Smartphone sales jump 50%, Apple 3rd largest vendor globally

Comments

• Reply 21 of 70
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

That wasn't a review, it was a rant from a person who has a history of not liking Nokia who happened to "acquire" a pre-released phone

Just the opposite. Mobile-review.com is a highly respected review site and their reviews are quoted by many tech sites around the world.
  • Reply 22 of 70
    Quote:

You mean like how hardly anything in the iPhone is original?

Well, it was the first multi-touch phone, the first phone with a decent media player, the first phone with a successful application store, the first smart phone that did not require any operating instructions, the first smartphone with a good Web browser and it is the only phone in history that maintained a $650 ASP... and they came up with the phone design almost everybody is trying to copy today and they changed the industry (even Nokia people say so).

I can't think of a single other phone maker that could make half as many claims... Nokia is good at making free phones for Happy-Meal bags in developing countries.
  • Reply 23 of 70
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Loks like another Nokia fail.

What's with the nasty OS?

When is Nokia finally going to leave Synbian? It's bloody horrible. Both to use and develop for.

Really? Are you a developer?

As a developer myself, I'd rather develop for Qt (the application framework used by the new version of Symbian) than Cocoa. It's less quirky and more powerful.

And let's not forget that Symbian invented the term 'smartphone'. If you've got a problem with them defining a smartphone as any phone running Symbian, then the problem is with you, not them.
  • Reply 24 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

And let's not forget that Symbian invented the term 'smartphone'. If you've got a problem with them defining a smartphone as any phone running Symbian, then the problem is with you, not them.

Well, I heard the term the first time in 1993 used by IBM reps discussing the Simon. I did not hear it from Nokia until they released the Communicator in 1996. Are you sure about that?
  • Reply 25 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by clexman View Post

Too bad they are losing market share on the PC market.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-20003916-56.html

Unless Apple makes a cheap "disposable" phone, they will never beat Nokia.

The big competition here is Apple and RIM. Both only make Smartphones. That slick iPhone 4G better be slick and cheap. Hopefully Apple will continue to sell the 3G with an on contract list price of $50 or less. If they do the 3G for $50, the 3GS for $100 and 4G for $200, they will really be able to clean up.

It is highly unlikely that Apple will keep selling the 3G after 4.0 is released. They won't want to sell a phone that doesn't support all the latest features. Could you imagine the backlash from people seeing commercials touting multitasking and then buying a 3G that can't do it? It would be a nightmare for Apple.
  • Reply 26 of 70
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

Well, it was the first multi-touch phone, the first phone with a decent media player, the first phone with a successful application store, the first smart phone that did not require any operating instructions, the first smartphone with a good Web browser and it is the only phone in history that maintained a $650 ASP... and they came up with the phone design almost everybody is trying to copy today and they changed the industry (even Nokia people say so).

multi-touch is the only thing in that list that they brought forward.

Media Player - no

app store - no

operating instructions - what?

good web browser - who defined "good"

$650 ASP - You actually bring this up as a good point?

The iPhone has changed very little since the first release, they have been playing catch up on the rest of the industry

Quote:

I can't think of a single other phone maker that could make half as many claims... Nokia is good at making free phones for Happy-Meal bags in developing countries.

You are aware that Nokia still gets paid for those "free phones", and since you can get iPhones free in parts of the world doesn't that place them in the same category of your definition of Nokia?
  • Reply 27 of 70
    Quote:

Well, I heard the term the first time in 1993 used by IBM reps discussing the Simon. I did not hear it from Nokia until they released the Communicator in 1996. Are you sure about that?

Remember this is an Apple site, the definition of an invention is who made it popular, not who developed it.
  • Reply 28 of 70
    Quote:

Just the opposite. Mobile-review.com is a highly respected review site and their reviews are quoted by many tech sites around the world.

I didn't say the site, I referred to the author, all blogs have some poor authors, AI included.
  • Reply 29 of 70
    Quote:

multi-touch is the only thing in that list that they brought forward.

Media Player - no

app store - no

operating instructions - what?

good web browser - who defined "good"

$650 ASP - You actually bring this up as a good point?

The iPhone has changed very little since the first release, they have been playing catch up on the rest of the industry

You are aware that Nokia still gets paid for those "free phones", and since you can get iPhones free in parts of the world doesn't that place them in the same category of your definition of Nokia?

So who was the first with an app store for a phone?

Second, a good web browser is one that doesn't need a "mobile page" just for it to work well.

Maybe the ASP started high, but the iphone has NEVER been on sale. Can't say that for anyone else.

Apple catching up to the rest of the industry? Sure, they added a lot of features that other phones had with the 3GS, but nobody seemed to care of the lack of cut and paste with everything else the iphone offered.
  • Reply 30 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

NTT Docomo

Quote:

Second, a good web browser is one that doesn't need a "mobile page" just for it to work well.

A lot of phones have a web browser that don't need a "mobile page", a lot were available prior to the iPhone being released as well.

Quote:

Maybe the ASP started high, but the iphone has NEVER been on sale. Can't say that for anyone else.

iPhone never been on sale? Maybe you should look around, my local iPhone provider discounts them quite often, you are tied to a ridiculous contract, but they are still discounted from their original contract prices.

Quote:

Apple catching up to the rest of the industry? Sure, they added a lot of features that other phones had with the 3GS, but nobody seemed to care of the lack of cut and paste with everything else the iphone offered.

Or MMS, or video capture etc etc etc
  • Reply 31 of 70
    Quote:

NTT Docomo

A lot of phones have a web browser that don't need a "mobile page", a lot were available prior to the iPhone being released as well.

iPhone never been on sale? Maybe you should look around, my local iPhone provider discounts them quite often, you are tied to a ridiculous contract, but they are still discounted from their original contract prices.

Or MMS, or video capture etc etc etc

NTT Docomo brings up a mobile carrier page???

"A lot of phones have a web browser that don't need a "mobile page", a lot were available prior to the iPhone being released as well."

Who? Certainly not WinMob. Palm had a decent browser, but still couldn't handle as much as mobile Safari could. Neither could mobile opera.

"iPhone never been on sale? Maybe you should look around, my local iPhone provider discounts them quite often, you are tied to a ridiculous contract, but they are still discounted from their original contract prices."

Well I live in the US with Att being the sole provider who never puts the iphone on sale, nor would they have to.
  • Reply 32 of 70
    I wonder what the percentage of AT&T BlackBerries are to iPhones.

Just like to get an idea of what might happen should the iPhone start selling on other carriers.
  • Reply 33 of 70
    jahonenjahonen Posts: 364member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

N8, yawn, been done before:-

And your point was? Again. please try to read what was written and in response to what. The argument was "Nokia doesn't make real smartphones". The N900 and N8 were presented as examples to the contrary. The fact that Ericsson does as well has nothing to do with it.

There are several notable things that the N8 has. One of them is the unsubsidised price point (450 USD). Nobody else brings this amount of features and services at this price point. Before you blast this statement blindly, go and take a look at what's on offer.

I don't think the N8 is enough for a full turnaround, but it is a sign of things to come. It has been known for a long time that it's just an intermediate step before the bigger leap Meego and S^4 devices.

What is really interesting is to see how much new the iPhone HD or whatever it will be called will bring to the table. Will it widen the gap enough or has the competition closed in faster than Apple can open the difference up per year?

Regs, Jarkko
  • Reply 34 of 70
    williamgwilliamg Posts: 322member
    Quote:

AFAIK, these guys have been around as long as the 'web has been around:

http://software.palm.com/us/html/

It wasn until later, shortly after the turn of the century, that the first PalmOS Smartphones came out, however.

So it is my guess that Palm was the first with an app store for a phone.

HTH.
  • Reply 35 of 70
    Quote:

NTT Docomo brings up a mobile carrier page???

And your point is? They provided a mobile app store first.

Also there are Vodafone branded phones around, they don't make them, but they do badge them.

Quote:

Who? Certainly not WinMob. Palm had a decent browser, but still couldn't handle as much as mobile Safari could. Neither could mobile opera.

One company was Nokia, maybe you have heard of them?

Quote:

Well I live in the US with Att being the sole provider who never puts the iphone on sale, nor would they have to.

Well I don't live in the US, and 96% of the worlds population don't live in the US so don't think your little issues effect everyone.
  • Reply 36 of 70
    lostkiwilostkiwi Posts: 639member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

Screw smartphones, real business is done over a couple of whiskeys and a pair of hot call girls.

Can't argue with that!
  • Reply 37 of 70
    Quote:

Hi Folks,

Some comments from a maybe slightly biased ex-Symbian employee and now Nokia emplyee in Symbian Devices.

A smartphone is a blurly line defined by many people in different ways to suit their numbers However, generally it is accepted that is an open platform where you can download applications. Some will say it is to do with multi-tasking. I guess it is a moving target as a Smartphone several years ago was a phone with PIM function.

Symbian is definately a smartphone, and I think people confuse Symbian OS with the what Nokia had been previously doing with UI.

So first the OS, Symbian OS is one of the most optimised OS available in the world today. I has its roots handheld devices, where memory and battery were always the limiting factor. Nothing has changed in all the years of smartphones, we have just put more in. Battery life on Symbian phones (not just Nokia) is still excellent and better than most of the competition, especially when you start turning on the wi-fi and BT. When I use competition phones, doing this means I have to charge every night or my phone is dead next day for sure. So Symbian OS has so much under the hood which is only now starting to be tapped into.

Secondly, the UI. Absolutely, Nokia's UI historically has been rubbish (actually I should say I mean 5th Edition, which has always seemed to me as a keyboard driven UI with touch shell, hence annoying double-touch). The new Symbian^3, which is used by Nokia and open source in the Symbain Foundation, should be thought of as Nokia going back to basics and creating the UI from the ground up. Which as you can imagine for 40millions lines of code this is huge task. Symbian^3 is step one, were we have cleaned up the whole UI, no more annoying prompts, no double-touch, information is more logically gathered. Second step is using Qt for the upper layers of both Symbian and Meego. For Symbian OS this is Symbian^4. The tools for this are far simpler than Symbian, so for most developers this will make a huge difference. Now ports of apps could be days not months. With the launch of the Nokia N8 we have added this Qt software into the N8, so people can develop for N8 and also be developing for future handsets on Symbian^4.

Check out the N8 video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrXHXin9Iio

http://conversations.nokia.com/2010/...ns-tech-blogs/ (see sample picture from 12Mp camera and 720p video samples as taken on the device).

Don't believe me on Qt? Check out this video on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39D-a3OU1Nk

By the way before people think ah he just works for Nokia, of course not always been the case. My biggest surprise when I joined Nokia, there is so much innovation and I had pretty much written Nokia off too, which was perhaps short-sighted of me. I am a big Apple fan, with Apple TV, a Mac, numerous iPods including the touch. But Apple are not invincible and Nokia really has the opportunity with new handsets on Symbian^3 and 4 to show that Nokia is very much alive and still innovating, and I am truely excited on what we are doing.

And this is what I love about the mobile market, the bar is constantly being raised
  • Reply 38 of 70
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by clexman View Post

Unless Apple makes a cheap "disposable" phone, they will never beat Nokia.

If you go by market share. ie. numbers of units sold. Then Apple has a long way to go to "beat" Nokia.

If you go by how much money is made. Apple passed Nokia in the middle of last year.

Which is the more significant metric, is left to the reader.

C.
  • Reply 39 of 70
    lemon bon bon.lemon bon bon. Posts: 2,173member
    Luckily, Apple aren't a 'units' company. They are a 'quality' company.

They're well set to trample on RIM with the launch of RIM. To make sure, a Verizon iPhone will do all the damage Apple needs to RIM and Android. We'll see on the latter score.

iPhone HD. My first iPhone when it hits? I buy. It's the one I've been waiting for. Hopefully, my sale will take Apple over the top to take out RIM for 2nd place.

Nokia? They're bleeding marketshare in the U.S.

It's a matter of time before Apple catch them. At least in terms of Smart Phone sales.

Look at the revenue. (Not the units...)

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 40 of 70
    lemon bon bon.lemon bon bon. Posts: 2,173member

It's terrible. Clunky. It has the elegance of a farmer's daughter doing a cat walk.

12 megapixel camera? Er. So what? With a sensor that small in a smartphone, I doubt you'll notice that much difference between it and a 5 megapixel camera for casual photograph taking. I dunno. Get a Nikon if you want to do 12 megapixels? (Noticed the pinch to make photos bigger...yeesh, let's copy Apple, eh?)

200K apps. A great browser. An elegant UI. The best mobile OS on the planet. Superior hardware design. All the things Apple's iPhone has.

N8? *Shrugs. Is that all they've got?

Not impressed.

I await the iPhone HD with great interest.

Lemon Bon Bon.