Adobe ships Creative Suite 5 with 64-bit support for Mac

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Adobe on Friday announced that its anticipated Creative Suite 5 product family is now available for shipping or immediate download, with more than 250 new features and, for the first time ever, native 64-bit support for Photoshop, Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects.

Adobe said that Creative Suite 5 will power the creation of content and applications for the upcoming releases of Flash Player 10.1 and Adobe AIR 2, formats that are optimized for high performance on mobile screens and designed to take advantage of native device capabilities.

CS5 also features integration with online content and digital marketing measurement and optimization capabilities for the first time. Access to signature Omniture technologies allows users to capture, store and analyze information generated by websites and other sources. Users will also have complimentary access to CS Live services for a limited time, allowing access to five online services that accelerate key aspects of the creative workflow.

"We've seen from early customer reaction that Creative Suite 5 continues to inspire the design and developer world by combining time-saving workflow and productivity features with astonishing new capabilities, such as Content-Aware Fill in Photoshop CS5, that really push the creative envelope," said John Loiacono, senior vice president of Creative Solutions at Adobe. "Whatever the media, CS5 is ensuring that publishers and creatives can deliver stand-out work and build great businesses around their unique digital assets and content."

Product Family

This release line-up includes the following Creative Suite 5 editions:

Adobe Creative Suite 5 Master Collection ($2599)

Adobe Creative Suite 5 Design Premium ($1899)

Adobe Creative Suite 5 Design Standard ($1299)

Adobe Creative Suite 5 Web Premium ($1799)

Adobe Creative Suite 5 Production Premium ($1699)

Included with the various suite editions are 15 point products, associated technologies and integration with new Adobe CS Live services: (CS Live online services are complimentary for a limited time.)

Photoshop CS5

Illustrator CS5

InDesign CS5

Acrobat 9 Pro

Flash Catalyst CS5

Flash Professional CS5

Flash Builder 4

Dreamweaver CS5

Fireworks CS5

Contribute CS5

Adobe Premiere Pro CS5

After Effects CS5

Encore CS5

Soundbooth CS5

Adobe OnLocation CS5

Adobe Bridge CS5

Adobe Device Central CS5

Adobe Dynamic Link

Comparison Tool

Adobe offers a Creative Suite 5 editions comparison tool that breaks down the components included with each suite edition:

New Features

Among the suites major new features are:

Truer Edge technology in Photoshop CS5 Extended offers improved edge detecting technology and masking results in less time. Photoshop CS5 Extended also lets users remove an image element and immediately replace the missing pixels with Content-Aware Fill.

InDesign CS5 powers the transition to digital publishing with new interactive documents and enhanced eReader device support.

Native 64-bit support in Photoshop, Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects enables customers to work more fluidly on high resolution projects.

New Text Layout Framework in Flash Professional CS5 provides professional-level typography capabilities with functions like kerning, ligatures, tracking, leading, threaded text block and multiple columns.

New stroke options in Illustrator CS5 allow users to create strokes of variable widths and precisely adjust the width at any point along the stroke.

The NVIDIA GPU accelerated Adobe Mercury Playback Engine allows Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 users to open projects faster, refine effects-rich HD sequences in real time and play back complex projects without rendering.

The new Roto Brush tool in After Effects helps users save time by isolating moving foreground elements in a fraction of the normal time.

Dreamweaver CS5 now supports popular content management systems Drupal, Joomla! and WordPress, allowing designers to get accurate views of dynamic Web content from within Dreamweaver.

Adobe CS Live

Adobe Creative Suite 5 Design Premium also integrates with new Adobe CS Live, a set of five online services that accelerate key aspects of the creative workflow and enable designers to focus on creating their best work. CS Live online services are complimentary for a limited time and currently include:

Adobe BrowserLab, a tool for testing Web site content across different browsers and operating systems.

Adobe CS Review, which enables online design reviews directly from within Creative Suite 5 applications.

Access to Acrobat.com services, such as Adobe ConnectNow Web conferencing, to enhance discussion and information exchange with colleagues and clients around the globe.

Adobe Story, a collaborative script writing tool that improves production and post-production workflows in CS5 Production Premium.

SiteCatalyst NetAverages from Omniture, which provides Web usage data that helps reduce the guesswork early in the creative process when designing for Web and mobile.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    Just curious, what does 64 bit support actually mean? Is it or is it not a 64bit application? Or are just bits of it 64bit?
  • Reply 2 of 39
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Saw a video about Photoshop 5´s new healing brush that is simply awesome, it´s smart, removing blemishes in tough areas is as simple as a click, really saves a lot of time.

Also thanks for hanging steady in there Adobe for Mac folks all these years, we know our beloved Steve is a drama king, but he´s playing the emotional sales angle as you already know.
  • Reply 3 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

Also thanks for hanging steady in there Adobe for Mac folks all these years, we know our beloved Steve is a drama king, but he´s playing the emotional sales angle as you already know.

Yes am sure 50% of CS sales had nothing to do with it either......
  • Reply 4 of 39
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markm49uk View Post

Yes am sure 50% of CS sales had nothing to do with it either......

Yea, using CS on a PC does suck, artists do like picking the best tools for the job.

I was talking about the Flash hubba lately, itś off topic, so I´ll stop there.

Note: The trial version of CS 5 is available for download at Adobe, going to check it out myself.
  • Reply 5 of 39
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

Just curious, what does 64 bit support actually mean? Is it or is it not a 64bit application? Or are just bits of it 64bit?

At least in After Effects 64 bit means you can pretty much let After Effects take as much ram as there is ram on your system, where in 32 bit 3GB is the maximum. This could potentially mean a LOT to all of you who work with HD video or huge documents for print.
  • Reply 6 of 39
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    CS4 was a downgrade from CS3. Most definitely the worst purchase I ever made.

My bet is that CS5 strips away the last remnants of macromedia , ignores all Mac UI guidelines leaving a completely alien UI fit for nothing but the bin.
  • Reply 7 of 39
    So, how long till there is a patch for the trial version? Time to start taking bets?
  • Reply 8 of 39
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,462member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

My bet is that CS5 strips away the last remnants of macromedia , ignores all Mac UI guidelines leaving a completely alien UI fit for nothing but the bin.

You must be referring to Flash or Dreamweaver. Are you?

InDesign CS5 has some ground-breaking features, Photoshop too.
  • Reply 9 of 39
    qualarqualar Posts: 72member
    Well having just switched back to Windows after 3 years with Mac due to the 27 iMac problems. I must confess that the Creative suite runs so much better on windows. I found it just never played nice under OSX with pallettes disappearing and many other issues.
  • Reply 10 of 39
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Is there any reason the links in the article are not directly to the adobe site? At the very least macrumors does put up a disclaimer.
  • Reply 11 of 39
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    A bit off-topic: Anyone hear if Adobe Reader will be going 64 bits soon? As of now, you have to run Safari in 32 bit mode if you need the Reader plugin to work with it (yes, there are things that require the Reader plugin).
  • Reply 12 of 39
    Apple reports just sold over 1 million ipads
  • Reply 13 of 39
    Quote:

Adobe just adopted it fully (Cocoa) two weeks ago when they shipped CS5

Well, Adobe InDesign CS5 is still based on Carbon.
  • Reply 14 of 39
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

You must be referring to Flash or Dreamweaver. Are you?

and Fireworks (my preference over photoplop for working with PNG's).

However my gripes with the UI extend to every Adobe product. The only products that were half decent from a UI point of view were the old Macromedia ones.

Alas they have been Adobified now.
  • Reply 15 of 39
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,462member
    Quote:

Alas they have been Adobified now.

• Reply 16 of 39
    Quote:

Round tripping in between the apps is one of the things im most looking forward to
  • Reply 17 of 39
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by qualar View Post

Well having just switched back to Windows after 3 years with Mac due to the 27 iMac problems. I must confess that the Creative suite runs so much better on windows. I found it just never played nice under OSX with pallettes disappearing and many other issues.

Adobe has a record for spending more time with the Windows versions of everything and then just tweaking a few bits to make the Mac compat. This is why the interfaces are 'windows' like and not Mac. And why Jobs called them lazy for not optimizing anything for Mac like they do for Windows.
  • Reply 18 of 39
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rockon52 View Post

Apple reports just sold over 1 million ipads

Off-topic, but can you post a link?
  • Reply 19 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Adobe has a record for spending more time with the Windows versions of everything and then just tweaking a few bits to make the Mac compat. This is why the interfaces are 'windows' like and not Mac. And why Jobs called them lazy for not optimizing anything for Mac like they do for Windows.

Here Here! Well put.

edit:

I just realized you were quoting someone else. Duh.
  • Reply 20 of 39
    Pass. $600 more dollars after I upgraded to CS4 just last year in these difficult economic times?

Wake me when CS6 arrives.