Google cancels Verizon Nexus One, BlackBerry 6 coming Q3 2010

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 59
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Seems to me someone is telling a slightly different story.

Bloomberg News is reporting the following: (click the Bloomberg News link for full text of story)

Quote:

Verizon Retreats From Plan to Offer Nexus One Service

By Amy Thomson

April 26 (Bloomberg) -- Verizon Wireless, the largest U.S. mobile-phone company, retreated from plans to offer service for Google Inc.’s Nexus One phone, saying it will focus on other Android-powered handsets instead.

Until this morning, Google’s Web site showed that the Nexus One would be available through Verizon in spring of 2010. The site now points Verizon users seeking phones that run Google’s Android operating system to HTC Corp.’s Incredible model.

Without a Verizon partnership, Google loses access to the carrier’s more than 90 million customers, potentially blocking the phone from gaining more widespread popularity and hurting its competition with Apple Inc.’s iPhone. The breakdown of the deal signals Verizon may view Google as a competitor rather than a partner when it comes to Nexus One sales, said analyst Colin Gillis at BGC Partners LP in New York.

..SNIP..

“It’s strictly been this Verizon relationship that’s allowed them (Google) to get a market-share footprint in the U.S.,” said Dailey, whose fund manages $145 million, including shares of AT&T and Verizon. If the iPhone “comes out on the Verizon platform, I wouldn’t be thrilled about Google’s future, at least in the short-to-intermediate term.

(bolding, underling and coloring as well as indicating (Google) in that last paragraph was done by me for clarity and emphasis.
  • Reply 42 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Seems to me someone is telling a slightly different story.

Bloomberg News is reporting the following: (click the Bloomberg News link for full text of story)

One wonders (that has a nice ring to it) where the next feature release of the Android OS is-- any specs? ...any earth tremors? ...or, are they losing interest...

• Reply 43 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

One wonders (that has a nice ring to it) where the next feature release of the Android OS is-- any specs? ...any earth tremors? ...or, are they losing interest...

That's one quality that people forget Google is famous for.... Loosing interest. Something (a project or whatever) gets lots of short term attention and then ... the Google Express Train for that project starts to cough and sputter. Lots and lots of 'half done projects' and when you are making the kind of money Google is making it can easily bounce from projects to project without as much as a days notice.

Now I'm not saying this is what Google is doing with their phone initiative... BUT going into business with Google is like making horse race bets with a BILLIONAIRE... You get all excited and bet the same horses as he does.. He puts 250k on his picks, you put 20k on the same picks..

Race ends. every horse was a looser... the BILLIONAIRE smiles, throws away his betting slips and gets into his stretch limo without a care in the world! You however just lost everything you owned.

Moral of the story? You can party all you want with a BILLIONAIRE but whatever you do don't gamble with em!
  • Reply 44 of 59
    bartfatbartfat Posts: 434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post

Not really. The Nexus One would not be the flagship on Verizon, because of the Incredible. Because of Android innovation, the Nexus One lost its slot.

No spin.

And someone's trying to defend a indefensible spin. If innovation was that great, they'd have 2 phones. But as you see, they don't.
  • Reply 45 of 59
    os2babaos2baba Posts: 262member
    There are only two reasons to buy a Nexus One in the US

1. Buy it, because it's unlocked at full price and save money in the long term with lower monthly payments and no contract lock in. The only vendor that gives you a lower price is T-Mobile. So if you are on Sprint, AT&T or Verizon, it makes no sense to pay full price for a no-contract phone.

2. Since it's a full Google Experience phone, it will get the latest OS updates fastest. All the other phones are dependent on the phone vendor and telecom vendor for providing an update (of course it's easy to get a custom ROM, but only a small minority of users will likely do that).

The HTC Incredible, the EVO, the Desire and the Legend are all better phones than the Nexus One (and of course even further along than the 3GS). So if you are going to buy a contract phone at a subsidized price, you are better off with one of these, unless #2 is important for you.

For a Nexus phone to be more viable, it truly needs to be a world phone or at least a USA phone where you can switch between all 4 telecom vendors with 3G/4G built-in. And that may make it too expensive. But if I were to get a Nexus Two where I could switch between any provider with no contract, then I'd pay upto a $100 more for that. Oh, and of course it would need to have a keyboard.
  • Reply 46 of 59
    clexmanclexman Posts: 209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You have to wonder if a worldmode phone is so great then why aren't all phones made like this. Is it cost? Is it the size of the radio components? The power usage? it's something because these aren't common elements for cellphones, even among CDMA carriers who are losing ground to GSM carriers.

I think it is that the carriers just want more control over their phones. The Sprint BB Tour is odd because it comes with the SIM unlocked and includes US 2G GSM bands. I keep the GSM option turned off unless I'm outside of the country. Battery life is not that great either.

I'd love a "Universal" Superphone that would work on any network and even satellite (optional antenna attachment maybe?). One can dream I guess...
  • Reply 47 of 59
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    What happened to buy a phone and chose a network? I was actually kinda hoping google could pull off transitioning US to an unlocked phone world EU already enjoys, but I guess we are still stuck with choosing a carrier in order to use a certain device. In Palm Pre's case you have to change carrier to upgrade your phone, which is ridiculous.
  • Reply 48 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by clexman View Post

Nexus One may be out for Verizon, but its still "coming soon" for Sprint. CDMA is not dead yet. More people in this country use CDMA than GSM.

http://newsreleases.sprint.com/phoen...3426&highlight

Parochial. From designing and building handsets to network design and manufacture, the US has abdicated any leadership role in communications. CDMA is the last vestige of an obsolete technology and a short-sighted attitude of marketing overpriced crap to gullible consumers.
  • Reply 49 of 59
    Quote:

I think it is that the carriers just want more control over their phones. The Sprint BB Tour is odd because it comes with the SIM unlocked and includes US 2G GSM bands. I keep the GSM option turned off unless I'm outside of the country. Battery life is not that great either.

I'd love a "Universal" Superphone that would work on any network and even satellite (optional antenna attachment maybe?). One can dream I guess...

Hmmm and I suppose GPS too and maybe a front and back facing camera?

Lets see...

- Just under a half a dozen different antennas

- Maybe 4 or 5 different radio support chips

- GPS

- Bluetooth

- HD Screen maybe?

Announcing the ALL NEW EVERYTHING iPhone!

* Battery Life: 1.5 hours provided user dims the screen!
  • Reply 50 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Well... now even Google thinks it's not worth the time, effort, and investment of getting a Nexus phone outfitted and working on a network that no one outside of the U.S. uses. I wonder what the critics will say now about this?

Verizon needs to get a serious clue here. When everyone in the globe is standardized, Verizon will always be a 2nd-rate phone provider.

"and working on a network that no one outside of the U.S. uses". Right like China, Japan, Korea, India & 50 other countries. That's hardly an case.

Maybe your thinking back to the 70's when the U.N. decided that GSM was a cheaper alternative to CDMA, (also doesn't get as far signal strength, requires more towers). That was their input then as today it's them again making all phone's micro-usb by 2011. Anyhow, If Verizon's a second rate Carrier, Why do they always come up first in call-quality?
  • Reply 51 of 59
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

The next version of Android is v2.2 and is codenamed Froyo.

Google say that they've got the base platform to a good level of maturity now so the main focuses of v2.2 will be applications and combating platform fragmentation.

It doesn't sound like they're losing interest if you keep up with Android news.
  • Reply 52 of 59
    tawilsontawilson Posts: 484member
    Quote:

Nice analogy, except that the number of people watching SD is decreasing and those using CDMA is increasing in the US. GSM has also been around longer than CDMA. That doesn't make it better, its just been around for many years.

True, but the fact you CAN get higher data rates out GSM 3G. than CDMA 3G, you can do voice and data at the same time on GSM, but not CDMA make it better.

GSM caters for 72% of the mobile market, so you can easily see which one manufacturers are going to really concentrate on.
  • Reply 53 of 59
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tawilson View Post

True, but the fact you CAN get higher data rates out GSM 3G. than CDMA 3G, you can do voice and data at the same time on GSM, but not CDMA make it better.

GSM caters for 72% of the mobile market, so you can easily see which one manufacturers are going to really concentrate on.

That's all fine and dandy if you live in those of those large metros that get AT&T 3G. For a lot of us its CMDA 3G vs Edge,
  • Reply 54 of 59
    ajmasajmas Posts: 601member
    There is probably a very good reason that this is being dropped: 4G. Verizon has already indicated that they will be enabling their GSM 4G network this year. If that is indeed the case, then the need to develop a CDMA phone is greatly diminished. The question is now, what time this year is their target date and what frequency are they going to be using.

Edit: Looks like Verizon already has GSM deployment of some form: http://gsmworld.com/roaming/gsminfo/cou_us.shtml
  • Reply 55 of 59
    asianbobasianbob Posts: 797member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by replicant View Post

With Nexus One, Google wanted to establish a base model for the phone manufacturers to use as a de facto design. By the look of things, Google achieved this goal and there is little benefit in spending more resources to support Verizon customers while their partners can take care of it. Google is probably very busy on the

Google "iPad". Verizon or no, Google still wins with every Android phone shipped.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wings View Post

To anyone seriously considering an Incredible, you need to look at this:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/19/d...redible-review

Scroll down to the video they shot with it. Even take a look at the low resolution version. When they pan you can see stuttering, lots of it. So much of it that I would classify its video capability as extremely poor (even though the picture quality was good).

When you pan an iPhone you get video that's smooth as silk.

Now I know that stuttering video is just one thing, but it does show that the computin engine in the box is struggling to record every frame, even in low res. Tells me that it'll be struggling to do other things as well.

The only stuttering I saw was because my company (for whatever reason) still uses IE6. The video progress dot actually stopped moving during those stutters, so I know it's not the because of the video the Incredible shot.

From the video I've seen of HTC reps demoing the Incredible, its movements were "smooth as silk", as you put it. No lag moving in and out of apps and between all 7 screens filled with icons and widgets. Especially with the social networking widgets Sense has running.

http://www.androidspin.com/2010/04/1...le-video-tour/
  • Reply 56 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajmas View Post

There is probably a very good reason that this is being dropped: 4G. Verizon has already indicated that they will be enabling their GSM 4G network this year. If that is indeed the case, then the need to develop a CDMA phone is greatly diminished.

Correct me if I'm wrong but won't Verizon's mixed GSM / CDMA network really mess with their otherwise 'perfect' coverage maps?
  • Reply 57 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

"a cousin of the Nexus One."

The same measily 512MB ROM as the Nexus One.

Yes, Droid does apps... just a few apps.

The droid incredible actually has 8gb of inboard storage, the installer files are limited to 512 but 95% of the app data can be out in the rest of the memory or on a micro sim... Something apple doesnt offer.
  • Reply 58 of 59
    asianbobasianbob Posts: 797member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daniel0418 View Post

The droid incredible actually has 8gb of inboard storage, the installer files are limited to 512 but 95% of the app data can be out in the rest of the memory or on a micro sim... Something apple doesnt offer.

The Droid has half the memory of the Incredible but I have 61 apps installed (not counting native ones). A good fraction of those are memory-heavy games too. For the average user of the Incredible, I don't believe they should come across any issues with the amount of apps they'll install.

With the release of OpenGL support, developers will create larger apps (games mostly) and I'm sure the manufacturers will increase onboard storage to compensate.
  • Reply 59 of 59
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daniel0418 View Post

The droid incredible actually has 8gb of inboard storage, the installer files are limited to 512 but 95% of the app data can be out in the rest of the memory or on a micro sim[sic]... Something apple doesnt offer.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

The Droid has half the memory of the Incredible but I have 61 apps installed (not counting native ones). A good fraction of those are memory-heavy games too. For the average user of the Incredible, I don't believe they should come across any issues with the amount of apps they'll install.

The limitation of the ROM isn't just capacity, but also speed.

MicroSD currently comes in Class 2, 4 or 6. The class number refers to that MB/s max transfer rate and the price scales very fast for higher capacities and faster speeds. If you want to even get any thing comparable to capacity of the iPhone you are stuck with Class 2 at 2MB/s and you can't even come close to getting anything comparable to the iPhone's NAND speed, which AnandTech speculated accounted for some of the reasons why the 3GS still bested the Nexus One despite it having a much faster processor.