Smartphone sales jump 50%, Apple 3rd largest vendor globally

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 70
    jahonenjahonen Posts: 364member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

I think you overstate where Nokia is, and understate where Apple is. There is a huge huge difference between "delivered with high customer satisfaction", and "promising potential coming soon."

Good analysis and points out how much work the competition has ahead of itself. Pretty much similar thoughts in my head. I stated a lot of if's and purposefully emphasised the possibilities and potential that the competitors have to get a thought out response. You provided that. Thanks.

Personally I hope (but don't really believe) that the others manage to catch up well and implement their responses properly so that the competition stays fresh and forces Apple to stay honest as well since then we as the consumer benefit the most.

Qt seems to be the key in Nokia's response. Technically it seems pretty good (on paper and marketing) already, but that's only a third of the story. UI is improving (already good on Maemo, improved on S^3), but these two constitute only half of the whole UX.

Samsung and LG have good enough UIs, but thats all they seem to have. No ecosystem at all. I don't believe Bada will fly. It seems like it's a fast response to the iPhone's ecosystem, not something they've had in their strategy for long thus I don't believe they have any thought out roadmaps on that front.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

And the iPhone platform has iPod touch and iPad benefits. Android might have something usable for Christmas. The others maybe in 2011 when iPad is on version 2. And who knows how Apple might build on this three-headed platform monster?

What's your thoughts then on Meego's possibilities? Remember that Qt targets Meego and Symbian so Apps for one are available for the other. In that respect, there is a huge potential target for the apps. Not just handhelds, also appliances, tablets, car entertainment systems and the like. Yes it's all a promise, but this combination is the only one together with Android that I can see having a chance of reaching critical mass if the execution is done right (a big IF) and giving any competition to Apple.

Regs, Jarkko
  • Reply 62 of 70
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

No, the answer is, and you seem to be sidestepping this after being proved wrong, you claimed HDMI couldn't drive 2Mpix, you are wrong, the spec allows up to a 4k video, much larger than your claim.

It doesn't matter if the displays cost so much, it doesn't matter if they are hard to come by, it doesn't matter if you can't get video as a consumer in that format, what matters is you were wrong, you made a claim and that claim was incorrect, get over it.

When I made the comment I was responding to an ill informed post about HDMI being able to allow phone users to discern a qualitative difference between a 5MPixel image and a 12MPixel image - by using HDMI connected to some display or other.

You jumped in and made your tediously pedantic point.

Well done sir! I hereby award you the medal for a tedious pedantic point well made on an internet forum by cleverly removing the context from the argument. Well played sir!

But when I asked "What display" You have still failed to answer.

C.
  • Reply 63 of 70
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

You are aware that HDMI delivers less than 2M pixels?

C.

Quote:

When I made the comment I was responding to an ill informed post about HDMI being able to allow phone users to discern a qualitative difference between a 5MPixel image and a 12MPixel image - by using HDMI connected to some display or other.

You jumped in and made your tediously pedantic point.

Well done sir! I hereby award you the medal for a tedious pedantic point well made on an internet forum by cleverly removing the context from the argument. Well played sir!

But when I asked "What display" You have still failed to answer.

C.

Just for your reference I quoted your original message, you may have meant something else, but that isn't what you wrote, you may have been referencing something else, but the message you wrong was still wrong. Pedantic, maybe, you being wrong, definitely.

In response to your question, HDMI will transfer a 4k image to any 4k display that supports HDMI 1.4.

And to answer your next question, HDMI is only a video/audio connector, it might have been better if you referred to a display, rather than the cable carrying that image. I have already provided you with two 4k displays, I imagine there will be more to come in years to come, just like displayport, HDMI supports a higher resolution that currently available.
  • Reply 64 of 70
    Quote:

Pedantic, maybe .... definitely.

I have removed some context. To clarify the message.

C.
  • Reply 65 of 70
    Quote:

I have removed some context. To clarify the message.

C.

So you have an issue admitting you are wrong, says alot...
  • Reply 66 of 70
    Quote:

So you have an issue admitting you are wrong, says alot...

I was wrong when I said. HDMI is not capable of delivering >2 Megapixels.

I should have said:

"HDMI connected to any available display is not capable of delivering >2 megapixels"

or I could have said:

"The HDMI connector on the N8 is not capable of delivering >2 megapixels. It is for supporting video-out at 720p."

My error. Mea culpa. Caught by the troll.

C.
  • Reply 67 of 70
    Quote:

I was wrong when I said. HDMI is not capable of delivering >2 Megapixels.

I should have said:

"HDMI connected to any available display is not capable of delivering >2 megapixels"

or I could have said:

"The HDMI connector on the N8 is not capable of delivering >2 megapixels. It is for supporting video-out at 720p."

My error. Mea culpa. Caught by the troll.

C.

Thanks for admitting you were wrong, but I'm sorry you had to spoil it by throwing in some insults, so I take it anyone that disagees you with is a troll? says alot...
  • Reply 68 of 70
    peter02lpeter02l Posts: 85member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post

What about the N900? I've seen some good reviews. And they have a new one, the N8, with the new OS, which has gotten rave reviews:

Is this the phone that is selling like hotcakes in China and India?
  • Reply 69 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by peter02l View Post

Is this the phone that is selling like hotcakes in China and India?

Well since it doesn't get released until later in the year, I doubt it.
  • Reply 70 of 70
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jahonen View Post

Personally I hope (but don't really believe) that the others manage to catch up well and implement their responses properly so that the competition stays fresh and forces Apple to stay honest as well since then we as the consumer benefit the most.

I hope that there will be competition too, but I also think Apple is internally driven to keep improving (well, as long as Jobs is CEO) but the pricing could get out of control.

Quote:

I don't believe Bada will fly. It seems like it's a fast response to the iPhone's ecosystem, not something they've had in their strategy for long thus I don't believe they have any thought out roadmaps on that front.

What's your thoughts then on Meego's possibilities? Remember that Qt targets Meego and Symbian so Apps for one are available for the other. In that respect, there is a huge potential target for the apps. Not just handhelds, also appliances, tablets, car entertainment systems and the like. Yes it's all a promise, but this combination is the only one together with Android that I can see having a chance of reaching critical mass if the execution is done right (a big IF) and giving any competition to Apple.

Agree that Bada seems like an afterthought.

I think I've written here before that Google and Nokia are the biggest threats to Apple. Both are able to write decent software. Both understand the need for owning an OS and platform, though having multiple may be a mistake. Nokia has production, distribution, and carrier relationship efficiencies giving them cost advantages, and huge share in many markets, giving them some time to get it right. Nokia is working with Intel, so there is considerable resources there. Google has a very profitable advertising business allowing them to subsidize handset costs and giving them some time to get it right. And working with multiple hardware vendors at once has some advantages.

So we'll see, quarter by quarter, what happens going forward. Good talkin' to you.