HP to acquire Palm for $1.2 Billion

Comments

• Reply 41 of 117
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

Over on Precentral.net, they are already crowing about how Palm can now copy the iPhone with impunity due to patents and cash. They are also drooling over the WebOS, iPad knock-off. Go check them out and see what the Palm community has devolved into.

Palm said Apple wouldn't be able to walk in and get it right. But that's exactly what Apple did - they walked in, no, they stormed onto the scene. Now Palm is fledging and their OS looks more like Apple's than any other vendor on the market. That's irony for your ass. It says to me that Palm feels that the only way to compete is to copy the guys in Cupertino.

Everybody has a touchscreen phone now. Guess who we can thank for that.
  • Reply 42 of 117
    steviestevie Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

I wonder if hp will really be committed to webos. If they come out with winmo7 phones, then we will know the answer is "no".

My guess is that they do come out with a windows phone.

My guess is that they come out with Windows, Android and WebOS phones.

Dell is a similar company. They just announced a flagship windows phone and 4 android phones aimed at various market segments.
  • Reply 43 of 117
    I think this is a brilliant move on HP's part.

The future is mobile computing (smart phones & tablets).

I think they are most interested in acquiring WEBos as the first step in 1. distancing themselves from MS and 2. creating an 'eco-system' a la Apple.

It may take years and to be quite honest won't work, but at least it's better than just 'slapping' together something like MS or Dell would do. In other words taking a 'longterm' approach as opposed to selling short term sh*t!

But I agree HP is not the innovator Apple is...but then again you don't have to be if you can buy a company like Palm and infuse it with capital.
  • Reply 44 of 117
    steviestevie Posts: 956member
    Quote:

WebOS based device? When they're releasing a Tablet running Windows? Are they suddenly going to play both sides of the street now? That's a risky job, even for a whore.

What is wrong with targeting various market segments? ISTM to be riskier to put all your eggs in one basket.
  • Reply 45 of 117
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Funny turn... after HP buying 3COM, everything is back to where it starts...

Aside from HP's grossly inept management and their lack of value they express towards their employees, it could be interesting to watch.
  • Reply 46 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

HP's idea of innovation:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/19/h...-the-wild-meh/

Doesn't look too good for Palm.

Maybe that "meh" was the reason they bought Palm.

I still think WebOS is by far the *second* best mobile OS out there, but it probably doesn't have a chance against Android now unless Apple's lawsuits with HTC hold it back somewhat.

It would be funny if Microsoft bought HP now.

Then all *three* of the companies that led the field for mobile devices at one time or another but squandered the lead due to bad management decisions and poor design choices would be in the same camp.
  • Reply 47 of 117
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webpoet73 View Post

I, as a Pre owner, am happy that Palm (who will operate as a separate company) is getting the financial backing it needs to make a better product.

Problem is that this simply isn't how HP operates. Slash and Burn is really more their mentality. Look at what they have done to EDS and other, smaller acquisitions. HP is only after profit, and if Palm can't deliver then they will chop it to hell.

Now, if HP had vision, they could really do some interesting things with Palm. That, however, is not in line with "letting them operate as a separate company." They need to integrate Palm thoughts and ideas into their existing products and visions... but it won't happen as one might hope.
  • Reply 48 of 117
    webpoet73webpoet73 Posts: 112member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

Problem is that this simply isn't how HP operates. Slash and Burn is really more their mentality. Look at what they have done to EDS and other, smaller acquisitions. HP is only after profit, and if Palm can't deliver then they will chop it to hell.

Now, if HP had vision, they could really do some interesting things with Palm. That, however, is not in line with "letting them operate as a separate company." They need to integrate Palm thoughts and ideas into their existing products and visions... but it won't happen as one might hope.

Well, separate "business unit" within HP. I know it's all rosey now. One cannot predict the future. No matter how smart we might think we are. I am hopeful for the future and will adapt accordingly, but I am not abandoning my Pre until the ship has completely sunk. This deal gives it more life than it had prior to the deal.
  • Reply 49 of 117
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

But I agree HP is not the innovator Apple is...but then again you don't have to be if you can buy a company like Palm and infuse it with capital.

Remember years ago when we thought the Razor was all that and a bag of chips. Now Apple has changed how we think about phones. The Razor wasn't revolutionary, yet it's one of the most successful mobile devices in history. My point is, in today's market, because of think tanks like Apple et al, you HAVE to be an innovator. If not, you'll end up like Palm - "Po, Broke, and Disgusted."
  • Reply 50 of 117
    macslutmacslut Posts: 514member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

...snip...

On paper, you may be right about HP and Palm and their chances, but the first thing that popped into my head was "HP, where technology goes to die."

HP has a history of squandering IP (in my opinion), and a corporate culture that's almost poisonous to innovation.

I don't know...this time could be different! HP could merge Palm into their iPAQ lineup they acquired with the purchase of Compaq...oh wait, never mind!

In the end, this helps Apple. HP could've gone with using Android or Windows 7 Phone Series.
  • Reply 51 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Remember years ago when we thought the Razor was all that and a bag of chips. Now Apple has changed how we think about phones. The Razor wasn't revolutionary, yet it's one of the most successful mobile devices in history. My point is, in today's market, because of think tanks like Apple et al, you HAVE to be an innovator. If not, you'll end up like Palm - "Po, Broke, and Disgusted."

Agreed...but there are two basic business philosophies...1. be like Apple and innovate or 2. be like Walmart, Coca-Cola, Dell, McDonald's, Budweiser, GM, MS and sell 'crap' products and hope you sell a lot!

Palm was at one time an 'innovator' as was HP (think printers here) but HP has definitely turned into a #2 type company and as you say maybe it's too late for Palm, as well.

Ps. Yes, I do remember coveting the razr...another example of owning a market so to speak and not continuing to innovate. Again, Apple has owned the MP3 market for years and look at the new and improved iPod Models that come out every year-amazing!
  • Reply 52 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macslut View Post

I don't know...this time could be different! HP could merge Palm into their iPAQ lineup they acquired with the purchase of Compaq...oh wait, never mind!

In the end, this helps Apple. HP could've gone with using Android or Windows 7 Phone Series.

I think HP, Dell, Sony and the rest of the PC manufacturers have been hurt immeasurably by MS's missteps and clumsy implementation of their OS's.

This is HP attempting to get more into consumer mobile computing without having to carry a dog like MS's clunky buggy OS's.

BTW: Dell really missed the boat on this one!
  • Reply 53 of 117
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Let's see:

According to Value Line

Palm had 167,593,000 shares outstanding and Elevation Partners owned about 33.1%,

so E.P. owned about 55,473,283 shares. At $5.70 per share, E.P. will get $316,197,713

for their Palm shares. According to Wikipedia, E.P. invested $425 million in Palm.

Does someone have better figures, or did Elevation Partners just take a big haircut?
  • Reply 54 of 117
    rybryb Posts: 56member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

Don´t forget Flash support too!

In my opinion Mac users are a bit upset, they were looking for a open Mac tablet with decent storage so they can tweak on it and innovate.

I'm not upset with the iPad and I think most Mac users are not. Each person has their own little dreams about what it might have been like, but that's natural. The sales show that a lot of people are not too upset.

Now, why can't HP blend with Palm and make a better hardware setup to put Palm OS on and sell a great HP phone too? I didn't think about the slate right away, but it does sound like a big step forward for HP if they run with that.
  • Reply 55 of 117
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Let's see:

According to Value Line

Palm had 167,593,000 shares outstanding and Elevation Partners owned about 33.1%,

so E.P. owned about 55,473,283 shares. At $5.70 per share, E.P. will get $316,197,713

for their Palm shares. According to Wikipedia, E.P. invested $425 million in Palm.

Does someone have better figures, or did Elevation Partners just take a big haircut?

Actually, Elevation Partners took a haircut when the stock slid from $17 to under $5.

HP's offer means that they'll only lose 25% of their initial investment instead of 35%.
  • Reply 56 of 117
    rybryb Posts: 56member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 3goldens View Post

They deserve each other! They'll both be out of business within 5 years!

Funny, but I doubt it.
  • Reply 57 of 117
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Actually, Elevation Partners took a haircut when the stock slid from $17 to under $5.

HP's offer means that they'll only lose 25% of their initial investment instead of 35%.

Yeah. Well at least Bono has Bill Gates' and Warren Buffett's shoulders to cry on.
  • Reply 58 of 117
    capnbobcapnbob Posts: 388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daving313 View Post

It's funny that certain niche message boards for certain fans tend to have the same quick to the punch attitude about things. Reading the Appleinsider comments here I see we have a bunch of MBA's and Strategy consultants who already know this is doomed before a single share has been bought.

HP is a $120 billion dollar company. Palm has a ton of IP and engineering talent. This is a very, very smart move for HP. They are paying straight cash.

Let's not hate before even a single device is even realized to the public. I sense some fear among those die-hard iPhone OS folks... An open tablet from HP with webOS with TRUE multi-tasking...? Wow.

I agree, it too early to hate/slate (get it?) but any MBA (who are mostly knuckleheads) will tell you the odds are against this deal like most others of its ilk. It may be a day for imaginations to run wild and think of the possible upside but tomorrow and every day after that is reality which is more likely to prove that Palm/HP will have cultural problems, spend ages integrating roadmaps, lose key staff, find the market moving underneath them, HP will run out of patience slightly too soon, etc.

Imagination is cool but reality is real...
  • Reply 59 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Capnbob View Post

I agree, it too early to hate/slate (get it?) but any MBA (who are mostly knuckleheads) will tell you the odds are against this deal like most others of its ilk. It may be a day for imaginations to run wild and think of the possible upside but tomorrow and every day after that is reality which is more likely to prove that Palm/HP will have cultural problems, spend ages integrating roadmaps, lose key staff, find the market moving underneath them, HP will run out of patience slightly too soon, etc.

Imagination is cool but reality is real...

Agreed! Never work for a family business and never work for a corporation!
  • Reply 60 of 117
    capnbobcapnbob Posts: 388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

I imagine you're right.

WebOS based device? When they're releasing a Tablet running Windows? Are they suddenly going to play both sides of the street now? That's a risky job, even for a whore.

HP is not a Whore!!!!

It is a Brothel, catering to all tastes and all markets, straight, gay, fetish, and all points in between. This is like opening up a whole new wing (or reopening the closed iPaq wing).

Not even the highest class call girl gets to be worth $120Bn... or have I pushed your offhand metaphor too far ;-)