Apple warns iPhone OS users of jailbreaking risks

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 69
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by awmawm View Post

With phones sold through official channels in the U.S. (i.e. AT&T or Apple), you unfortunately have to jailbrake your iPhone in order to unlock it, even once you are outside the 2-year contract.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Goldenclaw View Post

As the person before me just said...can't unlock it without jailbreaking it.

Apple and AT&T apparently have the ability to unlock it but since they won't do it, we have to rely on third party hacks.

What you two are talking about is a software unlock which requires access to the system firmware. There are also HW unlockers, too, which don't require any jailbreaking.
  • Reply 62 of 69
    I paid full price for an unlocked iphone in a country where they are sold that way, so the swapping of sims isn't an issue, I still jailbroke it to to get tethering working as this was a feature I already used on my previous phone and I didn't see why I should continue to occasionally use it as I hadnt changed my calling contract with O2 in any way.

I haven't had any of these problems with my phone, and the advantages of SB settings for example, allow you to manage battery life a lot easier by activating and deactivating sub-systems as you need them.

I generally still get excellent battery life for a 18 month old phone as long as everything isn't turned on, and if I'm roaming ut of the UK with everything but basic phone functions turned of I get days out of it.

You'd foolish to jalbreak without changing the root password afterwards.

If these features were a normal part of the OS I would never have bothered jailbreaking.
  • Reply 63 of 69
    nasdarqnasdarq Posts: 137member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Android Market, where there is less development, less commercial motivation to create apps, large security holes in how apps are installed, and no coherent strategy for progressively moving the platform ahead. The Android platform is in many respects similar to a jailbroken iPhone.

All true, but there is one essential omission of something that Google delivers and Apple doesn't: freedom from censorship.

I am convinced jailbreaking will be much more common with the iPad than it ever was with the iPhone, as you will probably be able to torrent books and movies for free, and maybe also use 3G access from other operators than those approved by Apple ...

But deep down inside, I have a feeling that all this anti-jailbreaking stance by Apple is not entirely honest. They are not like Microsoft, depending entirely on software sales. This warning by Apple is probably just one more bone thrown to the regulators and the content industry, while minding another ultimate goal: to sell as many devices as they can (subsequently jailbroken or not).
  • Reply 64 of 69
    robogoborobogobo Posts: 378member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iNoodles View Post

It is, worse even is that not only is the jail break awesome, its beneficial to Apple, when I first got my iPhone I didnt even know that I could JB it, when I did, I loved it even more, so ill now be a repeat customer iffff I can JB the next iPhone, if not, then ill probably go blackberry.

yes. exactly.
  • Reply 65 of 69
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

Have you even read the book? I cannot believe you would ever make a broken comparison like that if you had.
  • Reply 66 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marik View Post

I wonder if this will have any effect on the cat and mouse game the hackers and Apple have been playing. This almost seems like Apple throwing in the towel and giving up. Maybe they consider it waste of resources having to run and block whatever means the hackers are exploiting in order to jailbreak the devices.

It's a never-ending and ultimately pointless game. However, Apple must be seen to actively protect the integrity of their devices, if only to insulate itself from liability and retain the trust of those content-creating partners (developers, Record, Film, TV and Print Media industries etc) that expect Apple to do so, not to talk of consumers' expectations of privacy and safety.

From a purely technological point of view, the challenge posed by jailbreakers is not all negative - some of the most ground-breaking offerings in the App Store have literally "come in from the cold" having originated from precisely such jailbreaking efforts. And IT Security experts swear by the knowledge gained from the incessant attempts to compromise their safeguards, serving to keep them on their toes with regard to vigilance and up-to-date methodology.
  • Reply 67 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nasdarq View Post

All true, but there is one essential omission of something that Google delivers and Apple doesn't: freedom from censorship.

Not entirely true..

Google the word "Cyanogen" and read carefully...
  • Reply 68 of 69
    It reminds me of the time when there were warnings that "copied video cassettes can damage your video recorder". Then there was "copied cd's can damage your cd player" as well as the ever popular "modded Playstations are bad for you!". Maybe it's true but as long as the advantages of a free iPhone outweigh the disadvantages of a minor risk to my iPhone, I use the same policy that I use for drinking single malt and smoking cigars.
  • Reply 69 of 69
    jblongzjblongz Posts: 167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Just thinking out loud here...

I know that iPhone OS 4.0 has been JailBroken...

But, I wonder if there is something in the A4 chip on the iPad and whatever chip Apple uses on the next iPhone and iPad Touch that will deter or prevent running a JailBroken OS....

...Possible?

Funny you asked before: Apple exploring 'particle gun' based wireless authentication