Survey finds 16GB iPad 3G most popular, not viewed as PC replacement

Comments

• Reply 61 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PastorOfMuppets View Post

I got the 64GB model as that is all the Apple Store had left at the time. (which may speak to what the most "popular" models were). If I had my choice, I would've gone for the 32. I can't imagine ever filling this thing up, though for long overseas trips it will be handy to have a large number of movies queued up. You can never really have too much storage, right?

Exactly. I went for 64 G. My excuse was that I have kids of different ages, who all need different music and videos (did I just say "need"?) for our frequent inter-continental flights. Dora the Explorer, Imagination Movers, Anpanman and Astroboy, Indiana Jones, Avatar... I'll run out of my 64 GB in no time.

Plus, I have a mysterious ability to fill in any space I have.

I stayed WiFi only, as I really want to control my monthly spending. Switzerland is tiny; every trip is "abroad" with massive data roaming fees.
  • Reply 62 of 91
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Yeah I believe the 16GB model is going to be short lived just like the 4gb iPhone. Skyfire sounds interesting I will have to check it out.

Well, unlike the 4GB iPhone the 16GB iPad is popular. My point was Apple will replace the 16GB iPad with the next update like they always did with the iPhone and iPod Touch.
  • Reply 63 of 91
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

Someone with a PC might consider the iPad an inexpensive way to enter the Apple world and see what it is all about, as the iPod before it.

As far as your troll comment, these are issues that matter to normal people.

I can see it as a gateway device. After using it, they may wish to try other Apple products. However I don't think many people will purchase it to get a cheap mac. If you ask the average person on the street what an iPad is, they will probably say it's like a big iPhone or iPod Touch, and they will generally say that in a positive manner. So their expectations are not the same as what you are assuming.

Ask that same person what they think about tethering and they will probably ask you what that is. It does matter to me, but I plan on unlocking my iPhone to get it. The people that care about it are the ones who can also get around it and most have never heard of it. Glare? It's a tablet, not a laptop, readjust its position. The glossy iPhone screen is incredibly easy to see in daylight when positioned properly and the vast majority of customers have already shown that they don't mind glossy screened laptops. Why would it suddenly become a major hindrance in the sales of the iPad? AT&T may be your most valid point, but it wouldn't be a problem if more US cell providers used the most common worldwide standard. When the iPad comes to Canada, I'll have 4 national carriers to choose from.

You may be "normal", but don't confuse "normal" with "average" or "typical". It is those demographics that drive sales, not the needs of the technically inclined minority.

Tethering would be a nice feature, but is it critical to the iPads success? No. The same goes for a matte option or a version compatible with more US networks.

I've expended too much time on these topics. They are troll topics. They've been shown time and time again to not have a major impact on sales. They'd be great features, but they are not make or break features to most people. That fact wont change regardless of how many times people bring them up on these boards.
  • Reply 64 of 91
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffreytgilbert View Post

Nothing will speed up the adoption of HTML5.

don't be so sure about that. having major sites like youtube and major companies like Microsoft jump in the HTML5 bandwagon could be just the thing to push adoption ahead

Quote:

Also for Windows users which still dominate the market at least when it comes to marketshare, Flash is a non issue. As long as it remains a non issue for Windows users it will be around a long time.

You really think missing out on several million viewers doesn't matter to content sources

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Eventually, the 16GB model will be replaced by the 32GB model.

of course it will. prices on the memory are going down. Next round they will have 32, 64 and whatever at the same prices.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by donlphi View Post

I don't miss the flash content much, but it would be nice to watch videos people post on Facebook.

Facebook is already converting to HTML5 so that issue won't last long
  • Reply 65 of 91
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:

On the Windows side it works with most GPU's. Which is why Adobe is really pushing it in 10.1.

I tend to disagree when it comes to marketshare in this case. If most users don't have an issue with Flash on the Windows side its just going to take that much longer for it to go away. Apple is really the only one fighting the Flash issue. Even other mobile devices are going to start taking advantage differnent version of Flash.

In the end really all I care about is that I can access the content I like on the net from my iPad. As an example I use a service called EpixHD. I get it through Charter but you can also stream your videos via the web like Netflix. They are working on an iPad version but dont know how long that is going to take and of course it already works with Flash.

The entire Flash situation is just an annoying issue because Adobe really did ignore Apple for so long when it came to Flash.

i'm not with you on the market share issue. this isn't a case of 'we hit most users', but it's a case of 'we're missing out on users we really want'. the fact that many sites are ditching flash already may be an indication that apple has bigger pull than market share would suggest.

i agree with you that it would be nice to have the option, but with adobe's history of delivering a decent implementation for non-windows users, i don't think they can pull it off for mobiles. i'd be happy to be proven wrong, but i do think that adobe has missed the boat. by the time they get around to actually releasing a usable version (that will likely not work on mobile devices on the market now) it'll be too late.

the desktop is a different question. i wish they'd put some resources behind their mac development, but frankly don't see that happen either. for adobe it's just a checkmark on a feature list: mac version - check! they don't care how bad it is, as long as they can claim it exists.

in the end the decision to use flash is up to the people that are after our eyeballs.
  • Reply 66 of 91
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Um thinks only a penny per 100k units? That is a 14% margin... where is he coming up with this stuff. Worst-case, each 100k should give $0.02 per share earnings surprise, and that is on an ASP of $630.

Assuming a strong international launch this month, Apple should be able to sell 3MM iPads. With a bit of luck (and maybe a June launch of the new iPhone), they should easily hit $3.25 EPS
  • Reply 67 of 91
    ranreloadedranreloaded Posts: 397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by glenncal View Post

I wonder whether the 6% who think it'll replace their computer will be disappointed.

Reports say that Techstud was seen among them
  • Reply 68 of 91
    benicebenice Posts: 382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

Personally, my printing is done by emailing to a gmail account I made specifically for this and print from my desktop. Others I know use one of the many available apps to print from their wireless printers. File storage I'm assuming means documents and photos, both of which are stored within my apps and are transferred by email, card reader, or Internet after the initial sync. It is possible to use as your only computer, but not completely practical for power users. Living at home with a desktop and at school with computer labs makes my need for owning another computer disappear. It definitely can negate the need for a laptop, if one has a desktop. Dependent on your mother-in-law's age, it could be her only computer. The only thing a separate computer is needed for is initial syncing and updates (which may come over the air for all we know). File storage would be the final reason for a separate computer. In conclusion, using an iPad instead of a laptop in a household that already has a desktop, is perfectly feasible. Using an iPad to replace all computers, a select group can do. My final advice would be to ask, will you regret your decision either way after a month? For me, that answer is absolutely not.

Interesting to read. The take I get from this is that as long as there is some ocassional access to another computer (desktop, laptop) for initial sync and possibly for updates if they don't do OTA, you can really do a lot of the things you need to do.

I was interested to read about printing from and found some of the printing apps like Air Sharing HD for example. To me this is essential functionality even though it's a bit expensive. I was interested in whether anyone been able to print to a Airport Express connected printer from this or one of the other printing apps?
  • Reply 69 of 91
    normmnormm Posts: 653member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

How do you deal with printing and file storage? It won't replace any computers in my house but it would be ideal for my mother in law. If she needs to keep her ageing laptop (XP) in order to sync with iTunes the project is a dead duck. Is is possible to own an iPad as the only computer? Pray tell.

Try the "Air Sharing" app for storage and printing. It can start up other apps to open files that it stores (this is a general feature of OS 3.2). It can also store files for other apps. For example, if you download a zip file in Safari, it opens up and stores in Air Sharing.

There doesn't seem to be any way to update or restore the iPad without connecting it to a computer, but that's a pretty rare event and you can probably handle that for your mother in law.
  • Reply 70 of 91
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by glenncal View Post

Depending on the question asked, it makes sense that 94% of them said it's not a computer replacement. Apple never claimed it would be one. It might decrease computer usage in some areas, but for most users (especially those who are enthusiastic enough to go buy it on the first day) it definitely can't replace it entirely. In fact, I wonder whether the 6% who think it'll replace their computer will be disappointed.

Edit: Of course, being from Europe I might be entirely wrong as demonstrated by Smiles77 ;-)

When asking people who have yet to use it, I think it makes sense too that the number is high. But after people use it, I'm thinking this number will decrease.

And if the survey asks, "has iPad COMPLETELY replaced your notebook?", then the answer will be lower. But I'm thinking that the question will be more like "has iPad replaced your notebook?", in which cases most people will think it has replaced it for most tasks, and reply yes.
  • Reply 71 of 91
    Most people prefer paying for the WiFi model...very few want it to replace their standard laptop or MacBook. Exactly the results Apple wants to hear, I think. This is viewed as another media device, not replacing the MacBook or iPhone. In college I bring my MacBook to a lot of my classes, but once I'm in the workforce with a work computer, dragging an iPad around to take notes, etc with non government internet? Seems like a pretty good option.
  • Reply 72 of 91
    extremeskaterextremeskater Posts: 2,248member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

You really think missing out on several million viewers doesn't matter to content sources

A few million is nothing. Even more so when Windows users are not effected in fact most have no idea about the difference between Flash and HTML5. Also many Apple users simply use Firefox.

With something like this there is always a risk this could backfire on Apple. Who says users won't get tired of the lack of Flash and stop buying the iPad. A spike in sales at launch is typical doesn't mean its going to go up it could drop off.

I have used the iPad for a while now and while I like it for some things it lacks a good bit of options. Some will be resolved with 4.0 but some won't.
  • Reply 73 of 91
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

With something like this there is always a risk this could backfire on Apple. Who says users won't get tired of the lack of Flash and stop buying the iPad. A spike in sales at launch is typical doesn't mean its going to go up it could drop off.

The same thing was said about the iPhone (and iPod Touch )and yet Apple is the most profitable handset maker in the world. A similar thing was also stated about the iPod not having things like an FM receiver like other MP3 players that technically look better on spec sheets and yet the iPod still managed to become a natural monopoly. So far, it looks like the iPad has sold more units in a month than the tablet computing market did for the entirety of 2009. Wanting Flash to play Netflix or ABC.com when a native app s faster, looks nicer, and is less resource hungry is much more appealing to customers at large than a Flash 10.1 plug in that is wonky in execution on a touchscreen, prone to crash and heavy on battery use.
  • Reply 74 of 91
    extremeskaterextremeskater Posts: 2,248member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The same thing was said about the iPhone (and iPod Touch )and yet Apple is the most profitable handset maker in the world. A similar thing was also stated about the iPod not having things like an FM receiver like other MP3 players that technically look better on spec sheets and yet the iPod still managed to become a natural monopoly. So far, it looks like the iPad has sold more units in a month than the tablet computing market did for the entirety of 2009. Wanting Flash to play Netflix or ABC.com when a native app s faster, looks nicer, and is less resource hungry is much more appealing to customers at large than a Flash 10.1 plug in that is wonky in execution on a touchscreen, prone to crash and heavy on battery use.

Well seeing I never said anything about the iPod or Touch I can't comment on what others have said.

However because this is an Apple forum everyone thinks Apple is going to come out on top on this issue, they might but there is always the risk they may not. That was my only point.

I don't "want" Flash to play anything the reality is Flash still dominates the internet and as long as that is the case the end user will be limited by the iPad. That is a simple fact. When I have to wait for an HTML5 option to come around I might be willing to do something like that but many less technical end users are not. They simply want it to work they could care less about the Flash/HTML5 war/issue whatever you want to tag it.

We both know Flash is not going away anytime soon and my only point is while I enjoy the iPad its a pain at times because of the lack of Flash support. When I have to put down my iPad and go to my notebook to view something on the net that doesn't make my life easier or more enjoyable. Which is the goal of technology.
  • Reply 75 of 91
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Seems about right. I'm going to be buying the 16GB Wi-Fi model when me Best Buy gift cards get here (I'm cashed out $400 of rewards built up over a two-year period).

I'm getting the 16GB model because:

1) It's relatively cheap

2) I already have a 32GB 3GS, so my music needs are already served -- no need to devote a bunch of space for redundant music.

You do realize that your "Reward Zone" coupons expire shortly after they are issued. So if you don't redeem them shortly after they are issued after a purchase, you lose them. You can't keep them built up for over two years. You might want to log into your Reward Zone account and make sure.
  • Reply 76 of 91
    takeotakeo Posts: 446member
    Quote:

There certainly seems to be a new category opening up with the iPad. It looks like many older people and others not really into computing are finding this to be an fairly ideal device for their limited needs. Maybe with v4.0 Apple will allow OTA updates and all this to be a stand-alone device, but I doubt it.

Ha ha ha. That may be so... but I'm a web designer / developer with a 27" iMac + a 27" external monitor. I run my own LAMP stack and have a collection of virtual machines for browser testing. I code PHP, Ruby and JS.. I'm a huge WordPress geek and have been known to spend hours on the Codex researching functions. I love CSS/HTML. A List Apart is the first link in my collection of feeds. And design. I really love graphic design... both print and web. I lose track of time when I'm working on a new website design in Photoshop. And yes... I have an iPad. And I LOVE it!!!! It's perfect for my "limited needs". LOL. I don't disagree with you... I'm just saying that the iPad is not just for luddites.
  • Reply 77 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffreytgilbert View Post

Hadn't thought about it that way, but yea I guess you really dont need a ton of space for it since it's not as portable as the phones and has no camera for recording video or pictures. I still don't want one as it's relatively useless, but i can see how people would want something to browse the web from the couch. I just cant understand why you'd pay 500$ to do that if you already have a laptop.

+1.

Of course 14% of the people are really crazy and spent $829 for the 64GB iPad. And they also are willing to pay top dollar and buy it at the Apple Store! After they pay sales tax on their Apple Store purchase, they could have purchased a much more useful and powerful MacBook from Amazon for less than $100 more. I guess Apple really can sell refrigerators to eskimos! This is the first Apple device that I have absolutely no reason to buy. Even my 8 year old PowerBook G4 can do more than an iPad. But I guess if you have money to burn and want to look like Captain Picard with his tablet device, than knock yourself out. But don't cry foul when Apple slashes the prices on these things. One thing that isn't being told is how many of them are being returned. I guess the refurb section of the Apple Store will answer that question shortly.
  • Reply 78 of 91
    takeotakeo Posts: 446member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Fortunately, you're not designing things for Apple.

What!? I never said that Apple shouldn't have made a 64GB model. Obviously there will be people who want that extra storage and can use it. I'm simply saying that I think for MOST people... 16GB will be plenty. And this article bears that out. Most people (most... not all) probably look at the iPad as a satellite device... not something you would store your entire media collection on and carry with you everywhere.
  • Reply 79 of 91
    Quote:

There certainly seems to be a new category opening up with the iPad. It looks like many older people and others not really into computing are finding this to be an fairly ideal device for their limited needs. Maybe with v4.0 Apple will allow OTA updates and all this to be a stand-alone device, but I doubt it.

What did you base this on? Did you stand in line and count how many old people there were? If they aren't really into computing, than they would have no interest in an iPad either. Apple won't allow over the air network upgrades when the OS is a full release at 250+ MB. For the past three years, they have never released a "patch" style update. So you will need a computer with iTunes to be able to apply updates.
  • Reply 80 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

It's a complementary device, not a replacement, which is exactly what this article paints it as. Users aren't buying it with the expectation that it will replace their PC.

According to one comment, 6% of the buyers are dumb enough to actually think it can replace a computer.