HP to acquire Palm for $1.2 Billion

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 117
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by replicant View Post

Wow, this is the best outcome for Apple! HP has had very little success in the mobile business and they are far from being an innovative company. They are in the commodity business. Their corporate culture will likely kill any innovation Palm has left. Get ready for a brain drain.

Furthermore, a billion dollars is ludicrous especially if you look at Palm's latest financial results. RIM, although more expensive, would have been a more suitable acquisition. They own the business smartphone segment.

A billion dollars is pretty damn cheap for a once glorious company that made a ding in the PDA universe, then opened new doors in the smartphone arena.

Once glorious...
  • Reply 102 of 117
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

This is probably not the forum for bringing this up, but I finally get why Apple are so anti-Flash.

I've just joined the YouTube HTML5 beta, and whilst on the negative side the video players controls don't look quite as good as the Flash player, on the plus side I still have 2:30 of battery life left and my legs aren't on fire from the heat coming off my Macbook.

I'm a convert!

Check out the new Flash 10.1 Beta for Mac OS X. It just got HW decoding acceleration with the new framework Apple added to 10.6.3.
    It's pretty stable and showing notable benefit over 10.0.x.
    However, I'm still seeing 3x to 6x more CPU usage with Flash on YouTube over HTML5 for the same video at as the same bitrates/resolutions. The only drawback for HTML5 is that there is currently no fullscreen option, which is a drawback for many.
  • Reply 103 of 117
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by postulant View Post

are they laughing 'cause it's funny, or are they laughing to hide their insecurities. I think it's a great acquisition.... But what the hell do i know? I bet you apple isn't laughing...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

i bet apple couldn't care less.

^^qft
  • Reply 104 of 117
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

I imagine you're right.

WebOS based device? When they're releasing a Tablet running Windows? Are they suddenly going to play both sides of the street now? That's a risky job, even for a whore.

Yuo can have tablet in two flavours, not unlike netbooks were available in both Linux and XP flavour.

At the end of the day, market will decide on each platform success.

Whoring is acceptable practice in business. Just look at Apple belly-dancing between Intel, Nvidia and AMD.
  • Reply 105 of 117
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

Don´t forget Flash support too!

In my opinion Mac users are a bit upset, they were looking for a open Mac tablet with decent storage so they can tweak on it and innovate.

And opinions can be very wrong. Millions of people buying the iPad are not upset at all - in fact, surveys show them to be extremely happy.
  • Reply 106 of 117
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

So what did you think when previously sacked, NExT-fiasco-infamous executive wannabie joined leave-the-sinking-ship fruit company..? \

I for one predicted a total success knowing the genius level involved, the skill set at Next and the potential at Apple and bet the farm on AAPL, how went your prediction on that one?
  • Reply 107 of 117
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Check out the new Flash 10.1 Beta for Mac OS X. It just got HW decoding acceleration with the new framework Apple added to 10.6.3.
    It's pretty stable and showing notable benefit over 10.0.x.
    However, I'm still seeing 3x to 6x more CPU usage with Flash on YouTube over HTML5 for the same video at as the same bitrates/resolutions. The only drawback for HTML5 is that there is currently no fullscreen option, which is a drawback for many.

Hey thanks for the info. I am testing the 10.1 beta on a MacBook and it does seem less toasty. Meanwhile on the HTML5 beta at YouTube I wonder what the hold up on more features for the HTML5 full screen is, they have the 720p working beautifully. I also just saw a new control for slow down and speed up above the play button that doesn't work for me yet. I hadn't noticed that till just now.
  • Reply 108 of 117
    replicantreplicant Posts: 121member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daving313 View Post

While HP does run a mildly succesful hardware business (that I would think the ASUS's, Gateways, Toshiba's of the world would be jealous of), they are not strictly commodities.

They run a rather successful services organization as well. Wouldn't the brain drain have occurred when Palm was looking for a suitor?

Yes it did but I was referring to people leaving the organization because of the culture clash. Anyway, the point was that I think Palm is not suitable for HP, a company more focused on business customers than electronic consumers.
  • Reply 109 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daving313 View Post

While HP does run a mildly succesful hardware business

In what universe do you live where the #1 pc manufacturer is mildly successful?
  • Reply 110 of 117
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Hey thanks for the info. I am testing the 10.1 beta on a MacBook and it does seem less toasty. Meanwhile on the HTML5 beta at YouTube I wonder what the hold up on more features for the HTML5 full screen is, they have the 720p working beautifully. I also just saw a new control for slow down and speed up above the play button that doesn't work for me yet. I hadn't noticed that till just now.

The "turtle/rabbit" button has been there for a few months. I don't think fullscreen will be coming for awhile.

Jilion's Sublime video demo has a fullscreen option with newer version of WebKit. I'm not sure what has changed to allow this but the fact that you need to hold down the Command button whilst clicking the button to make the window larger is far from an ideal solution. It will have to a separate button that is usable across the board with browsers supporting HTML5 video. It doesn't look fast-tracked to me.
  • Reply 111 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

A billion dollars is pretty damn cheap for a once glorious company that made a ding in the PDA universe, then opened new doors in the smartphone arena.

Once glorious...

The best thing HP can do is continue to use the brand PALM.
  • Reply 112 of 117
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,960member
    So many phones, so little room at the top. Unless Palm/HP/WebOS can come up with an iPhone-like revolution in the way smartphones behave, they are doomed to be just another struggling also-ran in the market.
  • Reply 113 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffreytgilbert View Post

In what universe do you live where the #1 pc manufacturer is mildly successful?

Sorry, should have put my sarcasm face in
  • Reply 114 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

And opinions can be very wrong. Millions of people buying the iPad are not upset at all - in fact, surveys show them to be extremely happy.

Because it's the only Pad out. if it continues to dominate the market like the iPhone after the other release theirs, then you can make that statement. It's easy to win a one horse race.
  • Reply 115 of 117
    gin_tonicgin_tonic Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

Excellent!

A crapware PC maker joining with a has-been smartphone company.

What half-assed products await?

It's a high propability that the forum is running on the hardware manufactured by this A crapware PC maker
  • Reply 116 of 117
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donarb View Post

Out there tonight, Carly Fiorina pumps her fist in the air with a loud "YESSSSSSSS!", knowing that she no longer owns the most bone-headed decision by an HP CEO.

Pocket change compared to her acquisitions and the size of HP. MS has spent more just to strangle promising tech they never employed. And HP probably will scrape a bit of useful flesh off the bones even if it never pans out to a big plus.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by replicant View Post

The best thing HP can do is continue to use the brand PALM.

I would.
  • Reply 117 of 117
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lisashawn View Post

i got this news this morning, wondering what may happen indeed?:|

Is there any danger that any of your posts might actually.... mean something?