Apple profits rise over 89% on sales of 2.94M Macs, 8.75M iPhones

Comments

• Reply 21 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LouisTheXIV View Post

Makes their price rises on the Macbook pro's that much more obscene. As well at the $120 ripoff for the iPad with a 3G chip.

And $50 billion in pure profit sitting in a bank, and not a penny going back to the stockholders.

Hello, sorry to be heartless (we stockholders are having a small party here): you may confusing cause and effect.
  • Reply 22 of 138
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Makes their price rises on the Macbook pro's that much more obscene. As well at the $120 ripoff for the iPad with a 3G chip.

And $50 billion in pure profit sitting in a bank, and not a penny going back to the stockholders.

There's a good analysis as to why Apple can't give much of that back.

http://blogs.wsj.com/source/2010/04/.../?mod=yahoo_hs
  • Reply 23 of 138
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

we have several more extraordinary products in the pipeline for this year

Several !!!!111111!!!
  • Reply 24 of 138
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Amazing.

"We?ve launched our revolutionary new iPad and users are loving it, and we have several more extraordinary products in the pipeline for this year including the one you saw yesterday."

j/k

• Reply 25 of 138
    iTouch sales up 63% yoy.
  • Reply 26 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

And Ara Technica is having a live blog of the call, which has just started.

Even better, you can listen to it live here: http://www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/earningsq210/

• Reply 27 of 138
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Stock up >$18 (not a typo).

The object in Microsoft's rear view mirror is closer than it looks.

Very loud footsteps now.
  • Reply 28 of 138
    Quote:

Even better, you can listen to it live here: http://www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/earningsq210/

I'm listening to that as well. But Jacqui does a good job of giving the important info, and people can comment.
  • Reply 29 of 138
    Their forward looking expectations for the next quarter is going to be disappointing, as usual. I just hope it doesn't cut the gains back that they made tonight.
  • Reply 30 of 138
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:

There's a good analysis as to why Apple can't give much of that back.

http://blogs.wsj.com/source/2010/04/.../?mod=yahoo_hs

Not sure I can agree with much of his reasoning (not that anyone is expecting a huge dividend). He appears to be making an assumption that Apple's cash is being invested at a high rate of return. Heavens why?

I think he's also short of Apple's cash. I'm pretty sure it's well over $50b with securities.
  • Reply 31 of 138
    What is interesting to hear is how these guys (Cook and Oppenheimer) speak dozens of sentences to basically say 'NO,' or 'NO COMMENT.'

Good thing it's not SJ on the call......
  • Reply 32 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kerryn View Post

And I still kick myself today that I did not buy Apple stock when it was at $88...

I did buy when it was at that price and even bought when it fell to $80. But I still kick myself today that I did not buy more!

• Reply 33 of 138
    Interesting numbers never before released. Revenue from "greater China", which includes mainland China, Taiwan, and Hong Kong, was $1.3 billion over the past 6 months, up 200% (four times) from the year before.
  • Reply 34 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Not sure I can agree with much of his reasoning (not that anyone is expecting a huge dividend). He appears to be making an assumption that Apple's cash is being invested at a high rate of return. Heavens why?

I think he's also short of Apple's cash. I'm pretty sure it's well over $50b with securities.

It seems sound to me.
  • Reply 35 of 138
    Quote:

Interesting numbers never before released. Revenue from "greater China", which includes mainland China, Taiwan, and Hong Kong, was $1.3 billion over the past 6 months, up 200% (four times) from the year before.

And, I thought I heard him say 9X increase in China?
  • Reply 36 of 138
    Quote:

And, I thought I heard him say 9X increase in China?

That was phone growth.
  • Reply 37 of 138
    Phone growth in Asia overall was almost 500%. Almost 200% in Japan.
  • Reply 38 of 138
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Come on AAPL $300!!!!

Looks like they'll open up about $15 dollars a share tomorrow.... WOW!
  • Reply 39 of 138
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:

Obscene? It sure makes it look like they know what they're doing - it's not like people are forced to buy their products.

And as a stockholder, I'm VERY happy with how they are doing. I'll take reinvestment in the company over a dividend any day.
  • Reply 40 of 138
    Consider that in Japan with Softbank, it's as though the only carrier in the US was TMobile, and the phone was still a major seller, and the most popular model overall.