Survey finds 16GB iPad 3G most popular, not viewed as PC replacement

Comments

• Reply 41 of 91
    extremeskaterextremeskater Posts: 2,248member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffreytgilbert View Post

Nothing will speed up the adoption of HTML5. It's not a standard and we haven't even killed off IE6 yet. It will be a niche market for the next 5-10 years.

I totally agree with you which is why I would like to have the option to have Flash on my iPad.

Also for Windows users which still dominate the market at least when it comes to marketshare, Flash is a non issue. As long as it remains a non issue for Windows users it will be around a long time.

Without the coming release of 10.1 its going to be even less of an issue due to hardware acceleration.
  • Reply 42 of 91
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LbrTradr View Post

Okay..... maybe I'm missing something here.... and I'm a big fan of Apple products. If you have the iPad and dump your PC or MacBook how will you get updates for the iPad OS? And if you want to add music from one of your CD's how do you do that? If you want to rip one of your DVD's and add it to your iPad can you? If you want to have a 3rd party program can you download that and run it or are you limited to what Apple says you can have?

You are correct in saying that you can make it a stand alone if you wish but aren't you crippling your computing experience? I have a MacBook and an iPad 3g and can't see not having both to make the iPad experience what it should be.

Maybe they refer to people with a Desktop Mac and a MacBook currently finding one of them superfluous. In my case I find a use for all three ...
  • Reply 43 of 91
    takeotakeo Posts: 446member
    The price jumps for the higher capacity iPads are not worth the money in my books. 16GB is plenty for what is essentially a home and/or satellite device. And it's not like an iPod where you might want to carry your entire music library with you... because it's not something you will carry every day (for most people). And it's also not my main computer... so I wouldn't care to store my entire video collection on it. I see it being used at home mostly (where you can stream from your desktop) or outside the home for meetings, travel, notes, email, games... etc... none of which require much space. If I'm going on a trip... I would just load up two or three movies and some tunes and I'm good to go. Everything else (meeting notes, presentations, photos, apps, ebooks etc.) doesn't take any space
  • Reply 44 of 91
    takeotakeo Posts: 446member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffreytgilbert View Post

Nothing will speed up the adoption of HTML5. It's not a standard and we haven't even killed off IE6 yet. It will be a niche market for the next 5-10 years.

I could not disagree more. IE6 is as good as dead today. And every single browser EXCEPT IE supports most of HTML5 and CSS3. 2010 will be the year of HTML5/CSS3. It's happening. And as someone who owns an iPad... I can tell you that 9 times out of 10... I have no problem playing video on the web. The majority of mainstream websites seem to have updated already.
  • Reply 45 of 91
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vulcan1 View Post

Or they could just double the memory

And lose the opportunity to sell another iPad to the same customer again when they run out of storage?
  • Reply 46 of 91
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

I hard drive would work great for all the tilting and shaking I do while playing games...lol. I would last about a day.

However I do believe that 16gb is a bit small for storage and 32gb should have been base model.

I would also love for one of two things to happen. Apple and Adobe to kiss and make up and allow Flash or freaking speed up the adoption of HTML5. Just too many websites I use on a daily basis that are Flash driven. I am not a lover of Flash I just want to be able to use all the sites I uses on my MBP without have to go from one to the other.

Eventually, the 16GB model will be replaced by the 32GB model.

I've read that a new iPhone/iPad web browser called Skyfire will be submitted for approval. Skyfire will allow you to watch Flash movies on your iPhone/iPad. The way it works is when you access a website with Flash movie the Skyfire peoples server convert it to HTML5 on the fly. How well it is going to work? I have no idea.
  • Reply 47 of 91
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Seems about right. I'm going to be buying the 16GB Wi-Fi model when me Best Buy gift cards get here (I'm cashed out $400 of rewards built up over a two-year period).

I'm getting the 16GB model because:

1) It's relatively cheap

2) I already have a 32GB 3GS, so my music needs are already served -- no need to devote a bunch of space for redundant music.

Mazda-

The iPad is much better than the iPhone for movies, and those take up a lot of space.

You might want to go for 32 G, just so you could rent a bunch of movies prior to going off on a trip, and watch them one by one before you get back.

Thompson
  • Reply 48 of 91
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:

Okay..... maybe I'm missing something here.... and I'm a big fan of Apple products. If you have the iPad and dump your PC or MacBook how will you get updates for the iPad OS? And if you want to add music from one of your CD's how do you do that? If you want to rip one of your DVD's and add it to your iPad can you? If you want to have a 3rd party program can you download that and run it or are you limited to what Apple says you can have?

You are correct in saying that you can make it a stand alone if you wish but aren't you crippling your computing experience? I have a MacBook and an iPad 3g and can't see not having both to make the iPad experience what it should be.

i think it's possible for the ipad to replace a second computer. i don't quite see it being a total replacement for your only computer.

also - since the ipad does not allow for multiple user accounts, i think it's likely that apple counts on multiple purchases within a family, therefore offsetting any cannibalization of macbook purchases. time will tell.
  • Reply 49 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

I totally agree with you which is why I would like to have the option to have Flash on my iPad.

Also for Windows users which still dominate the market at least when it comes to marketshare, Flash is a non issue. As long as it remains a non issue for Windows users it will be around a long time.

Without the coming release of 10.1 its going to be even less of an issue due to hardware acceleration.

hardware acceleration only works on a very limited number of graphic cards. adobe (and apple in this case) still have a long way to go. i wouldn't hold my breath. and i'm not.

i don't think the windows market share is the deciding factor in content providers switching away from flash. apple's customer represent a very tasty slice of the demographic they're after. in the end they're going to go where the money is.
  • Reply 50 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Eventually, the 16GB model will be replaced by the 32GB model.

I've read that a new iPhone/iPad web browser called Skyfire will be submitted for approval. Skyfire will allow you to watch Flash movies on your iPhone/iPad. The way it works is when you access a website with Flash movie the Skyfire peoples server convert it to HTML5 on the fly. How well it is going to work? I have no idea.

Yeah I believe the 16GB model is going to be short lived just like the 4gb iPhone. Skyfire sounds interesting I will have to check it out.
  • Reply 51 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

SNIP

For what Apple is charging for these iPads, there should be a hard drive with more than 160GB in each of them.

i seem to recall everybody expecting the ipad starting at a thousand bucks. i think the unexpected low entry point is going to present a challenge to other manufacturers to come up with a viable alternative. they still want to make money on them, right?
  • Reply 52 of 91
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

It replaced my computer, using a 64gb WiFi here. Also, out of such a small sample, 6% replacing is a pretty good amount.

I know. it was 75 people and yet it is being touted around like it is anything close to a truth.

same with the 50 stores. Plus there's no numbers of how many units there were to start with. Sold out when you started with 500 units is impressive. Sold out when you started with 50, not really
  • Reply 53 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

hardware acceleration only works on a very limited number of graphic cards. adobe (and apple in this case) still have a long way to go. i wouldn't hold my breath. and i'm not.

i don't think the windows market share is the deciding factor in content providers switching away from flash. apple's customer represent a very tasty slice of the demographic they're after. in the end they're going to go where the money is.

On the Windows side it works with most GPU's. Which is why Adobe is really pushing it in 10.1.

I tend to disagree when it comes to marketshare in this case. If most users don't have an issue with Flash on the Windows side its just going to take that much longer for it to go away. Apple is really the only one fighting the Flash issue. Even other mobile devices are going to start taking advantage differnent version of Flash.

In the end really all I care about is that I can access the content I like on the net from my iPad. As an example I use a service called EpixHD. I get it through Charter but you can also stream your videos via the web like Netflix. They are working on an iPad version but dont know how long that is going to take and of course it already works with Flash.

The entire Flash situation is just an annoying issue because Adobe really did ignore Apple for so long when it came to Flash.
  • Reply 54 of 91
    Quote:

i seem to recall everybody expecting the ipad starting at a thousand bucks. i think the unexpected low entry point is going to present a challenge to other manufacturers to come up with a viable alternative. they still want to make money on them, right?

You are correct there were rumors that there was going to be an OLED version that was going to start at 1000.00 and the LCD version of the iPad was going to be about 700.00.

So coming in at 499.00 was well below some of the rumors.
  • Reply 55 of 91
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by allotrope View Post

Is it even possible for the current iPad to operate without a computer? - the first thing you see when you power on a new iPad is a request to connect it to a computer with iTunes on it.. I just plugged it on in, so I'm not sure if this is mandatory.

I'd have to say web browser is smoking fast on my iPad

you have to coinnect it to a computer to start it up. which they will do at the Apple stores. You'll need a computer to get updated OS, some content and certainly to back everything up. but for the actual day to day use, no it won't be connected to a computer

which fits with the fact that it was never pushed by Apple as a replacement to a computer. to a laptop if those are the only functions you use perhaps. but the idea was always to have some kind of computer in the system.
  • Reply 56 of 91
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    Which means the petition for a smaller MacBook Air remains. Sign here:

http://macbookair10.net/
  • Reply 57 of 91
    donlphidonlphi Posts: 214member
    I bought the 64GB Wifi+3G iPad this past Saturday and found the device to be a lot better at home than the "messing around" at the store.

As much as I love the device for checking blogs and reading newspaper articles, I have to say it is still missing the "chill" factor. I find that it is a bit heavier than I had originally anticipated, so I can't just relax and use the device. It feels slippery in my hands and typing is still a bit of chore as I am not used to it yet. I must say, I don't miss the flash content much, but it would be nice to watch videos people post on Facebook.

I'm also having issues with how it works like an iPhone on some websites, but acts like a regular browser for other website.

The missing camera doesn't let me do the video conferencing with family, so I'm still attached to my laptop for that. The direct access to storage plays another factor in the replacement issue.

I'm hoping iPad OS 4.0 will fix a lot of the organization issues I have with this thing.
  • Reply 58 of 91
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

The price jumps for the higher capacity iPads are not worth the money in my books. 16GB is plenty for what is essentially a home and/or satellite device.

Fortunately, you're not designing things for Apple.

64 GB is already getting pretty full on mine. I have 32 GB of music, 5 GB of photos, and 15 GB of video already. It's getting close to the point where I'll have to start carrying limited selections. I really like the idea of having my entire collection with me.

Quote:

hardware acceleration only works on a very limited number of graphic cards. adobe (and apple in this case) still have a long way to go. i wouldn't hold my breath. and i'm not. .

That's one of the really sad things about this entire affair. If Adobe had just chosen to use the hardware acceleration APIs provided by Apple (OpenCL, OpenGL, CoreVideo, etc), they would already be taking advantage of hardware acceleration on any card supported by Apple. Any time Apple added a new card, Flash would automatically benefit. Instead, Adobe insisted on having direct access to the hardware - so now we're limited to hardware acceleration on 3 video cards. BFD.

Of course, it doesn't matter to me because I almost never have to watch Flash video. When I'm on YouTube, I use the html 5 version.

Quote:

Okay..... maybe I'm missing something here.... and I'm a big fan of Apple products. If you have the iPad and dump your PC or MacBook how will you get updates for the iPad OS? And if you want to add music from one of your CD's how do you do that? If you want to rip one of your DVD's and add it to your iPad can you? If you want to have a 3rd party program can you download that and run it or are you limited to what Apple says you can have?.

Yes, you're missing something. You're assuming that all iPad users are like you.

Granted, there are some who want to do all those things - and they'll almost certainly already have a computer which can do those tasks and transfer the info to the iPad.

OTOH, there are plenty of other users who simply want an email/web/Netflix device and don't care about ripping DVDs or anything like that. If they even have a computer, they're the type of people who are still running Mac OS X 10.3 because that's what came with the computer. Contrary to popular belief, there's no law that you must constantly update the OS in your device.

Not to mention that if there's a good reason why they MUST update their iPad OS, they can probably find a friend to do it or get the AppleStore to do it for them.
  • Reply 59 of 91
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thompr View Post

Mazda-

The iPad is much better than the iPhone for movies, and those take up a lot of space.

You might want to go for 32 G, just so you could rent a bunch of movies prior to going off on a trip, and watch them one by one before you get back.

Thompson

I currently only have 1 movie on my 32GB iPhone 3GS, and that's The Hangover. It only weighs in at 1.44GB. And the only reason why I even have the Hangover is because it was a free Digital Copy with the Blu-ray. I've never bought/rented a movie from iTunes and don't plan on doing it in the future either.

Even if I did want to watch more movies, iPad 16GB Wi-Fi + Jailbroken iPhone 3GS + MyWi Wi-Fi tethering + Netflix for iPad = GOLD
  • Reply 60 of 91
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I hope Apple will make it easy to run as a lone device, including getting OS updates across wifi. People talk about the iPad cannibalizing MacBook sales but I am not sure that would happen. The opposite could be true, that as people find the iPad is not powerful enough they opt for a MB or iMac as a second computer. I am also sure that the iPad may replace a desktop or laptop in many households but in the form of multiple iPads. Instead of spending a grand on an iMac a family might buy several iPads.

There certainly seems to be a new category opening up with the iPad. It looks like many older people and others not really into computing are finding this to be an fairly ideal device for their limited needs. Maybe with v4.0 Apple will allow OTA updates and all this to be a stand-alone device, but I doubt it.