Fourth generation iPhone prototype's finder, keeper revealed

Comments

• Reply 21 of 119
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tullius View Post

That's a really horrible effort at spin control. What was the $5000 payment for, again? To allow Gizmodo "access" to property which neither Hogan or Gizmodo had a legal right to?

They should just shut up and let the lawyers handle it. They're digging themselves in deeper and deeper every time they try and explain this.

Whenever you need an attorney, you are already screwed!
  • Reply 22 of 119
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k2director View Post

I'm so sick of these San Francisco liberal wackos (and liberal wacko felons) who characterize theft as "sharing" and suggest Apple is the new Third Reich when it moves to protect its trade secrets.

When is that next major earthquake due? It couldn't come soon enough...

I'm not really into name calling...but asking, 'when the next earthquake is due?' is inspired!
  • Reply 23 of 119
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Use the taser!!!!! the taser!!!!!

Rotfl. That made my day.
  • Reply 24 of 119
    Quote:

I'm so sick of these San Francisco liberal wackos (and liberal wacko felons) who characterize theft as "sharing" and suggest Apple is the new Third Reich when it moves to protect its trade secrets.

When is that next major earthquake due? It couldn't come soon enough...

FYI I'm a current resident in San Francisco (and a Bay Area native) and I have to disagree with you. Not only do I think these individuals should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law, but I find it sickening that you would suggest a catastrophic event as a desire. Stop generalizing and have some tact.
  • Reply 25 of 119
    elliots11elliots11 Posts: 290member
    This is getting really nasty. Not sure I like it. But like knowing about the next iPhone, I like knowing the identity of the finder. Let's hope his future isn't wrecked like Grey's was.
  • Reply 26 of 119
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mister Sweaters View Post

FYI I'm a current resident in San Francisco (and a Bay Area native) and I have to disagree with you. Not only do I think these individuals should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law, but I find it sickening that you would suggest a catastrophic event as a desire. Stop generalizing and have some tact.

Don't be so sensitive! Sheez!
  • Reply 27 of 119
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,898member
    This whole series of events merely serves to reinforce my personal credo:

Human beings, no damn good.
  • Reply 28 of 119
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zonk3r View Post

Is Wired's Brian X. Chen in any way related to Gizmodo's Jason Chen?

Why, because Chen is such an uncommon name?
  • Reply 29 of 119
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Hogannnnnn!

Brilliant.
  • Reply 30 of 119
    Quote:

Initial reports had it that the man who'd taken the iPhone tried repeatedly to call the Apple Care support line to return the phone, but according to the statement in the Wired story, Hogan never personally called Apple, although a friend of his offered to.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ytech_gadg/ytech_gadg_tc1874
  • Reply 31 of 119
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tullius View Post

That's a really horrible effort at spin control. What was the $5000 payment for, again? To allow Gizmodo "access" to property which neither Hogan or Gizmodo had a legal right to?

Excellent point! They, "the finders keepers" are willfully playing stupid! "Sharing"? Do they really think everyone is so stupid to believe that, given that the "finders" asked for $$?!?!? And how much of that $5,000 did they donate to charities that were mentioned in that article, or any other charities? That mentioning of charities smells like a lawyer spin-speak...

GizMEAN IDIOTS knew fully well that NOBODY had the right to review Apple's UNRELEASED Product!!! Only Apple has the right to pick their reviewers, and those select few reviewers do not disassemble the Reviewer Copy hardware or software! That kind of disassembly happens after the product goes on sale officially, where iFixit, and other sites buy the product legally and chop it up!

GizMEAN IDIOTS knew fully well that this phone was surely or "likely" [spin lingo] Apple's, that is EXACTLY why it was worth it for those GizHOLES to pay $5,000 for it!

GizMEAN IDIOTS knew fully well that it was a STOLEN INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY that nobody had the right to see, but Apple!

GizMEAN IDIOTS wanted FAME, CLICKS, SITE TRAFFIC!!! So, they decided to play DIRTY and STUPID, so that they could CUT THE LINE, and be ahead of ENTIRE TECH PRESS, the 1st Ones!

GizMEAN IDIOTS calculated their legal risks, using the SPIN LINGO like, "they wanted exclusive review" and then give it back to the "finder keeper", KNOWING FOR SURE that the phone didn't belong to the "finder keeper"!!! They knew who the phone belonged to, and they FAILED to return it to Apple Engineer, or Apple Store, or Apple Headquarters, or the bar, or police!!!!

"the finders keepers" simply were too scared to shop it for too long, and be caught! CizHOLES probably coached them on a plausible alibi, and now I hope the cops will see to it that the whole story blows up in their GREEDY, attention seeking faces!!!

GizMEAN IDIOTS calculated their legal risks INCORRECTLY, and I hope that Apple makes them PAY DEARLY!!!!

Whether it's Jon Stewart TV rant, or EFF, or whomever ganging up on Apple, defending these "journalists", "freedom fighters" -- that's ••• BS •••!!!!

Pogue, Mossberg and other Tech Press folks wouldn't have done what GizMEAN IDIOTS did! That's the difference between CLASSY, legit press, and these Tech Paparazzi!!!

GizMEAN IDIOTS played DIRTY!!!, competing UNFAIRLY against the rest of Tech Press, making a MOCKERY of the Press Shield Laws that are supposed to protect REAL JOURNALISTS who play by Rules of Ethics!!!

GizMEAN IDIOTS war not trying to protect the society against Apple, trying to save lives, because it's products cause cancer! They PLAYED DIRTY to gain FAME, as the way of competing against the REAL Tech Press!!! Now it's up to that REAL Tech Press to throw those GizCLOWNS under the bus!

Bad enough we have all that Reality TV Garbage, paparazzi etc., thus why allow these GizCLOWNS claim a Tech Robin Hood status! They are nothing but LOW LIVES!!!

Whether it's beer, or epileptic attack, or food poisoning, the Apple Engineer didn't mean to lose that phone! GizCLOWNS outed them to give their Fame Grab a greater "legitimacy"!!! But, what if that Apple Engineer committed suicide out of shame, desperation, guilt etc? Would GizCLOWNS' Apology UNDO THAT?

I call on Apple to follow up on this case till the very end to the full extent of the law! No Settlements!!!! This has to be a LESSON to ANYONE who is thinking of a Copy Cat Crime like this!!!

We are yet to find out if GizCLOWNS SOLD to any info they obtained by taking that iPhone apart!!!

The Media should not defend these clowns, as if they are some heroes, putting their lives on the line against some dictatorships!

Apple has invested a lot of $$ into development of their Intellectual Property, which they use to compete with others! Apple Shareholders invest in Apple Stock! It's all connected! Some of those Shareholders might have lost $$!

Was AAPL Stock Manipulation part of GizCLOWNS "calculated risk"?!

GizCLOWNS disregarder all that, because they wanted to beat the rest of Tech Press in the FAME, RATINGS GAME! The didn't care about hurting the Investors, Apple, or the guy who lost the phone! They played DIRTY, and thus they are DIRT, and so it anyone who'll ever try a similar STUNT in the future!!!!

Of course the lawyers for these GizCLOWNS will disagree with this, cause they want their FAME too!!!

Apple must leave no stone unturned to punish those GizCLOWNS!!! And, when they do, the entire Tech Industry should owe Apple a HUGE THANK YOU for it!!! Such STUNTS must not go unpunished!!!
  • Reply 32 of 119
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mister Sweaters View Post

Congratulations on being the exception to the rule.

But there is an extreme-left character to San Francisco (extending to its tech press) that is characterizing the big rich corporation (Apple) as a bully simply for making an effort to protect its trade secrets. The vast majority of tech press in the Bay Area was deeply disturbed by the seizure of Jason Chen's equipment....even though Chen clearly went out of his way to acquire someone else's property. It doesn't matter what the law says according to this crowd; deep down, the idea of armed police invading the home of a "journalist" was simply revolting, and you could see that in the coverage the search/seizure received. Much of the press (and tech press) chose to immediately see this as a David and Goliath story, ignoring lots of information that says otherwise. Many writers even chose to see a dark conspiracy in it all, suggesting that Apple's connection to that San Mateo police group allowed Apple to pull inappropriate strings to get Chen's search warrant served (as if California authorities wouldn't otherwise want to investigate the potentially inappropriate airing of highly sensitive trade secrets belonging to a major tax payer and employer in the state).

Anyway, I stand by my earlier statement. There is a left-leaning sentiment to the coverage Apple is getting in much of the press over this episode, especially the San Francisco-based press.
  • Reply 33 of 119
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Anyway, I stand by my earlier statement. There is a left-leaning sentiment to the coverage Apple is getting in much of the press over this episode, especially the San Francisco-based press.

You're right on a lot of that, but the problem of wishing a natural disaster on people because of their opinions, however wrong they are, exposes the evil that lurks in your inner being.
  • Reply 34 of 119
    Quote:

But there is an extreme-left character to San Francisco (extending to its tech press) that is characterizing the big rich corporation (Apple) as a bully simply for making an effort to protect its trade secrets. The vast majority of tech press in the Bay Area was deeply disturbed by the seizure of Jason Chen's equipment....even though Chen clearly went out of his way to acquire someone else's property. It doesn't matter what the law says according to this crowd; deep down, the idea of armed police invading the home of a "journalist" was simply revolting, and you could see that in the coverage the search/seizure received. Much of the press (and tech press) chose to immediately see this as a David and Goliath story, ignoring lots of information that says otherwise. Many writers even chose to see a dark conspiracy in it all, suggesting that Apple's connection to that San Mateo police group allowed Apple to pull inappropriate strings to get Chen's search warrant served (as if California authorities wouldn't otherwise want to investigate the potentially inappropriate airing of highly sensitive trade secrets belonging to a major tax payer and employer in the state).

I am not thrilled to see LEFT, RIGHT, and other LABELS get into this forum... There is an App for that -- TV, talk radio, etc... Why bring it here, where it's supposed to be about Mac..

I do agree with you, but I'd just call it STUPID! A misguided sense of loyalty, Journalists Of The World, Unite, Stick Together!

The Press should be the first ones to BEAT UP on those GIZHOLES, instead of standing by/with them! They are no Freedom Fighter, but CHARLATANS who have not paid their dues, and tried CUT THE LINE!!!

It's too bad that John Stewart, even though it was a funny skit, ended up being very one sided!!! Even though he fights for his RATINGS, he should have put JUSTICE FIRST!!! Those GIZHOLES "journalists" are NO HEROES! The are a LOW LIVES RATINGS WHORES!!! They must PAY!!!

Of course it looks icky when you hear about the search of that "journalist's" home, but when that "journalist" acts like CRIMINAL, who is tech savvy, and can delete evidence in a Billions of $$ worth of Industrial Spying Case, it would have been dumb to set an appointment for a search!!! Let that "journalist" now sit with the police and watch him go through his hard drives, asking Q's! Yes, the lawyers will call it inadmissible evidence, fishing expedition, and similar lingo... The lawyers and Chen will be allowed to make sure that there was no planted evidence... In the end, let GizHOLES pay for the ENTIRE COST of this INVESTIGATION that must be concluded!!!

And I am not even gonna touch the Conspiracy Theories of Apple planting this whole story!!! I simply don't believe that they would!!! And if they did, GizHOLES would have been the LOUDES ones SCREAMING about that, and Apple would prevent the seizure of Chen's computers!!!

As to SF.... I've visited SF, and I LOVED it there!!! Great place + PEOPLE!!! To LABEL the whole town is a silly generalization...

Asking for SF Earthquake -- that's very LOW...., unless you meant it as joke? But, even as a joke, it's not cool to wish people death, with exceptions of Bin Laden and such!!!

Happy Spring + Mac Love to ALL, regardless of politics and or any other stuff that I'd rather not see here!!!! This Forum ROCKS! ! Thanks!
  • Reply 35 of 119
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    so now it's Wired + Gizmodo ...

it's like turning on the lights in the kitchen and seeing all the roaches running for cover.
  • Reply 36 of 119
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Hogannnnnn!

That brings back many fond childhood memories.
  • Reply 37 of 119
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

Holy crap.

I love me some exotic erotic ball ladies when I lived in San Francisco. It's a great city and a great area to live. Too bad it's so damn expensive.
  • Reply 38 of 119
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

You're right on a lot of that, but the problem of wishing a natural disaster on people because of their opinions, however wrong they are, exposes the evil that lurks in your inner being.

Dude, I wasn't serious about the earthquake. It's called hyperbole...
  • Reply 39 of 119
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Too bad it's so damn expensive.

Of course it is, when 1 in 3 city employees make more than $100,000...thanks to, again, the liberal wackoism of the city. When a locksmith working for the public school system is making over six figures, with a full pension and rich medical benefits to boot, you know something's wrong.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...MNC51CLUBN.DTL

And that's in 2009, when the economy had collapsed and tons of private sector workers were struggling with pay freezes, cutbacks, layoffs and rampant unemployment. But combine runaway unions with a city government that's never met a tax it didn't love, and that's what you get. ;-) Liberal wackoism at its finest.
  • Reply 40 of 119
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

While I think that this kid, in effect did steal it by trying to sell it to Engadget and Gizmodo, I don't think he should be prosecuted. Everyone is fallible and makes mistakes. He sounds decent if what his lawyer says is true. The evil party is Gizmodo for revealing the Apple engineer's name.

If it was me, though, I would have sent the device back to Apple with a note hoping to get a MBP and the new iPhone when it comes out.

The kid is a greedy a$$. He had no right to the phone, and the fact that he held on to it for a while suggests to me malicious intent. It does not take weeks to decide that it NEEDS to be returned. He knew full well that he was sitting on trade secrets worth thousands. I actual believe that he was underpaid for the gravity of what he was doing. But it's like, when you deal with criminals don't be suppressed if you are the one that gets ripped off.

In this case, Gizmodo, in my mind criminals in this scenario, took advantage of the the kids greed. In turn, the the kid is left holding the bucket, as shield laws may help Gizmodo, but no such luck for the iPhone thief who sold it. He is not a journalist, and shield laws, if applicable to anyone, are are definitely not going to help him.

As a stockholder, and thus partial owner of Apple, I want to see him prosecuted so this does not happen again any time soon, to any tech company. Real money is at stake for this stupid guy's $5000.00 greed - drop in the bucket compared to the damage that this may have caused. And the jury is still out on the latter...