California authorities seize computers of Gizmodo editor

Comments

• Reply 41 of 530
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    told ya all this was gonna happen ... on that other thread.

kicking in the door was a bit over the top, tho.

the DA will respond that the issue is simply receiving stolen property, and what chen/giz did with the info about it after they did that - the journalism part - is irrelevant. a separate civil matter. and so there is no journalist shield applicable here.

of course this is legally arguable. maybe the case will go all the way to the supremes. but look at the scooter libby precedent ... even where is was just pure info about a crime and not the stolen hardware itself, the subpoena was upheld. so good luck with that one, giz.

the DA may also just be looking to find the name of the thief. but taking everything chen has - 99+% of which is unrelated to this theft - rather than focus on searching for that one fact, may run afoul of any judge.

we'll have to see how this progresses. but as others have written, the shi*t sure has hit the fan.

welcome to the big leagues, giz.
  • Reply 42 of 530
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tri3 View Post

Wow that was pretty fast. Guess money and good lawyers buys speed in these type of cases. Image this was your phone that got taken. There is no way the police would go after someone like Gizmodo for you.

I am surprised that they didn't perform the search early in the morning when they probably would have been home. Would have saved the tax payers a little money on the damage they did.

Normally a Search Warrant has a specific time that the search may occur. When the judge deems a search warrant appropriate, they will validate the search of a specific place, at a certain time, for certain items. This Search Warrant seemed pretty broad.

A good defense lawyer would have a field day with this.

Can we all stop quarterbacking and being fan boys long enough to see what has been left out?

The state (California) is being gregarious where they really have no need to be. Apple did not report the item stolen, therefore they never reported a crime.

They did their part by asking for the prototype back and they received it back.

It is not uncommon for the state (any state) to pursue charges on their own in the stead of the "victim" but in this case they may actually be shooting both themselves and even Apple in the foot.

If this was a controlled leak (nothing at this points says it was not) then both Apple and the police and the states attorney will have both egg on their face, looking like a nazi police gestapo and eating humble pie.

And when that occurs, and if I was Gizmodo and Chen, I would crank up the big litigation machine and hit them where it hurts the most:

IN THE POCKET AND THE PRESS.

Let's face it, would any of you want to be the Judas for their Jesus Phone?
  • Reply 43 of 530
    IMO, this is big brother going way too far.

1. They are little rich kids because people like everyone on this forum can't wait to look at what they've found out. Paparazzi and Gizmodo are the same and it's people like everyone here that keeps them in business and demands that "they find out and tell".

2. If the Apple engineer is careless enough to lose his prototype at a bar (of all places), then bad is on Apple for giving it to him in the first place. The phrase "don't drink and drive" should be replaced with "don't drink and carry an iPhone prototype".

3. While I don't know the truth, I certainly can believe that someone calling Apple saying they had someone's iPhone either would never get through or have Apple say they're not interested. Apple has publically declined to assist with helping with lost or stolen iPhones since they first came out. Now their policy has come to bite them in the ass.

4. If the iPhone were actually stolen ad Gizmodo bought it, then they are guilty of buying stolen property. If Gizmodo actually believed it was a found iPhone and not stolen, then I can't imagine that they broke any laws. They returned the iPhone to Apple. If they took a good look in the mean time, then more power to them. I'd like to know what's upcoming - and so would everyone here.

Apple was careless and the real bad guys are the California legal system.
  • Reply 44 of 530
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

I can see that the usually zombies are all celebrating but lets look at the broader implications here... Do we really want the COPS or FEDS breaking in the doors of people reporting the news simply because they found a story and reported it?

Perhaps Gizmodo should have turned in the device to the police and then in due time bough the same #*%&*( 'stolen' item LEGALLY (since the cops are the ones doing the selling).

http://www.ehow.com/how_5137713_buy-...s-legally.html

It's reporting the news if Gizmodo reports that someone is trying to sell a potential iPhone prototype. They became the story when they actually go ahead and buy it.
  • Reply 45 of 530
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Awsome! LOL
  • Reply 46 of 530
    min_tmin_t Posts: 74member
    This just in. Across the street from Gizmodo, Engadget staff are seen opening bottles of champagne and lining up chairs in front of their windows. Is this a coincidence?
  • Reply 47 of 530
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Nicely done.
  • Reply 48 of 530
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member

Your point, Captain non-sequitur?
  • Reply 49 of 530
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
  • Reply 50 of 530
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

This is a very important development. For a while I've thought there has been a legal wrangle developing over what constitutes a journalist and whether or not a blogger can realistically claim to be a journalist, with the associated protections that entails.

It'll be interesting to see how this ends up. It has ramifications way beyond a story about Apple.

While journalists may have some form of immunity because of free speech, they are not exempt from the definition of what is considered the boundaries of legal (or illegal) acts -- as defined by statutes.

For example, a journalist may not aid or abet the perpetuation of an illegal act. The legality of course shall be determined if ever a case ever reached the court. Then, there are ways around this without the acceptance of guilt.

CGC
  • Reply 51 of 530
    mofuumofuu Posts: 2member
    for a brief moment, i thought that it was low for gizmodo to put his name out there too, but by doing so, with all the media, i think giz saved his job for the moment (if he's still employed). his name was going to come out at some point sooner or later.

what was low was disassembling the phone to the world and apple's competitors. that did not have to be public.

-T
  • Reply 52 of 530
    halhikerhalhiker Posts: 111member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by robzr View Post

OOOOooooh ain't karma a BITCH!

Karma, huh?

Maybe that's what caused the iPhone to get lost in the first place.

Or maybe that's why Steve Jobs got cancer.

Or why the guy got canned for showing Woz the iPad.

But I doubt it.

More than Karma this is someone in the DA's office and the police department looking to enhance their careers by pursuing a case that is sure to get a lot of national press.

The cops went way over the line here. Was there really any reason to go full Gestapo on this dude's house? Was the public safety really at so much risk that that they couldn't have waited until morning and just knocked on the door? Would they do the same thing if we lost our iPhone?

This story just keeps getting stupider and stupider. From the guy who lost the phone, to the guy who found it, to Gizmodo, to the cops no one has acted with intelligence or integrity. It's a sad tale that tells a lot more about the human condition than just karmic justice.
  • Reply 53 of 530
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    I see things from both sides here.

The burden of proof lies with California to prove that Gizmodo knew the item was stolen and also prove that Gizmodo/Gawker media should not have the same protections and rights that other media companies enjoy.

Much like a police offer can break the speed limit within the course of duty news establishments must be given a little leeway (at times) because their are expected (ethically) to report on a wide dynamic range of news.

For instance if a black book was found containing the mistresses of a prominent Politician by a third party and sold to a media establishment would said Politician have the same recourse? Probably not.

What Gizmodo/Gawker did was borderline unethical but if they are indeed a media organization they be protected under current law.
  • Reply 54 of 530
    Felony crime, felony time ...

After due process, natch.

And no reason you can't blog from behind bars I suppose.
  • Reply 55 of 530
    Good! I'm glad. I think Gizmodo went WAY too far. Really, what did they expect? Half of the posts for the iPhone v4 were their attempt to make themselves look innocent. Why would you need to do that if you were in the first place? Then they kept changing their story in little ways here and there.
  • Reply 56 of 530
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    Heh. Gizmodo has always been the immature, bratty, potty-mouthed little brother of tech sites. They kept on with that act and strutted smugly around about their juvenile exploit of yanking Apple's tail even after other sites and news outlets started talking about serious civil and criminal repercussions. Well, time to grow up Gizmodo. This ain't high school anymore and the grownups are talking about more then just detention.

Schadenfreude is such a guilty pleasure.
  • Reply 57 of 530
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    So the police are allowed to execute a warrant without the owner being present? An honest question.
  • Reply 58 of 530
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

Oh really? Apparently you're unable to put 2 + 2 together and realize how dangerous a precedent this is for our free media. If the rich (Steve Jobs) can influence the police to raid the homes of his enemies, even after the police are legally notified their warrant is invalid, that means you can no longer trust what you read in the press. You must assume going forward that everything published has been put through a filter of "we had to make sure this wouldn't piss off anyone rich who might raid us", which puts a tinge of doubt into every article. And that's a scary thing indeed. Cold War Pravda, anyone?

See, my friend, ridiculous hyperbole like that is the problem. Jason Chen isn't Bob Woodward, Jobs isn't Nixon and the iPhone is not Watergate.

First of all, Steve Jobs can no more "influence" the police than he can turn lead into gold. This story has been *everywhere* including lots of mainstream websites. The police couldn't have missed it if they were blind as a bat. No one needed to *influence* anyone.

Secondly, Pravda? Seriously? Are you one of these people who calls someone a Nazi if you disagree with their politics? What an insult to a real, serious situation that millions of Russian suffered under for years.

Gizmodo and Chen are just pseudo-journalists with absolutely no standards who have grown used to having their way because no one cared. This time, finally, they went too far. They paid for stolen merchandise, not just information, an actual, physical object.

They were serving no greater good by exposing some corrupt politician or bringing down a criminal organization. They are just a rinky-dink bunch of posers whose utter lack of morals or ethics has finally caught up with them.

You can't buy stolen merchandise and then say, "Hey look it's a scoop!"
  • Reply 59 of 530
    If they're going to reveal names and all, why spill the name of the guy who flubbed up and not the notorious opportunist who fenced it.

That's the name I want to see in print.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mofuu View Post

for a brief moment, i thought that it was low for gizmodo to put his name out there too, but by doing so, with all the media, i think giz saved his job for the moment (if he's still employed). his name was going to come out at some point sooner or later.

-T

• Reply 60 of 530
    jonnyboyjonnyboy Posts: 525member
    i'm having trouble understanding all this animosity towards gizmodo