Nintendo boss calls Apple 'the enemy of the future'

Comments

• Reply 41 of 99
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    Is this the same Nintendo talking head who praised Apple a few months ago?
  • Reply 42 of 99
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dreadkid08 View Post

Oh and the iPhone games are really that much better? I took a look in the store on my Mac and almost every game for iPhone (with the exception of Final Fantasy, Sonic, Megaman, and a few others) look like utter bulls***. I'd hardly call the games for the iphone/ipod touch/ipad quality games. Which would also explain their cheap prices

Final Fantasy is very playable on the iPhone. The action games are not. That said, there are enough decent iPhone games available to completely satisfy the "casual gamer." Since this has been Nintendo's target demographic for the past 5 years, they can see the door closing.

Nintendo will not be in the console business much longer. I can see them as a developer of a lot of deluxe games, of the sort that require special controllers and such, but I think it's lights-out for their legacy businesses.
  • Reply 43 of 99
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    This is what I was probably thinking of.

Nintendo admits 'dark' future if it can't differentiate from iPhone

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...om_iphone.html
  • Reply 44 of 99
    tawilsontawilson Posts: 484member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple was now its "enemy of the future."

Coming from the people who for their "next-gen (future) console just doubled the clock speed and shrank the processing. LOL

Nintendo is definitely the enemy of the future with the most woefully inadequate hardware of all console manufacturers.
  • Reply 45 of 99
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zindako View Post

Besides, its becoming apparent consumers want multi purpose devices, unlike the DS that can only perform one singular function.

Indeed. Amazon seems to have figured this out and made Kindle software for computers, iphones, ipads etc. So they could continue to sell their books

i wonder what would happen if Nintendo made ipad versions of some of their games. go back to the classics perhaps. I'm sure some of them are appropriate. And folks might be willing to pay $10-20 for such games.
  • Reply 46 of 99
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icyfog View Post

Is this the same Nintendo talking head who praised Apple a few months ago?

Yeah, why?

If Apple has not been doing good, they would not be an "enemy" now.
  • Reply 47 of 99
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

And the Tea Party speaks!

Seriously, these are completely bonkers statements. You are living in a fantasy world if you believe that stuff.

Know what the 'Bamster fav song is?!

GREASE! er, GREECE!

(sung in my best Obama sound alike voice. If only I could add a soundtrack for you to have a Karaoke sing along to the lyrics below)...

GREECE!

I can't solve any problems and I can't see the light

Gotta plug in the teleprompter, I gotta read it right

There ain't no danger if I can't go too far

TEA party stopped believing now and we can't be who we are

Greece is the word

They know the Union's is just a growing pain

Why don't they understand, the Unions are a crying gang

Their lips are lying only real is real

We have to fend off the right now we got to be what we feel

Greece is the word

Greece is the word, is the word that you heard

It's got riots it's got killing

Greece is sublime, is a disgrace is the non-solution

Greece is the way the U.S. is heading

We take your money and we throw it away

Accountability don't blame Obama he say

Tea Party chants and I can't make it that far

They start protesting now I can't be your Czar

Greece is the word

Greece is sublime, is a disgrace is a non-solution

This is the life of disillusion

Wrapped up in lies to keep up the confusion

What am I doing here?

We take your money and we throw it away

Accountability don't blame Obama he say

Tea Party chants and I can't make it that far

They start protesting now I can't be your Czar

Greece is the word

Greece is sublime, is a disgrace is the non-solution

Greece is the word

Is the word

Is the word

Is the word

Is the word

Is the word

Is the word

Is the word

Is the word

Obama: "now, er, I expect that royalty check! Okay!"
  • Reply 48 of 99
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

After experiencing its first drop in profits in six years, Nintendo is gearing up to turn its business around and sees Apple as a primary new competitor on the horizon.

According to a report published by the UK Times, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata reportedly told senior executives that the company has already won its war with Sony and that Apple was now its "enemy of the future."

Nintendo's confidence about have vanquished Sony is supported by the fact that its Wii outsold the PlayStation 3 by nearly double over the last holiday season, but Wii sales have also been falling off. In the first quarter, Nintendo reported sales down 21% from the year ago quarter.

Similarly, while Nintendo's DS remains the best selling handheld games machine, its position is now being encroached upon by Apple's iPhone and iPod touch platform.

Nintendo has recently focused its attention on broadening the market for video games outside of youths and dedicated male gamers. It famously and successfully positioned the Wii as a game console for entire families, girls, and older people.

However, Nintendo's expanded gamer demographics of high school girls and men 30-40 now say they'd rather have an iPhone than carry a DS, according to the report.

The relatively high prices of traditional console games also took a beating during the economic downturn, shifting the attention of many gamers toward Apple's iTunes App Store, where there are thousands of free games and most paid titles are less than $10.

I bowled a 266 in wii bowling
  • Reply 49 of 99
    ktronixktronix Posts: 12member
    Nintendon't

Seriously, I like the DS but love the iPhone.
  • Reply 50 of 99
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 4,014member
    The beauty part (or perhaps irony) is that Apple doesn't even make a dedicated gaming device. Games are just something that you CAN do on a Touch, iPhone, or iPad. They weren't designed specifically to do games. It's just something else you can do on them beyond their primary function..It's a bit like the TV industry calling my Samsung refrigerator its future enemy because it has a little video screen on the door!

I am also reminded about the great southern historian of the Civil War Shelby Foote who said the North beat the south with one hand tied behind its back. The south was going all out to win, but the north was waging war almost as a side game. Apple seems to be knocking out competitors it isn't even fighting.
  • Reply 51 of 99
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Anyway, back to my original thought on the Nintendo post...

Mario, you are not just toast!

Buddy, you're APPLESAUCE!

(with pork chops)
  • Reply 52 of 99
    goldenclawgoldenclaw Posts: 272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Indeed. Amazon seems to have figured this out and made Kindle software for computers, iphones, ipads etc. So they could continue to sell their books

i wonder what would happen if Nintendo made ipad versions of some of their games. go back to the classics perhaps. I'm sure some of them are appropriate. And folks might be willing to pay $10-20 for such games.

Excellent post.

I'm working on a research project and discovered that Apple's iBooks store has a really crappy selection. I don't necessarily like the formatting on some of Amazon's Kindle books, but I at least found electronic versions of around 8 of 11 books I was interested in. Apple's store? Zero out of 11. Amazon gets the sale.

So you have to give kudos to Amazon for adapting. The key to which companies survive and thrive in the next few years is no doubt the ability to adapt.

Regarding Nintendo games...Mario Kart would make millions on an iPad version, as well as some of their other classic games. Instead, the company that made Shrek Kart is making the millions. EA is no doubt making some good cash from versions of their games.
  • Reply 53 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ktronix View Post

Nintendon't

Seriously, I like the DS but love the iPhone.

Seriously, that's funny. Love your idea. But have you noticed that unlike its competitors (like Droid) in the phone market, Apple never names them, or compares itself to them? It just shows what it does. No putting down of the others. Guess that's a stance you can take when you're kicking everyone else's a**.
  • Reply 54 of 99
    williamgwilliamg Posts: 322member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Apple never names them, or compares itself to them? It just shows what it does. No putting down of the others.

They are always very gentle.
  • Reply 55 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Goldenclaw View Post

Excellent post.

I'm working on a research project and discovered that Apple's iBooks store has a really crappy selection. I don't necessarily like the formatting on some of Amazon's Kindle books, but I at least found electronic versions of around 8 of 11 books I was interested in. Apple's store? Zero out of 11. Amazon gets the sale.

I don't doubt your research, but how long has Amazon been selling books? How long has the iBooks store been open? What, 20 years versus 6 weeks? Cut the kids at Apple a little slack before writing them off.
  • Reply 56 of 99
    caliminiuscaliminius Posts: 944member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

Final Fantasy is very playable on the iPhone. The action games are not. That said, there are enough decent iPhone games available to completely satisfy the "casual gamer." Since this has been Nintendo's target demographic for the past 5 years, they can see the door closing.

Except that you're wrong on that. Nintendo has been targeting both the "casual gamer" via Wii Sports and such to expand their user base (and quite successfully) and the "hardcore gamer" with it's first-party franchises like Mario and Zelda. To "hardcore gamers", those titles sell systems (I would know; I got a Nintendo 64 for the specific purpose of playing that generation's Zelda).

Likewise, Nintendo has begun to adapt to the download market with their WiiWare and DSWare games for their systems. And the Wii itself was an adaption since Sony and Microsoft had fairly well locked up the "hardcore gaming" market.

Quote:

Seriously, that's funny. Love your idea. But have you noticed that unlike its competitors (like Droid) in the phone market, Apple never names them, or compares itself to them? It just shows what it does. No putting down of the others. Guess that's a stance you can take when you're kicking everyone else's a**.

And when they're not kicking someone's a**, they DO resort to put downs and comparisons. And NEVER actually show what a Mac can do (since it's really nothing special compared to a PC). And really, with the iPhone, all they did was leave the comparisons to AT&T handle.
  • Reply 57 of 99
    dbossmondbossmon Posts: 29member
    Well Nintendo Sell and app on the ipod touch/ipad/iphone and then sell the games in the app.

Its no duh to gamers that the graphics and the price are way better or on par with the DS. Make a product that what is up to date with the rest of the world and stop regurgitating the same IPs like pokemon without graphics update yeah people will stop buying.
  • Reply 58 of 99
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:

I don't doubt your research, but how long has Amazon been selling books? How long has the iBooks store been open? What, 20 years versus 6 weeks? Cut the kids at Apple a little slack before writing them off.

That was supposed to add credibility to his conclusion - I think. No research is required, we're all aware that the iBook store is very immature at this stage. Like you implied, though, give the kids in Cupertino time.
  • Reply 59 of 99
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    The wii is getting pretty outdated, you kind of need to expect some kind of slowdown at some point. They need to upgrade the Wii for starters and make the ds multifunction.
  • Reply 60 of 99
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    I disagree. Nintendo is its own enemy. I, particularly, enjoy innovation. If you continue to push the envelope and build awesome products, I'll in turn be happy to lay down my cash for your efforts.