New iPhone 4 prototype spotted in Vietnam

Comments

• Reply 141 of 182
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rebelmusik View Post

Our exchange ended, it wasn't very deep. They said that they didn't like the design and they hoped that these leaked photos didn't represent the final design for the next iPhone, and I responded saying that these almost certainly represent the final design, considering images of both prototypes have been released so close to the date of the WWDC.

Anyone can copy and paste into Google language tools which is what the original poster could have done. I tried it it and it came out acceptable. If you do decide to respond in a foreign language maybe you should provide the translation of the original post and the response as a courtesy to the other English speakers on the forum.
  • Reply 142 of 182
    yesicanyesican Posts: 46member
    Lost = stolen? Since when?
  • Reply 143 of 182
    shubiduashubidua Posts: 157member
    Quote:

I saw someone post something in Italian, and I decided to respond to them in Italian. I figured their comment would probably not get any other responses (other than maybe the odd angry response in English), and so out of courtesy, I responded to them in the language they used because I can.

I hope you don't mean my response, there wasn't meant to be anything angry in it, just a request not to start off into a discussion in italian.

Quote:

Just my opinion, but I think English speakers who don't post on Non-English sites are probably not posting because they don't understand what they're reading (and probably don't visit non-English sites to begin with). Also, again just my opinion, but the fact that I responded to them in their language of choice and that I just took the time to translate our exchange, was kind, not rude.

As far as I'm concerned, I didn't consider your response rude, and appreciate that you took the time to translate. (Though I had figured it out by myself, I'm happy to see I was right with the translation )

In general I think that people don't post on sites when they don't understand the language, why would they? But if you understand something, and want to add your opinion, why change the language? Either try to do it in the language used on that site, or find a site in a language you can use, or am I completely of the track?
  • Reply 144 of 182
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

So, is the new iPhone going to be offered in 16/32/64GB variants or will it be 16/32GB with an 8GB 3G(S) at the bottom of the pile?

I have a feeling Apple will offer the new iPhone in 16/32 flavors with a 16GB 3GS as the $99 entry iPhone. The added features of the new iPhone would be enough for Apple to justify the higher price tag without having to double the GB footprint.

So my prediction is:

$99 16GB 3GS

$199 16GB 2010 iPhone

$299 32GB 2010 iPhone
  • Reply 145 of 182
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

That was an embarrassment to Adobe, I have to admit. However, the presenter (I forget his name) fixed the code and released another video showing Flash 10.1 on a Nexus One running Froyo (Android 2.2):

I wonder if Adobe is secretly still working on Flash for jail broken iPhones. That would certainly gauge the public desire for Flash if they had to jail break. Personally as much as I like programming and designing in Flash I can totally live without it on my iPhone. In fact without Flash blockers it would be a nightmare.
  • Reply 146 of 182
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yesiCan View Post

Lost = stolen? Since when?

When you don't make a reasonable attempt to determine the owner and return it.
  • Reply 147 of 182
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Why not? You are saying that asking is ruder? Because it was a request, not a demand.

I don't post English onto non-English sites, because I do think it is rude to do that.

I didn't mean to start anything, or in fact be rude myself, but yeah, it's ruder to say (or imply) "this is an English only site" or words to that affect than it is to inadvertently or innocently post something in your own language.

So what if someone says something in Italian or Chinese or Hindi?

I don't see any giant signs saying "English only." If they were carrying on a long conversation or something that would be rude, but a simple post or even a post and reply is no big deal IMO.

This site is based in the USA which is rather infamous lately for language intolerance in some areas and it could easily come across as rude to tell people that "we only speak English here" or words to that effect. I get now that the original poster probably didn't mean anything like that and we are all decent folks etc., but yeah, it seemed like an unnecessary (and therefore rude) comment to me.

My apologies for being rude by saying that something seemed rude? I guess?
  • Reply 148 of 182
    yesicanyesican Posts: 46member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

When you don't make a reasonable attempt to determine the owner and return it.

Say what? I'm walking down the street and find $100. I have to try to find out who the owner of it was- otherwise I've stolen it? Yeah-right.

What Utopian society do you live in?

The idiot who lost it should never have lost it in the first place- and yes he should have been fired.
  • Reply 149 of 182
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

This response was predicted. Kudos to the guy who predicted it!

This leak is the fault of Gizmodo.

Funny.

But you are twisting what I said of course. Also, consider that predicting something that's true or obvious or even a logical suggested possibility (that last thing is what I actually said), is a rather easy thing to do.

For instance I predict the sun will rise tomorrow.
  • Reply 150 of 182
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:

Say what? I'm walking down the street and find $100. I have to try to find out who the owner of it was- otherwise I've stolen it? Yeah-right.

The idiot who lost it should never have lost it in the first place- and yes - he should have been fired.

he is right. The lost property statutes state that if you find some thing, then if you choose to take possession of it you take on the responsibility to return it to the owner. If you do not, then it is considered theft. Taking it does not immediately amount to theft. What you do or do not do with it afterwards determines that. There are allowances that, if you follow the requirements, which include turning it into the police if/when you are unable to determine the owner or return it, then after a period of time, ownership will become yours legally. I think it is 90 days after the police post a public notice in California. Responsibilities and timeframes might be different elsewhere.

Found money might be a different matter. It could be considered unreasonable that you would be able to identify the rightful owner.
  • Reply 151 of 182
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

For instance I predict the sun will rise tomorrow.

Yes, but you are just being an optimist.
  • Reply 152 of 182
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

More pics here:

http://www.tinhte.com/threads/406545...83#post4388583

Thanks for the pics. Better quality and show the iPhone to be slimmer....My 3Gs all of a sudden looks 'round and pudgy!'

I want one!
  • Reply 153 of 182
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Found money might be a different matter. It could be considered unreasonable that you would be able to identify the rightful owner.

Like when I lost my money clip with a few hundred dollars in a bar. I came back the next day to inquire about it. They returned the money clip but not surprisingly minus the cash.
  • Reply 154 of 182
    xgmanxgman Posts: 159member
    Funny how there are still a few people that think these are fakes, rather than prototypes or such. Can you imagine what it would take to fake this? If they are fakes, then Apple needs to get on a plane and hire these people immediately.
  • Reply 155 of 182
    macosxpmacosxp Posts: 152member
    I hope this boxy thing is a new trend for Apple's mobile devices. A big problem with the iPad IMO is the curvy back. Makes it impossible to put on the table and type. But they've got to get some rubber pads on the bottom.
  • Reply 156 of 182
    anyone else notice they were playing the beegees: 'How deep is your love' in the background? Maybe that'll turn into how deep are your pockets?
  • Reply 157 of 182
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Ok wait, go back and look at your first link. The video at the bottom is the one I saw, and the update says it's based on a newer version of Flash mobile than what you saw crash.

so in other words, it's coming along.

Look, I guess we can only wait and see how this thing turns out. If 2.2 comes out and swarms of users are reporting crashes, then we can judge it to be garbage.

Basically, judging software in beta phases is like judging a sculpture in the middle of the artist's progress. It's not done! lol

Edit:

THE TABLET DIDN'T CRASH!!!

Look what the reviewer had to say:

*Update: Just wanted to clarify, flash didn’t crash here, I just accidentally hit the “home” button while I was really trying to hit the “back” button. Android users know that you get an error message if an app crashes, I know because I have a Nexus One. There’s hidden home,back, and power buttons (on the side of the prototype) u do not see in the videos/photos, sorry if that confused any readers.

So isn't THAT funny? Nobody is listening here, I know, but it just confirms the mentality of your average apple fan. The youtube video is FILLED with comments about how flash is fail and so is android and blah blah blah. Facepalm indeed

HILARIOUS.

As to your very first paragraph, I don't have to prove anything. Everyone already knows that as good as Flash is with animations, it's also good at crashing the browser.

BTW he didn't hit the home button. Watch carefully again. His thumbs are not even touching the device. Also you don't say 'Whoops" just for kicks when hitting the home button.

Quote:

That was an embarrassment to Adobe, I have to admit. However, the presenter (I forget his name) fixed the code and released another video showing Flash 10.1 on a Nexus One running Froyo (Android 2.2):

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIl1k7wX7Fk

As you can see, EcoZoo is one of the first things he runs and it turns out just fine.

It did run pretty well this time but again we really have no idea how this will perform. What you are citing is coming from Adobe. From controlled tests they it seems to run fine but every time they're is a live event, where there is no control, it crashes.

Quote:

Flashmobileblog did two tests for battery time and found that for playing a 17 minute video, the battery only drained 6%. They claim this equals roughly 4 hours of playing straight videos and 5 hours of Flash games.

http://www.flashmobileblog.com/2010/...-on-nexus-one/

Take it for what it's worth at the moment...

People are quick to judge at face value when it's a result that they want to see.

I'm not going to believe whatever the Flash Mobile Blog says about battery life. It would be like basing my purchase of a Mac based off of solely reading reviews from Mac websites. The main video I saw off Vimeo had the battery life dwindling as 10 minutes went buy. This isn't a unique experience since I had the same experience on my MBP. Also, from a 2009 MBP of Anandtech (amended):

Eight, freakin, hours. I couldn't believe it. In my lightest test, the new 15-inch MacBook Pro lasted eight hours and eight minutes.

I threw together another test just to make sure. The key flaw in my initial wireless web browsing test is that it none of web pages have any Flash on them.

I strung together 8 reviews on AnandTech and put them each on a single page, images and all. I then scoured the web for big, animated Flash ads and added anywhere from 1 - 4 ads per page; all Flash. Each page is designed to forward to the next after 10 seconds and the loop continues indefinitely. On each machine I opened three Safari windows and pointed them at the first page in the sequence. In the background, once more, I had iTunes playing MP3s.

Six and a half hours, out of a 5.5 lbs notebook. For comparison, the older MacBook Pro could only manage 3 hours and 17 minutes in the same test.

-------

In this review, based on just loading Flash ads, it sucked up 2 hrs. of battery life.

This is the same issue for the Joojoo that Engadget reviewed. It decreased battery life by 40% in Joojoo's estimates just watching video with Flash. Adobe said that they were not working with Joojoo which means you have to be working closely with them just to get Flash working properly.

Here is the problem:

-Flash will only work on smartphones with an 800 MHz or higher which basically means any phone from the Nexus One until today

-Since Flash is just a container for h.264 (at it's most efficient) it will no doubt take up more battery life than just playing the h.264 file

-Flash has now got to support 3 desktop platforms and 5 mobile OSs. There will be a platform that suffers because of preferential treatment. This is what essentially happened to the Mac and Linux against Windows. How successful will they be by adding another 5 OSs?

Maybe Flash may work on Android will work but I haven't seen it happen yet outside of a controlled environment.
  • Reply 158 of 182
    shubiduashubidua Posts: 157member
    Quote:

I didn't mean to start anything, or in fact be rude myself, but yeah, it's ruder to say (or imply) "this is an English only site" or words to that affect than it is to inadvertently or innocently post something in your own language.

So what if someone says something in Italian or Chinese or Hindi?

I don't see any giant signs saying "English only." If they were carrying on a long conversation or something that would be rude, but a simple post or even a post and reply is no big deal IMO.

This site is based in the USA which is rather infamous lately for language intolerance in some areas and it could easily come across as rude to tell people that "we only speak English here" or words to that effect. I get now that the original poster probably didn't mean anything like that and we are all decent folks etc., but yeah, it seemed like an unnecessary (and therefore rude) comment to me.

My apologies for being rude by saying that something seemed rude? I guess?

I can see and understand your point. It just disturbed me that the person wrote a post in italian as if it was most natural to do so, and that everybody would/could/should understand.

Anyway, I changed the post and hope nobody feels offended anymore.
  • Reply 159 of 182
    steviestevie Posts: 956member
    Quote:

Funny.

But you are twisting what I said of course.

A bit. Guilty as charged on both counts.
  • Reply 160 of 182
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Ok wait, go back and look at your first link. The video at the bottom is the one I saw, and the update says it's based on a newer version of Flash mobile than what you saw crash.

so in other words, it's coming along.

So?

The fact is that there is no full version of Flash for mobile devices available from anyone today. Yes, Adobe is now claiming that they've figured out how to do a demo without crashing, but they've been making promises wrt mobile Flash since 2007. Pardon me if I wait until it's something real rather than vaporware.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

Apparently the crashes were because it's in beta.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/19612...r_android.html

They have gotten Flash and up running on Android:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/11/a...exus-one-vide/

Funny post. First, you say that the OP's post doesn't count because it's a beta - and then you bring out a beta to try to counter them.

In the real world, it's vapor. You have a beta - but Adobe says it's been in beta since 2007. When it comes out, then we can evaluate it - but since it requires an 800 MHz A8, it won't have more than a tiny percentage of cell phones EVEN IF ADOBE MEETS THEIR TARGETS and even if it's any good.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I wonder if Adobe is secretly still working on Flash for jail broken iPhones. That would certainly gauge the public desire for Flash if they had to jail break. Personally

That's going to be tough unless they also have a CPU accelerator built in. They claim that mobile Flash requires 800 MHz - which no iPhone in the market has.

Quote:

The idiot who lost it should never have lost it in the first place- and yes he should have been fired.

Please make an effort to educate yourself before exposing everyone to your ignorance.

Under CA law (and the law in just about every state in the country), if you find an item and do not make a reasonable effort to return it, the item is classified as stolen.

You are right that a lot of people ignore the law when it comes to cash, presumably because it would be hard for someone to prove that a given $100 bill was theirs, but that doesn't change the law.