New iPhone 4 prototype spotted in Vietnam

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2014
New pictures of Apple's next-generation iPhone have leaked, this time showing a newer and more refined prototype model than the one obtained by Gizmodo last month.

Vietnamese forum Taoviet published a series of photos, including a teardown of the hardware, revealing the marking APL0398, which is also on the A4 processor found inside the iPad. The rest of the markings -- 339S0084, K4X2G643GE, and YN6024Z3 -- are different, but the system-on-a-chip does include an Apple logo.

The new model also lacks the obvious screws visible in the Gizmodo photographs on either side of the Dock Connector, and is designated as being 16 GB rather than simply "XXGB." The back panel is also shown to be highly reflective, with a large back facing camera and LED flash.

As was revealed before, the new model uses the same micro-SIM as iPad, and the card now inserts into the side of the phone rather than the top end.

A video demonstrates that the device was also turned on, but was not running the iPhone OS. Instead, the screen displayed a graphic of an explosion that read "Inferno." At the bottom, text can be read that says "Start time: Run Bonfire!," "Duration: 0," and "Battery: 3 percent."

Additional photos of the device are pictured on the site.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 182
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,698member
    Looking forward to upgrading my 3G.

Looks like an A4 taking up most of the space on the main board.

Just a few more weeks until WWDC10.

Time will tell.
  • Reply 2 of 182
    ipilyaipilya Posts: 195member
    Here is the direct link to the forum post for those who want a view (before the site crashes completely).

http://taoviet.vn/showthread.php?t=16471
  • Reply 3 of 182
    t0mat0t0mat0 Posts: 58member
  • Reply 4 of 182
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    I might be in the minority who don't like it...it might grow on me... but so far it hasn't....

I liked how the tapered edges complemented the vertical and horizontal lines on the front with some curvyness. Now i'ts just a tad too boxy.
  • Reply 5 of 182
    vulcan1vulcan1 Posts: 56member
    Chop chop, i hear heads falling!

I'm still curious about the screen and resolution....Not so sure about the new design though, does honestly have a lot design similarities with the Nokia N78, N81, N85 etc the bezel on the sides i mean.
  • Reply 6 of 182
    dlcmhdlcmh Posts: 43member
    I really like the look of this new design.

And their video is much better made, and has more information than Gizmodo's.
  • Reply 7 of 182
    rd68krd68k Posts: 16member
    It seems, the Apple A4 version is the same as in iPad:

- The CPU die marking is the same: APL0398

- Samsung DRAM marking is the same: K4X2G643GE

- Apple PN identification (I believe) is exactly the same: 339S0084

The last marking part could be lot number: YN6024Z3

The package markings although are printed in a traditional for IC industry way - oriented to one side in several rows with clear indication of Pin1, for sure more practical to control than fancy 4-side printing on A4 in iPad :-)
  • Reply 8 of 182
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    hmmm. While I enjoy looking at these photos, I can't help to think about the nature of the articles AI posted regarding Gizmodo episode. It strikes me as a little hypocritical to now be eagerly posting these photos. I guess it wasn't so much that Gizmodo revealed trade secrets as it was that they got caught or paid for the phone.

Just wondering.
  • Reply 9 of 182
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    When I watched the video I felt like eating Phở soup

p.s. Can't wait to get my first iPhone this summer. I've been using a new iPod Touch in the meantime. Address Book, apps, everything all ready to migrate.
  • Reply 10 of 182
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

I might be in the minority who don't like it...it might grow on me... but so far it hasn't....

I liked how the tapered edges complemented the vertical and horizontal lines on the front with some curvyness. Now i'ts just a tad too boxy.

I said the same thing when the first pictures came out. (Of course, I also thought it was fake...) But I have reserved judgement until I can hold one in my hand.

I still remember seeing the pictures of the unibody case just before they came out with the unibody MBP and thinking that Apple had completely lost it. It looked boxy and industrial (not in a good way). A few weeks later at an Apple Store display window I saw one one of those sexy beasts up close and personal and had to throw out all my preconceptions.

Apple knows how big this version of the iPhone is for the company--I cannot believe that Ive and co would drop the ball on this one...
  • Reply 11 of 182
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    For the love of God someone get that guy some nail clippers!
  • Reply 12 of 182
    rokradrokrad Posts: 143member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

When I watched the video I felt like eating Phở soup

Hahahah me too! How bout that fantastic music in the background?

Hmmm this looks like the real deal for sure this time... whats going on with the leaks?
  • Reply 13 of 182
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Battery life is gonna be incredible I feel.
  • Reply 14 of 182
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techno View Post

hmmm. While I enjoy looking at these photos, I can't help to think about the nature of the articles AI posted regarding Gizmodo episode. It strikes me as a little hypocritical to now be eagerly posting these photos. I guess it wasn't so much that Gizmodo revealed trade secrets as it was that they got caught or paid for the phone.

Just wondering.

AI is here to give the people what they want. We want pictures of unreleased products? They link to them. We want Gizmodo crucified? They print stories about the investigation. AI never stopped linking to Gizmodo's site, you may remember...

That being said, I think there is probably some etiquette to a rumor and leak blog that Gizmodo seemed to violate--the whole public "we will pay for unreleased products" schtick just doesn't smell right... Also, if some employee wants to jeopardize his job or career by leaking photos or information, that is one thing, but taking possession of a clearly lost (if not stolen) prototype seems to go beyond...
  • Reply 15 of 182
    Not trying to be a killjoy here folks, but the first thing I thought when I saw this thing turn up in Vietnam, was the first prototype (Gizmodo's) was a fake or this one is a fake pawning itself off to be like the Gizmodo find... I know there are all the chip engravings and such, but just the first thing that popped in my mind.

That said, if either one of these is truly the new design of the iPhone, I am excited to get my hands on one for, features like, faster processor, higher screen res, led flash, front facing camera, and the expanding possibilities that come with iPhone OS 4.0, like "multi-tasking", etc.
  • Reply 16 of 182
    Any reason why the video did not show the phone running at all? And what were those vertical tic marks at the bottom of the screen--some sort of progress indicator?
  • Reply 17 of 182
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    I can guarantee you this is what it will look like. No more rounded play kiddy iPhones for soccer Moms. I think this is going to be the first serious iPhone for execs complete with all the new executive features and a more corporate design.

Btw, come summertime how do I migrate my iPod stuff to my new iPhone? Just use the iTunes back up and restore feature?
  • Reply 18 of 182
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    The video makes me like the new iPhone all the more. I didn't really like it at first, but am liking this now. Also, the way he was touching and rubbing the new screen--did it seem like this is a non-marking screen? I didn't see any fingerprints on the screen even after he kept touching it.
  • Reply 19 of 182
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    The California police are now going to break down doors in Vietnam?
  • Reply 20 of 182
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

Btw, come summertime how do I migrate my iPod stuff to my new iPhone? Just use the iTunes back up and restore feature?

Yes. When you plug it in for the frost ti e, it will ask you if you want to set it up as a new iPhone or restore it from a backup. You can just restore it from your iPod Touch's backup and you'll have all your saved games and everything transferred over. They will both still sync as separate devices, as well.