Programmer ports Google Android to first-gen Apple iPhone

Comments

• Reply 41 of 69
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    I would have been amazed if iPhone OS was running on Nexus One or something. At least that would be useful.
  • Reply 42 of 69
    steviestevie Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffreytgilbert View Post

extremely unlikely since all the new iphones will be locked down like communist russia

Why do you say that the new iPhones will be more locked down?
  • Reply 43 of 69
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Goldenclaw View Post

1. The automobile engine analogy isn't really valid. We are talking about handheld computers that can make phone calls. An engine in a car is comparable to the CPU in a computer, not the OS. And we already know the CPU's are almost identical. The closest comparison I would guess is the dashboard and other controls of the car.

The car analogy wasn't intended to hold up to great scrutiny!
  • Reply 44 of 69
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member
    From officially unsupported on iPhone OS 4.0 to unofficially supported by Android?
  • Reply 45 of 69
    frdsllsfrdslls Posts: 23member
    This nerdy teen should rather work on getting laid. That thing won't be of any help.
  • Reply 46 of 69
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Yea maybe so... but just because someone CAN do something doesn't mean they SHOULD do something...

Without further adieu, I submit to you the best graphical analogy of loading Android on an iPhone.

Sure okay maybe I can do it, and maybe I can't but the more pressing question is... Why on earth would I want to?

-

Awww gimme a break! I don't know how this driver compares to Android, but iPhone surely looks better than this car???
  • Reply 47 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FrdSllS View Post

This nerdy teen should rather work on getting laid. That thing won't be of any help.

I like the fact that he is clearly Canadian. Check out how many times he apologises during the video.
  • Reply 48 of 69
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Pretty sure it was done on a 3G, which does take OS 4.0 albeit without multitasking.

One interesting thing is that people could (eventually), do software comparisons between iPhone OS and Android on the same hardware.

Did you even read the AI article?

Quote:

While the hack was demonstrated on a first-generation iPhone, Wong said porting to the iPhone 3G would be "pretty simple." An iPhone 3GS compatible version, he said, would be more difficult.

Hell, even the title of the article says:

Quote:

Programmer ports Google Android to first-gen Apple iPhone

• Reply 49 of 69
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Did you even read the AI article?

Hell, even the title of the article says:

The dev in the video clearly says "this is an iPhone 3G" (11 second in)

AI is wrong.
  • Reply 50 of 69
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Hey, this is what hackers do. Hire this kid.
  • Reply 51 of 69
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

The dev in the video clearly says "this is an iPhone 3G" (11 second in)

AI is wrong.

Uhh, he says iPhone 2G. You can even see the black plastic part towards the bottom of the phone when he tilts it.
  • Reply 52 of 69
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Uhh, he says iPhone 2G. You can even see the black plastic part towards the bottom of the phone when he tilts it.

OK. You are right.

Hand me the screwdriver.
  • Reply 53 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffreytgilbert View Post

because apple has abandoned old iphones even though they could be used for a myriad of things including workable cellphones with all the features of the latest greatest iphones minus the hardware bonuses for medium res photography and such.

And as a developer, this will allow me to use that old iPhone as an Android device for testing purposes!
  • Reply 54 of 69
    Why the hell would you want to do that?? Okay, there may be one or another reason, but it just feels like installing Windows on a Mac.

Now, the real challenge would be for him to install the iPhone OS on an originally Android phone...
  • Reply 55 of 69
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Can someone port iPhone to Verizon instead?

Is nice that you can run android on an iPhone. Is it 2.1? Also why not get a phone that is specifically designed for the OS (with enough buttons) instead of an iPhone. It's a good proof of concept but I doubt a lot of jailbreakers will want to switch.
  • Reply 56 of 69
    mav5mav5 Posts: 36member
    Finally! Soon we may even be able to run Vista on the iPhone!!
  • Reply 57 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple/// View Post

True. I wasn't trying to bash the android. Just asking why somebody would want to do this. But I had to make a comment on the android OS compared to the iPhone OS in terms of its looks. I think its an important part of the OS experience. I guess it may be subjective, but my comment was the android is not as nice as the iPhone. I was not bashing the android, just pointing it out.

It is my impression (possibly wrong) that everyone except Apple takes the Windows look as standard. This includes android, Google's web apps, other cell phones... I find them ugly, but that is me. I like the android mascot, though.
  • Reply 58 of 69
    talksense101talksense101 Posts: 1,738member
    The most retarted thing to do ever. I use an android phone and I still envy a iPhone.
  • Reply 59 of 69
    emulatoremulator Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

I would love to port this to my 2G and will do so if/when it is released. For you anti Google/Android trolls--grow up, get real, and stop being so narrow minded. Objectivity, heard of it?

Asking for common sense and objectivity on an apple fan board is overkill.
  • Reply 60 of 69
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Isn't that Sacrilege?

Yes, it's the Jesus phone.