Oprah gushes over 'amazing' new Apple iPad

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 92
    champchamp Posts: 39member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I was in an Apple Store on Sunday and was surprised at how packed it was.

I go into an apple store every other weekend and it is always packed. A lot of curious shoppers wondering what all this hype (Apple) is about I guess.
  • Reply 82 of 92
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

On the contrary, it's exactly what's good for the iPad. The more popular, big names get behind it and promote it, the better.

Microstupid and the other also-rans would kill for this kind of endorsement. Use your head.

My head says people who watch Oprah don't do much reading.

People who do read don't watch Oprah.

So she's advertising iPad to a completely wrong group of people... and, at the same time, doing very negative de-advertising to people who could be in iPad's buyers group.

Off the topic, regarding Microstupid... I was hoping you have grown out of silly-names-calling phase. Obviously, I had too high expectations for you. \
  • Reply 83 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Champ View Post

I go into an apple store every other weekend and it is always packed. A lot of curious shoppers wondering what all this hype (Apple) is about I guess.

Ah, rubbernecking people-watchers..... that explains it!
  • Reply 84 of 92
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

So Oprah's Book Club is selling books to people who don't read?

Interesting concept.
  • Reply 85 of 92
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

I can't say if they are actually readers or not, but I can say that if Oprah promotes a book then sales will skyrocket. The simplest answer is books are being purchased to read based on her recommendation.
  • Reply 86 of 92
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

So she's advertising iPad to a completely wrong group of people... and, at the same time, doing very negative de-advertising to people who could be in iPad's buyers group.

She's advertising it to everyone who has a TV and has heard of Oprah. There is no "marketing to the wrong people" here. It's all just "marketing." Big names have a substantial umbrella-effect. The specifics don't matter.

By the way, Oprah's Book Club is HUGELY popular. Visit any of the big bookstore chains and look around. This sort of endorsement is wonderful for Apple.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oprah's_Book_Club
  • Reply 87 of 92
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I can't say if they are actually readers or not, but I can say that if Oprah promotes a book then sales will skyrocket. The simplest answer is books are being purchased to read based on her recommendation.

Or being purchased to level dining room tables. Always a possibility, right?

I'm not an Oprah fan by any stretch of the imagination, but there's so much "them and us" logic going on in this thread, it's giving me a serious case of the creeps.
  • Reply 88 of 92
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Or being purchased to level dining room tables. Always a possibility, right?

I'm not an Oprah fan by any stretch of the imagination, but there's so much "them and us" logic going on in this thread, it's giving me a serious case of the creeps.

I don't think I've ever watched her show but I have to give her a lot of credit for what she has accomplished and overcome in her life. It's an impression story, to say the least.
  • Reply 89 of 92
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    I was hoping to walk into an Apple store on Friday and pick up a 3G. Now, that may be a problem.
  • Reply 90 of 92
    williamgwilliamg Posts: 322member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Seconded. Not for this thread.

Let's not respond to political posts either - or to posts which respond to politcal posts.
  • Reply 91 of 92
    bc kellybc kelly Posts: 148member

Yea, Oprah "gushes" over everything

Now ...

Regarding James Frey

He did not "lie"

Was exercising "poetic license"

As any Writer, Educated Reader, or English Major knows - sometimes a "lie" tells a Greater Truth than Truth ever could

Too bad for Oprah she doesn't seem to understand that concept

Cause "Million Pieces" was a Helluva Story, and a lot of HER "truths" are really "lies"

(if all that's confusing to you, just think Microsoft and Advertising)

• Reply 92 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tsad23 View Post

She did not buy the cars. GM gave those cars away on her show. It as a very costly advertisement for GM that Oprah took credit for.

That was widely reported by Newsweek immediately following her show ... no deception. The giveaway idea was her producers' successful suggestion, GM was delighted with the response as a rollout for their G6, Oprah benefited immensely from the media attention. Where's the beef? (that's a rhetorical question)