Internet Explorer web browser use drops below 60%

Comments

• Reply 41 of 67
    jonnyboyjonnyboy Posts: 525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

Plan to buy my mom an iPad this summer, get her off her old Windows/IE computer... so that will be one less person using IE.

I prefer Firefox and sometimes Safari (on Windows), good news for all the non-IE browsers.

why not install ubuntu? wasn't hard to convert my mum - just point her in the direction of firefox and good to go
  • Reply 42 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lales View Post

I find Firefox considerably slower than Safari on a 2009 MBP. Also, blur texxt in what what way? I did a side by side comparison of this exact page between the two browsers, and apart from multi-quote and quick reply, I saw NO difference whatsoever.

However it does surprise me more than a little that Chrome surpassed Safari in market share so quickly. Also that more Apple users don't defer to Safari rather Firefox (whose ONLY positive in my mind is the plug-in search capabilities).

Since I haven't experience blurry text with Safari, it seems like a no brainer.

firefox on mac is slow to open up, but performs well, at least on mine
  • Reply 43 of 67
    williamgwilliamg Posts: 322member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I wasn't suggesting that mobile browsing accounts for a high percentage of the overall traffic to sites, but that the number of devices using a WebKit-based browser is very high and growing very fast that developer ignore WebKit, as was done previously.

All the graphs for the webkit browsers are superimposed over each other down near the zero point.

My guess is that IE and Firefox are what's most important to web developers.
  • Reply 44 of 67
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post

All the graphs for the webkit browsers are superimposed over each other down near the zero point.

My guess is that IE and Firefox are what's most important to web developers.

Yeah, because IE and Firefox have such great penetration on smartphones and PMPs. Go spread your FUD elsewhere.
  • Reply 45 of 67
    wplj42wplj42 Posts: 439member
    While testing W7 RC, I too found Safari for Windows to be blurry. Anyone who knows me, knows I'm the King of blurry eyesight. Safari on Windows actually loaded slower than Firefox. I use Safari because the other browsers don't work with speech. My favorite browser would have to be the upcoming Minefield. In a recent article, IE was considered the safest choice. For me, IE is sort of clunky, taking some getting use to. Every other browser lets you use Command or Control + L to get to the address bar. All but IE. Go figure. As solipsism said earlier, sometimes integration with the OS is nice. So you have Safari for Mac, and IE for Windows. When changing the DPI in W7 RC to 125%, IE played right along without hesitation.
  • Reply 46 of 67
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    Quote:

From the looks of that, IE and Firefox are the only browsers that matter. The Apple browser gets lost in the shuffle of lines down near zero.

I think that would be the case if the Firefox upward slope matched the IE downward slope, but in fact the Firefox increase is slower than IE's decrease, meaning those shuffle of lines down near zero must cumulatively be having quite the effect.

Unless Windows 7 mobile really helps Microsoft fight back, I don't see the IE trend reversing. I think mobile devices are increasingly going to be the route people take to consume the web, and Microsoft just don't seem to have a decent offering there at the moment. Even on netbooks that use Windows, I've found Chrome works much better than IE (and Firefox out of the box, though I assume if I knew anything about skins I could change this), due to IE's relatively inefficient use of screen real estate.
  • Reply 47 of 67
    nasdarqnasdarq Posts: 137member
    Switched to Chrome for Mac in December; never looked back. MUCH more reliable than Safari, while not less speedy. Have also used Firefox for some time, but find it significantly slower than both Chrome and Safari, while prone to crashes too.

Google will command 20% next year, mark my words.

And I would like Safari to do better in terms of its share next year, but I'm afraid it won't ...
  • Reply 48 of 67
    .mac.mac Posts: 44member
    firfox is good.. no complaints
  • Reply 49 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

The next decade should be very interesting. Considering the iPad has such a head start in the marketplace and since it could conceivably become a full blown computer, one could see Safari/ mobile Safari becoming the dominant browser.

The only thing keeping mobile Safari strong is an arbitrary restriction by Apple to open up which won't hold long for legal reasons. The moment Apple are forced to open up the marketplace of their devices to every mobile browser (and not just the super-buggy Opera mini, which, I agree, sucks big time), Safari's influence will dwindle.
  • Reply 50 of 67
    filburtfilburt Posts: 398member
    Quote:

However it does surprise me more than a little that Chrome surpassed Safari in market share so quickly. Also that more Apple users don't defer to Safari rather Firefox (whose ONLY positive in my mind is the plug-in search capabilities).

Under Mac OS X, Safari is lightweight and very fast.

Like every single Apple applications written for Windows, Safari for Windows hugely pales in comparison to Mac OS X counterpart. It feels much slower in real world situations when compared to Chrome. And there's Flash, which doesn't work very well, even vs. IE.

Plus, there are many cross platform plugins now available for Chrome, which makes it a no brainer that it's gaining marketshare so quickly. Most of my techie coworkers and colleagues prefer Chrome over Firefox.
  • Reply 51 of 67
    Coincidentally, Google just released a Beta for Chrome 5 that increases performance substantially over the current version. it also adds new app features.
  • Reply 52 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by filburt View Post

Under Mac OS X, Safari is lightweight and very fast.

Like every single Apple applications written for Windows, Safari for Windows hugely pales in comparison to Mac OS X counterpart. It feels much slower in real world situations when compared to Chrome. And there's Flash, which doesn't work very well, even vs. IE.

Plus, there are many cross platform plugins now available for Chrome, which makes it a no brainer that it's gaining marketshare so quickly. Most of my techie coworkers and colleagues prefer Chrome over Firefox.

From testing I've seen on AnandTech the built-in browsers are more efficient when it comes to power usage. That means Safari on Mac OS X and (surprisingly) IE on Windows. So if you want to get the most out of your battery usage, say on a long flight with WiFi, you may want to use those browsers.
  • Reply 53 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DayRobot View Post

Chrome is a bit buggy in that regard. Can't even bookmark links by right (option) clicking on them... Can't delete individual history items without typing in the address in the address bar, then pressing Shift + Delete while pointing at that option with the mouse. Can't move text around a text box by selecting it and dragging to a new spot (glaring bug!)... It's definitely half-baked. But rendering bugs, which are few, are the same in both.

That's why the current Chrome for Mac is still called 'beta'. But even these early small bugs notwithstanding, it crashes much less than either Safari or Firefox, and that's it for me.

And if you want to be selective about features they offer, Chrome already does so many things that make it more ergonomic than anything I've seen. I absolutely love the downloading feature with lower tabs, the black/gray http address showing, the same window for address and search etc.
  • Reply 54 of 67
    wplj42wplj42 Posts: 439member
    It probably means very little, but Firefox seems to be the default browser for Linux. Unless you are willing to dive into Wine, there is no option for IE or Safari. With either Ubuntu or Linux Mint, Firefox is nice. Google Chrome works very well. I don't care what OS it is on, I don't like Opera. Most people know me as a displeased Mac OS user. Not being able to use speech outside of Safari is just one of many reasons. Except for Opera, Safari is my least favorite. Ease of use keeps me using applications that are Mac OS friendly. Strange how most of them belong to Apple. MS is just as bad. Its all in the game, I suppose.
  • Reply 55 of 67
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:

I find Firefox considerably slower than Safari on a 2009 MBP. Also, blur texxt in what what way? I did a side by side comparison of this exact page between the two browsers, and apart from multi-quote and quick reply, I saw NO difference whatsoever.

Since I haven't experience blurry text with Safari, it seems like a no brainer.

google pushes chrome ads on all of their properties, so i'm not surprised that they made quick gains. i also wasn't surprised that google installs an automatic updater and no obvious way to turn it off.

toss!
  • Reply 56 of 67
    capnbobcapnbob Posts: 388member
    Quote:

Microsoft sells the OS that powers 90 percent of the world's PCs. There is no indication whatsoever that is going to change anytime soon.

Of course you are right but that share was over 96% a few years ago.
  • Reply 57 of 67
    capnbobcapnbob Posts: 388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nasdarq View Post

The only thing keeping mobile Safari strong is an arbitrary restriction by Apple to open up which won't hold long for legal reasons. The moment Apple are forced to open up the marketplace of their devices to every mobile browser (and not just the super-buggy Opera mini, which, I agree, sucks big time), Safari's influence will dwindle.

Who else is going to make one? Mozilla? Probably not. Fennec is already struggling with Symbian and Mozilla will probably collapse if Google pulls their funding. MS? Never... Little guys like Camino? Won't matter, no-one will use them on mobile either. Chrome? Probably since Google will want to stick it to Apple. So your plea for competiton is basically going to lead to just an extension of the apple-google fight. BFD!
  • Reply 58 of 67
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chewbacca-What-A-Wookie View Post

If, as you suggest, their time is up, it may take quite some time for them to fall.

Of course they won't up and cease to exist. The point I was atempting to make is that they no longer have the power to influence what happens next. If Microsoft were to announce that it was introducing some new graphic or audio format no one would feel threatened or even care. There was a time when, if that happened, everyone would feel compelled to support it for fear of being left out in the cold. That no longer happens.

The ability to dictate the future no longer resides with Microsoft.
  • Reply 59 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nasdarq View Post

I don't understand your post. Safari isn't the only browser allowed on iPhone OS. There is virtually an unlimited number of browsers that are allowed. Many apps even have them specifically so you can browser without leaving the app while others are sold as stand alone browsers specifically to offer features that mobileSafari doesn't offer, like tabs. What isn't allowed is other browser engines and won't change anytime soon for several reasons.
  • Reply 60 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I don't understand your post. Safari isn't the only browser allowed on iPhone OS. There is virtually an unlimited number of browsers that are allowed. Many apps even have them specifically so you can browser without leaving the app while others are sold as stand alone browsers specifically to offer features that mobileSafari doesn't offer, like tabs. What isn't allowed is other browser engines and won't change anytime soon for several reasons.

Of course I meant there were no proper browsers with engines (and not all iPhone apps with browsing capabilities ...). Opera mini seems to be the only exception so far. I would like to see Fenec and especially Chrome (since it is already superior to anything on desktops, imho), and maybe even a mini IE version.