes, jailbreaking CAN be harmless. But you simply can?t pretend it?s always harmless. Nor is it Apple?s job to figure out just how to make sure jailbreaking IS harmless. So they issue this legitimate warning. Now, Apple has many other motives too, I?m sure, but that doesn?t change the problems jailbreakers truly do experience.
  • Reply 36 of 69
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Maybe I should have said any informed person....
  • Reply 37 of 69
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    The only true 'risks' involved in jailbreaking one's iPhone/iDevice is the risks of lost Apple revenue from people not buying from/being locked into the iTunes ecosystem.

I say if you bought the phone, it's yours to do with as you see fit... all else is essentially MOOT.
  • Reply 38 of 69
    zc456zc456 Posts: 96member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

The only true 'risks' involved in jailbreaking one's iPhone/iDevice is the risks of lost Apple revenue from people not buying from/being locked into the iTunes ecosystem.

Umm, Apple makes very little money off of the iTunes and App Store. Most of it comes from their hardware if you've ever kept track of their finical reports. So, yeah, no loss.
  • Reply 39 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pOps View Post

it is weird though that when I spoke to some upper level Apple helpdesk people in both the Netherlands and the US last week (trying to get my ATT iPhone that I paid $700 for unlocked for use in Europe) that they both told me to Jailbreak my iPhone to be able to use it with other carriers.

When I had to return to the UK after just 1 year of my 2 year contract with AT&T, I couldn't get them to unlock my iPhone 3G - they just stonewalled with 'our agreement with Apple doesn't allow us to do that'.

Despite pointing out that I had paid my early cancellation fee, and that UK operators were unlocking iPhones for a small fee when contracts had finished, I just got a stonewall response again.

I even wrote to the FCC about it, who 'investigated' my complaint and just parroted back the same 'the business agreement between AT&T and Apple does not allow unlocking'.

So faced with the choice of operating my iPhone as a 'WiFi only iPod Touch imitator', or jailbreaking it to use my UK SIM card in it, unsurprisingly I chose to take the risk and actually be able to make use of a phone I had paid for.
  • Reply 40 of 69
    I have yet to run into any serious issues with my Jailbroken phones-- 2G, 3G, 3GS. Naturally, the 2G was the least stable of the three, but still very much functional. My Jailbroken 3GS runs like a dream.

I agree, however, that with each upgrade Apple releases, the less of a reason there is to Jailbreak. Still For me, it's SBS settings all the way. It is just something I use without fail, everyday. There are some real functionalities there that Apple for one reason or another refuses to implement; Quick dim/Bright screen, Toggle orientation, quick auto lock, re-start, etc. I just don't see the conflict.

Having said all that, and wether I completely agree or not, I understand Apple's position. It will be interesting to see how things progress.

*Looking forward to the new Iphone though-- hardware/software both look truly outstanding, with the exception of unchanged notifications.