California authorities seize computers of Gizmodo editor

Comments

• Reply 81 of 530
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Me, too. If the issue is with potentially doing something illegal then these same people should also hate Apple and boycott their products. Apple has actually lost court case while this Gizmodo case is still mostly speculation.

Personally, I enjoyed seeing the G4 iPhone, don't think it will hurt the stock or company, and outside of that I'm indifferent, though am interested to see what will happen. No Schadenfreude here, but I do like conflict. Conflict is drama is entertainment.

It's not Gizmodo VS Apple.

This is for catching the guy who sold the iPhone to Gizmodo.
  • Reply 82 of 530
    sacto joesacto joe Posts: 895member
    Obviously, there are a lot of people posting here who have no idea of what "breaking the law" means.

1. There's a law.

2. Someone breaks it.

3. The authorities investigate.

4. Charges are filed.

5. A trial is held.

6. A verdict is rendered.

7. The verdict is carried out.

And NONE of this requires the active participation of Apple or Steve Jobs!

As an Apple stockholder, I hope the law rips Gizmodo a new one.
  • Reply 83 of 530
    gmcalpingmcalpin Posts: 266member
    Quote:

Awww.

That's the funniest shit I've seen today, but?

Awwwww.
  • Reply 84 of 530
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maximara View Post

No matter how you slice it Gizmodo really dropped the ball on this.

Maybe we'll see the Apple conspiracy theorists now chime in that this was also a Gawker conspiracy to profit from suing their attorney for malpractice.
  • Reply 85 of 530
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    meh. Who cares really. We got what we wanted out of it, and iphone 4g is just a few months away anyways. It's not like Apple's 2015 model got out or something REALLY damaging.

You mean iphone 9g will act as a HOVER BOARD!?
  • Reply 86 of 530
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:

Yawn. He considers himself a geek?
  • Reply 87 of 530
    maximaramaximara Posts: 409member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ihxo View Post

There are many possibilities.

1) the gizmodo editor bought the iPhone prototype without any idea that it was stolen

2) the gizmodo editor knew it was stolen

3) the gizmodo editor stole the iPhone prototype

4) the Apple engineer actually sold gizmodo the iPhone

5) Steve Jobs sold gizmodo the iPhone.

The police needs to get the evidence. Breaking the door might be a bit over the top, but that's probably regular procedure in order to preserve evidence.

You forget option

6) Gizmodo is composed of paparazzi or yellow journalism minded twit brains who wanted to publish a story no matter what and played dumb in the hope they would get away with being Homer Simpson level stupid.

Actually now I think about it, Homer Simpson is smarter.
  • Reply 88 of 530
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

meh. Who cares really. We got what we wanted out of it, and iphone 4g is just a few months away anyways. It's not like Apple's 2015 model got out or something REALLY damaging.

You mean iphone 9g will act as a HOVER BOARD!?

But you have to buy two as well as the Nike+++++++ attachments for your shoes. That's where get cha!
  • Reply 89 of 530
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 3goldens View Post

Search warrant was illegal do tell, how is that?

Apple influence the police, are you some sort of conspiracy buff, nut, whatever.....

Clearly, what these people did need to be investigated, and should it be found that this item was stolen, and that they clear.y knew they were purchasing stolen goods, I hope they shut them down, and they all go to the big house to meet bubba! That'll teach em a thing or two!

I'd like people to remember they have the potential of looking foolish in print (this forum) if it turns out this was a media spectacle gone wrong.

I will openly admit I was wrong if that is not the case, but I am willing to stake my life on the fact most of you demonizing Gizmodo will attempt to say you never said any of this later.

Chen didn't fight the warrant and are being cautious in their countering of it.

Besides it being a legal matter, why is that?

How did Chen have an attorney so quickly? They are essentially a tech blog.

Yes, Gawker may have gotten one for them but that implies this will not be an easy fight and facts may come out that may not have been supposed to see the light of day.

Of course, this is conjecture, as everything here is.
  • Reply 90 of 530
    wilwil Posts: 170member
    What people don't understand is this, Gizmodo themselves were the ones that created this chain of events that led to the authorities in California to seize, Jason Chen's computers. Link number one, they showed the lost iPhone prototype in their possession by showing pictures of it in their website, Link number two, they admitted that they paid a large amount of money to the finder and btw, they were noted to actively looking for someone who can provide them with the existence of the 4 gen iPhone and are willing to pay for it, link number three, they acknowledge that the finder knew who the Apple engineer who lost the prototype by looking at his facebook account the very night the guy/girl found the lost iPhone, link number four, they posted the Apple engineer's name all over the web as the one who lost the prototype but not the name of the finder. I am no lawyer, but the way Gizmodo handled it, it will looked like they have something to hide and the authorities are curious about it .
  • Reply 91 of 530
    Quote:

Personally, I enjoyed seeing the G4 iPhone, don't think it will hurt the stock or company, and outside of that I'm indifferent, though am interested to see what will happen. No Schadenfreude here, but I do like conflict. Conflict is drama is entertainment.

Maybe you would personally like to lose your job (or whatever may become of Gray) because someone either stole or found (but never returned) your phone. Or maybe as a stockholder you would like to lose money because a competitor in some way used this information to further their own product over Apple's.
  • Reply 92 of 530
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Harleigh Quinn View Post

I'd like people to remember they have the potential of looking foolish in print (this forum) if it turns out this was a media spectacle gone wrong.

I will openly admit I was wrong if that is not the case, but I am willing to stake my life on the fact most of you demonizing Gizmodo will attempt to say you never said any of this later.

Chen didn't fight the warrant and are being cautious in their countering of it.

Besides it being a legal matter, why is that?

How did Chen have an attorney so quickly? They are essentially a tech blog.

Yes, Gawker may have gotten one for them but that implies this will not be an easy fight and facts may come out that may not have been supposed to see the light of day.

Of course, this is conjecture, as everything here is.

Gizmodo needs a lawyer so they can continue to play the "I don't know it's stolen" card.

I am sure the lawyers are reviewing each and every blog posts about the iPhone G4 at the moment.
  • Reply 93 of 530
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple 1984 View Post

Maybe you would personally like to lose your job (or whatever may become of Gray) because someone either stole or found (but never returned) your phone. Or maybe as a stockholder you would like to lose money because a competitor in some way used this information to further their own product over Apple's.

As I stated, none of this affects me so I can't get emotional and want to see Chen ass raped in prison or whatever sick perversion some people might have against Gizmodo.

Also, none of this is as serious people make it out to be so I can't get upset about one company taking advantage of another company. How many people are still living in tents in Haiti? How many people died of malaria in yesterday? I simply can't see grabbing a pitchfork and torch over alleged crimes between two companies. I read and enjoy the drama, but that is it.

PS: I'll ask this again. If the problem is the alleged crime and lack of ethics, then what are the same posters shunning Gizmodo also not doing the same thing to Apple, who have lost in court for stealing other's IP.
  • Reply 94 of 530
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wil View Post

What people don't understand is this, Gizmodo themselves were the ones that created this chain of events that led to the authorities in California to seize, Jason Chen's computers. Link number one, they showed the lost iPhone prototype in their possession by showing pictures of it in their website, Link number two, they admitted that they paid a large amount of money to the finder and btw, they were noted to actively looking for someone who can provide them with the existence of the 4 gen iPhone and are willing to pay for it, link number three, they acknowledge that the finder knew who the Apple engineer who lost the prototype by looking at his facebook account the very night the guy/girl found the lost iPhone, link number four, they posted the Apple engineer's name all over the web as the one who lost the prototype but not the name of the finder. I am no lawyer, but the way Gizmodo handled it, it will looked like they have something to hide and the authorities are curious about it .

Yes but none of what you mentioned is illegal for a media outlet. They can pay for stories and they do all the time. Take a video or snapshot of something interesting you may get paid for it. Now knowingly accepting stolen merchandise is likely not covered even for media outlets as there has to be a limit to ethics.
  • Reply 95 of 530
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

+1

It is certainly a gray area here. You've encapsulated the two main issues that will come to bear and decide the case.

1. Does Gawker Media/Gizmodo have journalistic protection.

2. Can it be proven that they knew the item was stolen.

I don't think that (1) even applies. Being a journalist, regardless of who one works for, doesn't give the journalist license to commit criminal acts, even if they are related to "reporting a story".

The only question is whether a criminal act was committed and/or covered up.
  • Reply 96 of 530
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

Oh really? Apparently you're unable to put 2 + 2 together and realize how dangerous a precedent this is for our free media. If the rich (Steve Jobs) can influence the police to raid the homes of his enemies, even after the police are legally notified their warrant is invalid, that means you can no longer trust what you read in the press. You must assume going forward that everything published has been put through a filter of "we had to make sure this wouldn't piss off anyone rich who might raid us", which puts a tinge of doubt into every article. And that's a scary thing indeed. Cold War Pravda, anyone?

Whatever your political slant is, there were numerous felonies here:

-Stealing property

-Buying stolen property

-Destroying stolen property

Being a member of the media does not protect you from any of these. In fact being a member of the media, shouldn't afford you any special treatment for breaking any law. To think otherwise is infantile and silly.

I'm very sorry, but this case can't help you flush out those conspiracy theories. However, you're also free to keep checking under the bed for the Steve Jobs boogyman. Oooooooooooo
  • Reply 97 of 530
    stuffestuffe Posts: 394member
    Funny how the search was news to Chen when he arrived after going out to dinner, and yet there was still a "1 page doc pertaining to the invalidity of the search warrant" signed by Gawkers lawyer in "room 1"...

Let's see how long before Gizmodo change this story...
  • Reply 98 of 530
    Quote:

As I stated, none of this affects me so I can't get emotional and want to see Chen ass raped in prison or whatever sick perversion some people might have against Gizmodo.

Also, none of this is as serious people make it out to be so I can't get upset about one company taking advantage of another company. How many people are still living in tents in Haiti? How many people died of malaria in yesterday? I simply can't see grabbing a pitchfork and torch over alleged crimes between two companies. I read and enjoy the drama, but that is it.

PS: I'll ask this again. If the problem is the alleged crime and lack of ethics, then what are the same posters shunning Gizmodo also not doing the same thing to Apple, who have lost in court for stealing other's IP.

For once I must agree with him.
  • Reply 99 of 530
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple 1984 View Post

I don't suppose it's ever crossed your mind that Apple most likely knew already that the phone was lost by Gray. It would be impossible to believe that Apple fired up Giz one day, looked at photos of their phone and then started wondering where it is. Whatever discipline meted out should have been dispensed during the month or so between the loss and the scoop. I would guess any connection between giz and gray's fate is less than what many are making it out to be.
  • Reply 100 of 530
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I don't think that (1) even applies. Being a journalist, regardless of who one works for, doesn't give the journalist license to commit criminal acts, even if they are related to "reporting a story".

The only question is whether a criminal act was committed and/or covered up.

I know that's why I said the burden of proof is with whatever county prosecutor in charge. If Chen's computer comes up clean, meaning know acknowledgement that the phone was stolen, their prosecutors case becomes almost impossible to win.