WSJ: Federal antitrust probe about Apple's iAd service, too

Comments

• Reply 61 of 86
    masternavmasternav Posts: 442member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

Word is already around that the FTC is going to recommend blocking the AdMob deal.

I consider iAds more dangerous than the issue of using Apple's tools only to create apps. While iAds is innovative and would be the first ads I would ever click on instead of ignoring it, this just stinks of anti-competitiveness.

I am one who believes tha eventually Apple will become as dominant Windows was and I can't blame the FTC in, at the very least, making a few calls about this issue. it may still to be too early in the game to do anything about Apple.

Truthfully you have more at risk from your local Licensing Bureau selling your data to commercial interests and general poor data protection by the government than you do from adMob or iAd. If it were Apple's aim to be truly ubiquitous in the space then I could conceivably agree with you. Apple has not given any indication that is the purpose of their platform however, if past behavior is any indication. In fact Apple has only gone after the high-end computing space, and the smartphone segment, not the entire market. I don't think that Apple has a vested interest in owning the smartphone space, just a significant portion of it - enough to ensure it can develop its platforms in relative surety of success against its user base.

You have more to fear from Google. It's rise to control in the search space is unprecedented. The fact that it owns datapoints derived not only from search, but gmail and all it's other tools and wishes to expand its data collection to the Android platform gives one pause. Google is not a search or mobile platform company - it is an ad revenue company and every give-away, every free app they develop is done for the express purpose of expanding the amount of data it can collect and use from it's users. They are skillful at leveraging pushbutton issues like open development for Android, free WiFi at airports and so on. The subtext to the "Do no evil" mantra they tout is "and anything that pushes our ends isn't evil". They are highly monetized, and generate hugh amounts of revenue from your use of their "products". But they are also very, very good at controlling exposure to their actual intentions.
  • Reply 62 of 86
    williamgwilliamg Posts: 322member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stuffe View Post

Simply all of the argument about the clause 3.3.1 (or whatever it is) boils down to people crying "Anticompetitive!" and "Antitrust!" because Apple won't allow cross compilation. That's the allegation. Just because it;'s flat out wrong (in my opinion) doesn't mean it hasn't been made.

OK. That's very different.

And that is but one of the allegations.
  • Reply 63 of 86
    williamgwilliamg Posts: 322member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by studiomusic View Post

Ok, what is the market then if not mobile phones and their apps?

I don't have that answer. But the relevant market is a crucial question.

Unless/until that is defined, then other questions too must remain unanswered.
  • Reply 64 of 86
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Ya' know...

If you look at a poster's join date, number of posts, and notice a consistent anti-Apple tone to them......

Ya' kinda' wonder why he/she is here...

Is it possible that he/she was banned under another name?

• Reply 65 of 86
    patranuspatranus Posts: 366member
    Last time I checked anyone can advertise using any method in their app
  • Reply 66 of 86
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    Sometimes we get so wrapped with our own views, we forget the basics. Not that I agree with all that is stated here, but the author gets it.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/36940238

CGC
  • Reply 67 of 86
    caliminiuscaliminius Posts: 944member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wondering View Post

This is a horribly one-sided statement and shows a remarkable ignorance of the workings of paid search, banner ads, re-targeting, et al. The level of information that Google has on you FAR exceeds the data Apple does. Apple has information about your music, video and book habits. Google has information on all of your searching done on google, purchases of anything that involves paid search, banner ad retargeting through DART, any purchases done through google checkout, and the list goes on. Furthermore, google OWNS all of that data and can use it to sell targeted advertising ad infinitum.

Pretty much everything you said only applies to desktops. I was talking about mobile advertising only, considering how AdMob and iAd are for that purpose only.

Quote:

Even more interesting is that on PC's there's a semblance of privacy by blocking cookies, multiple users, etc. On mobile devices, the unique identifier of the device is completely accessible to the applications and since typically a single individual uses a phone, the targeting is absolute to an individual (google, yahoo, etc can utilize this).

AdMob knows nothing about the data Google may or may not have on you. There is nothing connecting your iDevice to your Google account. Likewise for Yahoo! or anyother company except Apple. On the contrary, iAd could very easily connect your device to your iTunes account. You HAVE to connect your iDevice to iTunes, thus definitively making a connection between your device and the data Apple has on you.
  • Reply 68 of 86
    wonderingwondering Posts: 47member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

Pretty much everything you said only applies to desktops. I was talking about mobile advertising only, considering how AdMob and iAd are for that purpose only.

Not everything, but I'll go with it for conversations sake.

Quote:

AdMob knows nothing about the data Google may or may not have on you. There is nothing connecting your iDevice to your Google account.

It seems naive to believe that Google isn't going to integrate the data both ways upon completion of the purchase. They are a data company to the core and that data is key to revenue.

Quote:

On the contrary, iAd could very easily connect your device to your iTunes account. You HAVE to connect your iDevice to iTunes, thus definitively making a connection between your device and the data Apple has on you.

Which in my mind is fine as it's limited solely to app sold, music bought, books purchased. Is that any different than creating an Amazon account and purchasing through that account?

If Apple takes the next step - funneling all search, all browsing activity, all application activity, etc - through a data center and creating the SAME data that Google is (via search, gmail, google apps, etc - all tied to a specific user account), then it ends up being scary, but NO MORE scary than what Google is already doing.

If Apple does all of this, the only thing that they become is an equal competitor to Google. Apple is ramping up data, Google is ramping up hardware and OS. And both are leaving big, slow, MS in the dust.
  • Reply 69 of 86
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wondering View Post

All of the innuendo and rumors regarding Apple and anti-trust smell more like someones attempt to manipulate stock prices than actual facts and circumstance. I'll be real interested to see where this goes.

i think you nailed it there. so far it seems like a bunch of BS.
  • Reply 70 of 86
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Ya' know...

If you look at a poster's join date, number of posts, and notice a consistent anti-Apple tone to them......

Ya' kinda' wonder why he/she is here...

Is it possible that he/she was banned under another name?

...y'mean... "TeckSpud"?
  • Reply 71 of 86
    m2002brianm2002brian Posts: 258member
    Let me get this straight.

Apple owns the iPhone OS right?

But they are looking into an investigation for how they use their own property???

Does Toyota get investigated because they only use Toyota engines in their cars? Is that anti-competitive?

BTW. I just noticed my Sig wasn't centered. FINALLY!!!!
  • Reply 72 of 86
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by m2002brian View Post

Let me get this straight.

Apple owns the iPhone OS right?

But they are looking into an investigation for how they use their own property???

Does Toyota get investigated because they only use Toyota engines in their cars? Is that anti-competitive?

BTW. I just noticed my Sig wasn't centered. FINALLY!!!!

Your sig isn't centered because certain other people were littering the threads with centered posts. Result: no more centering.
  • Reply 73 of 86
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tazinlwfl View Post

This is all a plot by google and apple to create a super-giant conglmerate partnership and take over the world... Soon, Apple will buy Google and Eric will become vice president of the world...

Don't forget that Schmidt was one of Obama's chief economic advisors during the campaign.
  • Reply 74 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kerryb View Post

I wish the banking system had an organization overlooking it as closely as the FTC... oh wait they do, the SEC

..... and the OTF, OCC, Fed, FDIC, and the NCUA.
  • Reply 75 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post

In what area does Google have a monopoly?

In what area does Apple have a monopoly?
  • Reply 76 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Is it just me, or is anyone else getting the impression that all of the biggest and most successful companies are getting the shakedown by the government? I think many, if not all of these recent cases will end in fines. Regulators gone wild.

As a ~$250B company (and the third most valuable in the US) it seems to be par for the course. Google will be next.

Incidentally, it is also possible that the FTC may have been put up to this by Adobe, for all we know. If Adobe requested they do this, the FTC would be compelled to follow up.
  • Reply 77 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post

Unless/until that is defined, then other questions too must remain unanswered.

Perhaps you can start with this insight and stop asking stupid questions yourself.
  • Reply 78 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by masternav View Post

a slow news day, or webpage hit counts are down.

Is it news that the FTC or DOJ is thinking about maybe investigating Apple on these issues - depends (and I'm not talking about adult incontinence either).

<snip>

Sir, you are my hero.

Why are you not writing for AI?
  • Reply 79 of 86
    caliminiuscaliminius Posts: 944member
    Quote:

It seems naive to believe that Google isn't going to integrate the data both ways upon completion of the purchase. They are a data company to the core and that data is key to revenue.

That would be impossible on the iPhone without direct action on your part. How would Google go about connecting your phone to your Google account? It's unavoidable that your phone will be connected to your iTunes account.

Quote:

Which in my mind is fine as it's limited solely to app sold, music bought, books purchased. Is that any different than creating an Amazon account and purchasing through that account?

Amazon is one company. iAds is giving access to your data to multiple companies. Not to mention, don't you think the apps, music, movies, books, etc you buy tell an awful lot about you?
  • Reply 80 of 86
    wonderingwondering Posts: 47member
    Quote:

That would be impossible on the iPhone without direct action on your part. How would Google go about connecting your phone to your Google account? It's unavoidable that your phone will be connected to your iTunes account.

Log in to google via iphone and the ein is grabbed. Tie it to the account. Its not rocket science by any stretch and is something that is easily trackable and done daily already. Your point on unavoidability on iTunes is spot on.

Quote:

Amazon is one company. iAds is giving access to your data to multiple companies. Not to mention, don't you think the apps, music, movies, books, etc you buy tell an awful lot about you?

It gives an indication, but nothing conclusive to point a Personix class (or insert your other psychographic profile/company here) to with any predictive certainty.