Internet Explorer web browser use drops below 60%

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 67
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nasdarq View Post

Of course I meant there were no proper browsers with engines (and not all iPhone apps with browsing capabilities ...). Opera mini seems to be the only exception so far. I would like to see Fenec and especially Chrome (since it is already superior to anything on desktops, imho), and maybe even a mini IE version.

The rules are quite clear on "interpreted code". Plus, the only option that seems to be even viable for a mobile OS is Chrome which uses WebKit, but a different engine for JS which isn't doesn't seem to be much of a factor on ARM.

Firefox isn't even a good argument as it's still in a pre-Alpha — whatever the hell that means — state for Android. Neither is IE.

Opera is the only real alternative for a mobile OS for a WebKit-based browser and even that pales in comparison. Also, Opera Mini isn't an exception since it's a server-side browser. The only thing I'm surprised about is why Skyfire didn't jump on this two years ago.
  • Reply 62 of 67
    dayrobotdayrobot Posts: 133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nasdarq View Post

Of course I meant there were no proper browsers with engines (and not all iPhone apps with browsing capabilities ...). Opera mini seems to be the only exception so far. I would like to see Fenec and especially Chrome (since it is already superior to anything on desktops, imho), and maybe even a mini IE version.

Hey, i wanna see what you are smoking there

IE mobile is based on IE6!

Not sure why you'd want it...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Capnbob View Post

Who else is going to make one? Mozilla? Probably not. Fennec is already struggling with Symbian and Mozilla will probably collapse if Google pulls their funding. MS? Never... Little guys like Camino? Won't matter, no-one will use them on mobile either. Chrome? Probably since Google will want to stick it to Apple. So your plea for competiton is basically going to lead to just an extension of the apple-google fight. BFD!

Actually, there's Fennec on Maemo (Nokia's mobile linux dist), and it's quite good

WebKit seems better for mobile though...

Camino is Gecko, so it's repackaged Firefox's with a shiny Safari-like GUI..

If Chrome were to be on the iPhone, that'd just be another Safari wrapper, just like iCab is... they'd know better than to do that

Dan
  • Reply 63 of 67
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    The numbers as we all know are very different for the mobile devices. The market is changing fast and the future is mobile computing. The graph of current web browsing habits will resemble one showing the usage of 8-Track versus cassettes in a few years when we look back.
  • Reply 64 of 67
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Coincidentally, Google just released a Beta for Chrome 5 that increases performance substantially over the current version. it also adds new app features.

Thanks for link. Got it and it is pretty nippy on a Mac Pro but alas my old faithful iBook G4 which i use for casual browsing can't run it as no PPC version. I am stuck with Safari and ClicktoFlash (Flash literally kills the poor thing).
  • Reply 65 of 67
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

google pushes chrome ads on all of their properties, so i'm not surprised that they made quick gains. i also wasn't surprised that google installs an automatic updater and no obvious way to turn it off.

toss!

Yeah the new Chrome is pretty slick actually, even thought the Tab window bar is a bit annoying. But what the hell I HATE crapware that installs crap in crevices of OS X that I can't turn off or get rid of. Anyone know how to rid OS X of Google crapware updates for Earth/Chrome et al.?
  • Reply 66 of 67
    bobkellerbobkeller Posts: 1member
    For me, Firefox definitely slows down and starts to hang if I have several windows open with multiple tabs. I sometimes have to restart the browser.
  • Reply 67 of 67
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobkeller View Post

For me, Firefox definitely slows down and starts to hang if I have several windows open with multiple tabs. I sometimes have to restart the browser.

happens to me on both Mac and Win. mem and cpu use keep creeping up relentlessly.

the problem often seems to be curbed with a new full point release (which at times explicitly promises better resource mgmt.), but it always returns. I restart FF on my Win machine daily now (or more often), before it hangs the system, and on my Mac at least every few days.