Programmer ports Google Android to first-gen Apple iPhone

Comments

• Reply 21 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zindako View Post

Android is ugly and clunky, I used a phone from a friend running it, its quite horrid compared to iPhone OS.

opinions may vary. sense ui is slick.
  • Reply 22 of 69
    I would love to port this to my 2G and will do so if/when it is released. For you anti Google/Android trolls--grow up, get real, and stop being so narrow minded. Objectivity, heard of it?
  • Reply 23 of 69
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FormerARSgm View Post

Is this a 'prove it can be done' thing? I don't see why anyone would want to run Android versus the native iPhone app (especially with 4.0 coming soon). I've said it before - doesn't Google know enough about us already - let alone everything we do on our cell phones. meh.

iPhone OS 4.0 doesn't run on the original iPhone last time I checked. This was done on an original iPhone.
  • Reply 24 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

I would love to port this to my 2G and will do so if/when it is released. For you anti Google/Android trolls--grow up, get real, and stop being so narrow minded. Objectivity, heard of it?

True. I wasn't trying to bash the android. Just asking why somebody would want to do this. But I had to make a comment on the android OS compared to the iPhone OS in terms of its looks. I think its an important part of the OS experience. I guess it may be subjective, but my comment was the android is not as nice as the iPhone. I was not bashing the android, just pointing it out.
  • Reply 25 of 69
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Why you ask?

For the exact same reason people climb Mr. Everest, circumnavigate the earth in a hot-air ballon, eat copious amounts of live goldfish, Shave pets, Invent Cat Washing Vending Machines, swim the hudson river (Blech!) or any other 'random acts' that server no valid purpose.
  • Reply 26 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

this will sell more iphones

Well I don't think it will sell any additional 'new' iPhones but I do believe this will certainly preserve the 'used iPhone market' on ebay for some time to come... Just like 'monkey see monkey do' the same holds true for hackers and geeks.
  • Reply 27 of 69
    vrkiranvrkiran Posts: 110member
    It's an achievement no different from climbing mount everest. Why do people do it? Reasons vary, but world bows at them, if not now, some day!
  • Reply 28 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffreytgilbert View Post

this "idiot" did something you couldn't do in a million years.

Yea maybe so... but just because someone CAN do something doesn't mean they SHOULD do something...

Without further adieu, I submit to you the best graphical analogy of loading Android on an iPhone.

Sure okay maybe I can do it, and maybe I can't but the more pressing question is... Why on earth would I want to?

-

• Reply 29 of 69
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Yea maybe so... but just because someone CAN do something doesn't mean they SHOULD do something...

Without further adieu, I submit to you the best graphical analogy of loading Android on an iPhone.

-

Well done.
  • Reply 30 of 69
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:

Android is ugly and clunky, I used a phone from a friend running it, its quite horrid compared to iPhone OS.

But, it's 100% buzzword compliant!
  • Reply 31 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Off topic, but I don't understand why jailbroken iPhone OS hasn't been put on other HW, especially on Chinese clones which could use a better OS than the buggy WinMo with an iPhone-like veneer.

Why? If I were designing a cheap Chinese knockoff phone, I'd just put Android on it. It's free, open source and good. No need to hack something together.
  • Reply 32 of 69
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oxygenhose View Post

Shouldn't the headline be "News Flash: Programmer wastes his time!". But yes I guess the option to do something so completely useless is a benefit to us all...

I prefer to think the editorial process of deciding when not to do something, is a greater benefit than loading up the tech world with the equivalent of useless gas station counter trinkets. Clearly his nerding powers are weak. If you're going to do something kinda quirky and silly, this idiot is competing with the people who modded a car to be controlled by the iPhone. Might as well shove his phone up his butt and call it a prostate device.

So, because you are feel he is an idiot for 'wasting' his time, he shouldn't have done it? Someone should alert Apple to check with you, the next time they are experimenting in the skunkworks to check with you. We wouldn't want those idiots wasting their time trying to push boundaries and do what hasn't been done, since it might displease you.

Whoever told you that something has to be worthwhile to you in order for it to be worthwhile to others? That seems to be a very vain, limited view of the world.

Quote:

Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can’t do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.

Think different.
  • Reply 33 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oxygenhose View Post

Shouldn't the headline be "News Flash: Programmer wastes his time!". But yes I guess the option to do something so completely useless is a benefit to us all...

I prefer to think the editorial process of deciding when not to do something, is a greater benefit than loading up the tech world with the equivalent of useless gas station counter trinkets. Clearly his nerding powers are weak. If you're going to do something kinda quirky and silly, this idiot is competing with the people who modded a car to be controlled by the iPhone. Might as well shove his phone up his butt and call it a prostate device.

We can forgive a man for making a useful thing as long as he does not admire it. The only excuse for making a useless thing is that one admires it intensely. All art is quite useless. Oscar Wilde
  • Reply 34 of 69
    <troll>

I love it how you guys are all knocking Android, yet everything that is being updated for iPhone OS 4.0, Android users have been using for a long time. 4.0 is catching up, not setting the bar. Excuse me while I use my free navigation to find my destination while browsing on my 3rd party browser and listening to Pandora, at the same time.

</troll>
  • Reply 35 of 69
    caljomaccaljomac Posts: 122member
    Well.....I want a public release with a dual boot of course
  • Reply 36 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by heyyouguys View Post

... Excuse me while I use my free navigation to find my destination while browsing on my 3rd party browser and listening to Pandora, at the same time.

Excuse me ... what road are you on? Just checking before I go out to run an errand.
  • Reply 37 of 69
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CurtisEMayle View Post

Excuse me ... what road are you on? Just checking before I go out to run an errand.

Pretty sure he is no longer on a road. Should be all clear, just watch for debris.
  • Reply 38 of 69
    kalkapkalkap Posts: 18member
    Quote:

Yeah I would say opion varies as I think the Android OS is neck and neck with the iPhone OS and quite honestly the HTC Sense UI is quite a bit better than the iPhones
  • Reply 39 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

iPhone OS 4.0 doesn't run on the original iPhone last time I checked. This was done on an original iPhone.

Pretty sure it was done on a 3G, which does take OS 4.0 albeit without multitasking.

One interesting thing is that people could (eventually), do software comparisons between iPhone OS and Android on the same hardware.
  • Reply 40 of 69
    1. The automobile engine analogy isn't really valid. We are talking about handheld computers that can make phone calls. An engine in a car is comparable to the CPU in a computer, not the OS. And we already know the CPU's are almost identical. The closest comparison I would guess is the dashboard and other controls of the car.

2. After watching the video, I was impressed with the guy who set this up. He obviously knows his stuff yet is pretty humble about it.

3. Some people will want to do this for the same reasons that they install Linux on desktop PC's...so they can either experiment and learn new things or get greater freedom to do things they want to do. Apple has decided that you don't need to tether, that you don't need a carrier other than AT&T, that you don't even need to change your stupid fricking background picture (something they are finally adding in OS 4.0). Apple also makes announcements like "We are adding folders!!!" and it sounds revolutionary, but it's something that's been a basic feature of operating systems for at least 30 years.

Anything that pushes Apple to improve is a good thing, which leads me to my last point which is...

4. God Android sure copied a lot from the iPhone OS.