Apple's Steve Jobs racks up $127K in travel expenses in Q1 2010

Comments

• Reply 21 of 64
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

You are right. And until it is removed I leave mine unedited. When it is, I will gladly remove my comment as well.

Unfortunately, we cannot call him an idiot.

I'm not removing the comment, and you better re-examine who you want to call an idiot, especially when it's YOU who misinterpreted the comment.

Again, get over it.
  • Reply 22 of 64
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Steve Jobs is the reason Apple is doing so well.

Jobs is the reason Apple was able to turn itself around but to suggest that Apple is held up by a single person and that it would fail without him is shortsighted. There are many brilliant people at Apple and most ideas are not coming from Apple. During Jobs' 6 month hiatus last year the company did well on all counts, even their stock went up while many predicted Jobs would not be returning after the operation. Apple has momentum that transcends Jobs. Without him the company will continue to succeed. It's possible that the focus and, as a result, the momentum could slow, but there is no evidence of that so far, yet there is plenty of evidence that Jobs has built up Apple well to succeed long after he is gone, which is the truest sign of good leader.
  • Reply 23 of 64
    Why is this news. Steve is doing what he needs to do. To the bonehead who made the idiotic statement: Stupid is as stupid does!
  • Reply 24 of 64
    abrooksabrooks Posts: 66member
    Wouldn't this be Q2 2010? As in Apple's second fiscal quarter, but the first calendar quarter. Nitpicking I know.
  • Reply 25 of 64
    htoellehtoelle Posts: 89member
    Cheap at the price. Go for it. 89% certainly deserves it.

Is it possible that other corporate leaders might learn how to handle executive perks wisely, from Mr. Jobs. Perhaps even Mr. Gates could do something he does so well " copy Mr Jobs ".

HT
  • Reply 26 of 64
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    That's better than $127,000 in medical expenses.
  • Reply 27 of 64
    cu10cu10 Posts: 294member
    That's life in the billionaire club.
  • Reply 28 of 64
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Where is the context?

Okay so there is a little bit of prior numbers for Jobs alone - but how does that compare to the tech industry average, to CEOs on average, to private Jets on average?

Its like baseball statistics that get quoted during a game by the announcers - this batter has an average of 0.112 against left handed pitchers on away games in the post season on artificial turf. Utterly meaningless without some kind of context. Is that better or worse than his overall average? is that better or worse than the team average or the league average?
  • Reply 29 of 64
    jetlawjetlaw Posts: 156member
    I am the Director of Flight Safety for a company that operates private jets (Gulfstream IVs). By my calculations, $127,000 is less than 25 hours of flight time. To put this another way, this is about three round-trip coast-to-coast domestic flights over a four month period. Not much!
  • Reply 30 of 64
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

When you consider how much it costs to keep a Gulfstream flying, that's not very much.

I was trying to figure out what that cost is.

http://www.jetsearch.com/attachments/CdD/g-v%20ccd.pdf

About $4700 an hour to operate, $11 per nautical mile. Which varies a lot because fuel is by far the biggest expense.

"The GV is powered by two Rolls-Royce BR710 turbofan engines and is able to travel non-stop for 6,500 nautical miles with speeds up to Mach 0.885."

Nifty.
  • Reply 31 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

About $4700 an hour to operate, $11 per nautical mile. Which varies a lot because fuel is by far the biggest expense.

$127,000 ÷ $4,700 = 27 hours of flight

$127,000 ÷ $11 = 11,545 nautical miles.
    Not that much for 3 months.
  • Reply 32 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johno973 View Post

... To the bonehead who made the idiotic statement: Stupid is as stupid does!

Ironically, you are making reference to "Forest Gump," but the statement is the exact kind of blunt honest obvious statement that the Forest character would be likely to make.

Speaking as someone who is continually taken the wrong way on this forum themselves .... blunt and honest are not the same things as "mean" and "insensitive." Sometimes the mean-ness is in the eye of the beholder sort of speak.
  • Reply 33 of 64
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Jobs is the reason Apple was able to turn itself around but to suggest that Apple is held up by a single person and that it would fail without him is shortsighted. There are many brilliant people at Apple and most ideas are not coming from Apple. During Jobs' 6 month hiatus last year the company did well on all counts, even their stock went up while many predicted Jobs would not be returning after the operation. Apple has momentum that transcends Jobs. Without him the company will continue to succeed. It's possible that the focus and, as a result, the momentum could slow, but there is no evidence of that so far, yet there is plenty of evidence that Jobs has built up Apple well to succeed long after he is gone, which is the truest sign of good leader.

We'll see lol

Quote:
    Originally Posted by johno973 View Post

Why is this news. Steve is doing what he needs to do. To the bonehead who made the idiotic statement: Stupid is as stupid does!

YEAH, IT WAS AN IDIOTIC STATEMENT! WHAT A BONEHEAD! I'M SURE GLAD I'M NOT THAT MORON, UH HYUCK
  • Reply 34 of 64
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Can we please get away from discussing the comment about an air crash death? I think we all have better things to do than get angry about it or blow it out of proportion.
  • Reply 35 of 64
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    I still remember when the Apple BOD gave/gifted the G5 to Steve as a year end / new years bonus. Wow ten years... thats amazing. /feel-so-old
  • Reply 36 of 64
    msimpsonmsimpson Posts: 452member
    His wardrobe and dry cleaning bills...

• Reply 37 of 64
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post
    $127,000 ÷ $4,700 = 27 hours of flight

$127,000 ÷ $11 = 11,545 nautical miles.
    Not that much for 3 months.

I mean this in the kindest way: Threads like this are why normal people make fun of those of us who post on sites like AI.

I tend to agree with Dr. Millmoss. Doesn't sound like a lot of travel to me.

OT: Do you think the jet runs an Apple TV for a media server or a Mini? iPhone docks in the arm rests? 30-pin connector cables drop from above instead of oxygen masks?
  • Reply 38 of 64
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I was trying to figure out what that cost is.

http://www.jetsearch.com/attachments/CdD/g-v%20ccd.pdf

About $4700 an hour to operate, $11 per nautical mile. Which varies a lot because fuel is by far the biggest expense..

For a Gulfstream that sits all the time, ownership costs are the most expensive cost item. The fuel costs a small amount compared to the millions in ownership depreciation of a new G-V. But, of course that would not be properly accounted for in the books, because it's inconvenient and makes people sad.
  • Reply 39 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

I mean this in the kindest way: Threads like this are why normal people make fun of those of us who post on sites like AI.

I tend to agree with Dr. Millmoss. Doesn't sound like a lot of travel to me.

What about my post is laughable?
  • Reply 40 of 64
    jetlawjetlaw Posts: 156member
    Before I went into management for the Gulfstream operator and went to law school, I flew the line for about 5,000 hrs. Worth of flight time.

While the price tag for private jet travel seems very high when compared directly to the airlines, the time savings are tremendous. For people that have very high-value time, there are many instances where they can't afford NOT to take a private jet instead of the airlines.