Google may bring free turn-by-turn navigation to Apple iPhone [u]

Comments

• Reply 41 of 95
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    I don't need a turn by turn navigation app. The standard GPS does fine on my phone and I know how to read a keymap or plain ol' map in case my phone can't cut it.
  • Reply 42 of 95
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

The issues between Apple and Google over Voice and Latitude really stick in my craw. Wherever that is.

Is that anything like a taint?
  • Reply 43 of 95
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    They really should have shot that video during twilight or nighttime hours. The day time shots really show how bad the AMOLED display is in daylight. I hope Apple uses LCD for the next iPhone.
  • Reply 44 of 95
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mlbusler View Post

What about the app for Ipad. Much easier to see then Iphone. Not sure if this is a good question, be kind

If you are willing to pay for the 3G version with the $130 extra cost plus the AT&T fee for 3G connection ($15/$30). The good news is that you can get the AT&T fee for 3G connection only a monthly basis, and cancel anytime.

CGC
  • Reply 45 of 95
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

I would have liked to see this built into the current Maps application but I don't see Apple going out of their way to do this.

If I read correctly from prior reports, the default Maps is that by Google. So, it is up to Google to revise this, assuming it will remain the default Maps.

As I noted in my first response here, Apple bought a company that is a competitor to Google Maps. supposedly it is more "intelligent" kind of mapping.

I am sure Apple is trying to take its time to develop its own Maps App, and creating something better than Google Maps, if it could, before it would introduce it, and possibly even replace the Google, as default.

CGC
  • Reply 46 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cgc0202 View Post

If you are willing to pay for the 3G version with the $130 extra cost plus the AT&T fee for 3G connection ($15/$30). The good news is that you can get the AT&T fee for 3G connection only a monthly basis, and cancel anytime.

CGC

I think that is how most people will use it. You go on vacation a few times a year and use it then, otherwise just keep it on WiFI.

Looking at my 3G usage rates i'll just get the 250MB for $15 as I'll likely not use more than that. If I do need more, I'll pay another $15. Using more than 500MB in a month seems highly unlikely.
  • Reply 47 of 95
    vulcan1vulcan1 Posts: 56member
    Now that Nokia's shares are dropping like a stone, Apple with all their cash can buy them up and get Navteq too, if Google starts pee-ing them off!!
  • Reply 48 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vulcan1 View Post

Now that Nokia's shares are dropping like a stone, Apple with all their cash can buy them up and get Navteq too, if Google starts pee-ing them off!!

NOK has been down this week, but they were on the rise and I've made a fair amount of cash off of them recently. Whatever happens with NOK they have plenty of time, resources and experience to turn themselves around.

PS: Another $27/share and AAPL will match MSFT's current market cap.
  • Reply 49 of 95
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stompy View Post

I haven't seen anyone mention it in this thread yet, but MapQuest has a free app with turn by turn and voice. It works pretty well. The voice is definitely not as smooth as a dedicated device, but it's an improvement over the built in maps app.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mapqu...316126557?mt=8

Edit: Article claims "A number of GPS navigation applications already exist on the App Store, though they are not free." Either writer isn't aware of the MapQuest app, or

Thanks for that. I wasn't aware that there were any voice nav apps for free already out there. I'll check this one out
  • Reply 50 of 95
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zendolphyn View Post

I see this as a another step for Google toward location-based advertising. Why should they care about having a paid app when a huge amount of revenue comes from ads- I'm sure they want get their claws deep into this new advertising realm.

Alert: Tasty burgers one mile ahead at McDonald's.
  • Reply 51 of 95
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

It would be interesting to see how this application will develop. And whether Google would make the App comply with the terms of agreement set by Apple.

You're kidding right?

How can you be compliance with something that is never made clear?

- Google Latitude free locator APP rejected .. Duplicated iPhones built in functionality!! REJECTED!

- AT&T $15,00 PER MONTH FamilyMaps .. __APPROVED__ (this was released WELL AFTER Google Latitude was given the AXE)

- Google Voice !!BAD!! Duplicates iPhones built in functionality!! REJECTED!

- Opera Web Browser ... __APPROVED__

- Political Cartoons !!BAD!! Repulsive, REJECTED!

- Exact same political cartoons right after the artist is awarded a Pulitzer Prize __APPROVED__

Quote:

Apple called the cartoonist Thursday and suggested that he resubmit the app, Mr. Fiore said in an interview. “I feel kind of guilty,” he said. “I’m getting preferential treatment because I got the Pulitzer.”

Sickening!

Now, if you wanna try justify these clearly conflicting APP Store admission results I'd love to hear them.
  • Reply 52 of 95
    steviestevie Posts: 956member
    Quote:

I am sure Apple is trying to take its time to develop its own Maps App, and creating something better than Google Maps, if it could, before it would introduce it, and possibly even replace the Google, as default.

CGC

And meanwhile ...
  • Reply 53 of 95
    steviestevie Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

PS: Another $22/share and AAPL will match MSFT's current market cap.

Is there a contest going on? What happens if Apple takes the lead?
  • Reply 54 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

Competition in a capitalist society?!?!! No... not at all...

Oh wait, perhaps the contest ceases to exist once Apple is no longer in last place?
  • Reply 55 of 95
    Quote:

In business, everything is a contest and that is a significant achievement for a company that was deemed on its last leg a decade ago.

In this case it'll be a milestone for several reasons. Besting MS is the one that will make the biggest headlines, but the most important is Apple being the most valuable tech company in the world.

Note, it's still only one of many markers. MS will still make more revenue per year and while Apple even has that in its sights MS is still far, far ahead in terms of profit simply by virtue of the nature of HW v. SW mark-up.

edit: DaveGee beat me to it.
  • Reply 56 of 95
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

That is for AT&T's app service. This is Google's app, which is of course free (no service cost).

As far as I understand it you need a data plan.

http://forums.t-mobile.com/t5/Nexus-...highlight/true
  • Reply 57 of 95
    Quote:

edit: DaveGee beat me to it.

Perhaps but you detailed it much more eloquently.

And I don't know about the rest of the readers but I don't give a CRAP about market-cap.... Wake ME up when STEVE on on a mammoth video projected screen with a tiny Bill Gates gushing over Apples generosity. ESPECIALLY when (just like Steve/Apple) MS doesn't actually need any 'cash infusion' in as much as they need the word to see APPLE is showing support to MS.

Then the game will have TRULY been won!

Apologies if this post sounded overly bitter but I can't help it... Sicilian blood can't just be replaced.
  • Reply 58 of 95
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,817member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stompy View Post

I haven't seen anyone mention it in this thread yet, but MapQuest has a free app with turn by turn and voice. It works pretty well. The voice is definitely not as smooth as a dedicated device, but it's an improvement over the built in maps app.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mapqu...316126557?mt=8

Edit: Article claims "A number of GPS navigation applications already exist on the App Store, though they are not free." Either writer isn't aware of the MapQuest app, or

Thanks for tip. I had missed this app. Just tried it and it seems pretty amazing for free. However, unless I am missing something, instead of saying 'turn left on XYZ street 'it says turn 'North'. I can't see any options to change compass directions to street names. If you have used this app, any info that would help?
  • Reply 59 of 95
    Quote:

Of course not Apple and Microsoft have been partners for the last 30+ years
  • Reply 60 of 95
    Quote:

PS: Another $22/share and AAPL will match MSFT's current market cap.

For those of us who have been involved with both companies since the 1970's that will be a truly historic day for sure. My guess is that could be achieved this year maybe a few months after WWDC. What's your best guess?

For those saying it doesn't matter perhaps you are correct perhaps you are not. For many of us it is akin to supporting a sports team and seeing yours doing well again after many years. It also means a lot of money for those of us who risked a lot on AAPL out of faith a long time ago. So no need to make this a Sicilian rage moment