Apple profits rise over 89% on sales of 2.94M Macs, 8.75M iPhones

Comments

• Reply 41 of 138
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Phone growth in Asia overall was almost 500%. Almost 200% in Japan.

Quote:

Interesting numbers never before released. Revenue from "greater China", which includes mainland China, Taiwan, and Hong Kong, was $1.3 billion over the past 6 months, up 200% (four times) from the year before.

1) Did they mention South Korea?

2) Did you see the article (not AI article) from a couple weeks ago about the success of the iPhone in S. Korea?
  • Reply 42 of 138
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Regret is such a useless emotion.

But I do hope you're not going to say the same thing some day about $243......

I presume thats some reference to me. I'm very pleased with the way I played this last week. Could not have been better.
  • Reply 43 of 138
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Revenue up 200% in China this year. Opening 2 stores in Shanghai this summer, 25 total by end of calendar year 2011.

So they're really moving in China in a big way. This is good.
  • Reply 44 of 138
    Quote:

Revenue up 200% in China this year. Opening 2 stores in Shanghai this summer, 25 total by end of calendar year 2011.

So they're really moving in China in a big way. This is good.

And despite the increased number of stores they are still increasing their revenue per store and likely their revenue per square foot.
  • Reply 45 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) Did they mention South Korea?

2) Did you see the article (not AI article) from a couple weeks ago about the success of the iPhone in S. Korea?

They didn't break Korea out from 'Asia". Though Japan is broken out from that.

I did see the article. Did you see the recent one that shows that sales of the iPhone are responsible for lowering the average 3G speeds by 24% in Korea because the company that carries it is the slowest, and with so many iPhones sold, the entire average was brought down.
  • Reply 46 of 138
    @TV still a 'hobby'. \ ("Although 34% more units sold, volumes are still low. We continue to invest in it").
  • Reply 47 of 138
    ATv sales up 34% YOY, but still a hobby because entire market for those type of products is still too small.
  • Reply 48 of 138
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:

What is interesting to hear is how these guys (Cook and Oppenheimer) speak dozens of sentences to basically say 'NO,' or 'NO COMMENT.'

Good thing it's not SJ on the call......

An opus of opacity.
  • Reply 49 of 138
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Several !!!!111111!!!

Well to be fair... When is a product that Apple not touted as anything but extraordinary?
  • Reply 50 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Well to be fair... When is a product that Apple not touted as anything but extraordinary?

And when is a new product from Apple not?
  • Reply 51 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

I presume thats some reference to me. I'm very pleased with the way I played this last week. Could not have been better.

Um... no, but I am quite happy for you!
  • Reply 52 of 138
    Quote:

They didn't break Korea out from 'Asia". Though Japan is broken out from that.

I did see the article. Did you see the recent one that shows that sales of the iPhone are responsible for lowering the average 3G speeds by 24% in Korea because the company that carries it is the slowest, and with so many iPhones sold, the entire average was brought down.

Yeah. So much for Korea and Japan having such advanced phones that no Western device would ever sell. How long was that rumor perpetuated?
  • Reply 53 of 138
    Quote:

Yeah. So much for Korea and Japan having such advanced phones that no Western device would ever sell. How long was that rumor perpetuated?

Exactly. It's really funny how that canard has totally disappeared.
  • Reply 54 of 138
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:

It seems sound to me.

I found very little of it be sound, starting with the premise, which to quote him (three separate times) is "handing back the cash." If Apple "handed back the cash," we'd be talking about something like $40 a share. This is at least a slightly dishonest argument since nobody is suggesting anything of the kind. He killed that straw man dead. Too bad since it was never alive to start with.

His second less than honest supposition is that "the market is already penciling in a high rate of return on the cash pile." Where is the proof of that? Forget proof, where is the evidence? Forget the evidence, where is the logic?
  • Reply 55 of 138
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Quote:

Um... no, but I am quite happy for you!

Ah no worries, thought you were referring to a separate thread where I was dithering whether to buy back in at $243 or not.

Thankfully I did!
  • Reply 56 of 138
    Quote:

Until the first day the phone went on sale.
  • Reply 57 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I found very little of it be sound, starting with the premise, which to quote him (three separate times) is "handing back the cash." If Apple "handed back the cash," we'd be talking about something like $40 a share. This is at least a slightly dishonest argument since nobody is suggesting anything of the kind. He killed that straw man dead. Too bad since it was never alive to start with.

His second less than honest supposition is that "the market is already penciling in a high rate of return on the cash pile." Where is the proof of that? Forget proof, where is the evidence? Forget the evidence, where is the logic?

MS gave back $33 billion because of demand, and the stock went down. That would happen here as well. I agree with that.

I agree with what he says about the cash pile as the reason for it. The cash is too great for it not to be factored into the stock price.
  • Reply 58 of 138
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,213member
    Me too - and I got in with my base at $18.00/share. I wish I had continued to invest all my 401K that went away. Oh well can't complain about the current price.
  • Reply 59 of 138
    Quote:

MS gave back $33 billion because of demand, and the stock went down. That would happen here as well. I agree with that.

I agree with what he says about the cash pile as the reason for it. The cash is too great for it not to be factored into the stock price.

True. At some point, given the amount to which it is piling up, they will have to do something with it.

At this stage, my (wild) guess is that a one-time, massive share repurchase would probably be their safest option. A lot of institutions might sell a small proportion to raise cash, it will not set the precedence of a dividend, and the repurchased stock could be left as treasury stock for future future option exercises so as to prevent dilution.
  • Reply 60 of 138
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Gee - there was the pippin...