Microsoft believes Android infringes on patents, HTC strikes deal

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by surferfromuk View Post

That is dirty. Apple innovate, show everyone the way forward, everyone copies them and then all snark together to do dirty deals to try and muscle Apple out of the game. Pretty low.

That's actually NOT what happens, but since this is Apple Insider, I can see why a comment so misleading such as this was eventually posted
  • Reply 22 of 45
    tsatsa Posts: 129member
    This is completely ridiculous. MS has been threatening Linux vendors/distributors with patent infringements for years, but they have, as far as I know, never shown which of their patents are infringed. Now they try the same thing with Android. It's amazing what they get away with. Someone has to put a stop to this.
  • Reply 23 of 45
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tsa View Post

This is completely ridiculous. MS has been threatening Linux vendors/distributors with patent infringements for years, but they have, as far as I know, never shown which of their patents are infringed. Now they try the same thing with Android. It's amazing what they get away with. Someone has to put a stop to this.

There's no need to, look at the utter failure of Nexus one phone, they'll fall on their own swords, iPhone OS is supremely better than Android, and all the other competing operating system mobile handsets out there. They're all playing catchup to the 1st gen iPhone and failing hard.
  • Reply 24 of 45
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,295member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

...how is Android like iphone OS?...

Look familiar?
  • Reply 25 of 45
    Last time I checked, there was no App store for mobile smart phones until Apple stepped in, there was no popular raving touch based smart phone until Apple made one, how can anyone suggest Apple was trying to mimick symbian or blackberry OS when they envisioned the iPhone OS. Man I suppose windows based monkeys are that stupid.
  • Reply 26 of 45
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    HP just bought Palm for 1.2 billion

Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

I thought rumors were saying that HTC was thinking of buying Palm. I'd hate to see Apple acquire them, as the webOS is quite good. I own a Palm Pre, and I love and use it more than my iPod Touch! I don't know if Palm can survive on their own, but I'm hoping before they go they start licencing out the OS, or make it open source (it is Linux after all).

• Reply 27 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

HP just bought Palm for 1.2 billion

Do you have a link to this news?
  • Reply 28 of 45
    tsatsa Posts: 129member
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zindako View Post

There's no need to, look at the utter failure of Nexus one phone, they'll fall on their own swords, iPhone OS is supremely better than Android, and all the other competing operating system mobile handsets out there. They're all playing catchup to the 1st gen iPhone and failing hard. By the way Chronster, you're on my ignore list for being a total idiot.

I don't share your opinion zindako. There is so much wrong with the iPhone I won't touch it with a ten-foot pole.
  • Reply 29 of 45
    http://blogs.zdnet.com/gadgetreviews...g=wrapper;col1

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/28/hp-buys-palm/

Quote:

Do you have a link to this news?

• Reply 30 of 45
    Wouldn't is be hard to make out the screen at that range, you'd barely see what the tip of said pole was touching.

I wouldn't touch my iPhone with a 10 foot pole either, a finger is far better.

Quote:

I don't share your opinion zindako. There is so much wrong with the iPhone I won't touch it with a ten-foot pole.

• Reply 31 of 45
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:

Last time I checked, there was no App store for mobile smart phones until Apple stepped in, there was no popular raving touch based smart phone until Apple made one, how can anyone suggest Apple was trying to mimick symbian or blackberry OS when they envisioned the iPhone OS. Man I suppose windows based monkeys are that stupid.

Check again. Apple did not invent the app store concept for smart phones. Actually, likely Danger did...who owns Danger now?
  • Reply 32 of 45
    Was Danger around before the iTunes store?

After all the App store was rolled into it, it uses the same biiling systems etc.

Have a Palm to the face (maybe you can buy one off HP).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Check again. Apple did not invent the app store concept for smart phones. Actually, likely Danger did...who owns Danger now?

• Reply 33 of 45
    patrollpatroll Posts: 77member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phone-UI-Guy View Post

Your missing the big picture..

You're missing an apostrophe and an e.
  • Reply 34 of 45
    steviestevie Posts: 956member
    Quote:

I used my coworkers Android Nexus one phone, I cringed in disgust navigating its various UI functions,

Wow. What happens to you if you use a Windows computer?
  • Reply 35 of 45
    Quote:

There's no need to, look at the utter failure of Nexus one phone, they'll fall on their own swords, iPhone OS is supremely better than Android, and all the other competing operating system mobile handsets out there. They're all playing catchup to the 1st gen iPhone and failing hard. By the way Chronster, you're on my ignore list for being a total idiot.

Well hello there little red button.

Seriously, are people absolutely incapable of having a discussion WITHOUT personal insults?
  • Reply 36 of 45
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Was Danger around before the iTunes store?

After all the App store was rolled into it, it uses the same biiling systems etc.

Have a Palm to the face (maybe you can buy one off HP).

Wow. So a desktop music store is now the same idea as a mobile app store.

Btw, apple didn't invent online music stores either.

You are right, your post demands a facepalm. No wonder non apple users get annoyed with all apple fans. They actually think we all think like that.
  • Reply 37 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

Wow. What happens to you if you use a Windows computer?

Don't worry, he didn't actually use a nexus one. He's saying what he thinks people around here like to hear
  • Reply 38 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

They actually think we all think like that.

what you say flies in the face of everything I've ever known. A whole new world is emerging in my mind: A world where people CAN ACTUALLY THINK!
  • Reply 39 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

Look familiar?

Ok that made me because there are DEFINITELY some similarities there. That's just funny.

The thing is though is it's different enough. Really the only thing I see the same is the magnifier and ability to resize a selection. The popup menu gives more functionality than iphone.

What else do you have? The copy and paste example was a good one and showed me something I was unaware of, but is it enough to constitute calling android a wannabe iphone OS? Are there other obvious copies?
  • Reply 40 of 45
    steviestevie Posts: 956member
    Quote:

Last time I checked, there was no App store for mobile smart phones until Apple stepped in,

Check again.

Handango

Palmgear

PocketGear

FreewarePalm

In the bad old days, both the OS manufacturer and lots of other locations had cool app stores for your phone.